November 24, 2017, 03:30:34 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 407650 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1980 on: November 11, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »
If I ever get assigned to a small rural school where I'm teaching something, like, 8 kids total, I'll probably give them little robots that I've made out of pepero for Pepero Day.

Only I'll make them out of Pocky because I like those better. The kids will never know.

Offline Lowfoam

• Adventurer
« Reply #1981 on: November 11, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »
how dare u

those almond peppero were sent by the gods

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1982 on: November 11, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
Soju v. Arak?
The pear arak from Neurin Maeul is one of the best spirits in the country.

Where can I get this life? Where can I get decent Koko liquor? I stopped trying any Korean liquors because every one I tried tasted like flavoured soju with a traditional name label applied. Like, the common 매실주 and 백세주 are vile. Same with 복분자.

What even is arak?

It's a traditional Levantine distilled spirit brought to Korea by the Mongolians in the.....1200s? This then became soju. So arak is like soju but using original methods.

I love baekseju! hahaha Maesil is ok. Bokbunja gets fed to my GF. hahaha

Pear arak can be bought at any Neurin Maeul location (Euljiro Ipgu, Yangjae and Gangnam)

Offline colouringin

• Waygookin
« Reply #1983 on: November 11, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »
I was walking around the classroom today when I noticed some clothing material under a students chair.  I quietly tapped his shoulder and pointed at it, he gave me a look of confusion and reached for the material......  horror...  we both realised it was pants(panties for Americans)  :laugh: A look of recognition came over his face as he shoved the soiled pants in his pocket :-[ . He seemed very confused  :undecided: and proceeded to discretely check if he had any underwear on!!  As is perhaps they had jumped off him onto the floor - I suppose strange things are happening in the world these days. Unfortunately a few kids around him noticed what had happened, even worse a student near him (I'm pretty sure it wasn't him) had done a stinking fart as this was all happening. What a Friday.

I still don't get how the pants suddenly appeared on the floor in the English class????!! :undecided: :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1984 on: November 11, 2016, 01:28:55 PM »
Spotted some dairy milk chocolate bars in the local mini stop yday. I nearly shit my pants with excitement. Leaned in to grab a handful... ALMOND. Ffs man. Is there some law that chocolate must have nuts in here? Why not just get the plain Dairy milk bars in like a civilized society?I'd buy the whole box if they did that so not like they wouldn't sell. What's the reason for the ****** almonds?

It is like the pasta sauces.  Good, ok.  I am a vegetarian so I check everything carefully before I buy.  I check down the ingredients on the Korean-made sauces.  Tomatoes, onions, good good, and then I get to the bottom of a tomato sauce and it finishes off with squid, chicken and beef included.  :cry:  Can Koreans really not eat a fu*king thing without packing it with meat? 

I went to milk and honey in Yongsan E-mart and looked at the 'vegetable' croquettes.  The ingredients, as stated:  onions, potato, flour, egg and carrots.  Wow!!!  ;D  Go to the checkout and ask the cashier if it has meat in it.  Yep, 'Ham'  :cry:  Fu*king bellends!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1985 on: November 11, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »
Got back to the office after lunch break to find it completely deserted. All right then. Guess there was some special event I was unaware of. Get started on some work.

Someone knocks at the door. A woman enters and starts speaking rapidly in Korean. I eventually manage to catch that she's looking for someone. I don't know where anyone is so I reply in Korean, "I don't know." She seems to think I don't know who she's talking about. I try to indicate that I know who she's talking about, but I don't know where that teacher is. Woman gives up and gestures that she'll make a call.

The phone then starts ringing. Lol not gonna answer that.

Of all the timing, it has to be when the foreigner who doesn't know Korean is the only one in the office, hahah.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1986 on: November 11, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »
I was walking around the classroom today when I noticed some clothing material under a students chair.  I quietly tapped his shoulder and pointed at it, he gave me a look of confusion and reached for the material......  horror...  we both realised it was pants(panties for Americans)  :laugh: A look of recognition came over his face as he shoved the soiled pants in his pocket :-[ . He seemed very confused  :undecided: and proceeded to discretely check if he had any underwear on!!  As is perhaps they had jumped off him onto the floor - I suppose strange things are happening in the world these days. Unfortunately a few kids around him noticed what had happened, even worse a student near him (I'm pretty sure it wasn't him) had done a stinking fart as this was all happening. What a Friday.

I still don't get how the pants suddenly appeared on the floor in the English class????!! :undecided: :laugh:

I threw my pants on one day and left the house. Walked to E-mart. The hell? There's something coming out of the bottom of my right pant leg......... MY UNDIES.

I had stripped off everything the night before and not thought about it. When I changed my undies the next day, the old ones were still in my pant leg. I didn't even feel them in my pant leg for 15 minutes. I had to grab them quick and shove them in my pocket.

Gross. hahahaha

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1987 on: November 11, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »
If I type this forum post it looks like I'm messaging the teachers about Friday afternoon teachers' English class when I'm doing my best to avoid it. It's cold, I'm tired, and the 3 students often make excuses about not being able to come (I get it, it's Friday.) I'd love to call it and just declare time of death but... face?

Ramble ramble ramble.

Hotdogs and unlimited beer later.

I have a kid who won't stop drawing me pictures of video game characters killing each other.

I saw a couple of apartments for W10,000,000 deposit, no rent and I really want it to be for real and not a scam. I think it's deep in hooker territory but NO RENT. This would be so good for me. I'm pretty sure my current building, while lovely, has some sort of 'management fee' racket going on. It was nearly W80,000 this month. I live on the 14th of 15 floors and there's about 240 units in my building plus 6 floors of businesses. I reckon they're pulling in around W20 million a month just from the apartments and I can't see how they're spending it.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1988 on: November 11, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
Ffffuuuu. I gotta get on that life. I'd love to learn more about decent booze. I've had homemade maesil and it was bangin'. I also heard that in a few of the big Shinsegaes they have a frou frou fancy section for traditional booze designed to attract the babies.

The basements of Lotte Dept stores usually have a wine store. They carry some good soju and some good makgeollis, usually. I find that E-marts have a good selection of booze, too. Hwayo soju, Moonbae soju,  Neurin Maeul Makgeolli, Yetnal Makgeolli (sour and thick, not everyone's favourite, I imagine, but I like it)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #1989 on: November 11, 2016, 02:09:26 PM »
If I type this forum post it looks like I'm messaging the teachers about Friday afternoon teachers' English class when I'm doing my best to avoid it. It's cold, I'm tired, and the 3 students often make excuses about not being able to come (I get it, it's Friday.) I'd love to call it and just declare time of death but... face?

I feel your pain, my teachers' Englishee convo class was on Friday seventh period for awhile before it got bumped to a more reasonable slot. Of course still only about 10% show up, and if they do come they're 20 mins late. Fine, I get it. You want to tell people that you're studying English, but you don't wanna actually study. I won't ruin the charade.

But the handler always with the: "DMZ teacher, did you remind the other teachers about your class today? You should go get them in the teachers' office at class time!"  :shocked:

Me: "They're adults, they know the time. If they don't wanna come I'm not gonna force anyone."

"You should send another Cool Messenger reminder..."

Just LET. IT. DIE.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1990 on: November 11, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »

I feel your pain, my teachers' Englishee convo class was on Friday seventh period for awhile before it got bumped to a more reasonable slot. Of course still only about 10% show up, and if they do come they're 20 mins late. Fine, I get it. You want to tell people that you're studying English, but you don't wanna actually study. I won't ruin the charade.

But the handler always with the: "DMZ teacher, did you remind the other teachers about your class today? You should go get them in the teachers' office at class time!"  :shocked:

Me: "They're adults, they know the time. If they don't wanna come I'm not gonna force anyone."

"You should send another Cool Messenger reminder..."

Just LET. IT. DIE.

It's not just me, then. That's quite reassuring, actually.

It's about 15 mins after class start time. I'm calling it.

The weekend starts now  8)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1991 on: November 11, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »
Ffffuuuu. I gotta get on that life. I'd love to learn more about decent booze. I've had homemade maesil and it was bangin'. I also heard that in a few of the big Shinsegaes they have a frou frou fancy section for traditional booze designed to attract the babies.

The basements of Lotte Dept stores usually have a wine store. They carry some good soju and some good makgeollis, usually. I find that E-marts have a good selection of booze, too. Hwayo soju, Moonbae soju,  Neurin Maeul Makgeolli, Yetnal Makgeolli (sour and thick, not everyone's favourite, I imagine, but I like it)

Damn. For a dude who was making mack five years ago, I sure do still drink some pleb booze. I'd love to find a good, thick, sour mack from a store. They're all so heavily sweetened, even the 'traditional' ones I try. How's Hwayo? I always assumed it was just like the Smirnoff of soju - overpriced and well-marketed.

Hwayo 25 is seriously good. Straight. No mix.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1992 on: November 11, 2016, 02:54:41 PM »
...he gave me a look of confusion and reached for the material......  horror...  we both realised it was pants(panties for Americans
Your male student was wearing (or rather, not wearing) panties?  :huh:

Online bigfishlittlefish

• Adventurer
« Reply #1993 on: November 11, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
Oh Sugar

You are so wonderful, I love everything about you.

I often watch you in the jar and think how beautiful you are, I add you to my coffee for the taste I love so much.  When you hit the tip of my tongue my life lights up with joy.  Then you give me that little wake up kick I have been longing, never let me down.

You are the wind to my mill, the rain to my bow.

Don't listen to the bad things the man says about you.

Sugar.

I love you

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1994 on: November 11, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »
Oh Sugar

You are so wonderful, I love everything about you.

I often watch you in the jar and think how beautiful you are, I add you to my coffee for the taste I love so much.  When you hit the tip of my tongue my life lights up with joy.  Then you give me that little wake up kick I have been longing, never let me down.

You are the wind to my mill, the rain to my bow.

Don't listen to the bad things the man says about you.

Sugar.

I love you

This is a fantastic first post. Respect

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1995 on: November 11, 2016, 10:35:28 PM »
@Imogen, any progress with getting your housing deposit back??

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1996 on: November 12, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
@Imogen, any progress with getting your housing deposit back??

Thanks for remembering yirj!

Nope. They tried to say my bank account was closed so they can't send it (blatant lies)
Now they're saying I didn't pay tax at my old school, which i know isn't true because my pay checks were always the same. This is all being said through the office of ed co-ordinator since my co teacher has blocked me on kakao and refuses to respond to emails/phone calls/texts. So currently I'm trying to get evidence from my old co teacher that I did pay tax, I don't have payslips because both of my schools refused to give them to me when I was working for them. It's coming up to 3 months since I left now. I've pretty much given up hope :cry: Proof that public schools can be just as shady as hagwon !

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1997 on: November 12, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
If you were in public school, all your payslips are accessible via your NEIS account. Your tax deductions and payments should be accessible via the national tax office site (sorry, I don't have a link for that, at the moment).
Go to the site, print out the records and voila! Proof!

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1998 on: November 12, 2016, 11:01:18 PM »
If you were in public school, all your payslips are accessible via your NEIS account. Your tax deductions and payments should be accessible via the national tax office site (sorry, I don't have a link for that, at the moment).
Go to the site, print out the records and voila! Proof!

thanks kyndo! i've tried the NEIS thing unfortunately and my payslips were never uploaded  :cry: I tried when i was actually working there too, they were just never there. other JLP'ers have reported the same problem

I haven't tried to check taxes via the national tax office though! that will be my next port of call, thank you!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1999 on: November 13, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
@Kyndo I wish it were that easy to get payslips via NEIS. For some reason it seems for a minority (?) of us that the info just never gets plugged into the system at all.  :sad: Idk if it has something to do with being RLP vs JLP or what.

@Imogen -- yeeesh!! What a horrid drawn out saga of horsepuckey!! As frustrating and ridiculous as I can only assume that must be, I hope you keep fighting for it. They should not be allowed to get away with it.

Do you happen to have a bankbook that has records of what your school deposited into your account? That corresponding with what your gross pay and deductions were should help show that taxes were indeed being taken out.

Also... i imagine the school ought to have records of your pay and deductions SOMEwhere. Not sure why the ed coordinator can't demand those records?  :undecided: