November 19, 2017, 02:53:06 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402509 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2140 on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
Hayao Miyazaki is emerging from retirement again.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hayao-miyazaki-is-stepping-out-of-retirement-for-one-fi-1788928111

I haven't loved his later works as much as older ones but I'm still happy to see more.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2141 on: November 21, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hayao-miyazaki-is-stepping-out-of-retirement-for-one-fi-1788928111

I haven't loved his later works as much as older ones but I'm still happy to see more.
I saw that! I'm not sure how I feel about a caterpillar movie.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2142 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »

FEATURE LENGTH caterpillar movie!! Hahahah

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2143 on: November 21, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
I've lived in Korea for nearly three years and only just found this out.

I've been pronouncing the Kakao character Apeach's name as "에이 peach".

Turns out his name is actually pronounced "어 peach".

:shocked:

For the few months here I thought that thing was supposed to be an ass. Finding out that it was a fruit was soul altering.

I love Apeach for the reason that it looks like an ass. Finding out that Muzi is supposed to be a raddish possibly brought to life by Con (some 4th graders tried to explain it to me so the actual story behind it could have got lost in translation) was what surprised me.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2144 on: November 21, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »

For the few months here I thought that thing was supposed to be an ass. Finding out that it was a fruit was soul altering.

I still prefer to think of it as an ass haha. But that "어peach" not "에이peach" thing, wow... TIL  :shocked:

I'm a Tube guy myself, though. oh that wacky duck!  :laugh:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2145 on: November 21, 2016, 10:19:58 AM »

Wooooo! Although a fish girl movie sounded weird to me too.

FEATURE LENGTH caterpillar movie!! Hahahah

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2146 on: November 21, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »

I love Apeach for the reason that it looks like an ass. Finding out that Muzi is supposed to be a raddish possibly brought to life by Con (some 4th graders tried to explain it to me so the actual story behind it could have got lost in translation) was what surprised me.

It's truueeee ~~~~

https://www.kakaofriends.com/en/character

I had no idea he was actually a radish!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2147 on: November 21, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
For the past month-ish my coT has been giving candy to the kids at our small elem. school. I mean, I've given them candy before too but only for special occasions such as Halloween and Christmas. I'm not sure if she's only giving them candy on the day I'm there or if she's giving them candy every day. From the way the jar (M&Ms) has been depleting, it sure seems like the former... which would be kind of weird? :undecided:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2148 on: November 21, 2016, 11:22:07 AM »

From the Kakao page that Jenni uploaded:
APEACH: A mischievous, silly fruit
APEACH is a genetically modified peach that left the orchard to seek adventure. This playful and wild creature is not afraid to show off its backside, which may remind you of something other than a peach.

:laugh:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2149 on: November 21, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »

It's truueeee ~~~~

I knew for sure he was a raddish but I didn't know con was officially rumored to have brought him to life. Damn. I need to give 4th grade more credit for being able to explain things XD

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2150 on: November 21, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »
I'm wearing a two piece suit, custom made in Sinsa-dong, so I look pretty damn good today. Gotta keep it light though, so I'm wearing a Stones "Exile On Main Street" shirt, too. A student asked me who they were and I said, "The Rolling Stones, they're a rock band."

My Co-Teacher said, "Same as The Beatles" to the kid.

:blank:

NO

Offline gnomon

• Veteran
« Reply #2151 on: November 21, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »

I still prefer to think of it as an ass haha. But that "어peach" not "에이peach" thing, wow... TIL  :shocked:

Same way they would be pronouncing it if they had to "It is a peach." For them, "A" is always 어 and when I say "a" they get confused and think maybe "are" because they can't understand the schwa sound.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2152 on: November 21, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
My teacher office smells like grass clippings. But not the good first lawn mowing kind of way, like the old composty type.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2153 on: November 21, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »

Same way they would be pronouncing it if they had to "It is a peach." For them, "A" is always 어 and when I say "a" they get confused and think maybe "are" because they can't understand the schwa sound.

Yeah I agree with you.  But to me it still makes no sense that Koreans are pronouncing his name as if they would "It is a peach".  It's a name and the "A" is capitalised so I instinctively pronounce it as if I was reading the alphabet.

Do Koreans pronounce "The A-Team" as "The 어-Team"?  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2154 on: November 21, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
I'm wearing a two piece suit, custom made in Sinsa-dong, so I look pretty damn good today. Gotta keep it light though, so I'm wearing a Stones "Exile On Main Street" shirt, too. A student asked me who they were and I said, "The Rolling Stones, they're a rock band."

NO

How much was your suit? I got one made at a place at 역삼역 and it was like 700,000 and they managed to screw up twice while making it.

No idea. My GF's dad payed for it. He's a VP at GS Goldstar, so he had no problem whipping the card out.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2155 on: November 21, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »

It's truueeee ~~~~

Muzi is a radish???? Ryan is a lion???  I thought he was a bear.  Jay-G is a mole? As in the underground animal? What the hell is this? 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2156 on: November 21, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »

It's truueeee ~~~~

Muzi is a radish???? Ryan is a lion???  I thought he was a bear.  Jay-G is a mole? As in the underground animal? What the hell is this?
I have heard that Ryan is a lion, and while it makes sense with the way it sounds, he looks like a straight up bear. The others I knew about from people filling me in.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2157 on: November 21, 2016, 01:41:24 PM »
I was chatting with some of my low-level second graders in the office, and I was happy that they were making such a big effort.

Then, in front of jerk boss...

Student: Teacher you have very beautiful picture!
Me: Picture? Where?
JB: Yeah where's the picture?
Student: (gestures to her back)
Me: What?
Student: The picture on your back!
Me: .... ohhhh.... uh, well first of all it's called a tattoo
Student: Yes! Very beautiful tattoo!
Me: When did you see it????
Student: Summer!
Me: Er ok well... it's a secret. (finger over lips) Ok? Got it? Secret!
JB: Right, they are from your generation
Student: Secret! I already forgot  8)

Jerk Boss just sits there laughing

And just now realizing she said me and my students who are half my age are in my same generation. Maybe technically true, but if she thinks of me as being essentially the same as my students... that explains a bit I guess

but also wtf

The student was cute though

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #2158 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »
In reading some posts today I was reminded of something. I use to love Waygook. I used to love debating (read: arguing) online. And it wasn't all bad as I'm sure my typing speed increased, and, perhaps, my debating skills/forming arguments, etc. improved, too.  I used to be on here a lot.

In February of this year, I came back from my lovely hols backpacking in S.E. Asia. It was the first day of work and I log into waygook. Perhaps the first thing I read is the old rant thread and somebody is describing some K-logic and I make some 'yes, let the hate flow' meme comment. I'm sure there was more substance to the post, and yes, the overused StarWars meme comment isn't that funny at all.

AlivePoet, quoted my post and wrote the most pernickety fastidious correction 'I don't  think blah blah had any hate at all... he was just ... yadda yadda yadda.... '  It was beautiful, really. It was such a pointless correction that typifies so many pointless arguments on here that I and others have had/are having. It was eye opening and it was a blessing. I've been on waygook since but rarely.  And don't get me wrong, if you wanna argue on here, I don't judge. Most have a lot of time to kill... and the ego loves nothing more than winning an argument or smiting a fool. So you carry on being your beautiful selves. There is no judgement here. I just wanted to say, 'This drink's to you, AlivePoet'.

Anyway, that's my non-Friday ramble.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2159 on: November 21, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »

NO

Absolutely.....the stones aint fit to clean the shoes of Ringo, let alone the other Beatles!