September 21, 2017, 09:37:30 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353174 times)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1980 on: November 10, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »
You know public schools apparently don't give letters of release if you quit before finishing the contract?

Is that out of spite or is it the law? 

Always wondered about that seeing as it comes up so much here.  If you had a good realationship with your school then why would they sabotage your chances of getting a new job?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1981 on: November 10, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
bleh. I have no motivation to do anything right now. I still have to make worksheets for next week and plan for the third-graders' post-finals classes

gahhhhhh

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1982 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »
You know public schools apparently don't give letters of release if you quit before finishing the contract?

Always wondered about that seeing as it comes up so much here.  If you had a good realationship with your school then why would they sabotage your chances of getting a new job?

It seems that some provincial education offices do give them, for certain extreme circumstances, so I don't think it is the law.  Seems just to cover their backs due to the sheer volume of teachers that are government-hired.  They put a lot of money into you so don't want you to jump ship in the middle of a contract.  I had been in my city's public school system for 8 years and 8 months when I moved this year due to all middle school jobs being cut in the province this year.  I am well thought of, mind.  I moved to a high school as the job is good for a few years.  But the provincial office of education wouldn't give me a LoR, but luckily I got my F6 visa through three weeks before I moved, so in the end I didn't need it.  Strange rule, but I think I understand it in some circumstances.  Not mine though  :wink:

School hires could be a bit different because they get their money from city hall, and aren't EPIK but still use the same contracts. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1983 on: November 10, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
Some random bboy group from Seoul is performing for the students today. Saw some of the female dancers, greeted them. They all smiled and politely said hello back. Saw one of the dudes but he seemed too snooty to respond. Hope his dancing is better than his manners.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1984 on: November 10, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »

It seems that some provincial education offices do give them, for certain extreme circumstances, so I don't think it is the law.  Seems just to cover their backs due to the sheer volume of teachers that are government-hired.  They put a lot of money into you so don't want you to jump ship in the middle of a contract.  I had been in my city's public school system for 8 years and 8 months when I moved this year due to all middle school jobs being cut in the province this year.  I am well thought of, mind.  I moved to a high school as the job is good for a few years.  But the provincial office of education wouldn't give me a LoR, but luckily I got my F6 visa through three weeks before I moved, so in the end I didn't need it.  Strange rule, but I think I understand it in some circumstances.  Not mine though  :wink:

School hires could be a bit different because they get their money from city hall, and aren't EPIK but still use the same contracts.

Cool, thanks for the reply.  Sounds like you got quite lucky!

It still seems a bit like a scorned lover.  If we can't have you then no one can  :-[

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1985 on: November 10, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »
Didn't know where the performance was being put on but felt I'd rather get some work done anyway so I didn't ask. Later my coT messages me that it's in the gym and has begun. Going outside in the cold rainy weather to get there and entering a performance late didn't seem appealing at all so I didn't go. I then get told by multiple teachers that there's a "concert" and I should go. Apparently I should go have fun instead of working. Lol. To add icing to the cake, the principal then entered the office and asked why I wasn't at the concert.

But... hardly any of the other teachers are there either... ? Just leave me be  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1986 on: November 11, 2016, 09:04:52 AM »
Is there a more shameful marketing sham day as pepero day?  The Lotte employee who came up with it must be laughing. 

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #1987 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
Is there a more shameful marketing sham day as pepero day?  The Lotte employee who came up with it must be laughing.

In Japan they have Pocky day. I wonder who came up with the idea first?

In China, I think today is singles' day. I like that better.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1988 on: November 11, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
Free poison day! :D

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1989 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
I bet I get nothing today  :sad:

Stuck at my desk eating a banana like some kind of chump.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1990 on: November 11, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »

In Japan they have Pocky day. I wonder who came up with the idea first?

In China, I think today is singles' day. I like that better.
Korea has a singles day too, its just April 14. Black Day, haha.

@The Arm I have never gotten pepero before. This is my year though I think. I had some students come up and ask me what my favorite flavor of it is. Fingers crossed.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1991 on: November 11, 2016, 10:18:49 AM »

Stuck at my desk eating a banana like some kind of chimp.

One vowel wrong there Arm, fixed it for you.  ;D

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1992 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1993 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:52 AM »

Stuck at my desk eating a banana like some kind of CHAMP

You're wrong too.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1994 on: November 11, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Which came first, the pocky or the pepero?

I had a Korean guy call pepero "the original pocky" to me several times. :rolleyes:

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1995 on: November 11, 2016, 10:46:12 AM »
I have 3 after school classes. Daycare, 1st and 2nd, and 3rd-6th. My 1st and 2nd grade one is small--wait, no, it WAS small. They keep joining it  :cry:

My coT said it's because they love me and idk why. Haha they're always so excited to come to after school and always giving me hugs and presents (ranging from cute [hearts and candy] to kind of gross [half dead bug on a leaf]).

Anyways, they're really cute and I'm not sure why I'm complaining except that keeping a small group in control by myself is easy--a larger group not so much.

But yay friday! Yay great weather! Going drinking with friends allllll weekend so I'll probably be here somewhere on Monday moaning about how I feel like shit  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1996 on: November 11, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »

Sorry, too much Karl Pilkington in the evenings.  Do you have anything about hairy Chinese kids?

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1997 on: November 11, 2016, 11:09:19 AM »

Sorry, too much Karl Pilkington in the evenings.  Do you have anything about hairy Chinese kids?

XFM Season 1 is my current lunchtimes soundtrack :wink:

YoungMin

« Reply #1998 on: November 11, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
Spotted some dairy milk chocolate bars in the local mini stop yday. I nearly shit my pants with excitement. Leaned in to grab a handful... ALMOND. Ffs man. Is there some law that chocolate must have nuts in here? Why not just get the plain Dairy milk bars in like a civilized society?I'd buy the whole box if they did that so not like they wouldn't sell. What's the reason for the ****** almonds?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1999 on: November 11, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »
Which came first, the pocky or the pepero?

I had a Korean guy call pepero "the original pocky" to me several times. :rolleyes:

Pocky did. Pepero was invented in 1983 while Pocky has existed since 1966. There's actually a really heated argument going on between the two companies -- Glico (maker of Pocky) has accused Lotte of copying them and Lotte is denying that they have based on the claim that Pocky wasn't being sold in S. Korea at the time (so there's NO WAY they could have seen it to copy it, is their argument xD).

Glico is also currently suing Lotte for copying one of their box designs in the U.S.

But S. Korea invented Pepero Day. xD

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment