November 22, 2017, 11:55:06 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 405504 times)

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2880 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
TOP's instagram is bizarre. He's also a huge art toy collector.
GD is just weirdly androgynous and unique.

I'm not a big enough fanboy to know all the other members' stuff, but yeah - they all actually have personalities. Like, real ones. Not what they were assigned by the studio.

They kind of sound like Prince, in all for reals.

Yeah. I mean, I'm not one of the people who suddenly started worshiping Prince as the paragon of weird pop artistry after he died, but gotta give mad respect to the dude. And your comparison is actually really fitting.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2881 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »
Also, so many people were complaining when Radiohead didn't play 'Creep' in their set here. Like, you just got to witness the show of a lifetime, and you're complaining that they left out 'Creep,' which at that point they hadn't played live in literally years?

C'mon.

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2882 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
most Koreans have heard 'Creep'

I've noticed that, too. Was it used in a Korean drama? Movie?

People in the audience are clapping along to the song....  :cry:  That's it, I'm outta here.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2883 on: February 16, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »
It's weird the Western songs Koreans know vs. don't know. For example, they know and like to listen to What's Up? by 4 Non Blondes but generally don't know more famous songs from that era. Maybe has to do with whether I song was used in an advertisement they know or TV show?

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2884 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
There was this song by Swedish singer Lasse Lindh in the drama 'Bubblegum' a while back, and it's really nice.  When I went to see my friends in Sweden....they'd never heard of him though.

I'll give them their dues for finding stuff like this.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2885 on: February 16, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »
Also, so many people were complaining when Radiohead didn't play 'Creep' in their set here. Like, you just got to witness the show of a lifetime, and you're complaining that they left out 'Creep,' which at that point they hadn't played live in literally years?

C'mon.

They mostly stopped playing it after being sued by this band:

After mid-1998, Radiohead did not play the song live at all until the final encore of a 2001 hometown concert at South Park, Oxford, when they played it in a seemingly impromptu decision after an equipment failure on the organ just after the start of "Motion Picture Soundtrack". Thom Yorke commented that they would be playing a "slightly older song... I think."

After the 2009 Reading Festival, "Creep" was not heard live for seven years until 2016, when the song was performed several times throughout the tour promoting their ninth studio album, A Moon Shaped Pool. Thom Yorke got the idea of bringing it back when someone spent the majority of a concert shouting for it. He stated, "We just said, ‘Let’s see what the reaction is, just to see how it feels."

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2886 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
I like the tune of Lost Stars

I think part of the reason might be tho that Koreans tend to like slow ballads more than Americans (imo)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2887 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
There was this song by Swedish singer Lasse Lindh in the drama 'Bubblegum' a while back, and it's really nice.  When I went to see my friends in Sweden....they'd never heard of him though.

Most Americans have probably never heard this song:

...but it reached #1 in Korea.

What can explain that? Maybe a couple of lines of the lyrics are a bit corny / awkward / pretentious in my opinion (subjective I know, I could be wrong), and the language barrier hides that to some degree.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2888 on: February 16, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
I like the tune of Lost Stars

I think part of the reason might be tho that Koreans tend to like slow ballads more than Americans (imo)

And it seems Once and Begin Again (same writer/director) are more popular in South Korea than elsewhere. There's a big fantasy/dream to become a musician among many Koreans. Moreso than in other countries? Possibly; I get that impression. And yes, soft ballad music is really popular in the ROK. All across Asia in general maybe?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2889 on: February 16, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
How on did my post end up before yours haha

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2890 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »
It's weird the Western songs Koreans know vs. don't know. For example, they know and like to listen to What's Up? by 4 Non Blondes but generally don't know more famous songs from that era. Maybe has to do with whether I song was used in an advertisement they know or TV show?

My Co-Teachers couldn't believe that I'd never heard Lemon Tree.

Did some research, it's a one hit wonder from Germany from the mid 90s.

The better question is, why have Koreans heard of it? hhahahaa

Online Conner42

• Adventurer
« Reply #2891 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
And yes, soft ballad music is really popular in the ROK. All across Asia in general maybe?
Living in China. Yes, they really prefer the slow, insipid, soft crap that makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

Fun times in Asia ^^

I travelled to Spain recently and it was refreshing to hear upbeat songs occasionally. I mean, a lot of it was still kind of crap, but at least it was upbeat.
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2892 on: February 16, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »

My Co-Teachers couldn't believe that I'd never heard Lemon Tree.

Did some research, it's a one hit wonder from Germany from the mid 90s.

The better question is, why have Koreans heard of it? hhahahaa

SAME I thought the kids were messing with me when they used it as an answer in a game

I was like uhhh are you sure that's a real song and you're not just making this up

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2893 on: February 16, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #2894 on: February 16, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »
Since you’re all talking music…
I’m starting to make up a lesson for the phrase “I wonder….” So I thought of this song - . But in listening to it again it made me remember this song - that I enjoyed a few years ago. I’m not that musical but for some reason my mind made the connection. Maybe a musical person could tell me if I’m hearing things.

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2895 on: February 16, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
Park Ji Yoon... WTF did I just watch  :laugh:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2896 on: February 16, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »
Since you’re all talking music…
I’m starting to make up a lesson for the phrase “I wonder….” So I thought of this song - . But in listening to it again it made me remember this song - that I enjoyed a few years ago. I’m not that musical but for some reason my mind made the connection. Maybe a musical person could tell me if I’m hearing things.

Oh wow, yeah - huge similarities there. I heard it right away with his 'wowowowo' and her 'wawawawawa.' That Park Ji-Yoon song is actually awesome. Great video, too.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2897 on: February 16, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
I keep thinking about chicken.

You can really hear the similarities in this song.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2898 on: February 16, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »
I keep thinking about chicken.

You can really hear the similarities in this song.

Waygook.org user Chinguetti, that video you linked to has fewer than 2000 views. How did you ever find such a bizarre thing?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2899 on: February 16, 2017, 11:44:50 AM »
Waygook.org user Chinguetti, that video you linked to has fewer than 2000 views. How did you ever find such a bizarre thing?

Apparently songs about eating chicken has a very small following, so both vids were one of the first hits in a search. Google's probably been waiting years for the opportunity to toss them out there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:47:05 AM by Chinguetti »