November 19, 2017, 08:16:46 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402630 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2600 on: December 23, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
I've been musing on the idea of teaching back home but have been unsure of what subject (English vs Art, vs ESL). Then I saw several friends post about all the grading they have to do. Ugh hahah.

I think I'd like teaching art (not for elementary though). I've been having fun researching projects for winter art camp, much more so than figuring out activities for regular class. And I'm more interested in project based work. Wouldn't have to worry about teaching to standardized tests either. Hmmm

I too have been musing with the idea of teaching back home.  At the moment ESL is in the lead, but I am considering other subjects.  I know male elementary teachers are a bit in demand because of the lack of them back home, but I think I would rather teach something like art in secondary school.  I used to be a photography based artist back home but haven't practised much lately.  It might be worth reconsidering.  I like art, liked my art teachers when I was in school. 

Thanks for sparking that train of thought.

Right? I liked all my art classes and teachers in high school (I actually didn't have any art classes in middle school because I was in orchestra, so I have no idea what that's like). And there's just something very comfortable and homey about art rooms/spaces.

I've been getting into drawing again lately. I need to practice, as I'd actually love to make my own graphic novels someday  ;D

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2601 on: December 23, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I just want to sleep all weekend.

But I'll be spending the whole time in Busan.

Which will be fun, but omgsleeeeeeep ~

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2602 on: December 23, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »

Yay Busan! What will you be doing here?

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2603 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
Vacation, 2 more months, and then a MUUUCCHH BETTERRR JOBBB!!!

Today just won't end. Thank god only one more class. GET ME OUTTA HERE LETS GOOO!!

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #2604 on: December 23, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
My new deskwarming activity is doing sporcle quizzes! I am so into it these days. It makes me feel like I know things, even though some of the things are purely for time wasting. Anybody else do those?

I used to do Sporcle about every other day when I was working in housing during college. Nothing to do + computer + Facebook/other time-wasting bans = Sporcle. The countries one is really hard, though. And I haven't done it in a couple of years.

OMG just tried to do the countries one (first letter/last letter). What make believe countries are these?? I only got 2 and I thought I was pretty ok at geography  :-[

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2605 on: December 23, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »

Yay Busan! What will you be doing here?

Honestly, I don't know at this point. I'm meeting up with a couple of friends and they're the ones with the major details, but as far as I know we'll be palling around shopping districts and maybe going to some dinner. Probably end up visiting a bar or two, I dunno. I'm never in charge of these things because I always end up taking us to regions unknown. xD

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2606 on: December 26, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »
I'm sure everyone is tired of my hospital ramblings, but dang. I am really thinking I should just give up now.

I figured that I would just see how I was feeling today before trying to go through the huge pain in the ass that is getting an appointment at the uni hospital, and while I managed to avoid major nausea today it's only because I was very careful, and I could feel it.

I asked a Korean friend for help in figuring out how to contact the hospital to see if I could make an appointment by phone, so I wouldn't have to spend half of my week running around to different hospitals. The receptionist was nice and we seemed to be getting somewhere but then it turns out that the doctor I'd see there only does consultations in the morning.

Well, next week I have camp so I definitely can't miss anything in the morning, and I could theoretically get an appointment in the morning sometime this week if I asked about it but... this is just so much trouble. I don't know if I should just resign myself to suffering and do my best with avoiding known triggers, but it's possible it will be hard during camp.

asdflkj

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2607 on: December 26, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I've been musing on the idea of teaching back home but have been unsure of what subject (English vs Art, vs ESL). Then I saw several friends post about all the grading they have to do. Ugh hahah.

I think I'd like teaching art (not for elementary though). I've been having fun researching projects for winter art camp, much more so than figuring out activities for regular class. And I'm more interested in project based work. Wouldn't have to worry about teaching to standardized tests either. Hmmm

I too have been musing with the idea of teaching back home.  At the moment ESL is in the lead, but I am considering other subjects.  I know male elementary teachers are a bit in demand because of the lack of them back home, but I think I would rather teach something like art in secondary school.  I used to be a photography based artist back home but haven't practised much lately.  It might be worth reconsidering.  I like art, liked my art teachers when I was in school. 

Thanks for sparking that train of thought.

Right? I liked all my art classes and teachers in high school (I actually didn't have any art classes in middle school because I was in orchestra, so I have no idea what that's like). And there's just something very comfortable and homey about art rooms/spaces.

I've been getting into drawing again lately. I need to practice, as I'd actually love to make my own graphic novels someday  ;D

Good for you. I know exactly what you're talking about.  And I recently purchased some 'how to draw' books, but I haven't had the chance to sit down with them yet and give it a go. I plan to during desk-warming/winter break.  I used to be an okay drawer back in high school, but it's a skill I have not worked on, and it is a skill that needs practice.

ME TOO!!! I would love to create my own graphic novel someday - I have decided it's on my bucket list and something I want to tick off sooner rather than later. So I'm actually in the planning stages of one now and I'm really looking forward to spending lots of time on it soon.  But I think I will be the writer on this one and look for an artist to collaborate with.  Oh the dreams.....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:04:38 PM by welcomebackkotter »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2608 on: December 26, 2016, 03:12:39 PM »
This is why I'm looking forward to deskwarming so I can start storyboarding ideas :D

I'd love to collaborate on projects but be more of the artist rather than the writer. I write occasionally but it's not an area where I can be consistently creative. Happens more in spurts. Drawing comes more easily, though I'm rusty at the moment.

I love exploring different mediums of art. Making a graphic novel is on my list, along with a stop motion animated short film.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:14:19 PM by yirj17 »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2609 on: December 26, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
This is why I'm looking forward to deskwarming so I can start storyboarding ideas :D

I'd love to collaborate on projects but be more of the artist rather than the writer. I write occasionally but it's not an area where I can be consistently creative. Happens more in spurts. Drawing comes more easily, though I'm rusty at the moment.

I love exploring different mediums of art. Making a graphic novel is on my list, along with a stop motion animated short film.

I used to do stop motion claymation camps when I was a kid :) it was so fun

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2610 on: December 26, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »

I wouldn't like to go so far as to call myself a writer, I'm a bit rusty on that front too, but I am working on one main idea and seeing where it goes.  That being said perhaps we should knock heads together over the desk warming time. 

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2611 on: December 26, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »

I wouldn't like to go so far as to call myself a writer, I'm a bit rusty on that front too, but I am working on one main idea and seeing where it goes.  That being said perhaps we should knock heads together over the desk warming time.

Bump! At the least, I enjoy being a sounding board. I liked taking creative writing classes and offering feedback on ideas, even though I sometimes struggled with writing my own hah.

@moonbrie -- that's awesome. I've never even made a stop motion claymation before so I'm a little jelly :D

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2612 on: December 27, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »

Bump! At the least, I enjoy being a sounding board. I liked taking creative writing classes and offering feedback on ideas, even though I sometimes struggled with writing my own hah.

@moonbrie -- that's awesome. I've never even made a stop motion claymation before so I'm a little jelly :D

I was ten or something, so the story was just about a girl who was trying to catch this giant multicolored fish haha. There was another one where we had to work in teams and I got in trouble for hijacking my partner's story bc I thought it was boring - it was about a magician but instead I made the magician fight with a cat.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2613 on: December 27, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »

I was ten or something, so the story was just about a girl who was trying to catch this giant multicolored fish haha. There was another one where we had to work in teams and I got in trouble for hijacking my partner's story bc I thought it was boring - it was about a magician but instead I made the magician fight with a cat.

Budding genius is often hard to spot :P

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2614 on: December 27, 2016, 08:29:28 AM »
My new deskwarming activity is doing sporcle quizzes! I am so into it these days. It makes me feel like I know things, even though some of the things are purely for time wasting. Anybody else do those?
What are they?
Sporcle is a site of trivia quizzes about almost everything. https://www.sporcle.com/

Damn you!!! I have wasted so much time since you posted this. I think I'm addicted.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2615 on: December 27, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
I'm sure everyone is tired of my hospital ramblings, but dang. I am really thinking I should just give up now.

I figured that I would just see how I was feeling today before trying to go through the huge pain in the ass that is getting an appointment at the uni hospital, and while I managed to avoid major nausea today it's only because I was very careful, and I could feel it.

I asked a Korean friend for help in figuring out how to contact the hospital to see if I could make an appointment by phone, so I wouldn't have to spend half of my week running around to different hospitals. The receptionist was nice and we seemed to be getting somewhere but then it turns out that the doctor I'd see there only does consultations in the morning.

Well, next week I have camp so I definitely can't miss anything in the morning, and I could theoretically get an appointment in the morning sometime this week if I asked about it but... this is just so much trouble. I don't know if I should just resign myself to suffering and do my best with avoiding known triggers, but it's possible it will be hard during camp.

asdflkj

If you're going to a hospital (as in, not a clinic) would you be able to make a weekend appointment? Maybe this way, too, you can find a Korean friend to accompany you? Anyway, good luck. This whole thing sounds like a nightmare. :sad:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2616 on: December 27, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
moonbrie, I sent you a PM  :smiley:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2617 on: December 27, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
Practicing how to make Polish stars for free classes later this week. Need to do a timed run because I always underestimate how much time paper crafts take with students.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2618 on: December 27, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
We were talking about tall in grade 3 and some kid said I was Humongous. It took every ounce of strength not to blurt out, "IS THAT SEXUAL HARASSMENT??"

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2619 on: December 27, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
We were talking about tall in grade 3 and some kid said I was Humongous. It took every ounce of strength not to blurt out, "IS THAT SEXUAL HARASSMENT??"

Might be worse. Why were your pants down?

Luckily for you they only seemed to have glimpsed your backside ;p
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:07:05 AM by donovan »