September 21, 2017, 09:38:30 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353182 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2840 on: February 09, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »
I've been given the chance to change my apartment for the coming school year and I'm thinking of doing it.

Love my current apartment but my new neighbours are a little bit noisy.

My plan would be to get an officetel at the top of a building.  Generally, is the noise insulation better in officetels?  Or does it differ case by case in which case moving is just another lottery?

Is a definite lottery.  What I found is that if you have a top floor officetel, the heat disappears quickly in the winter.  Also make sure you have windows at either end of the apartment to allow for air circulation.  I had one a few years back with one big main window and it was mentally hot because it couldn't circulate the heat in summer so had to have the air-conditioner on a lot and then in the winter it had awful condensation. 

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2841 on: February 09, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Dave; helpful as always.

My gut feeling is to stay put because apart from my neighbours, everything else with my current place is perfect.

I'll think it over some more!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2842 on: February 09, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Dave; helpful as always.

My gut feeling is to stay put because apart from my neighbours, everything else with my current place is perfect.

I'll think it over some more!

I think I moved officetel three times way back, my school was cool with it as they signed one year contracts.  Sometimes a change of scenery is nice.  I went from the small officetel in a building with other foreign teachers (3 years) to a bigger top room with a mezzanine floor in the same room.  That was good but effing cold in the winter as the ceiling was soooo high and all the heat went up and the walls were thin, and there was a disgusting foreign teacher and another Korean couple/pimp-wife combination who'd make so much noise.  Then moved downtown in my small city to that room with one window but a view over the park and could see the sunset, which was nice but I mentioned about the condensation/heat thing. 

You never know, the noisy bunch could move out and then you'd be like Alice in Wonderland. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2843 on: February 09, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the new Grandeur looks a lot like the SM6?  ;D

Or is it just me?  :-[

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2844 on: February 09, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »
I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2845 on: February 09, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

You're not alone.   :laugh: :cry: :blank:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2846 on: February 09, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
I've been given the chance to change my apartment for the coming school year and I'm thinking of doing it.

My plan would be to get an officetel at the top of a building.  Generally, is the noise insulation better in officetels?  Or does it differ case by case in which case moving is just another lottery?

Is an option to get a housing allowance and get your own place? If that's an option, that's number one premium best. Most 부동산 can speak at least a decent amount of English, and that way you don't have to gamble with your living situation.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #2847 on: February 09, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
Just remembered it's not Friday yet.....

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2848 on: February 09, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »

Is an option to get a housing allowance and get your own place? If that's an option, that's number one premium best. Most 부동산 can speak at least a decent amount of English, and that way you don't have to gamble with your living situation.

I think taking the allowance would amount to just about the same situation.  They're saying I can pretty much choose wherever I want and they'll sort it out (which I prefer over doing it myself).

After having mulled it over for most of the day I think I'll just stay where I am.  Feels too risky to move to what could be an even worse neighbour situation.  Out of the frying pan... 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2849 on: February 09, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
Funny. I had bought some "fancy" art pens that were like a few bucks each, but turns out I much prefer the cheap Monami plus pens in the office that are common as pidgeys. Cost does not necessarily reflect superior quality.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2850 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Funny. I had bought some "fancy" art pens that were like a few bucks each, but turns out I much prefer the cheap Monami plus pens in the office that are common as pidgeys. Cost does not necessarily reflect superior quality.

Monami everything is awesome. I love my some sign pens, and the big Monami markers are baller AF.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2851 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »
I need more Monami in my life.

Seriously, the tips are so fine on these Plus Pen 3000s.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2852 on: February 09, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
I need more Monami in my life.

Seriously, the tips are so fine on these Plus Pen 3000s.

I've never used them, but even their garden variety Sign Pen and Name Pen are respectable. And the 153 is such a rad ballpoint pen. I admit it sucks compared to expensive pens, but like, it's a million times better than basic Bics.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2853 on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
I think I need to find a friend with a dog so that I can get a daily fix. And then that dog will shower me with love and make my friend jealous because this is the natural order of things. Really missing shaking rumps and puppy kisses. I need to stop watching dog vids. (;__;)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2854 on: February 10, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
There are a handful of dogs in my hood that I like to visit when I go into town.

There's one dog that gets so excited she pees when I reach out to pet her.  :undecided: This has happened several times now so I don't think it's just coincidence...

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2855 on: February 10, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
I saw an episode of The Dog Whisperer where a dog did that. Had something to do with how excited the dog would get. Oh, the controversy that show kicked up in some communities.

Consequently, the South Park episode where they had Cesar Milan visit to "train" Cartman is still one of my favorites.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2856 on: February 10, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
There's one dog that gets so excited she pees when I reach out to pet her. 

That happened to one of my friends a few years ago...although in my friend's case, the dog ended up peeing on my friend's shoe/foot when that happened. Haha.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2857 on: February 10, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
How is everyone gearing up for the end of the school year? Getting ready for the next school year? Changing schools? Going home?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2858 on: February 10, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
Getting ready for the new school year, but that's not a lot of work since my main school is still my main school. My secondary school is changing, though.

But it feels like everyone wants to do something on the weekends right now. And not just the chilling in town sort of somethings, they all want to travel, as if traveling durng their vacations wasn't enough, so it's like they've got to slowly "wean" themselves back into work mode.

It's really hurting my monies. Dx I'm having fun, though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:20:26 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2859 on: February 10, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »
Graduation ceremony for my middle school third graders was yesterday, and it was bittersweet. Classes at my school are gender segregated, and although the 3rd grade boys were generally pretty awful, the 3rd grade girls were the best classes I've taught in my 5 years here. I'm really bummed to see them go.

Semi-related, but seeing all their friends, families, and well-wishers there to share in the moment with one another seems to have sent me spiraling  into an existential crisis. That's always a fun way to spend a weekend.  :laugh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment