November 19, 2017, 09:12:28 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402325 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2720 on: January 11, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
I think I have a Coupang problem now. Made another order-- had to get some tomato paste to make this chili mix. In order to get the free rocket delivery, I threw in some salsa and chips as well. Half are original flavor and the other beef fajita. Not sure how the latter's gonna turn out but both have great ratings! Excited~

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2721 on: January 11, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
I think I have a Coupang problem now. Made another order-- had to get some tomato paste to make this chili mix. In order to get the free rocket delivery, I threw in some salsa and chips as well. Half are original flavor and the other beef fajita. Not sure how the latter's gonna turn out but both have great ratings! Excited~

Why not just buy tomato paste (puree) from costco?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2722 on: January 12, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »
Tomorrow I'm doing an activity with them that I'm even more anxious about because it requires even more creativity than the past activities.

But that's how I planned it. To gradually go from activities that require the least amount of creativity to the most. I've been working them up to more spontaneous, creative speaking.

But I'm still nervous lol

I am starting to think your first name is actually Nellie...

Hur hur  :P

I used to wonder why I was so anxious and what was wrong with me. Then my dad told me that in his younger days, he would actually break out in hives before going to court (he was a lawyer) and had a prescription for Valium. My brother is also deeply anxious.

It runs in the family lol

My sister used to be like that. I am sure you're over thinking a lot of the stuff. As long as the kids are having fun, and they are learning something and practicing, it will be fine. I will say, I am glad you got the reference, or at least I am assuming you did.  :P

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2723 on: January 12, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »

Why not just buy tomato paste (puree) from costco?

If you mean a physical store, the nearest one I know of is like 5 hours away. If you mean online, I just haven't tried shopping there yet (would you need a membership card just to shop online? Or be able to just sans discount?). I gave Coupang a shot cause I kept hearing about it and found enough stuff to get free shipping each time. They also don't charge me extra fees for being super rural so long as I buy enough to get free shipping, whereas some places do regardless of "free" shipping.

Also, chef boyardee's and chunky's. Hahaha

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2724 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
Tomorrow I'm doing an activity with them that I'm even more anxious about because it requires even more creativity than the past activities.

But that's how I planned it. To gradually go from activities that require the least amount of creativity to the most. I've been working them up to more spontaneous, creative speaking.

But I'm still nervous lol

I am starting to think your first name is actually Nellie...

Hur hur  :P

I used to wonder why I was so anxious and what was wrong with me. Then my dad told me that in his younger days, he would actually break out in hives before going to court (he was a lawyer) and had a prescription for Valium. My brother is also deeply anxious.

It runs in the family lol

My sister used to be like that. I am sure you're over thinking a lot of the stuff. As long as the kids are having fun, and they are learning something and practicing, it will be fine. I will say, I am glad you got the reference, or at least I am assuming you did.  :P

It did take me a minute, lol. I was like... do you think I'm someone you know irl?

As usual, it went (fairly) well. The kids were a little like oh noo this sounds hard but since they're good students they took a crack at it and they did well! Good practice for them doing some semi-spontaneous speaking, which they get so little of in class.

Tomorrow is the last day, so for once I'm not worried about it. They're just continuing to work on a project they started yesterday and then we're having a pizza party  :cheesy:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2725 on: January 12, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
Someone brought in mini croissants this morning and the VP was calling me over, and then the Head Teacher, but I didn't realize it for a good minute because they were using my first name and not my last name, like nearly everyone else

:laugh:

I'm really Korean now

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2726 on: January 13, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Last day of camp and we ended up using the whole entire camp time letting the kids finish up their travel pamphlets. I was letting them use their phones to look up things like pictures, more info on locations, etc, and one of them wrote about the Golden Gate bridge "it's the famous second popular suiciding place"

:huh:  :shocked: :cry: :blank:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2727 on: January 13, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
Due to random, baffling circumstances I had to apply to EPIK again. So here I sit constantly clicking refresh on my email, waiting for that one email that says, "hey yeah, you have a job". I have been hitting refresh every day since Monday, when all the newbies on the official EPIK FB page started excitedly announcing their provincial placements... ahh the sweet joy of the newbies, such innocence and excitement  :blank:.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2728 on: January 13, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Last day of camp and we ended up using the whole entire camp time letting the kids finish up their travel pamphlets. I was letting them use their phones to look up things like pictures, more info on locations, etc, and one of them wrote about the Golden Gate bridge "it's the famous second popular suiciding place"

Wonder what the first is

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2729 on: January 13, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »

Wonder what the first is

Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge apparently

Actually, there has been numerous documentaries about a guy called Chen Si who has patrolled the bridge for 11 years trying to help the people who want to commit suicide even allow them to stay in his spare room to help get them back on their feet.  To date, he has saved 300 people.  Cool find!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3901250/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:49:14 PM by Dave Stepz »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2730 on: January 13, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
one of them wrote about the Golden Gate bridge "it's the famous second popular suiciding place"
Wonder what the first is
Top foursuicide spots in the world (book your slot today!)

#1: Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge, Nanjing, China classical architecture, more than 2,000 suicides from 1968 to 2006.

#2 Golden Gate Bridge, California, United States a cultural icon of the West Coast, more than 1,500 suicides.

#3 Prince Edward Viaduct, Ontario, Canada 492 suicides committed before the Luminous Veil was constructed, a barrier of 9,000 steel rods. A beautiful tourist spot with a catchy nickname: "a magnet of suicide"!

#4 Aokigahara forest, Mount Fuji, Japan up to 105 suicides a year. Hard to pronounce, hard to get to, but with an ambience to die for!

I should start a tour company.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:31:50 PM by kyndo »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2731 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
#4 Aokigahara forest, Mount Fuji, Japan up to 105 suicides a year. Hard to pronounce, hard to get to, but with an ambience to die for!

I went to Tokyo a while back in my exploring days.  Took a bus to Kawaguchiko to have a look at Mount Fuji.  Whilst there, I took a bus to Narusawa-hyoketsu Ice caves, without much thought.  After seeing the caves, I took a massive walk through a forest, which was this suicide one.. without knowing it  :laugh: Didn't see no dead bodies, mind..... or maybe......

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2732 on: January 13, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
In the next class, a student wrote about Niagara Falls: "You don't diving here. If you diving here, you die maybe..."

:huh:

These kids  :laugh:

Offline williethewimp

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2733 on: January 13, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
Nanjing bridge is closed for repairs for the next 2 years so it should lose that honor

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2734 on: January 17, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Why do Koreans always close the curtains and blinds and close out the outside world?  I went to the English room now and the blinds are all closed and the heating is on while they are studying.  It isn't massively bright outside and it is the same in the teachers room, blinds closed so no natural light.  Just seems strange to me as my wife does the same thing.  I love a nice sunset, sunrise and general natural sunshine, but the majority of Koreans I know are the same, like it is not interesting or pleasurable to see.  Just musings....

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2735 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:10 PM »
In a school setting, perhaps they want to deter any potential source of distraction and it just bleeds over into adult life as normal.

I remember being in high school math class and gazing out the window. I observed a particularly fat squirrel leap from one branch to-- well, it didn't quite make it.

My schools like leaving the blinds up and even opening the windows on warmer days for air circulation. Usually we have to draw the blinds down if watching a video due to the glare on the screen. All my schools are out in the country though, not sure if location makes a difference?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2736 on: January 17, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Why do Koreans always close the curtains and blinds and close out the outside world?  I went to the English room now and the blinds are all closed and the heating is on while they are studying.  It isn't massively bright outside and it is the same in the teachers room, blinds closed so no natural light.  Just seems strange to me as my wife does the same thing.  I love a nice sunset, sunrise and general natural sunshine, but the majority of Koreans I know are the same, like it is not interesting or pleasurable to see.  Just musings....

My co worker does the same..it drives me mad. It makes it so dingy and the students end up getting sleepy.

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #2737 on: January 18, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
The other day I went to an "Italian" restaurant with some coteachers. It was the first time I'd been there and they had "lasagna" on the menu. I ordered it out of curiosity and because my coteacher said it was good.

Needless to say my expectations weren't high, but what they brought out was a very shallow round casserole dish full of soupy tomato sauce and cheese, with a thin limp layer of overcooked lasagna noodle in the middle. It makes me depressed just thinking about it.

The worst part is it cost 12,000원. ㅠㅠ
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:06:58 PM by bluehermione »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2738 on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
Yeah, they don't really know what good pasta is here. xD ESPECIALLY if the sauce is tomato-based.

There are a few really good places in Noksapyeong, Seoul. If you're ever in the area, give one of them a try. One restaurant is actually owned and run by an Italian man, and his stuff is legit. Can't remember the name of the place, though. If anyone else knows of what I'm talking about, please drop the name.

I'll follow-up if I can remember the name.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:02:40 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2739 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
There are some pretty nice italian restaurants here but there are also... "Italian" restaurants. I once tried a "lasagna" that was pretty abominable. I haven't had much red sauce here as I'm partial to cream based sauces (and I also don't like eating spaghetti without garlic bread and am very disinclined toward the sweet variant often found here lol).

I've had some pretty good cream and carbonara pastas though.