September 22, 2017, 01:40:09 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353897 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2640 on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »
Practicing how to make Polish stars for free classes later this week. Need to do a timed run because I always underestimate how much time paper crafts take with students.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2641 on: December 27, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
We were talking about tall in grade 3 and some kid said I was Humongous. It took every ounce of strength not to blurt out, "IS THAT SEXUAL HARASSMENT??"
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2642 on: December 27, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »
We were talking about tall in grade 3 and some kid said I was Humongous. It took every ounce of strength not to blurt out, "IS THAT SEXUAL HARASSMENT??"

Might be worse. Why were your pants down?

Luckily for you they only seemed to have glimpsed your backside ;p
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:07:05 PM by donovan »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2643 on: December 27, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
I'm sure everyone is tired of my hospital ramblings, but dang. I am really thinking I should just give up now.

asdflkj

If you're going to a hospital (as in, not a clinic) would you be able to make a weekend appointment? Maybe this way, too, you can find a Korean friend to accompany you? Anyway, good luck. This whole thing sounds like a nightmare. :sad:

I'm thinking I might just give up on the hospital and go to an ENT clinic and see what they have to say. So far I've been to an internal medicine doctor, a neurologist, but not an ENT. Although the reason is because the former two don't think I need to go to an ENT... shrug

It would be really nice if I could get a reference letter from the other hospital though in case I decide to try to go to a big hospital in the next two months though, but they said I had to do it within a week and I don't know why...

@arm, I replied to your message

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2644 on: December 27, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
My coteacher wants to see my materials for camp, but since she wants me to focus on speaking, most of my camp plans are just material-free games or speaking activities... hah

She asked if I wanted to buy anything though, so I wonder if I could sell her on a cooking period. She's told me we can't do anything that involves heat and has generally seemed opposed to cooking classes, but we could make like worms and dirt or something similar which just requires... a bowl.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2645 on: December 27, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
My coteacher wants to see my materials for camp, but since she wants me to focus on speaking, most of my camp plans are just material-free games or speaking activities... hah

She asked if I wanted to buy anything though, so I wonder if I could sell her on a cooking period. She's told me we can't do anything that involves heat and has generally seemed opposed to cooking classes, but we could make like worms and dirt or something similar which just requires... a bowl.

If you're allowed to use a microwave, I just made peanut butter chocolate bars that taste similar to reese's peanut butter cups. I used a stove to melt some butter but that could easily be done in a microwave. Super easy if you have budget for peanut butter/chocolate/butter/cookies to crumble.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2646 on: December 27, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »

If you're allowed to use a microwave, I just made peanut butter chocolate bars that taste similar to reese's peanut butter cups. I used a stove to melt some butter but that could easily be done in a microwave. Super easy if you have budget for peanut butter/chocolate/butter/cookies to crumble.

Could you send me the recipe? Sounds yum even if I can't do it for camp

Offline kengreen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2647 on: December 27, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
On Fridays, I like to go to Dang Dang Chicken. I drink beer and eat super-hot dok-bo-ki.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2648 on: December 27, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »

Could you send me the recipe? Sounds yum even if I can't do it for camp

This is the recipe I went off of but I made some changes after reading the comments and based on what I have available to me.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9999/peanut-butter-bars-i/

I just used 1.5 sticks of butter and instead of graham crackers I crushed (30) Biscoff cookies (Korea has something similar called Delos but I feel the flavor is diluted and so I prefer Biscoff, which I've found at stores selling foreign candy). You could pick any kind of crushable cookie though.

I nixed powdered sugar as I chose a chocolate that was pleasantly sweet and didn't want sugar overload. Instead of chocolate chips I melted some truffle chocolates instead (for a much more enhanced flavor!).

My peanut butter mixture was a bit runny (which was easier to pour into pie tins) but solidified well enough after refrigeration. Also, the chocolate I chose kinda shatters when trying to cut into it when it's solid so I let it firm up after pouring it on the peanut butter crust and then sliced sections before sticking it in the fridge overnight.

I brought it to school and it disappeared pretty quickly  ;D The recipe made 2 pie tins worth!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2649 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
Last night I put together a model plane kit using only diagrams for reference (instructions entirely in Korean).

Today the chief of admin. office is having a very loud (but not quite yelling) conversation with one of the teachers. Dude is literally at one end of the room loudly talking at the teacher at the other end of the room. Most of the other teachers are clustered at the same end together, almost as if in solidarity? Teacher in the convo looks displeased. This is hardly the first time the admin guy has been a prat so I assume it's more of the same.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2650 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
When browsing this site in the office, does anyone else scroll the page down slightly so the huge, yellow "WAYGOOK" isn't jumping off the page, begging to be seen?  :laugh:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2651 on: December 28, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
When browsing this site in the office, does anyone else scroll the page down slightly so the huge, yellow "WAYGOOK" isn't jumping off the page, begging to be seen?  :laugh:

Yes.

Online bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #2652 on: December 28, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »

Yes.

Every time :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2653 on: December 28, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, has passed away at the ripe old age of 96.

RIP

"My heart has joined the thousand for my friend stopped running today."
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2654 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, has passed away at the ripe old age of 96.

RIP

I rented the movie from the library when I was a child, thinking it was about cute bunnies. I was in for quite the surprise.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2655 on: December 28, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
Has anyone tried extensive Korean passages in Google Translate since "The Great A.I. Awakening"?
www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/magazine/the-great-ai-awakening.html?smid=nytcore-iphone-share&smprod=nytcore-iphone

[HCI Professor Jun Rekimoto] dashed off his own Japanese interpretation of the opening to Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” then ran that passage back through Google into English. He published this version alongside Hemingway’s original, and proceeded to invite his readers to guess which was the work of a machine.
NO. 1:
Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the Masai “Ngaje Ngai,” the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.
NO. 2:
Kilimanjaro is a mountain of 19,710 feet covered with snow and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. The summit of the west is called “Ngaje Ngai” in Masai, the house of God. Near the top of the west there is a dry and frozen dead body of leopard. No one has ever explained what leopard wanted at that altitude.
Even to a native English speaker, the missing article on the leopard is the only real giveaway that No. 2 was the output of an automaton. Their closeness was a source of wonder to Rekimoto, who was well acquainted with the capabilities of the previous service. Only 24 hours earlier, Google would have translated the same Japanese passage as follows:
Kilimanjaro is 19,710 feet of the mountain covered with snow, and it is said that the highest mountain in Africa. Top of the west, “Ngaje Ngai” in the Maasai language, has been referred to as the house of God. The top close to the west, there is a dry, frozen carcass of a leopard. Whether the leopard had what the demand at that altitude, there is no that nobody explained.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2656 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »

RIP

I rented the movie from the library when I was a child, thinking it was about cute bunnies. I was in for quite the surprise.
Oh lordy, I remember watching that movie when I was 6 or 7 and I have never gotten over it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2657 on: December 28, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »
Since my coteacher was being weird to me today and then my boss was being confrontational (sometimes my coteacher asks my boss to talk to me when she doesn't want to, so I suspect they're related) even though they said they'd help me figure out if I need to leave school early to get documents from the hospital, I decided I'd better not ask them.

So I just called the hospital all on my own and after asking if they had anyone who was good at English because I don't know how to properly ask my question in Korean and received a no I barrelled on anyways and conducted this whole conversation in Korean except for the words "reference letter" and by god was it terrifying.

I should write a book "Learn Speaking Confidence by Having No-One to Help You With Your Medical Problems"

Anyways, I have to arrive at the hospital by 4 in order to get copies of my MRI and a reference letter so I need to leave school early. Thank god, in a way, since I am real grumpy today and done with being here.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2658 on: December 28, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
Since my coteacher was being weird to me today and then my boss was being confrontational (sometimes my coteacher asks my boss to talk to me when she doesn't want to, so I suspect they're related) even though they said they'd help me figure out if I need to leave school early to get documents from the hospital, I decided I'd better not ask them.

So I just called the hospital all on my own and after asking if they had anyone who was good at English because I don't know how to properly ask my question in Korean and received a no I barrelled on anyways and conducted this whole conversation in Korean except for the words "reference letter" and by god was it terrifying.

I should write a book "Learn Speaking Confidence by Having No-One to Help You With Your Medical Problems"

Anyways, I have to arrive at the hospital by 4 in order to get copies of my MRI and a reference letter so I need to leave school early. Thank god, in a way, since I am real grumpy today and done with being here.

Well, good for you for doing that. The only way your Korean will get better is if you try to use it, even though you'll fall flat on your face and be super frustrated a lot.

You can feel proud that you accomplished that. Making appointments is tricky.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2659 on: December 28, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »

Well, good for you for doing that. The only way your Korean will get better is if you try to use it, even though you'll fall flat on your face and be super frustrated a lot.

You can feel proud that you accomplished that. Making appointments is tricky.

I do feel proud. I just have trouble even making phone calls in English so it was scary.

Too bad I'm leaving, I feel like if I stayed here another year I could make some real progress, especially if I continued going out drinking till the wee hours of the morning with my swing dance friends.

Alas. (Not really, I'm so ready to be out of here. Maybe if I totally fail at getting a job back home I'll come back haha)

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment