September 27, 2017, 03:30:57 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 357739 times)

YoungMin

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2100 on: November 17, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
I saw a guy fighting with a piece of paper this morning. It started off with it getting stuck on the man's foot. He tried to shake it off but it wouldn't budge, so he used his fingers and, to my dismay, violently whipped it back to the ground and started loudly berating it. It was a verbal massacre, went on for a good 20-30 seconds. He finally spit at it and left, and I'm just walking along, questioning the man's decisions, when I finally came upon this hapless piece of paper and realized that it was a used, shitty baby wipe.

We are all victims here in this game of Life.

Hahaha. Poor bloke. Sometimes all it takes is a used shitty baby wipe to see that we are all the same deep down inside.

I found a massive blue bag of used food waste just sitting in the elevator at my apartment last weekend. It ****** stank. I thought, oh someone has brought all their crap down to the recycling area and couldn't get this out in time for the doors closing so I waited next to the elevator and no one came back to claim it. No one outside mucking around. Someone had literally just dumped a giant open bag of food waste in the elevator and thought **** this, let's make someone else clean it up. Top banter to be fair.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2101 on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I put the bag of sweet potatoes that worried-about-my-lunch cot gave me on the shared snack table because I knew I couldn't eat them. They were spirited away and I assumed they were just put in the fridge to eat today.

They have not returned.

I hope, wherever they are, they are happy and appreciated. I'm sorry I rejected you, sweet potatoes. We just weren't meant to be.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2102 on: November 17, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »
I put the bag of sweet potatoes that worried-about-my-lunch cot gave me on the shared snack table because I knew I couldn't eat them. They were spirited away and I assumed they were just put in the fridge to eat today.

They have not returned.

I hope, wherever they are, they are happy and appreciated. I'm sorry I rejected you, sweet potatoes. We just weren't meant to be.
Were they roasted or boiled? I like both but I love the roasted ones.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2103 on: November 17, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »

They have not returned.

I'm not sure tbh. I didn't check. All I knew is no matter what the variety it was way more sweet potatoes than I could be responsible for.

The last bag I was given were roasted, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2104 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »

They have not returned.

I'm not sure tbh. I didn't check. All I knew is no matter what the variety it was way more sweet potatoes than I could be responsible for.

I remember the first time I bought roasted sweet potatoes, I was expecting just one potato and I got a 5lb bag of them. Waaaaay too many.  :huh:

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2105 on: November 17, 2016, 11:25:57 AM »
A teacher at my school gave me and another teacher a bag of sweet potatoes from his garden. Uncooked.  I've been enjoying them for breakfast or dinner. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2106 on: November 17, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »

They have not returned.

I remember the first time I bought roasted sweet potatoes, I was expecting just one potato and I got a 5lb bag of them. Waaaaay too many.  :huh:

I ate like half of the ones I was given on monday and put the rest in my purse to put in the fridge when I got home. Yesterday I was putting something in my purse and realized I had never taken the sweet potatoes out. Yuck.

(they were in a plastic bag though)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2107 on: November 17, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »
A teacher at my school gave me and another teacher a bag of sweet potatoes from his garden. Uncooked.  I've been enjoying them for breakfast or dinner.

I wouldn't mind if I was given uncooked sweet potatoes. Then I could eat them at my leisure. But 6 or 7 cooked sweet potatoes at once is just overwhelming.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2108 on: November 17, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
Anyone know why "Miami" sounds hilarious to students? Does it sound vaguely like "poop bag" or something in Korean?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2109 on: November 17, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »
I had a CoT give me a huge bag of sweet potatoes from her moms garden and that was great. I could cook them as I desired.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2110 on: November 17, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
Anyone know why "Miami" sounds hilarious to students? Does it sound vaguely like "poop bag" or something in Korean?

Not that I know of/can find

I've found that my students think the long i sound is funny for some reason though

When we were doing a chapter on constellations and I was practicing the pronunciation with them they thought "Orion" and "Gemini" were very funny because of the long i sound being used rather than being pronounced as ee

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2111 on: November 17, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Got new seat cushions today. Got some French phrase on them.

Today my coworker told me to hide all my desk papers/books (which are neatly in dividers on my desk) in a cabinet because an inspector is coming tomorrow. Lol

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2112 on: November 17, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »

They are probably laughing because it sounds like "my 애미" which sounds like "my mom" except that "애미" is sometimes used in a way to mock someone's mother.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2113 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »
I've been trying to find rubber cement here and have looked in several stationary/art supplies stores and markets, but no luck. Showing pictures doesn't help, lol, all they see is a jar of what could be any adhesive.

Does anyone know what they call it in Korean? I know they sell it somewhere because according to this wiki article the stuff is commonly used in the process of making archery bows here.

The rubber cement listed in English on gmarket is way overpriced and I refuse to pay that much for something I can probably get for 1-3K won locally.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2114 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
Got new seat cushions today. Got some French phrase on them.

Today my coworker told me to hide all my desk papers/books (which are neatly in dividers on my desk) in a cabinet because an inspector is coming tomorrow. Lol

Post it and I'll translate it.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2115 on: November 17, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »
I've been trying to find rubber cement here and have looked in several stationary/art supplies stores and markets, but no luck. Showing pictures doesn't help, lol, all they see is a jar of what could be any adhesive.

Does anyone know what they call it in Korean? I know they sell it somewhere because according to this wiki article the stuff is commonly used in the process of making archery bows here.

The rubber cement listed in English on gmarket is way overpriced and I refuse to pay that much for something I can probably get for 1-3K won locally.

Look in surf shops or on surf equipment retailers on gmarket etc. I use rubber cenment to fix my wetsuits. Picked up a tube (good quality stuff) in Busan for 6 bucks as i recall.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2116 on: November 17, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »

Chinguetti, search for 고무풀 and the brand is 돼지표본드 on Gmarket. 900 won plus 2500 shipping for a tube. That should be what you're looking for. If not, if you're ever in Seoul or another city where there's a nerd shop for Gundams and models and stuff, they'll sell it there, too. But yeah. Rubber cement is 고무풀. Also, it's apparently a 19 + item on Gmarket, so you'll have to be signed in to see it. Hope that helps.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2117 on: November 17, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
Thank you, both, this has been driving me up the wall.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2118 on: November 17, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
Thank you, both, this has been driving me up the wall.

Also, if you search 프라모델 풀 there's a slightly more expensive UHU brand one that might be better quality. That Pig Bond life probably isn't top shelf.

What do you need it for, anyways?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2119 on: November 17, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
Piggybacking on to the glue thing, I'm looking for industrial strength glue dissolvant, any ideas?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment