September 27, 2017, 03:20:17 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 357726 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2760 on: January 17, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
Why do Koreans always close the curtains and blinds and close out the outside world?  I went to the English room now and the blinds are all closed and the heating is on while they are studying.  It isn't massively bright outside and it is the same in the teachers room, blinds closed so no natural light.  Just seems strange to me as my wife does the same thing.  I love a nice sunset, sunrise and general natural sunshine, but the majority of Koreans I know are the same, like it is not interesting or pleasurable to see.  Just musings....

My co worker does the same..it drives me mad. It makes it so dingy and the students end up getting sleepy.

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #2761 on: January 18, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
The other day I went to an "Italian" restaurant with some coteachers. It was the first time I'd been there and they had "lasagna" on the menu. I ordered it out of curiosity and because my coteacher said it was good.

Needless to say my expectations weren't high, but what they brought out was a very shallow round casserole dish full of soupy tomato sauce and cheese, with a thin limp layer of overcooked lasagna noodle in the middle. It makes me depressed just thinking about it.

The worst part is it cost 12,000원. ㅠㅠ
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:06:58 PM by bluehermione »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2762 on: January 18, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
Yeah, they don't really know what good pasta is here. xD ESPECIALLY if the sauce is tomato-based.

There are a few really good places in Noksapyeong, Seoul. If you're ever in the area, give one of them a try. One restaurant is actually owned and run by an Italian man, and his stuff is legit. Can't remember the name of the place, though. If anyone else knows of what I'm talking about, please drop the name.

I'll follow-up if I can remember the name.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:02:40 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2763 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:47 PM »
There are some pretty nice italian restaurants here but there are also... "Italian" restaurants. I once tried a "lasagna" that was pretty abominable. I haven't had much red sauce here as I'm partial to cream based sauces (and I also don't like eating spaghetti without garlic bread and am very disinclined toward the sweet variant often found here lol).

I've had some pretty good cream and carbonara pastas though.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2764 on: January 18, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Looks like wstewi17 is trying to pull an AgentScarn!
 :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:36:12 PM by kyndo »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2765 on: January 24, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »
Anyone else have to do multiple "sign-in" sheets for deskwarming? I think it's weird since I didn't have to do this last year at all and am now being told that it's normal.

Makes me think that someone played hooky and got caught and/or the office of education is being paranoid.  :shocked:

And where would I even go?? It's a friggin' island, lol. There's not even a cafe to bum around.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2766 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »
Anyone else have to do multiple "sign-in" sheets for deskwarming? I think it's weird since I didn't have to do this last year at all and am now being told that it's normal.

Makes me think that someone played hooky and got caught and/or the office of education is being paranoid.  :shocked:

And where would I even go?? It's a friggin' island, lol. There's not even a cafe to bum around.

Me too...but, its just a list of dates on my desk. Pretty easy to fake  :laugh:

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2767 on: January 24, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
But you're supposed to sign in and out daily...because a higher up can stop by a school at anytime unannounced to check is what I heard. It's better to be honest and follow the rules.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2768 on: January 24, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »
Yes of course you're right, but Im just saying it seems a bit silly to do it that way.

Its interesting that its in other areas too, i thought it was because this year our POE said definitely definitely no staying and "working from home" for anyone. Whereas in the past they left deskwarming up to the principal.  Is this the same in other places?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2769 on: January 24, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure I heard the same thing, at least for EPIK teachers, but I'm not 100% on that. In any case, my school expects me to stay at the school for my entire deskwarming period. Which I'm actually okay with because I have a ton of materials I can work on, and the internet, Hulu and Netflix are there for me for when I need to take a break from that.

And I'll also be the only one in the office, so I'll probably end up doing yoga and stuff in between, too.

My home away from home.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:39:07 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2770 on: January 25, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
First day back to deskwarming.  According to cool messenger there is only one other person in the whole school so far.  And I'm okay with that - I'd prefer to be left alone.

I have no sign in sheet, but I think cool messenger logs when I log in, so they have that way of checking I guess. 

I made a list of things to do during deskwarming (constructive or school related).  It's not a long list.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2771 on: January 25, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
I just had to fill out sign-in sheets for last year's deskwarming periods. Lol. Apparently these are for calculating my salary and my school didn't know so we're doing them now.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2772 on: January 25, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
I made a list of things to do during deskwarming (constructive or school related).  It's not a long list.

I've decided every day, to write a long email to a friend who I've not emailed for a long time.  I think in the modern day of short sns messages etc a nice long email is a good thing to do. Since my winter classes finished last Tuesday, I'm on six days, six emails.  Going well so far.  I was kind of lucky as my school allowed me to go home on 23rd December for two weeks so I'm not too bothered about coming into school.  The VP said I can come to school from 9:30 to 3:30, which is fine by me.  After new year, gonna try and get a fair few lesson plans done for the new semester and do some remodelling in my English classroom.  Think time will pass quickly....

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2773 on: January 25, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
Saw Lalaland. Funnily today I saw a good many posts on my FB feed about how it was "overrated."

I didn't go in with any expectations other than to have a good time. It was like cotton candy fluff-- an enjoyable treat but not a substantial meal nor would I expect it to be.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2774 on: January 25, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
Saw Lalaland. Funnily today I saw a good many posts on my FB feed about how it was "overrated."

I didn't go in with any expectations other than to have a good time. It was like cotton candy fluff-- an enjoyable treat but not a substantial meal nor would I expect it to be.

I haven't had a substantial meal since Interstellar TBH.

Any big ones I've missed these days?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2775 on: January 26, 2017, 02:45:28 AM »
I haven't had a substantial meal since Interstellar TBH.

Any big ones I've missed these days?

Nocturnal Animals. Great performances, great cinematography and a compelling story. Tom Ford can direct the shit out of a movie.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2776 on: January 26, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
I need to catch up on some newer films. Interstellar is still on my to-watch list. Lately I've been rewatching old stuff. I really like Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, etc) and Terry Gilliam. The former died too young and the latter doesn't appear to have been very active in a while.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2777 on: January 31, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
So the previous autumn and winter have been blighted with awful air quality with the dust and micro dust, which got me worried about what is going to happen in the spring when the yellow dust blows over from the Gobi?  Double shit?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2778 on: January 31, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
Random coworker showed up to work today! Bearing gifts from vacation! I received a nail clipper from Singapore (got a fun merlion design) and a woven cup (pencil holder?). Super practical, I dig it.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2779 on: January 31, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
Random coworker showed up to work today! Bearing gifts from vacation! I received a nail clipper from Singapore (got a fun merlion design) and a woven cup (pencil holder?). Super practical, I dig it.

I got lazy with my gifts for my co-workers.  Before I'd buy in the country before departing, now I get them in the airport, or the transfer airport I go through.  No one knows the difference.  :wink:  With two of my old co-teachers we have a 'buy a t-shirt from the country you go to', so I have loads of t-shirts from countries I've never been to. 

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment