September 25, 2017, 08:10:44 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356137 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2860 on: February 10, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
Going home! Excited to see my kitties and my boyfriend, not so excited for the job-hunting process x_x

He reminded me that hummus exists today. How many other delicious foods have I forgotten about that I need to immediately shove down my throat??

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2861 on: February 10, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
How is everyone gearing up for the end of the school year? Getting ready for the next school year? Changing schools? Going home?

Changing schools and towns. Going from after school education centre back into good ol' 1 main school 2 incredibly tiny rural schools. No more phonics basics 6 times a week. Very happy about it. Been a roller coaster getting here, but I know deep down that this is absolutely the best thing for me. Have had far too much exposure to toxicity this year. Humans can be awful. It almost broke me down enough that I honestly thought I needed to just flee the country. However all the amazing humans around me have rallied and helped this wonderful change to happen.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2862 on: February 10, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »
How is everyone gearing up for the end of the school year? Getting ready for the next school year? Changing schools? Going home?

Am in a ethical quandary about renewing at my school, so looking at various options.  Long story short, new teacher coming to my school, I know something about them from a long time ago that means I cannot literally teach with them in a daily co-teaching basis, as I find them kind of abhorrent.  Not a personality thing, though.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2863 on: February 10, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »

Am in a ethical quandary about renewing at my school, so looking at various options.  Long story short, new teacher coming to my school, I know something about them from a long time ago that means I cannot literally teach with them in a daily co-teaching basis, as I find them kind of abhorrent.  Not a personality thing, though.

Is he a holocaust denier? lol

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2864 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
^lol

Getting ready to go on vacation, finally. Hoping a break away will give me a good reset and I'll look forward to when classes start again instead of dreading it. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2865 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »

That would make things much much easier.  :P

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2866 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

Haha, I was thinking more along the lines of getting inappropro with a student or something like that. It's always the first thing I think of whenever someone says something about a teacher like what you have.

I don't expect you to confirm or deny this, btw. Probably doesn't need saying, but I just don't want you feeling like I'm trying to push you into giving details.

In fact, I encourage you NOT to. xD It's more fun to speculate anyway.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2867 on: February 10, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
Got my coteacher to tell me the name of my replacement but I can't find her on facebook

DANG IT

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2868 on: February 10, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »

Haha, I was thinking more along the lines of getting inappropro with a student or something like that. It's always the first thing I think of whenever someone says something about a teacher like what you have.

I don't expect you to confirm or deny this, btw. Probably doesn't need saying, but I just don't want you feeling like I'm trying to push you into giving details.

In fact, I encourage you NOT to. xD It's more fun to speculate anyway.

inappropro is my favourite new word.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2869 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
kids are coming around asking me to sign their yearbooks but since I have 420 students I only know a handful personally and just write the same generic shit on all of them  :undecided:

I wonder if the ones who ask me are the ones who really like me or if they're just trying to collect 'em all? haha

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2870 on: February 10, 2017, 03:26:26 PM »
today was graduation at my elementary school. i've never understand the point of the whole brouhaha for graduation at elementary and middle school here considering it's literally impossible to NOT graduate.

it's like giving someone a prize and a bunch of flowers for remembering to breathe. "well done Minsu, you didn't kill yourself today, here's some candy!"

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2871 on: February 10, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
Why does severance pay exist?  Is it common in jobs in the US?

Coming from the UK, it seems such a bizarre (yet brilliant) thing to be rewarded for voluntarily leaving your job.  Before coming to Korea I only ever associated severance with redundancy.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2872 on: February 10, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »

Coming from the UK, it seems such a bizarre (yet brilliant) thing to be rewarded for voluntarily leaving your job.  Before coming to Korea I only ever associated severance with redundancy.

In Canada, it is not uncommon in collective agreements.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2873 on: February 10, 2017, 03:53:54 PM »

I think it's meant to be more an incentive for completing your contract. You don't get it if you leave early. And it's more money if you work longer.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2874 on: February 10, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »

severance pay is common in contract situations where you want to encourage people to actually finish their contract period

otherwise, typically you only get severance pay when you've been laid off or deemed redundant

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2875 on: February 11, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
Why does the bottom row of bananas get cracked skins here?

Never seen this in North America.

Offline ksmtw

• Waygookin - I can PM now!
« Reply #2876 on: February 13, 2017, 12:15:43 AM »
Good question about the bananas. What a mystery. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2877 on: February 13, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »

My theory is that it's so dry here. But it happens during the summer, too, so I don't know.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2878 on: February 13, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »

It has to do with the ripening process. Bananas are very sensitive to a bunch of variables, including how long they've been left on the plant before harvesting, temperature, humidity, climate, and other fruits near it. This is why professional banana ripeners (yes, that's a real profession) are paid a TON of money to cultivate them. There's a lot of science behind the fruit.

Western grocery stores go through a lot of pains to prevent this phenomenon by controlling the climate of the store, keeping the fruits near the back of the store, and stacking only certain fruits next to other fruits -- for example, this is why you won't see apples and bananas right next to each other in most western grocery stores (apples give off an ethylene gas that will cause bananas to ripen faster).

In Korea, less painstaking effort is put in. The bananas are fine, though. They're just more ripe and got to that point in a less graceful manner.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:19:51 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2879 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment