November 18, 2017, 11:50:20 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 401890 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2400 on: December 09, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
I got a new tea from Coupang, and it's a black tea mixed with a little bit of cocoa and chili peppers.

Ooh that sounds nice, I wish black tea didn't consistently make me nauseous. And I wish I'd never heard of Coupang -- too tempting to blow my money on salt & vinegar chips and brown sugar poptarts. I'm resisting...so far.  :sad:

1. that tea sounds awesome
2. HOLY SHIT YOU CAN BUY SALT AND VINEGAR CHIPS?? I just had my girlfriend send me some and then nagged friends going home to bring me some back omg I could've been buying them online

I suppose she decided to solve the mystery for you all. :) I would kill for salt and vinegar chips. Can anyone tell me if they have BBQ flavored pork rinds (chicharrones) on there?

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=779347989

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2401 on: December 09, 2016, 07:42:10 PM »
It's Friday 8:40 and the CU on the bottom floor of my building is filled with the smell of cheap soju and shin ramyeon with some side walk kimchi around the entrance.

I love this country!!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2402 on: December 12, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »
I just realized that if I make a new folder on my school computer and don't immediately give it a name, the computer assigns it a random bird name like duck, eagle, pigeon (in Korean). Is this because "New Folder" is also "bird folder" in Korean? (새 = bird & new) Is everyone's computer like this?

I had noticed that my new folders weren't automatically named '새 폴더' as well but instead had unique names, but I just imagined it was just some quirk of the Korean version of Windows and I never actually tried to check out what the folder names actually translated to until I saw your post. And you're right; I get bird names too! But it's nothing to do with the computer or Windows itself, apparently. It's done by compression software called ALZip, and one way or another that setting can be disabled if you don't like it. It seems more than a little intrusive, if you ask me. I believe it's Korean software, so I think you're right; someone over there was getting cutesy with the 새 puns. I got 'great bustard', 'black-crowned night heron'...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/new-folder-not-called-new-folder-left-unnamed-when/f056c224-3672-4b9d-ad0b-65f256d07cf5

I found out that that was done by a free compression software named ALZip. The bird names can be easily disabled within the software by turning off "Create new folders" under Context Menu in the Configuration dialog box. Perhaps you downloaded recently some software similar to that one?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2403 on: December 12, 2016, 10:00:30 AM »
I am starting to think that my school enrolls students in fight club because throughout the past month or so I have seen at least 12 students hobbling around in those boot casts and on crutches, and 3 students with broken hands/wrists/arms.

Offline wblancha

• Waygookin
« Reply #2404 on: December 12, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
I am starting to think that my school enrolls students in fight club because throughout the past month or so I have seen at least 12 students hobbling around in those boot casts and on crutches, and 3 students with broken hands/wrists/arms.

Do you teach in a boy's middle school by any chance?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2405 on: December 12, 2016, 10:06:13 AM »

Nope. It's a co-ed school. And at least 4 of them are girls, haha.

Offline wblancha

• Waygookin
« Reply #2406 on: December 12, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »

hahaha I've noticed the same at my school lately and it's a boys middle school.  When I ask them what happened it's usually the result of some rough playing around or soccer.  But sometimes I wonder....

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2407 on: December 12, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »

hahaha I've noticed the same at my school lately and it's a boys middle school.  When I ask them what happened it's usually the result of some rough playing around or soccer.  But sometimes I wonder....
Usually when I ask, they say "I fell down teacher" which is what really makes me wonder. It sounds akin to when people say that they tripped and fell into a doorknob, or like something that a fight club member would say.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2408 on: December 12, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
Stumbled upon a recipe for hamantaschen and they look good (kinda like a cousin to the thumbprint jam cookie?): http://toriavey.com/how-to/2012/03/how-to-make-perfect-hamantaschen/

Going to attempt these in my wee toaster oven. I think it can handle them.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2409 on: December 12, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
nausea seems a little better today. I walked down three flights of stairs twice to test it out since Thursday was my last day with dramamine and I felt a bit nauseous the second time but it passed fairly quickly.

I always feel a bit lightheaded during 3rd period, and I wonder if it might be because I don't eat breakfast. Gotta buy some oatmeal or something I guess....

my lymph nodes have been acting up again though, which means if I go to the clinic doctor he'll recommend me to a larger hospital and they'll probably drain the nodes bleh ew no

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2410 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
my lymph nodes have been acting up again though, which means if I go to the clinic doctor he'll recommend me to a larger hospital and they'll probably drain the nodes bleh ew no

If Trump won't drain the swamp, why should you have to drain the nodes?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2411 on: December 12, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »

If Trump won't drain the swamp, why should you have to drain the nodes?

hahahaha

I just hate surgery, no matter how minor. plus since they're armpit nodes it'll hurt for a week or so after, even if the incision is small, which will be a (literal) pain for teaching

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2412 on: December 12, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
coT told me that some students won't participate in winter camp due to schedule conflicts and seemed a bit down about it but I'm over here just thinking that lower numbers makes my job (and some activities in particular) easier lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2413 on: December 12, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
I got news that I'm supposed to be out of my apartment earlier than I thought, and asked not-girlfriend if I was still allowed to stay with her between moving out and shipping out on the plane, granted that I sleep on the couch to appease her grandma

She said that since she'll have a queen size bed by then I should sleep in the bed with her and that I'm "not the first lass" she's shared a bed with

well

I'm trying to understand what's going on but I haven't detangled it all yet lmao

Edit: so apparently it was her mom-mom and not her grandma-mom who thinks we're dating, and apparently desperately wants to invite me to Scotland to visit, while the reason I wasn't allowed to stay over at the house she lives in with grandma-mom is because there's not enough room on her twin bed

everything is always so convoluted with this girl I swear lmfao

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:17:06 PM by moonbrie »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2414 on: December 13, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »
The problem with cold weather is that it gives me more energy than I know what to do with.

This inevitably results in me overdoing it at the gym.

I think I'll be duck-waddling for at least a week.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2415 on: December 13, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
Just ordered a 24 pack of sweet, sweet Dr. Pepper from Gmarket.

I imagined #basedcowboyshirt feeling a sudden shudder down his spine as soon as I clicked 'buy now'  ;D

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2416 on: December 13, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
Cane back from class to find two fried shrimps from the principal on my desk

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2417 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
I want a nap and a cheeseburger soooooo bad right now.

Because it's Tuesday and it's good for nothing else.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2418 on: December 13, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »
I can't wait for the McDonalds to be finished in my city. It's opening this month but the sign doesn't say when. All I want is to order 15,000won worth of hashbrowns for breakfast. Is that too much to ask for?

Offline blazaforest

• Waygookin
« Reply #2419 on: December 13, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »
These last couple of weeks have been spent going on field trips with my high schoolers (a super tight-knit boarding school), watching christmas movies (I hate christmas but I adore my kids), and the rest of my free time at work I get plenty of time to design tattoos for my friends, with two inked and counting this month.

After Christmas, I have 6 weeks of vacation,most of which will be spent gallivanting around South-east Asia with my wonderfully salty friends, searching for good food and good diving spots.

Life has me salivating ya'll. SALIVATING.