September 22, 2017, 01:37:05 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353894 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2780 on: February 01, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
Random coworker showed up to work today! Bearing gifts from vacation! I received a nail clipper from Singapore (got a fun merlion design) and a woven cup (pencil holder?). Super practical, I dig it.

I got lazy with my gifts for my co-workers.  Before I'd buy in the country before departing, now I get them in the airport, or the transfer airport I go through.  No one knows the difference.  :wink:  With two of my old co-teachers we have a 'buy a t-shirt from the country you go to', so I have loads of t-shirts from countries I've never been to.

My coworkers at my main school all got lipstick cases from my trip to Bali. Hopefully they never find out how cheap these little things were.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #2781 on: February 01, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »
Anyone else have to do multiple "sign-in" sheets for deskwarming? I think it's weird since I didn't have to do this last year at all and am now being told that it's normal.

Makes me think that someone played hooky and got caught and/or the office of education is being paranoid.  :shocked:

And where would I even go?? It's a friggin' island, lol. There's not even a cafe to bum around.

I didn't have to do a single day of desk-warming for either summer or winter vacation. Today is my first day in after over a month of vacation. Guess I got lucky.

It has made me spoilt, though. I only have 8 working days left, and probably will only have classes on 6 of those days, yet I have no ambition to prep or do anything. I just want this silly February "semester" to be over with so I can get out of here.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2782 on: February 01, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »
Today started disastrously but somehow it seems like everything's going to be okay.

I woke up at EIGHT THIRTY for no good reason at all; my alarms went off but I somehow managed to ignore all of them. Immediately freaked out, called my coteacher because that's what I was told to do the time when I was an hour late, she didn't pick up, I texted her, called the principal, she didn't pick up, texted her too. Couldn't put my files onto my usb fast enough so that meant I'd have to do prep at school except I was late so I had no time for prep. Was definitely gonna get yelled at by JB.

....But I arrived at school and the schedule's been pushed back a half hour, so I have time to prep, and JB isn't at work today, so no getting yelled at, and the principal just wanted to make me tea, and one of my classes was cancelled.

How?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2783 on: February 01, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
Strugglebunny, you are one lucky goose. Honestly deskwarming ain't too bad as I'm pretty much doing the same things as I would if I were at home but my main gripe is just the cold. Brrgh!

Moonbrie, sounds like the karmic gods decided to throw you a bone!

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #2784 on: February 01, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
My 5th graders just discovered the song "what does the fox say" during vacation. I feel like they're a couple years late but it's cute watching them try to agree on how to write the lyrics.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2785 on: February 01, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
Moonbrie, sounds like the karmic gods decided to throw you a bone!

Here's hoping it's a sign of good things to come lol

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2786 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
So the previous autumn and winter have been blighted with awful air quality with the dust and micro dust, which got me worried about what is going to happen in the spring when the yellow dust blows over from the Gobi?  Double shit?
Since spring time is very dry in northern China and Mongolia, and since that is where the prevailing winds are from, yeah, we're going to see a lot of dust. Of course China is also going to gift us with its manufacturing pollution as well.

Silver lining is that as the temperatures rise, the need for coal generated heat (both in China and locally) is going to abate somewhat, so I figure there will be significantly less of that, at least.

Overall, I imagine that air quality will remain similar to how it is now but with a rise in >10 μm particulates and a drop in 2.5 μm.

Hopefully it'll be a short spring and the humid summer swampiness will arrive quicky to soak all the pollution out of the air!  :P

Anyway, good thing that portable heva filters are so stylish!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:08:17 PM by kyndo »

Online kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2787 on: February 02, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
I've been informed that I don't have to teach morning classes for te rest of the year (wow, a whole 4 classes...) which i think is my ct not wanting me to see that shes just gunna play movies for the kids. But thats fine by me as long as she doesn't see that my afterschool classes are just recycled games that the kids liked the first time... I mean... review classes...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2788 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »
This morning one of my students was sitting near my desk and went "Teacher!! Orange hair! ...And yellow??? Red too! Rainbow! You dyed your hair rainbow!"

I reminded him that rainbows include other colors like green, blue, and purple (I use yellow, orange, red, and pink dye to achieve a "fun yet professional" blend of colors) but he kept insisting "Teacher rainbow!!!!!"

:laugh:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2789 on: February 02, 2017, 01:48:13 PM »
This morning one of my students was sitting near my desk and went "Teacher!! Orange hair! ...And yellow??? Red too! Rainbow! You dyed your hair rainbow!"

I reminded him that rainbows include other colors like green, blue, and purple (I use yellow, orange, red, and pink dye to achieve a "fun yet professional" blend of colors) but he kept insisting "Teacher rainbow!!!!!"

Can you perhaps post a similar picture from the interwebs? I'm so curious as to what this tooks like.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2790 on: February 02, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
My desk is so goddamn warm, my god. Tremendously warm. Huuggeeeeeely warm.

Korea, this is your tax dollars at work. SAD!
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2791 on: February 02, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »

Can you perhaps post a similar picture from the interwebs? I'm so curious as to what this tooks like.

Alright, I did my best...

Sort of like this but inverted, and not as nice because I didn't get it professionally done. I had my friend dye it in 5 layers from top to bottom: pink-orange mix, yellow, pink, red, orange. So you can see the pink red etc best when I put my hair up, and the yellow is easily visible especially on the back of my head since I tend to put my hair in two sections over each shoulder

This one's also similar just in terms of color - my roots are only 2-3 inches long though, so like this but going up higher on the hair

(is there code I can add to make these pictures less obnoxiously large lol)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2792 on: February 02, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
Korea, this is your tax dollars at work. SAD!

If you're working hard planning lessons, it's not a waste.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2793 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
On an unrelated note, I made a thread on this cat forum about my poor diabetic baby and the one person who's interacting with me a lot seems to keep forgetting previous things in the thread [very condensed here]

:undecided: : [some data on my cat's blood glucose] and his current dose is 12 units
 :-[ : Wow, that's really high!
 :undecided: : Yeah he doesn't seem to be responding to the insulin and was diagnosed 6  months ago, his dose has been increasing since then
  :-[ : What dose did your cat start on?
 :undecided: : 1  unit twice a day
 :-[ : Has the vet suggested increasing his dose?
 :undecided: : He... he's up to 12 units...?

:rolleyes:

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2794 on: February 02, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »
My desk is so goddamn warm, my god. Tremendously warm. Huuggeeeeeely warm.

What you trying to say here CO, either you're at school or your house is on fire.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2795 on: February 02, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »

Alright, I did my best...

Sort of like this but inverted, and not as nice because I didn't get it professionally done. I had my friend dye it in 5 layers from top to bottom: pink-orange mix, yellow, pink, red, orange. So you can see the pink red etc best when I put my hair up, and the yellow is easily visible especially on the back of my head since I tend to put my hair in two sections over each shoulder

This one's also similar just in terms of color - my roots are only 2-3 inches long though, so like this but going up higher on the hair

(is there code I can add to make these pictures less obnoxiously large lol)
So preetttyyyy

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2796 on: February 02, 2017, 03:21:46 PM »
I was thinking about changing it up but I do actually get compliments on my hair color a lot so I  think I'm gonna stick with it for a while

When I go back to the US though I might ask a professional to make it look even prettier tho

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2797 on: February 02, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
That's pretty gorgeous. I'm thinking about doing an ombre style when I'm done with my contract-- keeping the upper part natural black and then bleaching/dyeing the lower part some bright unnatural colors (maybe lilac hues). I've never bleached my hair before and don't want to destroy it so I feel like just dyeing the lower part that can later be chopped off is a safe venture. I really dig the oil spill look

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2798 on: February 02, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »
It's 36F/2C outside, so my coteacher opened the window to let some of the warm air in. This stale stuff in the office was turning my fingers into icicles, but now with the sun and fresh air I think I'm slowly thawing.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2799 on: February 02, 2017, 03:34:45 PM »
That's pretty gorgeous. I'm thinking about doing an ombre style when I'm done with my contract-- keeping the upper part natural black and then bleaching/dyeing the lower part some bright unnatural colors (maybe lilac hues). I've never bleached my hair before and don't want to destroy it so I feel like just dyeing the lower part that can later be chopped off is a safe venture. I really dig the oil spill look

I'd looove to get the oil spill look but part of my hair is already lightened and I don't want to process it even more

It's naturally curly and dry and I've already damaged it too much with dye, so since the summer  I've just been adding semi-permanent dye on top of the already lightened hair so I can enjoy color without killing it

I shaved my head 3.5 years ago and I've been fastidiously growing it out ever since so cutting it off is not an option lol

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment