September 25, 2017, 05:14:54 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356492 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2140 on: November 18, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
Going to watch Brokeback Mountain with the gf, make some rice nuruk (fermentation starter for mak), go to Paju for a party, go to Left Coast Burger, go to Jongno for a webtoon artist exhibition and buy some fresh vanilla pods for some mak brewing.

Maybe get some sleep.  ;D
I'm going to laminate a small child.
Well that escalated quickly.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2141 on: November 18, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
I'm going to laminate a small child.
Obviously you're gonna want to run the machine on its fastest setting, so don't forget to crank the heat up, else you're gonna get a weak seal.
Also, I'm not sure what kind of laminater your office has, but the one at mine (BiO 330) is able to do double A-3, so you're not actually limited to just small children. Basically anything up to a small grade fiver is doable.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2142 on: November 18, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
Obviously you're gonna want to run the machine on its fastest setting, so don't forget to crank the heat up, else you're gonna get a weak seal.
What do a walrus and tupperware have in common?
They both like a tight seal!  :afro: :afro: :afro:

Also, @Chinguetti

Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2143 on: November 18, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
What do a walrus and tupperware have in common?
They both like a tight seal!
  :afro: :afro: :afro:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:15:08 PM by kyndo »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2144 on: November 18, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »

Walrus walrus Walrus walrus walrus walrus Walrus walrus. This sentence is grammatically correct.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2145 on: November 18, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »
I feel like I should start collecting all of my principal stories in one document

Anyways, today principal offered me some grape juice and I came down to her office to partake. She inquired after my health and said I don't look well, to which I replied I was just cold. This made her think better of giving me cold grape juice, so she started making me some strange mushroom and pine needle tea. When I asked for a strainer she instructed me to just drink the pine needles along with the tea. Ok.

She peeled a whole persimmon for me except I really don't like persimmons, they taste like watery raw pumpkin to me. I made a good attempt on it but couldn't eat more than a couple bites, so then she started giving me nuts and dried fruits. She sent me back to the office with a mint tin full of golden berries and candied ginger.

She asked if I remembered the instructions she gave for washing my hair, because apparently it doesn't look to her like I washed my hair. I had to carefully explain that unless I spend upwards of an hour styling my hair, it always looks like a frizzy disaster, and yes, I washed it yesterday.

She then invited me to a children's orchestra performance next weekend and said she was sad I didn't come to her office more often. I assured her that after winter break I would have plenty of time and I would hang out with her, and she promised to give me delicious food whenever I do.

Then she explained to me how to massage my ears when I'm feeling cold, and gave me a hand massage because my hands looked so pale and cold (except... I'm pale... that's why my hands are pale).

Oh yeah and she gave me some lip gloss out of her purse??

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2146 on: November 18, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »

Was it used?

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2147 on: November 18, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Market day at school. I somehow got roped into a 900 won bag full of plastic dinosaurs. I got rid of all of them by slipping them into kids' shopping bags and coat hoods as I walked around. They'll find good homes. I (voluntarily) picked up one of those five-holed, bamboo flutes with the notched end (단소.) I've never been able to make one sound properly. Time to learn.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2148 on: November 18, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »
Walrus walrus Walrus walrus walrus walrus Walrus walrus. This sentence is grammatically correct.
I've always had problems with that sentence. It would seem to me that it would read better if one changed it to "Walrus walruses Walrus walruses walrus, walrus Walrus walruses."

But that's nothing: the Chinese definitely one upped us with this:

Pure, beautiful poetry!

Also, how does one kill a walrus?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:41:07 PM by kyndo »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2149 on: November 18, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
What are you guys doing this evening?

your mom

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2150 on: November 18, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »
I feel like I should start collecting all of my principal stories in one document

Anyways, today principal offered me some grape juice and I came down to her office to partake. She inquired after my health and said I don't look well, to which I replied I was just cold. This made her think better of giving me cold grape juice, so she started making me some strange mushroom and pine needle tea. When I asked for a strainer she instructed me to just drink the pine needles along with the tea. Ok.

She peeled a whole persimmon for me except I really don't like persimmons, they taste like watery raw pumpkin to me. I made a good attempt on it but couldn't eat more than a couple bites, so then she started giving me nuts and dried fruits. She sent me back to the office with a mint tin full of golden berries and candied ginger.

She asked if I remembered the instructions she gave for washing my hair, because apparently it doesn't look to her like I washed my hair. I had to carefully explain that unless I spend upwards of an hour styling my hair, it always looks like a frizzy disaster, and yes, I washed it yesterday.

She then invited me to a children's orchestra performance next weekend and said she was sad I didn't come to her office more often. I assured her that after winter break I would have plenty of time and I would hang out with her, and she promised to give me delicious food whenever I do.

Then she explained to me how to massage my ears when I'm feeling cold, and gave me a hand massage because my hands looked so pale and cold (except... I'm pale... that's why my hands are pale).

Hmm it's nice and caring and all but other teachers might really resent that treatment. So just be careful :/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:39:04 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2151 on: November 18, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
Those sound good. But why use garlic powder when Korean garlic is so yum? Garlic powder always tastes kind of... blah, to me.

Seriously?  I can only find it pre-peeled and all the cloves have lost their flavor.

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2152 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
What are you guys doing this evening?

Anything fun planned?
Crocheting a bunny for the science teacher's upcoming baby. :smiley: I don't know if that counts as fun but after a loud day at school a quiet evening in sounds nice.

Also I can't wait until Golden Bell is over. It's one of those "more hassle that it's worth" events. I'm working on 5th grade's and I had a "Which one doesn't belong?" question. Right now we're in the "What a nice house!" lesson so I put pictures of a stove, a sofa, a toilet, and a car. The car is the obvious one out since it doesn't belong in the house. But my coteacher thought it was too confusing ("they will think it is all stuffs") so now it's an apple, which seems too easy. But they have to spell it so at least there is a little bit of a challenge in it.

Friday afternoons just draaaaaag on. Happy weekend, everybody!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2153 on: November 18, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
Also I can't wait until Golden Bell is over. It's one of those "more hassle that it's worth" events. I'm working on 5th grade's and I had a "Which one doesn't belong?" question. Right now we're in the "What a nice house!" lesson so I put pictures of a stove, a sofa, a toilet, and a car. The car is the obvious one out since it doesn't belong in the house. But my coteacher thought it was too confusing ("they will think it is all stuffs") so now it's an apple, which seems too easy. But they have to spell it so at least there is a little bit of a challenge in it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2154 on: November 18, 2016, 05:25:03 PM »

Was it used?

I have no idea.

I tried it on anyways but I feel like I look like an ogre with lip stuff on anyways and it had a really bad taste so... definitely won't be using it

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2155 on: November 18, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
There's a running gag in the office where some teachers will point fingers at each other and declare "bad man/woman!" or "criminal!" for amusement. One of the teachers told me that another teacher's new nickname was "쓰레기" and that it meant "bad man" in Korean.

I found out pretty quickly that it actually means "garbage."  :blank: :shocked: :laugh: These jokesters.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2156 on: November 18, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »
There's a running gag in the office where some teachers will point fingers at each other and declare "bad man/woman!" or "criminal!" for amusement. One of the teachers told me that another teacher's new nickname was "쓰레기" and that it meant "bad man" in Korean.

I found out pretty quickly that it actually means "garbage."  :blank: :shocked: :laugh: These jokesters.

If you want to impress them, call one of them 불청객 when they come in. It means intruder.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2157 on: November 19, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
I've lived in Korea for nearly three years and only just found this out.

I've been pronouncing the Kakao character Apeach's name as "에이 peach".

Turns out his name is actually pronounced "어 peach".

:shocked:

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2158 on: November 19, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
I've lived in Korea for nearly three years and only just found this out.

I've been pronouncing the Kakao character Apeach's name as "에이 peach".

Turns out his name is actually pronounced "어 peach".

:shocked:

For the few months here I thought that thing was supposed to be an ass. Finding out that it was a fruit was soul altering.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #2159 on: November 21, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
Coteacher is out with a family emergency so I have to teach my classes solo for the first time (outside of after school lessons). Feel confident about the 5th and 6th graders but the 3rd, not so much. Let's see what happens.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment