September 21, 2017, 09:33:08 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353162 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2260 on: November 25, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2261 on: November 25, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
Spinach here is dirttttt cheap, and generally really fresh and good. Back home, I used to only eat baby spinach, but here you can get regular spinach and it's still soft and good.

baby spinach drives me crazy. it's become so popular that I often have trouble finding regular spinach, and baby spinach tastes a lot more iron-y to me than regular spinach, to the point that if I eat a bunch of it my teeth feel weird

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2262 on: November 28, 2016, 04:58:52 PM »
"Thanksgiving" dinner went pretty well, although I messed up a bit on the dishes I have less experience making (stuffing and the creamed spinach). My friend's grandpa's friends came over and were all eating raw fish that one of the friends had caught that morning, and tried some of the food. They really loved the mashed potatoes and gravy and kept looking at me, pointing at the food, and saying "American Style! Very good!" Even though I made a huge amount of gravy compared to the amount of food overall, it was gone before I headed home. I think the star of the night was the pomegramate-cherry pie with handmade whipped cream though  :evil:

My friend also invited me to be her "date" for a wedding next Sunday. I'm excited because I've wanted to go to a Korean wedding, and even though two people in my office have gotten married, since I wasn't specifically invited I didn't feel comfortable going. It's pretty funny, though, because all of her coworkers think we're dating since we're practically joined at the hip, and this is not going to help matters  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2263 on: December 01, 2016, 10:24:44 AM »
'tis December, y'all.

Last night was teacher's dinner and we ended up at the same restaurant as another middle school we just played volleyball against. The other school made a loud toast and my school seemed to view that as a challenge which resulted in a friendly competition of who can make the loudest cheer  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2264 on: December 01, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
'tis December, y'all.

Last night was teacher's dinner and we ended up at the same restaurant as another middle school we just played volleyball against. The other school made a loud toast and my school seemed to view that as a challenge which resulted in a friendly competition of who can make the loudest cheer  :laugh: :laugh:
Oh, I hope you guys were alone in the restaurant, haha.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2265 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
We sure weren't!! Lucky for the other patrons it was a brief contest hahah

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2266 on: December 01, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
Sounds like fun. I always wanted to take part in the school volleyball stuff, but my first school either  didn't have it or didn't invite me, and literally my first weekend at my second school I tore my ACL and MCL and had to have knee surgery. So still no volleyball.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2267 on: December 01, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »
Yikes  :huh: :huh: That's awful!!

My school always wants me involved in volleyball. I'm not any good at all but my coworkers insist I am a "key player." Hah

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2268 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »
Sounds like fun. I always wanted to take part in the school volleyball stuff, but my first school either  didn't have it or didn't invite me, and literally my first weekend at my second school I tore my ACL and MCL and had to have knee surgery. So still no volleyball.

We had compulsory volleyball every Friday from 3pm in my old, terrible elementary school because the principal loved it.  Nice to play, but being larger than hobbit-sized I was on the net.  I also don't go in for the orthodox stuff, 'Dave teacher, put your hands like this when you hit it'  I'm a maverick!  Like, erm, Mel Gibson. 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2269 on: December 01, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »
Yeah, it sucked.

Do you have fun with it though? I hear so many on here who hate that their school makes them play.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2270 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:10 AM »
Yeah, it sucked.

Do you have fun with it though? I hear so many on here who hate that their school makes them play.

Yeh, it was fun but then again I really like sports.  I'd never really played before, being a Brit.  But my Korean is good enough to chat and laugh with the teachers when we play.  I think over eight months, my team lost overall, once.  But it was a nice way to finish the week.  There also was no compulsory dinner linked with it, which was also a bonus.  Finish, then go home. 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2271 on: December 01, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
Yeah, it sucked.

Yeh, it was fun but then again I really like sports.  I'd never really played before, being a Brit.  But my Korean is good enough to chat and laugh with the teachers when we play.  I think over eight months, my team lost overall, once.  But it was a nice way to finish the week.  There also was no compulsory dinner linked with it, which was also a bonus.  Finish, then go home.
Ah ok. See that's what I miss, the sports. It's hard to find teams in Korea. But it definitely sounds like yours is fun!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2272 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
I enjoy volleyball and badminton, because overall my school is pretty casual about sports. Even the select players who are very good are just encouraging of the rest of us who aren't.

With my school, volleyball feels more like a bonding event than a competition. Honestly the only times I'm less than keen on it is when we're playing against the schools with guys who can slam the ball like a bullet across the court and then it feels more like dodgeball.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2273 on: December 01, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
See that's what I miss, the sports. It's hard to find teams in Korea. But it definitely sounds like yours is fun!
If you're looking to join some teams for low-key fun-focused sports, I would definitely recommend looking at university communities. Sign up for some language lessons or something similar at a uni, do a bit of networking, and you will be amazed at the variety of clubs and teams to be found.
Over the last few years, I've been part of a very informal softball league, volleyball team, flag rugby group, board-game club*, ultimate frisbee competitions, and TKD all thanks to uni connections.
Granted, I live in a university town, but stuff like this exists in most cities to one degree or another.

*yes, board games can be a sport, depending on how competitive/involved the players get.  :wink:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2274 on: December 01, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
See that's what I miss, the sports. It's hard to find teams in Korea. But it definitely sounds like yours is fun!
If you're looking to join some teams for low-key fun-focused sports, I would definitely recommend looking at university communities. Sign up for some language lessons or something similar at a uni, do a bit of networking, and you will be amazed at the variety of clubs and teams to be found.
Over the last few years, I've been part of a very informal softball league, volleyball team, flag rugby group, board-game club*, ultimate frisbee competitions, and TKD all thanks to uni connections.
Granted, I live in a university town, but stuff like this exists in most cities to one degree or another.

*yes, board games can be a sport, depending on how competitive/involved the players get.  :wink:
I actually live really close to Yonsei, so I tried seeing if there was anything I could join there without much luck. But I'm also not sure how to go about properly doing that. I used to be part of a volleyball team in Itaewon, but stuff changed and I don't go anymore. I wish I could do ultimate, I used to be a member of my universities team, but I can't really do any hard sports anymore because of my knee.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2275 on: December 01, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »
I actually live really close to Yonsei, so I tried seeing if there was anything I could join there without much luck. But I'm also not sure how to go about properly doing that. I used to be part of a volleyball team in Itaewon, but stuff changed and I don't go anymore. I wish I could do ultimate, I used to be a member of my universities team, but I can't really do any hard sports anymore because of my knee.
    Ah, a bum knee kind of narrows the potential activities one can do, doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear about it.  :sad:
   Doesn't Seoul have a Facebook page? I mean, if my 30,000 rural hick-town has one, then Seoul must have a million! There are always loads of groups looking for new members in my area, so a few questions of FB could score you a half dozen invites.
   Stuff like bowling, table tennis, darts, and archery might sound kind of lame to some, but if you have a decent group they can be pretty intense!

Wish I could give you more specific answers, but I don't live anywhere near Seoul and don't know much about what's available there. Best of luck finding something though!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:11:02 PM by kyndo »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2276 on: December 01, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »
    Ah, a bum knee kind of narrows the potential activities one can do, doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear about it.  :sad:
   Doesn't Seoul have a Facebook page? I mean, if my 30,000 rural hick-town has one, then Seoul must have a million! There are always loads of groups looking for new members in my area, so a few questions of FB could score you a half dozen invites.
   Stuff like bowling, table tennis, darts, and archery might sound kind of lame to some, but if you have a decent group they can be pretty intense!

Wish I could give you more specific answers, but I don't live anywhere near Seoul and don't know much about what's available there. Best of luck finding something though!
Haha, that it does. I joined a badminton group actually, which is fun. Not quite the sporty activities I had in mind, but you're right, they can get pretty stinking intense.

I'm sure Seoul has tons of FB pages, and some I am a member of, but at the same time, there are too many pages.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:26:07 AM by HaLo3 »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2277 on: December 01, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »
Lol when a student comes to the teacher's office and asks a teacher to please come to class.

It's a teacher everyone likes, he wasn't being lazy but must have lost track of time or something.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2278 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
The other day I had dinner with a teacher at my school and I told her about some of my problems with jerk boss. She said that yeah, jerk boss is friendly, but not nice. Her words "it is sometimes uncomfortable. it is difficult for me to talk to her"

YEP

Then when I was telling her about how I had sent a kakao to my handler teacher because there was a mysterious alarm going off in my apartment but the management office was closed and she never responded; never even asked that morning if I had figured it out and everything had turned out ok. My characterization of her has always been: nice, but not friendly or thoughtful. Teacher I had dinner with said "I think she is not interested in friends, only work. She only cares about work."

MHM (When I first asked handler teacher why she took on being my handler instead of one of the other teachers, she said it was because she wanted to get more opportunities to practice her English, because the last time she worked with a foreign teacher she wasn't the handler and she barely talked to him. This same woman has refused all of my invitations for coffee or dinner  :rolleyes: )

It was kind of validating because back when I had to have the talk with the Principal about jerk boss, she asked "is she like this with everyone else?" and my answer was... I don't know. I don't know because I'm not fluent in Korean and I don't see every interaction she has. So it was good to know that despite that, I pinned her pretty accurately according to another Korean teacher.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2279 on: December 02, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Tempted to show this to my elem. grade 3s next year...

Would you rather this or PPAP?  :laugh: Happy Friday!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment