September 21, 2017, 09:37:43 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353176 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2900 on: February 15, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
TIL that my boyfriend has strong opinions about Korean boy bands, while I can't even tell their members apart

EXO - "they try to be edgy but their idea of edgy is not having a shirt tucked in"
BTS - "they're like try-hard clownishly misogynistic and have the most neoliberal kpop song since female president, which is saying something"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2901 on: February 15, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
TIL that my boyfriend has strong opinions about Korean boy bands, while I can't even tell their members apart

EXO - "they try to be edgy but their idea of edgy is not having a shirt tucked in"
BTS - "they're like try-hard clownishly misogynistic and have the most neoliberal kpop song since female president, which is saying something"

Accurate opinions.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2902 on: February 15, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »

Accurate opinions.

I've always viewed EXO as kind of Big Bang lite

And now after watching a couple of BTS's music videos with the English translation at the bottom... yeah, definitely try-hard clownishly misogynistic

Still don't know what the most neoliberal song since female president is tho

EDIT: nvm Bulletproof just came on lmao

EDIT 2: ... or is it No More Dream...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:56:50 PM by moonbrie »

Offline Conner42

• Adventurer
« Reply #2903 on: February 15, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »

This is coming from a guy?  :huh: The hell does he spend the rest of his time on?
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2904 on: February 16, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »

Accurate opinions.

And now after watching a couple of BTS's music videos with the English translation at the bottom... yeah, definitely try-hard clownishly misogynistic

I have to disagree with any comparison of Big Bang to EXO. EXO is a dance group with completely fluff songs. They're 100% carried by their image and attractiveness to the target audience.

Big Bang, on the other hand, in recent years, had near-complete artistic control over what they were making. They didn't focus on their choreography over their music (they don't really dance in their videos or live performances, compared to other boy groups). Also, they're all weird. Like, a lot of boy groups have the stereotypical check box personalities - the cute one, the bad one, the funny one, the handsome one, etc. Big Bang members were all just kind of weird dudes.

Big Bang genuinely had a vested interest in what they were making and performing, where as I feel like EXO is just told what to do, and they do it (pretty well), but they're not really able to take credit for much, aside from being good looking and dancing really well. EXO are infinitely better dancers than Big Bang.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2905 on: February 16, 2017, 10:31:20 AM »
Also, they're all weird.  Big Bang members were all just kind of weird dudes.

Like Radiohead?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2906 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »

Accurate opinions.

I have to disagree with any comparison of Big Bang to EXO. EXO is a dance group with completely fluff songs. They're 100% carried by their image and attractiveness to the target audience.

Big Bang, on the other hand, in recent years, had near-complete artistic control over what they were making. They didn't focus on their choreography over their music (they don't really dance in their videos or live performances, compared to other boy groups). Also, they're all weird. Like, a lot of boy groups have the stereotypical check box personalities - the cute one, the bad one, the funny one, the handsome one, etc. Big Bang members were all just kind of weird dudes.

Big Bang genuinely had a vested interest in what they were making and performing, where as I feel like EXO is just told what to do, and they do it (pretty well), but they're not really able to take credit for much, aside from being good looking and dancing really well. EXO are infinitely better dancers than Big Bang.

Maybe I worded that wrong a bit. I mean like EXO is pretending like they're cool like Big Bang but ultimately they're just a corporate boy group trying to fake authenticity lol

They are really good dancers tho

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2907 on: February 16, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »

Accurate opinions.

Maybe I worded that wrong a bit. I mean like EXO is pretending like they're cool like Big Bang but ultimately they're just a corporate boy group trying to fake authenticity lol

They are really good dancers tho

100% accurate.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2908 on: February 16, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »

Like Radiohead?

I know you're being facetious, but I'll bite, anyways.

Apples and oranges.

Having a group of talented, eccentric dudes in a Korean pop group is pretty unusual.

Having a bunch of talented, eccentric dudes in arguably one of the best bands in the world like Radiohead isn't really unusual.

Also, I wouldn't even be able to compare Big Bang to Radiohead. That's like comparing a really rad plate of nachos (super delicious) to a meal prepared by a world-class sushi chef (also super delicious, but with way more of a pedigree).

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2909 on: February 16, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »
How are the Big Bang members weird dudes.

I honestly want to hear some stories about it because all I can find on them are "fun facts" and what G-Dragon thinks of their hairstyles.

Please tell me some stories or link me to a site that can give me some dirt.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2910 on: February 16, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »
Got an email back from the school district where I'll be living that as long as I fill out all the necessary paperwork and my health/criminal checks come back clean I can start work as a substitute teacher after doing orientation

They want all of my previous employers where I "worked directly with children" to fill out a form saying I've never been under any investigation for abuse though

I don't think it'll be too much trouble to get it filled out by my school, but if they count my volunteering at the women's shelter as "employment" this might end up being a real headache

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2911 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
Big Bang genuinely had a vested interest in what they were making and performing

http://www.koreaboo.com/video/g-dragon-impressive-annual-royalties-revealed-on-sbss-midnight-tv-entertainment/

SBS‘s Midnight TV Entertainment revealed that G-Dragon earns an estimated of more than 790 million won, or $710,786 U.S dollars, in royalties a year based off information taken in 2012. Given that since then, BIGBANG has released additional music, the current estimate is most likely even more.

Goddamn, that's a lot of money. Just off the publishing rights alone. G-dragon obviously has other streams of revenue (i.e. anytime he performs or shows up anywhere). The good thing about writing a song is it keeps paying you forever. Residual income.

Thinking about this makes me want to try my hand at writing K-pop songs. I'm really going to give a shot. Help me think of some lyrics guys and gals.

"A thread for pointless Friday ramblings." = big bucks for me...hopefully....

Is it possible?

People on here are often saying K-pop is second-rate...so possible to break into that market?

Throw me some song ideas.  8) :smiley:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2912 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »

Like Radiohead?

Apples and oranges.

Having a group of talented, eccentric dudes in a Korean pop group is pretty unusual.

Having a bunch of talented, eccentric dudes in arguably one of the best bands in the world like Radiohead isn't really unusual.

Also, I wouldn't even be able to compare Big Bang to Radiohead. That's like comparing a really rad plate of nachos (super delicious) to a meal prepared by a world-class sushi chef (also super delicious, but with way more of a pedigree).

Just kidding Cowboy!!  :-*

Love Radiohead and my teenage years would not have been the same without them.  When they first hit the scene, everyone was surprised by them as being different or depressing.  But boy were they good.  I'd love to play some to my students but I just worry that it would depress them even though most Koreans have heard 'Creep', while much of the stuff from 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer' have been missed.  Two of the finest albums ever. 

K-Pop on the other hand....  While I give Big Bang credit for being around for 8/9 years, I just can't justify the existence of 'here one day, gone the next' manufactured bands.  There is no talent in that, jiggling around and synchronised dancing crap, but students love it.  One man's meat is another man's poison, and all that I suppose. 

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2913 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
How are the Big Bang members weird dudes.

I honestly want to hear some stories about it because all I can find on them are "fun facts" and what G-Dragon thinks of their hairstyles.

Please tell me some stories or link me to a site that can give me some dirt.

TOP's instagram is bizarre. He's also a huge art toy collector.
GD is just weirdly androgynous and unique.

I'm not a big enough fanboy to know all the other members' stuff, but yeah - they all actually have personalities. Like, real ones. Not what they were assigned by the studio.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2914 on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
most Koreans have heard 'Creep'

I've noticed that, too. Was it used in a Korean drama? Movie?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2915 on: February 16, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »

I'm not a big enough fanboy to know all the other members' stuff, but yeah - they all actually have personalities. Like, real ones. Not what they were assigned by the studio.

They kind of sound like Prince, in all for reals.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2916 on: February 16, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »

Like Radiohead?

Apples and oranges.

Just kidding Cowboy!!  :-*

Love Radiohead and my teenage years would not have been the same without them.  When they first hit the scene, everyone was surprised by them as being different or depressing.  But boy were they good.  I'd love to play some to my students but I just worry that it would depress them even though most Koreans have heard 'Creep', while much of the stuff from 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer' have been missed.  Two of the finest albums ever. 

K-Pop on the other hand....  While I give Big Bang credit for being around for 8/9 years, I just can't justify the existence of 'here one day, gone the next' manufactured bands.  There is no talent in that, jiggling around and synchronised dancing crap, but students love it.  One man's meat is another man's poison, and all that I suppose.

I think I'm the only person alive whose favourite Radiohead album is Amnesiac.

I can get that people don't like Kpop, but like, my favourite bands or artists are NIN, Alexisonfire, The Mountain Goats, Radiohead and Kanye West. I appreciate talent and good music. But I can also get down with some 2NE1 or Big Bang. Or Hyuna. We must praise Hyuna. There are about 50 bad or forgettable Kpop groups for every one respectable one, though. That's totally true. Western pop is rad, too. Like, some Taylor Swift or Carly Rae Jepsen? UGH SO GOOD.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2917 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:01 AM »

They kind of sound like Prince, in all for reals.

Yeah. I mean, I'm not one of the people who suddenly started worshiping Prince as the paragon of weird pop artistry after he died, but gotta give mad respect to the dude. And your comparison is actually really fitting.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2918 on: February 16, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
Also, so many people were complaining when Radiohead didn't play 'Creep' in their set here. Like, you just got to witness the show of a lifetime, and you're complaining that they left out 'Creep,' which at that point they hadn't played live in literally years?

C'mon.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2919 on: February 16, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
most Koreans have heard 'Creep'

I've noticed that, too. Was it used in a Korean drama? Movie?

People in the audience are clapping along to the song....  :cry:  That's it, I'm outta here.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment