November 24, 2017, 03:17:31 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 407637 times)

YoungMin

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »
Girlfriend of 2+ years broke up this week. Sucks bad, but at least i know that i am going home for good in March.

Congratulations. Seriously though, that peace of mind is priceless.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
Everyone in my office just got handed ice cream except for me  :huh:

I missed out on a smoothie this week in the same way. Guess Korean smoothies are too spicy for foreigners.
I think its because sometimes I refuse things if I'm not hungry, especially if its sweets or deok, but I have NEVER refused ice cream!  :huh:

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
I want an ice cream now, damn it!

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:27 PM »

I missed out on a smoothie this week in the same way. Guess Korean smoothies are too spicy for foreigners.
I think its because sometimes I refuse things if I'm not hungry, especially if its sweets or deok, but I have NEVER refused ice cream!  :huh:

Nah, it's coz they hate you ;-)

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
Today I am sick, so my co-teacher gave me some meds at school...
I am no longer conscious of my sickness, but I am high AF!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Unrelated: I had some massive tattoo work done last weekend, and now it's getting itchy as f*ck.  Sitting here desk warming for another 2 hours might drive me insane.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:35:21 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »
cot just came and turned off my personal fan that was blowing at me and only me

why

Lmfao!  Did you ask "Why?"  Cause I immediately would have gone , "왜요?!" reflexively.  :laugh:

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »
Why are students in South Korea not taught how to hold pens and pencils correctly? This is so incredibly annoying especially when the students have terrible penmanship. I have boys who are in 6th grade and middle school whose writings look as if a 5 year old scribbled on the paper. One particular middle school boy stands out to me because he pinches his pencil between the tips of his thumb and all four fingers. How has no-one corrected this all these years?!
I forgot how excellent middle school boys' penmanship is in the West...
My guess is that since writing Hangeul is drastically different from writing in English, they might be holding their pen differently as a result. My Japanese friends hold their pens really weird ways in my opinion.
If only they had some sort of English teacher to help them improve their penmanship...

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »
Save energy, every Korean building on every Korean street is covered in neon lights, switch them off!
They're LEDs these days, granddad.  Very efficient, and low power consumption.
And quite literally modern lights use very little energy. Things that waste tonnes of energy are dryers, hair dryers, and surprising things like keeping your laptop in its charger.

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
Today is my birthday and I have a raging hangover from a rowdy teacher's dinner. I'm feeling the love at my school though... Everyone has told me some surprising things like they enjoy my teaching method (HUGE SURPRISE) or that they like me now that I've lost weight. Everyone's cutting loose apparently.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »
Today is my birthday and I have a raging hangover from a rowdy teacher's dinner. I'm feeling the love at my school though... Everyone has told me some surprising things like they enjoy my teaching method (HUGE SURPRISE) or that they like me now that I've lost weight. Everyone's cutting loose apparently.

Happy Birthday!  :azn:

Online walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »
My co-t is always making me yoghurt as she knows i absolutely love it. Today she brought me in a big dish of Greek style yoghurt with a bag of mixed nuts and cherry tomatoes to mix in it. Eatin it now, and it is good!

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
Yesterday I had to attend a welcome party for a room. No one acknowledged me in any way. I decided to go work at my desk and instantly had someone ask what I was doing. Best hour and a half ever!!

And today I have a hwesik. Let's do it again. And again next Tuesday...

Offline mystery

• Newgookin
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
Got a message from a friend from back home I haven't heard from in ages.

Anyway, here's a pointless story.

Last time I saw this guy was 5 years ago, the day I left for Korea. It's the morning and I'm super busy, finishing up my packing and getting things in order for the evening flight. He visits, and I notice he's brought along his portable hard drive. He asks if he can use my computer to copy some series, I say no worries.
Not long before, I knew he discovered my *ahem* 'private folder' and of all the freaking times he decides to raid my stash, today. I didn't give it much thought, since it's just one folder. You copy it, minimise the process and paste it, finish.

I go downstairs for a bit and leave him there and my mom and gran want to help me with some packing, in my room. He's still there and my PC screen is only just out of view from my mom and my gran, as we're sorting through some stuff.
I glance over and this SOB is not just copying my smut, but actually taking his time opening and appraising it before he gives it his seal of approval to copy. I'm giving him the evilest look I can imagine and he just casually carries on without a care in the world.

I'm convinced that every prophet, saint, angel and deity was stopping my gran and mom from slightly turning their head.

I got off the hook and was on my way to Korea.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
cot just came and turned off my personal fan that was blowing at me and only me

why

lol I chuckled out loud at that. Pretty much how I would imagine such a reaction. But just, "why." No question tone, just simply "why."

For a while there was a stash of various ice cream bars in our teacher freezer, because my coteacher and I decided to reward our students. Of course there were extra, so occasionally he would bring me one. They have some of the strangest ice-cream bar concepts.. They didn't taste bad, just strange. Of course I love the classic chocolates, vanillas, and cookies and cream(best).
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline zizitaji

• Waygookin
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
I start teaching on Monday with the GOE. I'm as excited as I am nervous . This isn't my first teaching gig, but my first one in Korea. I'm worried about so many things, I wish Monday would hurry up!

I'm worried about what to buy the staff at my new school ( and when to give it to them?~ ), I'm worried about ~introducing~ myself to several primary classes. I'm worried about it all.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:21 PM »
The buying things for staff- it's really not necessary. People go overboard with it and seems to cause more problems than it's worth. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your new job.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #316 on: August 29, 2015, 09:54:47 AM »
In my 6 years here I've yet to buy a co-worker a thing, and I've gotten along with all of them just fine.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »
My morning classes have been moved to the afternoon while students practice for Sports Day.  I'm watching them play Tug-of-War outside the window now. 
Also surfing the internet. 
Two days of deskwarming next week while students at my main school go on a trip.
 :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:48:42 AM by denimdaze »

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
All the kids at my school are out doing some sort of fitness test thing, and all the teachers from my office are out there with them. I'm just sitting here with my fancy new high-spec gaming laptop, coming closer every moment to firing up a game and hoping I can close it fast enough if and when my coworkers return.

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
My students told me that today's lunch was going to be delicious.

It was 순대. The one Korean food I straight up abhor. Sigh.