November 19, 2017, 09:15:12 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402334 times)

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
I don't know what I was expecting... but I was still caught of guard by the rudeness, etc... from the students.

What year do you teach??  My high schoolers have never had an NET before (at this school).  They're all in a tizzy over me being here and are so respectful....so far  :wink:

5/6th Elementary.
IMO the worst age to teach. Depending on the school they can either be monsters, or getting them so speak is like pulling teeth.

Yup. I am debating if I should Sign for a 3rd year. The school is good, the apartment is good, CT's are for the most part enjoyable. However, it's just a nightmare to teach these kids.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
I don't know what I was expecting... but I was still caught of guard by the rudeness, etc... from the students.

What year do you teach??  My high schoolers have never had an NET before (at this school).  They're all in a tizzy over me being here and are so respectful....so far  :wink:

5/6th Elementary.
IMO the worst age to teach. Depending on the school they can either be monsters, or getting them so speak is like pulling teeth.
My 5th and 6th graders were great last year, but it took some work.  I came in August, so my current 6th graders were 5th graders at the time.  They homeroom teacher was brand new and very shy, so they were horrendous to her.  They liked me and knew I didn't tolerate the bullsh*t, so usually in my class they were fairly controllable.  This year we got a new male teacher for 6th grade who is young, but very good with them.  That coupled with already knowing me had made them much better in class--and their English had improved so much more!

Fortunately my 4th to 5th grade kids were super sweet, and there were only 3 of them, so no issues there.  My travel school kids were all similar for both grades.  I think the smaller the school or class, the easier it is to nip the disrespectful bullsh*t before it gets rolling.  But if they're big....god help you...  :huh:

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »
Computer in the English classroom has been broken all week. I have my first open class on Monday. Crossing my fingers that it's fixed by then. :/

I am excited about the weather cooling off though. Fall is my favorite season. At the risk of sounding like a basic you-know-what, does Korea Starbucks get pumpkin spice lattes? Or can you find pumpkin spice stuff anywhere?

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
Why do these books have "We need to save the earth" as an English lesson?  Don't get me wrong, of course the children should learn about that...but why does it have to be in English?  I assume they learn this in their other classes, so why in English?!

It was the same thing when I taught in Japan as well.  "Let's volunteer" lessons, "Let's be eco-friendly."  Enough! The students already come to an age where they don't like learning English, so why give them these topics?

Ok rant over, thanks for letting me vent!  I will move on from now!

ChrisKorea

« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
I am so hungry yet I don't want to heat in that hot, stuffy cafeteria with a bunch hot people who can't understand that no, maybe I don't want to be there, maybe eating with them isn't the greatest thing in the world, though how do I know they think this, I'm just assuming it, but I really want to eat alone.

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »
Why do these books have "We need to save the earth" as an English lesson?  Don't get me wrong, of course the children should learn about that...but why does it have to be in English?  I assume they learn this in their other classes, so why in English?!

It was the same thing when I taught in Japan as well.  "Let's volunteer" lessons, "Let's be eco-friendly."  Enough! The students already come to an age where they don't like learning English, so why give them these topics?

Surely its better than a lesson about vegetable gardens? That was scrapping the barrel. I mean half of these kids will never have seen a garden considering they live in those ugly boxes.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I totally agree.  The vocabulary is always so random for it too.  I feel like they were just desperately grasping for topics to fill the rest of the book.

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »
I want a topic about terrible Konglish in one of the books. Like "What is Glamor?"

Have you noticed that when a Korean lady is spotted with "glamor" MS kids will be all offended cover their eyes (well the girls) and when its a Western lady sporting a similarly low cut top then its a "ohhhh" and the like.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I totally agree.  The vocabulary is always so random for it too.  I feel like they were just desperately grasping for topics to fill the rest of the book.

During middle school, I was forced to teach strictly from the textbook. The students had to listen and repeat a full page on the history of pencils and balloons...

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »

During middle school, I was forced to teach strictly from the textbook. The students had to listen and repeat a full page on the history of pencils and balloons...

One of my younger studentsThe textbook stinks of piss and it's making me retch.
:lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:  :undecided:

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »

Surely its better than a lesson about vegetable gardens? That was scrapping the barrel. I mean half of these kids will never have seen a garden considering they live in those ugly boxes.

You are right, that is really scrapping the barrel!

That is pretty bad.... :shocked:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
I'm excited because we have a teachers dinner tonight and we are having 쌈밥,  but I know its going to be an hour or so of people talking about me but not to me. But hey FREE DINNER.

Offline MartinBrez

• Veteran
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2015, 11:40:27 AM »
I'm excited because we have a teachers dinner tonight and we are having 쌈밥,  but I know its going to be an hour or so of people talking about me but not to me. But hey FREE DINNER.

Me too as I'm leaving next week.

The text book I use with fifth and sixth grade kids is sh*te! The topics about the environment annoy me too.

Save energy, every Korean building on every Korean street is covered in neon lights, switch them off!

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
Save energy, every Korean building on every Korean street is covered in neon lights, switch them off!
They're LEDs these days, granddad.  Very efficient, and low power consumption.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
Today I am sick, so my co-teacher gave me some meds at school...

I am no longer conscious of my sickness, but I am high AF!

Korean medicine is SO strong!  :huh:

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
Today my 5th grade class, which I teach alone, would not be quiet, stay in their seats, or generally do anything they were supposed to.  I made them write the storytime part of the lesson in their English notebooks.  Then I showed them the game that we would have played had they cooperated.

I wonder how next class will be. I did get an apology from a few students.

:sad:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
Everyone in my office just got handed ice cream except for me  :huh:

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
They're LEDs these days, granddad.  Very efficient, and low power consumption.

If they were turned off they would consume even less power. I propose a chapter on The Night Sky and how you can't see a thing because of all the light pollution.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:44:31 PM by Nivea »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Girlfriend of 2+ years broke up this week. Sucks bad, but at least I know that I am going home for good in March.

Sorry to hear that. I've decided recently that I'm going home next August for sure. That means my current relationship will also end.  Hope you are doing okay!

Offline The 13th Earl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »
Everyone in my office just got handed ice cream except for me  :huh:

I missed out on a smoothie this week in the same way. Guess Korean smoothies are too spicy for foreigners.