September 25, 2017, 06:59:19 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356581 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2600 on: December 16, 2016, 05:36:06 PM »
Is 'shit' no longer considered all that vulgar? Is it now like saying 'darn it'? I always considered it a step below the f-word, a step above 'damn', but I've been hearing it so much lately by students and adults alike, I'm no longer so sure where it stands.
Yeah, I still feel like it is a curse word, but most of my students say it so often I'm pretty desensitized to it now. I still don't swear, but I'm so used to it here. I think that's because it just doesn't carry the same weight here since it isn't their word.

I'll still take it over "오마이가아아아~!"
We were going over emotions this weeks and they had to write different ways to express different emotions. Most classes, there was one student who would ask "Is it ok to use bad words?" So I taught them about euphemisms and most of them started writing things like "Oh ship!" or "Fack!" and other stuff.

오마이가아아아~!

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2601 on: December 16, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »
Is 'shit' no longer considered all that vulgar? Is it now like saying 'darn it'? I always considered it a step below the f-word, a step above 'damn', but I've been hearing it so much lately by students and adults alike, I'm no longer so sure where it stands.

Yesterday I was correcting a few essays by first grade middle school boys submitted for an English competition. Calmly reading through when I stumbled upon this sentence "It was fucking shit" (talking about some computer game).

I showed it to a KT but she just chuckled and waved it off  :laugh:

"Shit" is a word I would've not used around teachers or parents when I was younger but in Korea English cuss words don't matter! Have at it!

"Shit" is a word my mother uses quite regularly.

When daughter #1 was about 3 years old, she picked up from Grandma...

"Look daddy, a bird shitted on your car.  He shitted there, and he shitted there, and he shitted there..."

[facepalm]

Thanks Mum.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2602 on: December 16, 2016, 05:56:59 PM »
I have been invited to sing with the teachers during the school festival in Feb. I said I wanted to, to which my coteacher replied that she doesn't want to.

I told her I want to but if it causes a problem for her, it's fine.

I wonder if I'm singing in the school festival  :P

You should suggest swinging with the principal.

Swing dancing, that is.  :angel:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2603 on: December 16, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »

Yesterday I was correcting a few essays by first grade middle school boys submitted for an English competition. Calmly reading through when I stumbled upon this sentence "It was fucking shit" (talking about some computer game).

I showed it to a KT but she just chuckled and waved it off  :laugh:

"Shit" is a word I would've not used around teachers or parents when I was younger but in Korea English cuss words don't matter! Have at it!

"Shit" is a word my mother uses quite regularly.

When daughter #1 was about 3 years old, she picked up from Grandma...

"Look daddy, a bird shitted on your car.  He shitted there, and he shitted there, and he shitted there..."

[facepalm]

Thanks Mum.

At least she used the verb form rather than the exclamation. Teach her to euphemize; shat!

Edit: Just watched this tonight. Seemed apropos:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:13:07 AM by donovan »

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2604 on: December 16, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
Yeah, I still feel like it is a curse word, but most of my students say it so often I'm pretty desensitized to it now. I still don't swear, but I'm so used to it here. I think that's because it just doesn't carry the same weight here since it isn't their word.

I'll still take it over "오마이가아아아~!"
We were going over emotions this weeks and they had to write different ways to express different emotions. Most classes, there was one student who would ask "Is it ok to use bad words?" So I taught them about euphemisms and most of them started writing things like "Oh ship!" or "Fack!" and other stuff.

오마이가아아아~!

Why stop there?
Why not teach them to say 18 puppies or write AC8 on the board? :evil:
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2605 on: December 16, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »
What is the best way to transport a fully formed gingerbread house from place to place? I'm kind of stuck.

The only answer there can be is

Daiso

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2606 on: December 16, 2016, 06:57:55 PM »
What is the best way to transport a fully formed gingerbread house from place to place? I'm kind of stuck.

You just gave me my idea for winter camp.  :-*
Making boxes?  :P

I got my kits from Ikea for 3900 because I cannot find, for the life of me, molasses anywhere in Korea. Plus it would be so much extra work, haha.

ask in Homeplus for caramel yorl dang (caramel cooking syrup)  I use it as a replacement for treacle.  It isn't nearly as stiff, but the end results never lie.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2607 on: December 19, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
Me and two of my coteachers got on the bus at the same time, including jerk boss. The bus driver was reallllly taking his time, so we didn't even reach the school gate until 8:30

Was sorely tempted to start asking her "why are you late???" when we got to the office, but I'm not quite that petty

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2608 on: December 19, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »
Principal came up to me and said something like... "Good job getting along with JB so well lately, she said good things about you"

Huh??  :huh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2609 on: December 19, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »
After two weeks of misery, my allergies have finally cleared enough for me to get through the day without medication, and, apparently, it shows.

I've been asked by three KTs so far about what kind of beauty treatment I've received over the weekend to improve my looks so much.

Drained sinuses and a ton of rest.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2610 on: December 19, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
I've been being told I look tired a lot lately. No, that's just my face. Yes, really. I slept 8 hours last night. Yes, I know I have dark circles. I always have them. I'm over it, so I wish you would be  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2611 on: December 22, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
Went to the neurologist for the first time yesterday. I'm starting to regret telling the hospital that I can speak a little Korean bc then they're just like "eh we won't bother trying to speak English at all!" so the appointment was conducted 90% in Korean with some assists from Google translate. Like, I guess I'm proud of myself, but I'm also not confident that I'm understanding or communicating everything accurately??

Anyways, after reading over the reference letter from the other hospital and talking with me, he was like "well you're not experiencing hearing loss so I don't think it's an ear problem, and you haven't had any pain that would indicate an infection either so.... I don't know!" And just sat there for a few minutes like 애~~~ 잘 모르겠어요.....

Ok?? So I asked if I'd need a scan and he started going on about how they're expensive, and I'm like yes, I know it's expensive, but I want to know what's wrong with me already. And he was like well if we get the scan and find something strange in your head then we'll know the diagnosis but if we don't find anything strange we still won't know plus you'll have to pay....

Anyways long story short I'm getting an MRI today. I'm hoping that my coteacher has been writing my hospital visits as sick leave like I told her to. Yesterday I had to leave an hour and a half early and today I have to leave a bit over two hours early.

I was also worried about my blood pressure bc the last four times I've had it measured by one of those machines it's been in the hypertension 1 range, but I just went to the nurse at school and asked her to measure it for me and it was a healthy 120/80.

BLAH

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2612 on: December 23, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
I've been musing on the idea of teaching back home but have been unsure of what subject (English vs Art, vs ESL). Then I saw several friends post about all the grading they have to do. Ugh hahah.

I think I'd like teaching art (not for elementary though). I've been having fun researching projects for winter art camp, much more so than figuring out activities for regular class. And I'm more interested in project based work. Wouldn't have to worry about teaching to standardized tests either. Hmmm

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2613 on: December 23, 2016, 02:02:23 PM »
Asian Hockey League last night in Anyang. Anyang Halla vs China's team; Dragons.

Anyang 16 Dragons 0

Talk about an ass kicking.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2614 on: December 23, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »
Asian Hockey League last night in Anyang. Anyang Halla vs China's team; Dragons.

Anyang 16 Dragons 0

Where do you find the hockey games? I would love to go to one here.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2615 on: December 23, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
I've been musing on the idea of teaching back home but have been unsure of what subject (English vs Art, vs ESL). Then I saw several friends post about all the grading they have to do. Ugh hahah.

I think I'd like teaching art (not for elementary though). I've been having fun researching projects for winter art camp, much more so than figuring out activities for regular class. And I'm more interested in project based work. Wouldn't have to worry about teaching to standardized tests either. Hmmm

I too have been musing with the idea of teaching back home.  At the moment ESL is in the lead, but I am considering other subjects.  I know male elementary teachers are a bit in demand because of the lack of them back home, but I think I would rather teach something like art in secondary school.  I used to be a photography based artist back home but haven't practised much lately.  It might be worth reconsidering.  I like art, liked my art teachers when I was in school. 

Thanks for sparking that train of thought.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2616 on: December 23, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »

Anyang 16 Dragons 0

There's a team in Anyang and a team in Chuncheon. Tickets are 8 or 10 bucks in Anyang and free in Chuncheon.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2617 on: December 23, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »

Anyang 16 Dragons 0

There's a team in Anyang and a team in Chuncheon. Tickets are 8 or 10 bucks in Anyang and free in Chuncheon.
Ah, good to know, thanks. I heard about hockey teams here, never actually looked into it though.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #2618 on: December 23, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
My new deskwarming activity is doing sporcle quizzes! I am so into it these days. It makes me feel like I know things, even though some of the things are purely for time wasting. Anybody else do those?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2619 on: December 23, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
My new deskwarming activity is doing sporcle quizzes! I am so into it these days. It makes me feel like I know things, even though some of the things are purely for time wasting. Anybody else do those?
What are they?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment