September 25, 2017, 07:58:52 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356116 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2720 on: January 06, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
I went out for lunch and had a nice walk during my break and I feel so FREE

Today the guard was out though and saw me come and go but he smiled at me so I'm vaguely worried I'm going to get in trouble but IT WAS SO NICE

The guards don't care and don't communicate with the principal or anyone else. If you are worried get him on your side. I have always felt a little bad for them, so every once in a while I pick them up something (Popsicle in the summer, coffee in winter, etc.).

Ahh, good to know. Our guard has always been friendly with me. I smiled and nodded at him going in and out so I'll be sure to keep doing that.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2721 on: January 06, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »

Today the guard was out though and saw me come and go but he smiled at me so I'm vaguely worried I'm going to get in trouble but IT WAS SO NICE

The guards don't care and don't communicate with the principal or anyone else. If you are worried get him on your side. I have always felt a little bad for them, so every once in a while I pick them up something (Popsicle in the summer, coffee in winter, etc.).

Me too! The guard ajusshi and cleaning ajumma love me. I just wish she would restock the toilet paper a little more consistently.

Offline waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
« Reply #2722 on: January 06, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
I've been practicing yoga and meditation every day for two weeks now.

I know.... I know.... it's only two weeks.

But I feel so much calmer. And I can touch my toes now.  ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2723 on: January 06, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »

Me too! The guard ajusshi and cleaning ajumma love me. I just wish she would restock the toilet paper a little more consistently.

Huh, schools have guards here? None of mine do. I guess we're too small to warrant budgeting for any. Only one of my two elementary schools seems to have a cleaning ajumma, or at least I haven't noticed one at my other elem. school. At my middle schools the kids all take on cleaning duty, though there's a facilities/maintenance guy.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2724 on: January 06, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »

Huh, schools have guards here? None of mine do. I guess we're too small to warrant budgeting for any. Only one of my two elementary schools seems to have a cleaning ajumma, or at least I haven't noticed one at my other elem. school. At my middle schools the kids all take on cleaning duty, though there's a facilities/maintenance guy.

Lol as an actual guard they're mostly useless because they're just old men (sometimes retired police officers I guess) but their job is just to sit by the entrance and monitor the people coming in and out of the school.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2725 on: January 06, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »

Yeah, the security guards on duty at the front gate of a school seem fairly common in schools in non-rural areas of Korea. I've worked at both public schools in an urban city and in a rural area; my schools where I used to work in an urban city had a security guard, while none of my schools where I used work in a rural area had a security guard.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:14:37 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2726 on: January 07, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
Just found out that they stopped making one of my favorite shades of eye shadow here. There will be tears of blood once I finally run out of what I have. I hope I can find a good replacement before then.

On that note, week 1 of camp is done. I'm going to selectively forget about it by the end of this weekend. It's the only way I'll be able to drag myself back in for round 2.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:45:47 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2727 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
The person from the city office of education is coming in half an hour

I decided to try to look "nice" for them and wore a dress and put on makeup, but my coteacher is just wearing jeans and a sweater

Here's hoping this day improves  :blank:

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #2728 on: January 09, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
Just found out that they stopped making one of my favorite shades of eye shadow here. There will be tears of blood once I finally run out of what I have. I hope I can find a good replacement before then.

I feel your frustration. Nature Republic decided to discontinue two products I use religiously. I wouldn't mind so much but the new replacements are terrible and twice as expensive. More annoyingly the sales staff are saying "sameee, samee" when on trying them, they're clearly not  >:( (thank the universe for Gmarket, see if you can stock up on there)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2729 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »

I feel your frustration. Nature Republic decided to discontinue two products I use religiously. I wouldn't mind so much but the new replacements are terrible and twice as expensive. More annoyingly the sales staff are saying "sameee, samee" when on trying them, they're clearly not  >:( (thank the universe for Gmarket, see if you can stock up on there)

Sometimes even Ebay! You can find discontinued products there, though whether it's overpriced is a gamble.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2730 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
lol so the supervisor person didn't even stay for the second period that we prepared all the materials for, just the last 15 minutes of the first period. she also complimented me on my beautiful presentation which I totally got off waygook, thanks guys!

My poor coteacher was so stressed, her hands were shaking while we were having the consultation with the supervisor.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2731 on: January 09, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

UGH I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS LIKE WHY STOP A GOOD THING and half the times the new product that replaces the original one isn't even as good. *sigh*

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2732 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »
Lol this is my second (and last ever!!!) week of camp and one of my students just walked in even though we don't start until ten and I don't know if she was running but she's breathing like Darth Vader right now ahahahahahahahahahaha

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2733 on: January 10, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »
Every single class that I've been anxious about during camp has gone well or even really well, I seriously need to just chill out. I'm just so used to teaching so many badly behaved second and third graders who won't participate in any activities, so even though I'm teaching high-level motivated first graders for camp I'm still like ahhhh what if they don't like the activity and then I'm screwedddd

In other news, round-robin storytelling went well. The kids weren't super creative or goofy like it was when I played that game in class as a kid, but it was still fun.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2734 on: January 10, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »
Popped back on waygook to check in, good to see UKteacher is back with his new alias, Busan1. Neverending entertainment from that guy  :afro:

He's got nothing on sonny though, when is he gonna make his waygook comeback?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:37:20 PM by Imogen1991 »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2735 on: January 10, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
^Right? Sonny was funny without being aggressive. Though the Englishman is still entertaining.

The principal randomly walked in and asked the secretary if I was bored.  :shocked: No! Says I.  Asks me why.  Um... reading... yeah... Lol. Helps to know the word for boredom in Korean I guess. The principal is really nice-- I think he's legitimately concerned that I'm bored during deskwarming season hahahah
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:15:57 PM by yirj17 »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2736 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »
I feel like I need to buy a lot more literal popcorn for some recent threads. Lol

One of the popcorns I've found tasted really familiar, and then it hit me-- corn pops!! They taste like Korean corn pops.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2737 on: January 11, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
Brought my friends who were visiting me from Canada to school on Monday to make pancakes with my 5th and 6th graders. Had a good time but now the kids keep asking where my friends are so I tell them they're sleeping (which is true...) and they get all sad. Shouldda forced my friends out of bed so I could have a lovely free talking/gawk at the foreigners class for the last day of winter camp...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2738 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Camp really isn't that bad but I'm just so ready for it to be over. I've been so grumpy lately, mostly because there's a bunch of bs going on in my life but also because it's cold

Speaking of it being cold, I ordered a jacket online a MONTH ago, and it still hasn't come. According to the tracking website it hasn't even arrived in Korea yet. I know I can open a complaint once it hasn't arrived for a month, but honestly I just want my jacket to come more than I want the money back. If I could shop for a better jacket here, I would, but my arms are just too big for even a lot of men's jackets

:evil: :evil: :evil: grump

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2739 on: January 11, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »
Camp isn't too bad for me, either, this time around but it's still a smash-my-head-repeatedly-into-the-keyboard kind of day. :undecided:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment