November 19, 2017, 02:55:08 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402518 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2300 on: December 05, 2016, 12:41:37 PM »
Anyone want to hear a funny story from this weekend to lighten the mood? haha

At the protest on Saturday, waddling through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd trying get back to the subway station, I spied a cute little boy with his mom and overheard this gem of a conversation:

"Mom, I'm tired. Can we go home now?"

"We can go home when Park Geun-Hye is out of office."

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2301 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
Yeah. Gahhh I'm so nervous. But I'm definitely going today. Wish I had someone to go with me for moral support but I guess this is ~being an adult~

Although you can never beat a proper checkup which you should fix as soon as possible, I can relate to some of your symptons.

Last year, I taught in the girls middle school, but also teaching in two boys middle schools, another countryside middle school and also the teachers' classes.  So I was always on the move.  I am a very focused person when I am at school, and always teach with energy and plan everything to perfection even after all the time I've been here.  I didn't feel stressed and was enjoying being busy, but always being alert was taking its toll.  So in May, I started to get these massive dizzy spells where it felt like my head was spinning.  There wasn't anything that really brought them on, they just hit me.  They'd last for two or three hours.  ENT didn't really fix it.  Another doctor in Seoul prescribed me something, when I got home and saw that he'd given me a week of valium.  WTF!  Didn't take it.  I found that by the time I got to the summer holiday it was better.  So I think with the stress from your co-t etc, it is making you dizzy.  But that said it would be best to see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2302 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »

At the protest on Saturday, waddling through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd trying get back to the subway station, I spied a cute little boy with his mom and overheard this gem of a conversation:

I went Chrsitmas shopping with my bf on Sunday and it was fun seeing him get excited about decorations and trying to find stuff with me.

Not really a funny story, but a rambling and a mood lightener.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2303 on: December 05, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »

Ahahahah! That's great.

I have this friend and a lot of people think she and I are dating. Her coworkers all think we're dating and a couple of my friends always ask "So how are things going with X?" as if we're an item. It's understandable, given that we both swing that way, and given that she spends almost every weekend at my place, but our relationship is platonic (albeit very close). Her mom has hassled her about whether or not we're dating and she's just told her "Kind of"

Well, this weekend I found out that her grandma thinks we're more than just "kind of" dating. This based on: Every time I go to visit her at her grandparents' house, her grandma makes her vacuum the whole apartment, clean her room, and even judges the outfit she decides to wear. I am also apparently not allowed to sleep over at her house (there's no room for me to sleep over, so I've never tried), and this weekend before she met up with me she was on the phone with her grandpa and he asked if she "needed anything" = lube.

WELL  :laugh:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2304 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »

I think we may have been in the same place.

I heard the boy say, "please don't drag me into your trendy political social gathering. I have not yet made up my mind about the scandal. I have neither the facts nor the perspicacity to decide. I get that babysitters are difficult to find, but you had weeks to look. Just let me be a kid and not worry about such things until I am older and can think critically."
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2305 on: December 05, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »

I think we may have been in the same place.

I heard the boy say, "please don't drag me into your trendy political social gathering. I have not yet made up my mind about the scandal. I have neither the facts nor the perspicacity to decide. I get that babysitters are difficult to find, but you had weeks to look. Just let me be a kid and not worry about such things until I am older and can think critically."

That's the one! Just an adorable little thing, wasn't he?
That was me in the superman getup taking selfies next to him.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2306 on: December 05, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »

Ahahahah! That's great.

I have this friend and a lot of people think she and I are dating. Her coworkers all think we're dating and a couple of my friends always ask "So how are things going with X?" as if we're an item. It's understandable, given that we both swing that way, and given that she spends almost every weekend at my place, but our relationship is platonic (albeit very close). Her mom has hassled her about whether or not we're dating and she's just told her "Kind of"

Well, this weekend I found out that her grandma thinks we're more than just "kind of" dating. This based on: Every time I go to visit her at her grandparents' house, her grandma makes her vacuum the whole apartment, clean her room, and even judges the outfit she decides to wear. I am also apparently not allowed to sleep over at her house (there's no room for me to sleep over, so I've never tried), and this weekend before she met up with me she was on the phone with her grandpa and he asked if she "needed anything" = lube.

WELL  :laugh:

Coolest granddad ever!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2307 on: December 07, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Today's teacher bonding activity is fishing. Well that's new. I don't care about actually fishing but am hoping I can just chill by/on the water.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2308 on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
Man that sounds so fun. I'm always jealous of people whose schools do stuff like that haha

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2309 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »
Today's teacher bonding activity is fishing. Well that's new. I don't care about actually fishing but am hoping I can just chill by/on the water.
Won't that be cold?

But that does sound like fun! I haven't ever gotten to do that sort of stuff at any schools. There was one time when the teachers all went hiking, but that was after the same knee surgery so I missed that.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2310 on: December 07, 2016, 10:05:10 AM »
Probably! But I think it's a bit warmer than it has been lately?

For some reason I feel way less motivated on deskwarming days. Like I'm working on stuff, but at a much more relaxed pace than on regular days with classes. Something about days without classes just kills motivation I guess.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2311 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »

For some reason I feel way less motivated on deskwarming days. Like I'm working on stuff, but at a much more relaxed pace than on regular days with classes. Something about days without classes just kills motivation I guess.

Yeah. I have no classes in the afternoon ever and it kills my productivity. When I've got like a one hour break between classes, I can bang out a couple PPTs or do some test marking, or check their homework or something, and I'm fast.

But after lunch? I get absolutely nothing done ever. It's so hard to motivate yourself when you've got a 4 hour period of no structure.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2312 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »
I got some new earrings but the two piercings that I did myself (oh so long ago) are smaller than my new (standard size?) piercings that they do with the hollow needle. So now it seems my new earrings are literally stretching my old piercings and my ear feels a wee bit tender. Ah the regrets of youthful impulses.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2313 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
I got some new earrings but the two piercings that I did myself (oh so long ago) are smaller than my new (standard size?) piercings that they do with the hollow needle. So now it seems my new earrings are literally stretching my old piercings and my ear feels a wee bit tender. Ah the regrets of youthful impulses.

Piercing your own ears is pretty badass, Waygook.org user yirj17.

Somewhat related: I bought a pair of earrings for my significant other last time I was in my home country. They never get worn. Oops.

Noted: Jewelry, clothing, etc. are too personal to be given as gifts.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2314 on: December 07, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »

Yeah. I have no classes in the afternoon ever and it kills my productivity. When I've got like a one hour break between classes, I can bang out a couple PPTs or do some test marking, or check their homework or something, and I'm fast.

But after lunch? I get absolutely nothing done ever. It's so hard to motivate yourself when you've got a 4 hour period of no structure.

I'm totally the opposite. I need to know I have at least 2 hours to do something before I can start on it, because I know that I'll feel super frustrated if I work on something for an hour and get really absorbed and have to stop

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2315 on: December 08, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »
The back-up camera on my car is awesome!  ;D

It allows me to back in to places that are so tight, I can't open the door to get out!  :undecided:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2316 on: December 08, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
The hotpack they gave me for the fishing trip yesterday is still warm. What's the lifespan on these things?

10 teachers, 2 hours, 1 fish caught. Lol. Not that anyone really took it seriously-- one guy brought a tent to set up on the dock and chilled inside most of the time  :laugh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2317 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:24 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/v/GcMLHMteXGg

looking up jitterbug videos and DAMN

(skip to around 1:40 to see something really impressive)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:44:54 AM by moonbrie »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2318 on: December 08, 2016, 08:46:57 AM »
*sigh* No classes this morning, but it's the third grade class which I love because not only are the kids so cute and awesome but the co-teacher is so supportive and actually knows what he's doing. We actually co-teach instead of one person sitting back the whole time and his English skills are impressive, especially for someone who has only been abroad for two months.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2319 on: December 08, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »

Piercing your own ears is pretty badass, Waygook.org user yirj17.

Somewhat related: I bought a pair of earrings for my significant other last time I was in my home country. They never get worn. Oops.

Noted: Jewelry, clothing, etc. are too personal to be given as gifts.
But if it's for your SO then isn't that the time to be giving personal items?