September 22, 2017, 01:44:19 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353902 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2700 on: January 03, 2017, 11:04:02 PM »
This has started out as a hell of a week. Hoping it rides out easier tomorrow and on.

Also, FYI, I tried the half-black strap molasses/half-honey concoction for gingerbread cookies, and, as predicted, I really liked the result. For those of you still iffy about black-strap molasses, you can use white sugar in place of brown sugar (since brown sugar is just refined white sugar with molasses added back in) to help balance out the flavor, but I thought it was just fine using the brown sugar.

Still haven't tried the molasses sugar because I haven't been able to find any in my area, but from what I've gathered you can't really use it to replace molasses itself; it's used to replace the sugar in recipes. So if you want to make gingerbread cookies using molasses sugar, you'd use it to substitute for the brown sugar. Would make for a more intense flavor and, apparently, it's healthier since the sugar isn't refined. I haven't had a look at the crystals, but if they're bigger and chunkier than refined sugar, it'll also change the texture of whatever you're baking -- this is okay for cookies, especially for gingerbread (makes them denser and not as soft). Not so much for cake, but then I guess that depends on the cake (if you want it denser and courser or not as fluffy/moist).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:09:28 AM by Chinguetti »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2701 on: January 04, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
^might have to order me some molasses next time I order from Coupang. Chewy molasses cookies sound sooo good right now.

In random boastful news, I am averaging 110 WPM on typing tests. This might explain why once when I was googling something for the kids, they all gasped and told me I was really fast. Lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2702 on: January 04, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Wow, that is really fast.

My kids gasp and say I type really fast when I type too, though. Granted I'm also a pretty fast typer, but I just said to them "I'm really slow at typing in Korean; of course you can type fast in your native language" and they agreed

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2703 on: January 04, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
I have been entrusted with the school credit card for buying ingredients for camp cooking class on Friday and man does it feel like a lot of responsibility.

I'm also anxious about the cooking class because I have actually never made whipped "topping" with dry mix, which is the only thing they had at the store even resembling what I needed. I've made whipped cream from scratch dozens of times so I figure it's basically the same but since it's an untested ingredient I'm worried somehow it'll go wrong and I'll just be sitting there looking like an idiot.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2704 on: January 05, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
I have been entrusted with the school credit card for buying ingredients for camp cooking class on Friday and man does it feel like a lot of responsibility.

I'm also anxious about the cooking class because I have actually never made whipped "topping" with dry mix, which is the only thing they had at the store even resembling what I needed. I've made whipped cream from scratch dozens of times so I figure it's basically the same but since it's an untested ingredient I'm worried somehow it'll go wrong and I'll just be sitting there looking like an idiot.

I have been using it for years. Just DO NOT lose the receipts! Also, if you go to a small shop that doesn't use an itemized machine, you can ask them to write out an itemized receipt, as they usually have some of that paper around somewhere.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2705 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »

I have been using it for years. Just DO NOT lose the receipts! Also, if you go to a small shop that doesn't use an itemized machine, you can ask them to write out an itemized receipt, as they usually have some of that paper around somewhere.

It went fine :) still worried about tomorrow, but hopefully it works out...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2706 on: January 05, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »

I want to do a cooking lesson but I don't have access to even a microwave and I don't want to do PB&J lol I should look up some recipes that don't involve heat at all

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2707 on: January 05, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »

I want to do a cooking lesson but I don't have access to even a microwave and I don't want to do PB&J lol I should look up some recipes that don't involve heat at all

We're making worms and dirt :) no microwave required!

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2708 on: January 05, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

We did 'canapes' with crackers, cheese, tomato, onion, ham, gherkins and olives and a few other things.  We did a market kind of thing were the kids were earning 'school money' during the early part and using it to buy ingredients. I was surprised, but the kids got right into it, choosing  and buying their own versions of canapes.  There was a choc spread too - mixing that with olives and onion was just weird. Weird kids.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2709 on: January 05, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
Some projects that I've done in the past wayyyy back when I taught primary:

Making Ice cream is pretty simple to do, and the kids love hammering at the ice-salt mixture!

Jello moulds can be fun if you have/make (ie: with lego, playdough, or foil) some cool shapes to fill.

Custom kimbab rolls where students have to spend points (also earned during previous activities) to get ingredients to put in their roll.

Chocolate coconut truffles: truly a messy process, which is awesome in its own right.

Eggnog (you can make it without pasteurising the egg yolks if you don't care that a few of the weaker children might get horribly horribly sick).

Decorating candy canes with pipe-cleaners and googly eyes.

In my experience, working with food is always messy and requires a lot of planning, but it's nearly always a huge success. Have at it! :smiley:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:48:08 PM by kyndo »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2710 on: January 05, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »

We did 'canapes' with crackers, cheese, tomato, onion, ham, gherkins and olives and a few other things.  We did a market kind of thing were the kids were earning 'school money' during the early part and using it to buy ingredients. I was surprised, but the kids got right into it, choosing  and buying their own versions of canapes.  There was a choc spread too - mixing that with olives and onion was just weird. Weird kids.

We had marshmallows for our hot chocolate and some kids used them on their tuna canapes.

"Teacher, not bad."

ahahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2711 on: January 05, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
Re: egg nog and the weak

Korean kids should have pretty good immune systems given the hand washing and food prep norms here.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2712 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
Some projects that I've done in the past wayyyy back when I taught primary:

Making Ice cream is pretty simple to do, and the kids love hammering at the ice-salt mixture!

Jello moulds can be fun if you have/make (ie: with lego, playdough, or foil) some cool shapes to fill.

Custom kimbab rolls where students have to spend points (also earned during previous activities) to get ingredients to put in their roll.

Chocolate coconut truffles: truly a messy process, which is awesome in its own right.

Eggnog (you can make it without pasteurising the egg yolks if you don't care that a few of the weaker children might get horribly horribly sick).

Decorating candy canes with pipe-cleaners and googly eyes.

In my experience, working with food is always messy and requires a lot of planning, but it's nearly always a huge success. Have at it! :smiley:

You're a blessing. Thanks for the ideas~~~

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2713 on: January 05, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
Last night I was feeling lazy so I made hot dogs 'n eggs. Made mac 'n cheese w/hot dogs for the kids today and now there's a lot of leftover mac 'n cheese.. looked up some suggestions on how to spice up the leftovers and "grilled cheese mac 'n cheese" kept popping up lol. Talk about carb on carb.

Today feels like a breakfast for dinner kinda day. I need to make some pancakes so I can use the maple syrup I recently bought!

Offline grajoker

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2714 on: January 05, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
The best carb on carb is a CHIPROLL.

Offline Conner42

• Adventurer
« Reply #2715 on: January 06, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
"We don't know what our teacher is saying, so we're just going to be the shit out of each other"

A fellow foreign teacher describing our students.
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2716 on: January 06, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »
"We don't know what our teacher is saying, so we're just going to be the shit out of each other"

A fellow foreign teacher describing our students.

I hate that shit.

:police: "Why did you throw Sanjun onto the ground??

Sanjun:  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bad student: He used my eraser/He said he didn't like my shirt/No reason at all, Sir! 

:police: Jesus Christ...............

Does the idea of "saving face" result in not having a thicker damn skin?
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2717 on: January 06, 2017, 01:54:13 PM »
No cigarettes.
No alcohol.
Sleeping at a decent hour.
No junk food whatsoever.
Moderate exercise.

Only 5 days in, and I feel amazing. I can't remember the last time I went a weekend without a drink, but if this feeling just gets better, it'll be a breeze!

Happy Friday!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2718 on: January 06, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
I went out for lunch and had a nice walk during my break and I feel so FREE

Today the guard was out though and saw me come and go but he smiled at me so I'm vaguely worried I'm going to get in trouble but IT WAS SO NICE

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2719 on: January 06, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
I went out for lunch and had a nice walk during my break and I feel so FREE

Today the guard was out though and saw me come and go but he smiled at me so I'm vaguely worried I'm going to get in trouble but IT WAS SO NICE

The guards don't care and don't communicate with the principal or anyone else. If you are worried get him on your side. I have always felt a little bad for them, so every once in a while I pick them up something (Popsicle in the summer, coffee in winter, etc.).

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment