November 22, 2017, 11:53:38 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 405501 times)

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2900 on: February 16, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
Waygook.org user Chinguetti, that video you linked to has fewer than 2000 views. How did you ever find such a bizarre thing?

Apparently songs about eating chicken has a very small following, so both vids were one of the first hits in a search. Google's probably been waiting years for the opportunity to toss them out there.

Yikes.

You made some algorithm's day.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2901 on: February 16, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
Waygook.org user Chinguetti, that video you linked to has fewer than 2000 views. How did you ever find such a bizarre thing?

Apparently songs about eating chicken has a very small following, so both vids were one of the first hits in a search. Google's probably been waiting years for the opportunity to toss them out there.

Yikes.

You made some algorithm's day.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2902 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the story someone shared on here (as in the actual Waygook site, not just this thread), or know the name of the food that someone was talking about that was poisonous? I was talking with my bf about some odd foods, and mentioned the story I remembered reading on here about a teacher who went to a work dinner and was purposefully set aside at a different table because foreigners couldn't eat whatever they were about to partake in. He was indignant and tried it anyways and it turned out to be some sort of poisonous plant that Koreans eat and build up a tolerance to, but he got really sick. I also remember that he later looked it up and it was an ingredient in paint thinners.

I tried looking it up to show him and couldn't find anything so now he thinks I am exaggerating, haha.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2903 on: February 16, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the story someone shared on here (as in the actual Waygook site, not just this thread), or know the name of the food that someone was talking about that was poisonous? I was talking with my bf about some odd foods, and mentioned the story I remembered reading on here about a teacher who went to a work dinner and was purposefully set aside at a different table because foreigners couldn't eat whatever they were about to partake in. He was indignant and tried it anyways and it turned out to be some sort of poisonous plant that Koreans eat and build up a tolerance to, but he got really sick. I also remember that he later looked it up and it was an ingredient in paint thinners.

I tried looking it up to show him and couldn't find anything so now he thinks I am exaggerating, haha.
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=99295.40

?

It might be this:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=232064
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:43:13 PM by Pecan »

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2904 on: February 16, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »

?

It might be this:

Thats the one! The esl cafe post. Thanks Pecan! ^^

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2905 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:53 PM »
Happy to be able to help.

That soup is so nasty.  Those who eat it smell like they are dying afterwards.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2906 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »
Happy to be able to help.

That soup is so nasty.  Those who eat it smell like they are dying afterwards.
I have never seen it offered anywhere and I'm thankful I haven't, especially if it smells that bad too.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2907 on: February 16, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »
Now I want to try it. But I'll try anything. hahahaha

Even raw horse in Tokyo.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2908 on: February 16, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »

Even raw horse in Tokyo.
That's my general consensus on things as well, but not if it is going to poison me.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2909 on: February 16, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »

?

It might be this:

I'm always extremely skeptical when I see this topic come up. I've eaten it with young, totally normal, not-weird-food-eating friends before, and also never felt anything strange or unpleasant. I had no idea that 옻 was in any way special, or unique, or even that it meant anything. I thought it was just what you called big boiled chicken in the countryside.

My significant other, who is the polar opposite of old guys who eat traditional foods just because, and I have also eaten it together two or three times, too. Never had any reactions to it.

Dried lacquer tree is also in those garden variety 삼계탕 packets sold in every supermarket here, so it's not some obscure, weird thing that only ignorant, uneducated people eat.

I'm not a scientist or biologist, so I'm not saying that there's no possibility that it's bad for you. I'm just going off my experience eating it where I ate it with totally normal, educated people in their mid to late 20s who thought nothing of eating it, and I ate it and thought it was good, and didn't get sick.

Plus, lots of things we eat are totally safe in limited amounts, but potentially toxic or fatal at high levels. Things like, salt, alcohol, caffeine, Tylenol, etc.

So, take stories of this food with a grain of salt, maybe.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2910 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »

Even raw horse in Tokyo.

Then again, I've never had 옻닭 with that much 옻 tree life.

Also DANG where'd you get that raw horse life in Tokyo? I'd be hell of down.

I had raw chicken in Osaka, and it's in the high levels of best things I've ever eaten.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2911 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »

I had raw chicken in Osaka, and it's in the high levels of best things I've ever eaten.

There's a very foreign friendly Izakaya in Roppongi. 16 bucks for a little bit though. Hella expensive.

I've heard about the raw chicken thing. It was good? Hard to fathom...........

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2912 on: February 16, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »

There's a very foreign friendly Izakaya in Roppongi. 16 bucks for a little bit though. Hella expensive.

I've heard about the raw chicken thing. It was good? Hard to fathom...........

It was beyond good. Imagine the most flavourful chicken you've ever eaten. Now, imagine that flavour multiplied by 10, but not in an unpleasant way. I would never go to a big place and eat it, though. I was lucky enough to have a Japanese friend take me to a local and well-reputed place where I would've never been able to do without him.

Japan is best most wonderful fun :(

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2913 on: February 16, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »

It's true. I was talking to some other Canadians in an izakaya on my last night there a month ago. There's something magical about Japan that we couldn't quite put our fingers on.

I've thought about it and I think it's the eccentricity and absurdity on show there. They really took the American influence after WWII and................. Japanified it? The fashion, the design, the bizarre characters.

When I compare fashion in Korea and Japan, I always say that Korea took a lot more influence from France. Very demure, neutral, Earth colours that don't pop. The Japanese took a much more liberal approach and it's much nicer on the eyes from a unique and "eye-catching" perspective.

Same with Don Quijote, I mean, I'm trying to think of an equivalent store in Korea........ Daiso? No, that doesn't work. Emart? No.

Japan has been a true treat each time I've gone.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2914 on: February 16, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »

It's true. I was talking to some other Canadians in an izakaya on my last night there a month ago. There's something magical about Japan that we couldn't quite put our fingers on.

I've thought about it and I think it's the eccentricity and absurdity on show there. They really took the American influence after WWII and................. Japanified it? The fashion, the design, the bizarre characters.

When I compare fashion in Korea and Japan, I always say that Korea took a lot more influence from France. Very demure, neutral, Earth colours that don't pop. The Japanese took a much more liberal approach and it's much nicer on the eyes from a unique and "eye-catching" perspective.

Same with Don Quijote, I mean, I'm trying to think of an equivalent store in Korea........ Daiso? No, that doesn't work. Emart? No.

Japan has been a true treat each time I've gone.

Don Quijote is intense. Some of the sections they have in that store, it's so ridiculous.

But yeah. Magical wonderful joy land, truly. I'd love to go back there again and have a big fun, but unfortunately I have grownup life now.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2915 on: February 17, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
I'm bored as heck anyone have a boardgamearena account and want to play koi-koi with me? haha

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2916 on: February 17, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »
Seriously thinking about playing Sims on my computer.

But then I also have Rosetta Stone and I really should start using it.

But I also don't want to think today.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #2917 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
Since you’re all talking music…
I’m starting to make up a lesson for the phrase “I wonder….” So I thought of this song - . But in listening to it again it made me remember this song - that I enjoyed a few years ago. I’m not that musical but for some reason my mind made the connection. Maybe a musical person could tell me if I’m hearing things.

Oh wow, yeah - huge similarities there. I heard it right away with his 'wowowowo' and her 'wawawawawa.' That Park Ji-Yoon song is actually awesome. Great video, too.

No, not the singing. I think I figured it out. It's an early synthesizer called a claviolin. I agree that Park Ji-Yoon is awesome.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2918 on: February 17, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
Cats in full attack mode always remind me of Bugs Bunny.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2919 on: February 17, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
It's friday. Going to open a bottle of wine for the first time since Christmas and eat weird fake German hot dogs from a fake german hot dog place that has weirdly opened in my local swimming pool.

Wild.