September 25, 2017, 08:10:31 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356135 times)

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2280 on: December 02, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
The other day I had dinner with a teacher at my school and I told her about some of my problems with jerk boss. She said that yeah, jerk boss is friendly, but not nice. Her words "it is sometimes uncomfortable. it is difficult for me to talk to her"

YEP

Then when I was telling her about how I had sent a kakao to my handler teacher because there was a mysterious alarm going off in my apartment but the management office was closed and she never responded; never even asked that morning if I had figured it out and everything had turned out ok. My characterization of her has always been: nice, but not friendly or thoughtful. Teacher I had dinner with said "I think she is not interested in friends, only work. She only cares about work."

MHM (When I first asked handler teacher why she took on being my handler instead of one of the other teachers, she said it was because she wanted to get more opportunities to practice her English, because the last time she worked with a foreign teacher she wasn't the handler and she barely talked to him. This same woman has refused all of my invitations for coffee or dinner  :rolleyes: )

It was kind of validating because back when I had to have the talk with the Principal about jerk boss, she asked "is she like this with everyone else?" and my answer was... I don't know. I don't know because I'm not fluent in Korean and I don't see every interaction she has. So it was good to know that despite that, I pinned her pretty accurately according to another Korean teacher.

Not to be condescending, but why are you trying to get so involved in workplace politics? I think you have to realise your "handlers" are people too, and have lives outside of work.

You went to talk to the Principle about your boss behind their back?  :huh: I'm sure your a great teacher, but maybe you should take a step back here.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2281 on: December 02, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
Er, have you read the saga of jerk boss?

I'm not trying to get involved in workplace politics. I was having dinner with a friend and we talked about work. I'm 90% sure she doesn't feel any need to talk about this with anyone else either.

I talked to the principal about jerk boss because she is seriously hassling me at least once a week, sometimes over school-related things where she tells me I'm a terrible teacher but offers no suggestions on how to improve, sometimes over things like me not acting like she is a literal god and not doing everything she says (like eating, instead of throwing away, a perfectly fine piece of bread I had which she was convinced had bugs inside it, and then using this instance of me not following her "instructions" on something non-teaching related on her perceptions of my failures as a teacher), and ripped into me so hard that I started crying.

I honestly don't care that my handler doesn't want to be friends. It's fine. But given that she said directly that she wanted to talk to me and spend time with me to practice her English, and then does exactly the opposite of that was a bit strange. I'm used to it now. I'm just saying she's not friendly. It's not a value judgement, it's a fact.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2282 on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:05 AM »
Tempted to show this to my elem. grade 3s next year...

Would you rather this or PPAP?  :laugh: Happy Friday!

Thank you for this, I just downloaded it to toss it into a ppt somewhere. It's happening.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2283 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: 

If you're interested in the full version, there's a whole song and dance number: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1svA2sGhDEE

I gotta say, their dance skills are pretty impressive!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2284 on: December 02, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Tempted to show this to my elem. grade 3s next year...

Would you rather this or PPAP?  :laugh: Happy Friday!

Daaaaaang that's fantastic.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2285 on: December 02, 2016, 02:48:38 PM »
The other day I had dinner with a teacher at my school and I told her about some of my problems with jerk boss. She said that yeah, jerk boss is friendly, but not nice. Her words "it is sometimes uncomfortable. it is difficult for me to talk to her"

YEP

Then when I was telling her about how I had sent a kakao to my handler teacher because there was a mysterious alarm going off in my apartment but the management office was closed and she never responded; never even asked that morning if I had figured it out and everything had turned out ok. My characterization of her has always been: nice, but not friendly or thoughtful. Teacher I had dinner with said "I think she is not interested in friends, only work. She only cares about work."

MHM (When I first asked handler teacher why she took on being my handler instead of one of the other teachers, she said it was because she wanted to get more opportunities to practice her English, because the last time she worked with a foreign teacher she wasn't the handler and she barely talked to him. This same woman has refused all of my invitations for coffee or dinner  :rolleyes: )

It was kind of validating because back when I had to have the talk with the Principal about jerk boss, she asked "is she like this with everyone else?" and my answer was... I don't know. I don't know because I'm not fluent in Korean and I don't see every interaction she has. So it was good to know that despite that, I pinned her pretty accurately according to another Korean teacher.

Not to be condescending, but why are you trying to get so involved in workplace politics? I think you have to realise your "handlers" are people too, and have lives outside of work.

You went to talk to the Principle about your boss behind their back?  :huh: I'm sure your a great teacher, but maybe you should take a step back here.

I think you must have missed out on the bunch of other posts Moonbrie has already made about their boss.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2286 on: December 02, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
Thank you Ajahya  :laugh: :cry:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2287 on: December 02, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »

YEP

I think you must have missed out on the bunch of other posts Moonbrie has already made about their boss.

Sooo, we can't be condescending...? :-[

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2288 on: December 02, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »
When my new coteacher tells me that she wants to start every 5th and 6th grade class by singing a pop song.

(They already are too cool for school; there is no way they're going to want to embarrass themselves by singing.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:06:40 PM by flyingspider »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2289 on: December 02, 2016, 04:12:32 PM »

I thought you were tryna start a fight donovan but then I saw your post in the other thread  :P

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2290 on: December 02, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
When my new coteacher tells me that she wants to start every 5th and 6th grade class by singing a pop song.

(They already are too cool for school, there is no way they're going to want to embarrass themselves by singing.)

Yeah. It rarely goes well. I find doing something kind of kitschy that is blatantly not cool tends to go over the best. If the students see you think it's lame and you're still doing it, it tends to loosen them up a little.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2291 on: December 02, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »

I thought you were tryna start a fight donovan but then I saw your post in the other thread  :P

Fight? Yeah, I'll fight. Let me at 'im! I'll bring this forum to its knees! I'll make every thread I touch into a personal grudge match of mental and moral superiority! BRING IT ON!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:46:29 PM by donovan »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2292 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
Yeah. It rarely goes well. I find doing something kind of kitschy that is blatantly not cool tends to go over the best. If the students see you think it's lame and you're still doing it, it tends to loosen them up a little.
There have been times when we've done a silly song (early in the semester when they didn't have quite so much attitude) so they can ironically enjoy that, but it's rare for sixth graders to enjoy anything these days. They might like to listen to "Count on Me" by Bruno Mars, but when it comes to singing they just stare at their desks. And we only have a month left and they're trying to get used to a brand new coteacher whose style is very different from the co I had up until last week. It's a big adjustment for all of us. She's very nice, but I find that I keep repeating "just one month left" pretty often.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2293 on: December 02, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
There have been times when we've done a silly song (early in the semester when they didn't have quite so much attitude) so they can ironically enjoy that, but it's rare for sixth graders to enjoy anything these days. They might like to listen to "Count on Me" by Bruno Mars, but when it comes to singing they just stare at their desks. And we only have a month left and they're trying to get used to a brand new coteacher whose style is very different from the co I had up until last week. It's a big adjustment for all of us. She's very nice, but I find that I keep repeating "just one month left" pretty often.

Yeah. Good luck with that. Been there before, and there's no real way to make it work out well. Just get through it, lol.

Offline rtw_acrobat

• Adventurer
« Reply #2294 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »
My entire building smells like baking brownies.  Why does it smell like brownies.  Gods, I can't even remember the last time I had a proper brownie.
Missing a font for my materials?  Try these:
- Handfish Suite by Paul (http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=9060.0)
- Century Gothic, Segoe Print, & Berlin Sans FB (print-style sans serif, packaged with MS Office)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2295 on: December 02, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
i should be preparing for my winter camp.

instead i'm watching a 90-minute long video of a dude making a life-sized replica of the Buster Sword from Final Fantasy 7.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2296 on: December 02, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »
I haven't prepped for winter camp yet either

Instead I'm considering what movie I should watch for movie night tonight.

Any suggestions? Nothing scary or heavy haha

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2297 on: December 02, 2016, 04:56:48 PM »
We're using the same tests from last year, but inexplicably we are now giving A+s (No A-. No B+. Only A+ along with the standard A, B, C, D, F.) which we didn't last year. So for the speaking test, which is already painfully easy for the majority of class, I kept the scoring system intact and only awarded an A+ to students who had zero wrong. Complaints ensued and now I'm revising the scoring so that...

You get an A+! And you get an A+! Everyone gets an A+!

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2298 on: December 02, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »
I haven't prepped for winter camp yet either

Instead I'm considering what movie I should watch for movie night tonight.

Any suggestions? Nothing scary or heavy haha

If you don't mind watching something with subs, 뷰티 인사이드 was a really entertaining Korean romcom that was way better than I expected.

If you want a good-bad comedy, try Bad Teachers. It's... topical.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2299 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Bump for "Beauty Inside." I enjoyed that movie.

Also liked "Born to Sing."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:20:22 PM by yirj17 »

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment