September 25, 2017, 08:09:10 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356131 times)

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
Guys, there are just too many hotels in Vietnam.

I'm curious and I'll bite. Tell me more.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
CT told me earlier this week that my speaking test was too easy. Her homeroom students took it this morning and the majority of them completely shit the bed.

Guess who just said that a student complained about his grade and asked me if he could re-take the test? Then she said 2 students might.

Now i am anticipating 5-10 of them to walk in and ask to take it again and i can tell them tough shit.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
@greenmind: I just finished reading the Brothers Grimm fairy tales at my desk, and in the original Cinderella story, the prince had the stairs covered with pitch (that sticky stuff that comes from trees), so her shoe stuck on that and came off.

The newer Cinderella just omitted that entirely, apparently.

However, there are other problems - What, the prince doesn't know what she looks like? No one else has Cinderella's same shoe size?

In the end, it's just a fairy tale I guess.

At least it didn't end with "and then everyone was dead" ("The Death of the Little Hen").

Offline Nick P

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
Guys, there are just too many hotels in Vietnam.

I'm curious and I'll bite. Tell me more.

As in it is difficult to make a decision cause the choices be run'n wild.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:26 PM »
I have a pointless Afterschool Class in 2.5 hours.  Elementary 3rd & 4th graders.  They just want to chase each other around the room.  It's a battle to get them to sit down.  It's very muggy today and hot in this room.  Of course, no AC. 

Other than that, very happy it's Friday.  TGIF!

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
I just showed my kids one of the book's videos about time and Cinderella. And now it's just really bothering me! How did Cinderella just "accidentally" lose her slipper? The whole point was that the shoe was a perfect fit right? Well if it was a perfect fit then it wouldn't have slipped off as she was running away! Only a loose shoe would fall off as you were running! It's just really bothering me and I'm wondering why I never questioned this logic before.....

tl;dr Cinderella was actually quite cunning

You make a good point, maybe it popped off because her feet were swollen from all the dancing. I don't know but we could speculate. I'm sure someone has written a fanfiction about it. I mean there even Elsa/Anna incest slash so anything is possible.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 04:03:11 PM »
My Fridays are the slowest most inactive days of the week, not "BECAUSE TGIF," but because I only have 2 classes on these days. No idea why it's like this. As a result I sit here and catch up with the family and friends back home.

As I read this I am listening to the admin teacher beat something in the hall way. Over and over and over with a shoe. It doesn't stop... Really it doesn't, its been 5 minutes and okay it just stopped. I wonder if it's dead? I think it's dead. From the sound of things I'd say they're dead. All that noise was enough to kill a veritable army of whatsoevers and whatchumacallits.

Also music class, it's deeply profound. It's like a cacophony of death knells a choir of instrumental voices crying out in the exact opposite of unity. Kind of like two Koreas pulling a rope across a border in different directions only with more shouting and far more casualties.

I saw two kids stab each other with pencils today. The kind of stabbing where you really mean it, but you're instantly sorry after it's happened.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »
On this Friday I've been thinking a lot about my friends back home and, like Orangeman, I really just wonder what's up with their weird lives. Some friends I hadn't spoken to for years before I moved to Korea and honestly, it seems like they haven't aged or changed a wink since highschool. They are all still sitting in their respective mothers' basements, smoking bongs and playing video games. No major developments of thought or progress in life. I don't care what they DO, but they all still listen to the same bands, and think the exact same way as in highschool. It just really chaps my ass, since they are all smart guys who just got too caught up in a scene (the weed scene). I wonder what it will be like when I get home...
I also miss my pet chinchilla too much. I hardly miss my friends and family (very random things will get to me, like a song or even smell). But when I think of my pet chinchilla and my stupid little boston terrier/pug mix, I get instantly teary eyed. Is this the case for anyone else, or have I finally lost it?
Also, Sixto Rodriguez IS the perfect music for today.

Same same, bro.

I have 3 friends, back home, who're like brothers. Just before graduating and leaving for Korea, we'd always hang out and bond really well (they're clever chaps). From high school, till the end of undergrad, we spoke about how we were going to travel Asia (the ESL route) and whatnot. Seems like I was the only one who went through with it. After a few years, in Korea, I visited home and paid them a visit. They were still the same, 2 were still living at their parents, still telling me about their big plans to travel to Asia, still bitching about how awesome it would be to travel to Japan, things must be so cool there (they're nearly 30 and never travelled abroad). I told them, since they both had jobs, no dependents and no rent why don't you finally put your money where your mouth is and meet me, in Japan, like we've been talking about for years? I've been there 3 times already and every time I invited you guys, over Skype, you bailed out.

"Sure, sure just tell us when". Nothing materialises, one is now unemployed and I tell him, it's easy as sh*t to get an ESL job over here, you'll make money get travel experience and have a great time. Nope, he's dead set on teaching in Japan (applied for JET, every year, and failed 4 times now).

While I was on holiday, we had a great time... on the 2 occasions I saw them. Every other time they lost my number, their phones were off, didn't have airtime and didn't invite me since they thought I was busy and wanted privacy, with my wife... It was incredibly infuriating, I spent a good chunk of change to visit home pretty much just to hang out with my friends again, only to have them act like the same irresponsible teenagers they were.

Normally, I'd just cut them off, but these are lifelong friends and I'd never cut them off. It's just really frustrating waiting for these 'kids' to grow up, be adults, and take charge of life.

Sorry for the long rant
Happy Friday

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
At lunch today:

"Oh, I forgot to tell you.  You know the three classes you have after lunch?"
"Yes."
"Well, it changed to the same class for 3 periods instead"
"So instead of having 3 classes where I teach the same thing, I know have 3 periods with the same class?"
"Yes."
"Starting after lunch.  In 30 minutes"
"Yes.  Oh, and you should add 20 minutes to make up for a period you lost because of MERS a few weeks ago."

Oh Korea.  When I'm gone I'll think of you every time I see something that is planned in advance and makes logical sense. 

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »
On this Friday I've been thinking a lot about my friends back home and, like Orangeman, I really just wonder what's up with their weird lives. Some friends I hadn't spoken to for years before I moved to Korea and honestly, it seems like they haven't aged or changed a wink since highschool. They are all still sitting in their respective mothers' basements, smoking bongs and playing video games. No major developments of thought or progress in life. I don't care what they DO, but they all still listen to the same bands, and think the exact same way as in highschool. It just really chaps my ass, since they are all smart guys who just got too caught up in a scene (the weed scene). I wonder what it will be like when I get home...
I also miss my pet chinchilla too much. I hardly miss my friends and family (very random things will get to me, like a song or even smell). But when I think of my pet chinchilla and my stupid little boston terrier/pug mix, I get instantly teary eyed. Is this the case for anyone else, or have I finally lost it?
Also, Sixto Rodriguez IS the perfect music for today.

Same same, bro.

I have 3 friends, back home, who're like brothers. Just before graduating and leaving for Korea, we'd always hang out and bond really well (they're clever chaps). From high school, till the end of undergrad, we spoke about how we were going to travel Asia (the ESL route) and whatnot. Seems like I was the only one who went through with it. After a few years, in Korea, I visited home and paid them a visit. They were still the same, 2 were still living at their parents, still telling me about their big plans to travel to Asia, still bitching about how awesome it would be to travel to Japan, things must be so cool there (they're nearly 30 and never travelled abroad). I told them, since they both had jobs, no dependents and no rent why don't you finally put your money where your mouth is and meet me, in Japan, like we've been talking about for years? I've been there 3 times already and every time I invited you guys, over Skype, you bailed out.

"Sure, sure just tell us when". Nothing materialises, one is now unemployed and I tell him, it's easy as sh*t to get an ESL job over here, you'll make money get travel experience and have a great time. Nope, he's dead set on teaching in Japan (applied for JET, every year, and failed 4 times now).

While I was on holiday, we had a great time... on the 2 occasions I saw them. Every other time they lost my number, their phones were off, didn't have airtime and didn't invite me since they thought I was busy and wanted privacy, with my wife... It was incredibly infuriating, I spent a good chunk of change to visit home pretty much just to hang out with my friends again, only to have them act like the same irresponsible teenagers they were.

Normally, I'd just cut them off, but these are lifelong friends and I'd never cut them off. It's just really frustrating waiting for these 'kids' to grow up, be adults, and take charge of life.

Sorry for the long rant
Happy Friday

I have three girlfriends who were my best friends growing up and with whom I'm still close.

One barely scraped by in university for a number of reasons and probably would never have finished if not for her sheer, bloody-minded refusal to end up like everyone else in our crappy little OxycontinVille hometown and is just now, at the age of 30, starting an actual career (not tha tthats' so late).

One did an average job in high school and basically replaced her bodily fluids with booze in uni in order to kill the pain of a fundamentalist upbringing, but she now has a great job and an awesome husband.

One, who was valedictorian of her high school and university graduating classes...is a righteous mommy blogger and married to The Most Boring Man Alive, who constantly updates his facebook with pictures of street signs in poor condition with grumpy admonitions to the Department of Public Works.

Of course, they probably talk about what a weirdo I am for living in shoebox apartment abroad and not using my graduate degree for anything, but that's okay.

Offline MartinBrez

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
Same same, bro.

Sorry for the long rant
Happy Friday

One of my best friends is like that. He would only do something if I did it first. I was fed up in my dead end job and decided to come here. He would whinge about his job and I convinced him to do the same.

In fairness to him, he has been out to Korea to see me twice.

Out of my circle of friends, it's usually me who suggests a trip somewhere and then organise. Me to collect money from them to book flights, hostels, etc. There is a thing called "The Internet".

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »
I have a pointless Afterschool Class in 2.5 hours.  Elementary 3rd & 4th graders.  They just want to chase each other around the room.  It's a battle to get them to sit down. It's very muggy today and hot in this room.  Of course, no AC. 

That pretty much sums up every single 3&4 afterschool class i've ever taught

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 04:49:23 PM »
I have a pointless Afterschool Class in 2.5 hours.  Elementary 3rd & 4th graders.  They just want to chase each other around the room.  It's a battle to get them to sit down. It's very muggy today and hot in this room.  Of course, no AC. 

That pretty much sums up every single 3&4 class i've ever taught

Offline jamienottingham

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
I complained earlier in the semester that a score from 0-5 isn't enough to fairly grade the students.

Now we have a 0-10 point system, but I can only give even numbered grades, which is *much* better

:rolleyes:

Offline hackedtravel

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
Today was my last day of actual classes at my second (demon) high school. 3/5 classes are canceled because of the student president election. I don't know if I should be happy or sad that I won't teach the kids again.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »

That pretty much sums up every single 3&4 class i've ever taught

Haha i did actual originally write that myself but 4th graders can be okay sometimes so I thought I would minimize the impact

Children, filthy, nasty things, glad i never was one  :undecided:

YoungMin

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Bought a hot crispy chicken burger from Lotteria (arguably the only good burger on the whole menu). Got home and took a bite, it's been a while since I've had one so I don't know how long this has been going on. But the burger itself still had the skin on under the batter. It was vile so I chucked it in the bin. I'm stood here now staring into a fridge full of pizza pickles that I don't eat and a 2 cartons of expired milk. Guess it serves me right for getting an early finish from work.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »
Bought a hot crispy chicken burger from Lotteria (arguably the only good burger on the whole menu). Got home and took a bite, it's been a while since I've had one so I don't know how long this has been going on. But the burger itself still had the skin on under the batter. It was vile so I chucked it in the bin. I'm stood here now staring into a fridge full of pizza pickles that I don't eat and a 2 cartons of expired milk. Guess it serves me right for getting an early finish from work.

Totally agree. Sorry you had a bad experience with it.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Lotteria is evil.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »
I complained earlier in the semester that a score from 0-5 isn't enough to fairly grade the students.

Now we have a 0-10 point system, but I can only give even numbered grades, which is *much* better

:rolleyes:
You should give everyone a 4 and say sorry as if it's the last time you'll see them.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment