May 28, 2018, 01:25:43 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 660241 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2780 on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
Got my coteacher to tell me the name of my replacement but I can't find her on facebook

DANG IT

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2781 on: February 10, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
kids are coming around asking me to sign their yearbooks but since I have 420 students I only know a handful personally and just write the same generic shit on all of them  :undecided:

I wonder if the ones who ask me are the ones who really like me or if they're just trying to collect 'em all? haha

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2782 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
today was graduation at my elementary school. i've never understand the point of the whole brouhaha for graduation at elementary and middle school here considering it's literally impossible to NOT graduate.

it's like giving someone a prize and a bunch of flowers for remembering to breathe. "well done Minsu, you didn't kill yourself today, here's some candy!"

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2783 on: February 10, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
Why does severance pay exist?  Is it common in jobs in the US?

Coming from the UK, it seems such a bizarre (yet brilliant) thing to be rewarded for voluntarily leaving your job.  Before coming to Korea I only ever associated severance with redundancy.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2784 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »

Coming from the UK, it seems such a bizarre (yet brilliant) thing to be rewarded for voluntarily leaving your job.  Before coming to Korea I only ever associated severance with redundancy.

In Canada, it is not uncommon in collective agreements.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2785 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »

I think it's meant to be more an incentive for completing your contract. You don't get it if you leave early. And it's more money if you work longer.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2786 on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:14 PM »

severance pay is common in contract situations where you want to encourage people to actually finish their contract period

otherwise, typically you only get severance pay when you've been laid off or deemed redundant

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2787 on: February 11, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Why does the bottom row of bananas get cracked skins here?

Never seen this in North America.

Offline ksmtw

• Explorer
« Reply #2788 on: February 12, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
Good question about the bananas. What a mystery. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2789 on: February 13, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
Why does the bottom row of bananas get cracked skins here?

Never seen this in North America.

It has to do with the ripening process. Bananas are very sensitive to a bunch of variables, including how long they've been left on the plant before harvesting, temperature, humidity, climate, and other fruits near it. This is why professional banana ripeners (yes, that's a real profession) are paid a TON of money to cultivate them. There's a lot of science behind the fruit.

Western grocery stores go through a lot of pains to prevent this phenomenon by controlling the climate of the store, keeping the fruits near the back of the store, and stacking only certain fruits next to other fruits -- for example, this is why you won't see apples and bananas right next to each other in most western grocery stores (apples give off an ethylene gas that will cause bananas to ripen faster).

In Korea, less painstaking effort is put in. The bananas are fine, though. They're just more ripe and got to that point in a less graceful manner.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:19:51 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2790 on: February 13, 2017, 08:30:04 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2791 on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
LG U(+) is/ has roll(ed) out wifi on trains for those unfortunate souls who went with them.

I think. I saw a wifi sticker today inside a subway car.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2792 on: February 13, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »
What constitutes a post needing to be checked by moderators?  I replied to the person wanting advice about some Poly schools, amongst other things using a reddit link.  Is that bad?  :sad:

YoungMin

« Reply #2793 on: February 13, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Why is youtube asking me to verify my age again? If I was old enough 12 months ago how could I possibly not be now?  :lipsrsealed:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #2794 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Why is youtube asking me to verify my age again? If I was old enough 12 months ago how could I possibly not be now?  :lipsrsealed:

It's like when we're asked for our diplomas and criminal record checks again.

"Yes, I'm still a graduate of university."

Can't immigration have a file on us with some boxes that are ticked? CO2 graduated X uni in X year. That's been confirmed. His 3rd job doesn't need an apostilled copy. His first job covered that shit.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2795 on: February 13, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »

It's like when we're asked for our diplomas and criminal record checks again.

"Yes, I'm still a graduate of university."

Can't immigration have a file on us with some boxes that are ticked? CO2 graduated X uni in X year. That's been confirmed. His 3rd job doesn't need an apostilled copy. His first job covered that shit.

Are you really trying to bypass bureaucracy?

Society would fall apart without redundancy. Anarchist.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2796 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »

You're one of Karl Pilkington's freaks.  The one who keeps getting younger.  Or you're a hairy Chinese kid.  Not sure.  Will get back to you.

Offline teacherhannah

• Waygookin
« Reply #2797 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
Speaking of bananas, I wish there was a grocery store or market anywhere near me that sold bananas by weight instead of bunch. I can't eat 9 of them before they go too ripe.  :huh:

put your extras in the freezer and reap the benefits of delicious banana bread. If you don't have an oven you can make it in a crock pot or experiment with some dodgy stovetop baking.

Online shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #2798 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »

put your extras in the freezer and reap the benefits of delicious banana bread. If you don't have an oven you can make it in a crock pot or experiment with some dodgy stovetop baking.

Rice cooker banana bread is also a thing. I've made it. The texture is a bit different, but it works out. Lots of recipes online for alternative uses for a rice cooker.

Offline DaStrongOne

• Adventurer
« Reply #2799 on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

Rice cooker banana bread is also a thing. I've made it. The texture is a bit different, but it works out. Lots of recipes online for alternative uses for a rice cooker.

You can make pancakes too. Bananas, eggs and some protein powder is delicious with some syrup on top.