November 19, 2017, 10:19:22 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402695 times)

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2015, 12:06:59 PM »
Weeks before camp:

Co-teacher: I have an idea for camp.  Don't worry too much about it, I will just need your help at that time. 

Me:  :smiley:

Literally 2 days before camp starts, approximately 2pm in the afternoon in the middle of one of my afternoon classes (my CT has none):

Co-teacher: What do you have prepared for camp?  We cannot use anything from the past, not even 5 years ago.  It must be new!  But I will prepare the 2nd week of camp.  That's fair, right?  You can relax in week 2. 

Me:  :-[

At the end of that day:

Co-teacher: I have decided we should do *this* kind of camp.  You should prepare it from scratch and send me all the information tomorrow morning so I can approve it.  See you tomorrow!  Oh, by the way, I'm SO BUSY!

Me:  >:(

The next day, one day before camp starts:

Co-teacher: This is good.  But let's change this, and that, and this...and that.  For no reason, I just want to pretend that this is my project and I'm the boss.  You won't change anything and I'll forget about it in 5 minutes.  But right now I'm aggressively changing everything and refuse to listen to anything you say!

Me:  :undecided:

Every single day of camp:

Co-teacher: I have no idea what's going on because I refused to listen to you.  Instead I'm going to give the kids contradictory instructions for every activity and try to completely change what's happening in the middle of it!  You will then stay for several hours after we're done to prepare for the next day while I go home!

Me:  :shocked:

Today, Friday 12:10pm, the exact end of week one:

Co-teacher: So, what do you have prepared for next week? 

Me:  :huh:

Next week is my last week here, so I have not a single eff to give.  They can play games all week for all I care.  I told my CT, "You said you would prepare for next week!"  to which I got the Korean motto, "SO BUSY!". 

Oh Korea....I wish I could say I'll miss you.  But I'll think of you every time someone doesn't dump all their work on me while trying desperately to convince everyone else that they are doing all of it. 

Go have a nap, Korea.  You look tired. 

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
The contract teacher at my school is the only one in my whole school that is actually busy because everyone lumps her with the work they couldn't be bothered doing.

She is the only one I have never heard say "I'm so busy".

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
The contract teacher at my school is the only one in my whole school that is actually busy because everyone lumps her with the work they couldn't be bothered doing.

Agreed
my co teacher is a contract teacher, she teaches over 30 hours a week at 3 diferent schools, never once will you hear her complain

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »

That's usually how it works.  If you have time to go out of your way to try to convince everyone else how busy you are, you're probably not actually that busy. 

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »

That's usually how it works.  If you have time to go out of your way to try to convince everyone else how busy you are, you're probably not actually that busy.

I really think the "I'm so busy" lie is a form of one-upmanship. Like, "You have to do this because I'M SO BUSY" is shorthand for "I am more important than and superior to you, so do my bidding."

I am the only person I know with an abominably lazy contract teacher coworker, but she is literally a piece of human garbage, so I won't draw comparisons.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
I agree with meepmoopimmarobots

Maybe it's just an English problem.

Like the one that Koreans have with the word 외국인 that they say means foreigner but in actual fact seems to mean "Not Korean".

Offline Mashley30

• Super Waygook
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »

Like the one that Koreans have with the word 외국인 that they say means foreigner but in actual fact seems to mean "Not Korean".

It's cultural. No one wants to look idle. to save face, you say you're busy. Sometimes I think it's a way to ease social tension for those who are actually busy, even if it is backwards to us.

My cot has been letting me hang out in the office cause we're showing movies and I got camp and korean class work to do. She's the best. But one of the teachers in my office makes me feel shitty for it: "ohhh wow you're soooooooo lucky" etc. Ok, but you also only teach 12 classes a week compared to my 24 during the semester.

Offline jamonamagnet

• Expert Waygook
  • Don't put jam on a magnet.
« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
I organised my camp by myself.  My co-t is very good, but frankly I'd like no interference.

I hacked together a handful of different activities and presented a list.  "That's good!" is the response I got, so I am running with it.

My co-t is actually not here, as he is on training (because camp is not important).  However, next week all of the teachers will be away on training, but I have to stay (because camp is so important).

I'm happy because so far the kids love my activities and we are having a blast.

Oh, and my camp plans are not so much 'plans' as 'ideas for something to do'.  No paperwork required.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:51 PM »

It's cultural. No one wants to look idle. to save face, you say you're busy. Sometimes I think it's a way to ease social tension for those who are actually busy, even if it is backwards to us.

Korean culture to save face cost me close to 200000 won this week, So right now my tolerance for lies and bull shit is quite low.

Offline The 13th Earl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
One of my younger students stinks of piss and it's making me retch.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »

Korean culture to save face cost me close to 200000 won this week, So right now my tolerance for lies and bull shit is quite low.

High five of sadness!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
Ouch, that's a lot of money!  :sad:
Would it be insensitive of me to ask you to entertain us with your tale of woe?

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »

So they might be saying "not relaxed" but it's translated as busy
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2015, 07:42:28 PM »
Here's my "Leaving Korea, No More Mr. Nice Guy Friday Night After A Few Drinks" opinion on some things brought up here. 

1) Camp: I've been here many years and always prepared and taught my own camp.  The thing is, there was freedom there where I did everything without someone looking over my shoulder. Now it's last minute and it's like I have to get things "approved" and my CT needs to change things all the time just to "be in charge".  It's incredibly frustrating and condescending.  Prepare an activity for a couple of hours only for her to come in the next day and cut in half, tell the kids the answers even before we start and generally create a mood of impatience.  My CT is actually a very good teacher, a nice lady and excellent in English.  But it's that Koreaness, that need to micromanage and bully.  Let me do my job, or feel free to do it yourself.  You can't sort of do both on a whim.  It's exhausting. 

2) The busyness is definitely oneupmanship.  Everything's a competition here, and since busyness is such a defining feature of Korea why would that be anything else?  It's everything negative.  You're hungry?  I'M HUNGRIER!  I have to scream out in pain every time I see a picture of food!  You're cold?  I'M COLDER!  I have to scream "Chuwha!" every 2 seconds to convince everyone how much colder I am than them.  You're busy?  I'M BUSIER!  I have to run around and throw things and randomly start crying like a 5 year old suffering from bi-polar disorder so everyone knows I'm so busy. You're drunk?  I'M DRUNKER!  I will stumble and shout and heave in the middle of the street to bring up that kimchi pizza so everyone knows just how drunk I am!  It's a race to the bottom, who's worse off.  No room for positivity or happiness, which just fuels this soulless drab society.  Everything has to be hard.  It's exhausting. 

3) I'm convinced that saving face is just an excuse to be selfish, lazy and cowardly.  Yes, I accept it to a degree in Asia, and really every society has some level of saving face.  But in Korea we can't tell a little brat not to stab another kid with scissors because, GASP!, that would make him lose face.  Can't tell an old man who is sexually assaulting a woman to stop because, GASP!, that would cause him to lose face.  Maybe you're telling me to shut up and take it because you're just too lazy to do anything about it.  Get off your ass and ask the accountant when I'll get paid.  Wake up from your nap and count the English camp permission slips and tell me how many will attend.  Or how about you sacrifice some of your face and defend someone in trouble?  How about you let little Minso lose a little face so he won't lose an eye?  How about you get out of your chair in class and actually, I don't know, teach?  God forbid that 5 year old's ego will be dented.  Wouldn't want the little emperor to have to adjust his behaviour so the other 25 kids and 2 adults aren't in physical danger.  Maybe if that little princess punching another girl lost some face today she wouldn't be that total jerk shoving people at the Vancouver airport, causing her to make your whole country lose face.  Because seriously, maybe in your little corner of the world people will ignore it but if you want to open up no one's going to put up with some bossy 13 year old who demands to be treated like a king.  We're going to laugh at him.  Mock him.  Probably give him a good whack.  Get some perspective.  I'm so sick of being told to be quiet as people obviously don't care about being quiet abuse those below (or not even) them.  It's exhausting. 

4) This is going to sound terrible, and maybe it is, but Koreans in general are pretty lazy.  Now, hear me out.  I'm not saying this as a completely negative thing.  I'm saying "lazy" to use an extreme word, but I probably mean that this society is just slower.  And that's fine, lots of people flock to slower countries for vacations.  Lots move there if they have enough money because they envy that way of life.  The problem for Korea, though, is that they don't know that they are so slow.  They've been indoctrinated that they are super busy.  So what you get is a society that works on Island Time, but is convinced that they are doing a New York Minute in half the time.  It's an uneasy contradiction.  In slower countries everyone knows it's slow and even takes pride in it.  In Thailand, if there's a problem it won't get resolved quickly but then you go have some tea or a beer, enjoy the view, have a talk with someone, and eventually things will happen.  Here, the initial hesitation to do the work is present, but it's defended by "SO BUSY!" and then you're just shuffled on with no chance of remedy.  There's no beach to go wait it out, no locals joining you for a drink.  Nope, SO BUSY!  So there's this impression of everything going along just fine, but the reality is nothing is getting done.  Or, as I often put it, "Koreans: Always Running, Never Getting Anywhere".  It's sort of like how you can find beauty and dignity in both the cheetah scorching across the Sahara and the Tortoise moseying his way across a field.  There's something special about both those existences.  Korea is the hamster on a wheel.  Cute maybe, but dignified? If anything, it's exhausting. 

Anyway, I love Korea for other reasons (and will miss it for those reasons), and you should hear what I think about my own country.  But I thought I'd ramble on this Friday night after a few drinks. 

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2015, 12:01:49 AM »
I have a 5th grader who sucks her thumb every time shes not using her hand. Its kind of gross. Shes definitely too old for that. I want to tell her to stop but I think its not my place. Why would parents allow it that old?

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2015, 08:00:10 AM »
Happy Friday!  Hope everyone had a great first week back (if you were on vacation) or that your summer has been going well.  Clearly I don't have class this morning as my name is all over the top few threads  :rolleyes:

Last night I put my down comforter back on my bed.  My apartment doesn't have aircon, so I'm pretty f*ckin stoked that the weather is beginning to cool.  Bring on autumn and Chuseok!!!  ;D

I have a 5th grader who sucks her thumb every time shes not using her hand. Its kind of gross. Shes definitely too old for that. I want to tell her to stop but I think its not my place. Why would parents allow it that old?
Haha I sucked my thumb until I was 7!  My parents did everything they could to try and get my to stop, but I was incredibly stubborn and refused.  Then my pediatrician very dramatically told me it would fall off within a year if I didn't stop, and I never touched it again  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:02:47 AM by nomadicmadda »

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2015, 08:38:15 AM »
Well, I'm not banned... so there's that.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about my first week back.

I don't know what I was expecting... but I was still caught of guard by the rudeness, etc... from the students. Now I realized that I am back in the reality of my life. So it's sorta just cruise control.

My kitchen sink stopped working.

Oh, and I brought in my old laptop, setup it up and all, locked it to my desk, NO MORE SCHOOL COMPUTER!!! WOOT, and it all syncs through my One Drive back home and phone. Sweet.

Loving Windows 10.

Only had 1 week summer vacation.

However they gave me 4 weeks in winter so. There is that to look forward to.

Ummm...

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
I don't know what I was expecting... but I was still caught of guard by the rudeness, etc... from the students.

What year do you teach??  My high schoolers have never had an NET before (at this school).  They're all in a tizzy over me being here and are so respectful....so far  :wink:

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »
I don't know what I was expecting... but I was still caught of guard by the rudeness, etc... from the students.

What year do you teach??  My high schoolers have never had an NET before (at this school).  They're all in a tizzy over me being here and are so respectful....so far  :wink:

5/6th Elementary.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »

5/6th Elementary.
IMO the worst age to teach. Depending on the school they can either be monsters, or getting them so speak is like pulling teeth.