January 22, 2018, 03:55:22 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 468614 times)

YoungMin

Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1960 on: November 11, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
Spotted some dairy milk chocolate bars in the local mini stop yday. I nearly shit my pants with excitement. Leaned in to grab a handful... ALMOND. Ffs man. Is there some law that chocolate must have nuts in here? Why not just get the plain Dairy milk bars in like a civilized society?I'd buy the whole box if they did that so not like they wouldn't sell. What's the reason for the ****** almonds?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1961 on: November 11, 2016, 09:18:01 AM »
Which came first, the pocky or the pepero?

I had a Korean guy call pepero "the original pocky" to me several times. :rolleyes:

Pocky did. Pepero was invented in 1983 while Pocky has existed since 1966. There's actually a really heated argument going on between the two companies -- Glico (maker of Pocky) has accused Lotte of copying them and Lotte is denying that they have based on the claim that Pocky wasn't being sold in S. Korea at the time (so there's NO WAY they could have seen it to copy it, is their argument xD).

Glico is also currently suing Lotte for copying one of their box designs in the U.S.

But S. Korea invented Pepero Day. xD

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1962 on: November 11, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
Anyone else have kids who will give the other team(s) answers when playing games? Or are my (middle school) kids just not that competitive. They're still having fun but I guess they're just inclined to be helpful.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1963 on: November 11, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »

I had a Korean guy call pepero "the original pocky" to me several times. :rolleyes:

Pocky did. Pepero was invented in 1983 while Pocky has existed since 1966. There's actually a really heated argument going on between the two companies -- Glico (maker of Pocky) has accused Lotte of copying them and Lotte is denying that they have based on the claim that Pocky wasn't being sold in S. Korea at the time (so there's NO WAY they could have seen it to copy it, is their argument xD).

Glico is also currently suing Lotte for copying one of their box designs in the U.S.

Haha, oh boy. That's bonkers. It's also funny because as I'm sitting here, I'm sitting next to boxes of fancy wrapped boxes of pocky, not pepero.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1964 on: November 11, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
I have 0 classes today so I'm just doing boring productive things, like planning the Golden Bell questions which I have to redo since we were just told we can only have things that we covered in the book. One of my questions for the younger grades was "How many letters are in the alphabet?" but since it's not in the book it has to go.

Since I have no classes I doubt I'll get any Pocky, but I keep hoping maybe a student will come give me some. :P

It's also freezing in the office so I've opened the window to let some of the warmer outdoor air in. I'm looking for a USB electric blanket on gmarket and my coteacher says I have to hide it if the principal comes in, because he think they're going to burst into flame.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1965 on: November 11, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »
Anyone else have kids who will give the other team(s) answers when playing games? Or are my (middle school) kids just not that competitive. They're still having fun but I guess they're just inclined to be helpful.

Haha yeah same with my classes  :laugh:  It's a little bit annoying but just so sweet at the same time!

Online waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
« Reply #1966 on: November 11, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »
I'm going to watch Dr. Strange in 4D after work today. I hope motion sickness doesn't ruin the movie for me.

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1967 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »

Haha, oh boy. That's bonkers. It's also funny because as I'm sitting here, I'm sitting next to boxes of fancy wrapped boxes of pocky, not pepero.

I got given a pepero from one of the students, but most of the kids and exchanging pocky haha.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1968 on: November 11, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »
I was thinking of making masks for winter camp with the kids-- only to find out the art teacher already did a project on masks. Premade masquerade style ones that just need painting, though.

I'm hoping papier mache masks will be different enough. Hmmm  :lipsrsealed:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1969 on: November 11, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »

Choco pies v. Wagon Wheels next.

Soju v. Arak?

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1970 on: November 11, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
So what exactly is the deal with pepero day? I got told it is the Korean version of valentines day from my coT, but I've only seen the boys exchanging pocky with one another, and I'm at a mixed school.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1971 on: November 11, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »

Down with the establishment!

Choco pies v. Wagon Wheels Moon pies next.

Soju v. Arak?

FTFY

I haven't had a moon pie or wagon wheel in years. I wish I could easily and affordably get some to use here as part of a special "taste and compare" class.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #1972 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
Soju v. Arak?
The pear arak from Neurin Maeul is one of the best spirits in the country.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1973 on: November 11, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Nearly suffocating myself today trying to keep my laughter "silent" because I'm reading dog tweets while my coTs are actually trying to work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:08:30 PM by Chinguetti »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1974 on: November 11, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
Blind of the week.  Observed in a test lab at a factory in Gimpo.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1975 on: November 11, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
Blind of the week.  Observed in a test lab at a factory in Gimpo.

Creative Korea!

YoungMin

« Reply #1976 on: November 11, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
So what exactly is the deal with pepero day? I got told it is the Korean version of valentines day from my coT, but I've only seen the boys exchanging pocky with one another, and I'm at a mixed school.

Marketing day to make money for companies that produce goods shaped like the number 11.11

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1977 on: November 11, 2016, 11:01:02 AM »
Spotted some dairy milk chocolate bars in the local mini stop yday. I nearly shit my pants with excitement. Leaned in to grab a handful... ALMOND. Ffs man. Is there some law that chocolate must have nuts in here? Why not just get the plain Dairy milk bars in like a civilized society?I'd buy the whole box if they did that so not like they wouldn't sell. What's the reason for the ****** almonds?

I am judging you for hating almonds in chocolate (although, to be fair, I feel the same about hazelnuts), but I've seen sinfully large Cadbury dairy milk bars in Home Plus. What a day that was.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1978 on: November 11, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »

Well the story goes that some female students agreed to exchange peperos on 11/11 so that they could all be "tall" and skinny like peperos (11/11 was chosen because the "1"s are supposed to be peperos). Other students caught wind of it and the practice spread.

Whatever its actual origin, it was popularly practiced for a few years before Lotte started marketing for it, big time (apparently they learned about it after realizing their sales always spiked around that time of year). Now it makes up about 50% of Lotte's yearly revenue.

Originally it was something you exchanged with friends and loved ones, and, of course, romance gets tacked on with that. So it's a Valentine's Day of a sort and romance is expected, but anyone can receive pepero from anyone, as long as you hold some kind of affection or strong appreciation for that person.

I received a couple of boxes from my coTs. I feel bad because it hadn't even crossed my mind to buy any for them.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:13:00 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Lowfoam

• Adventurer
« Reply #1979 on: November 11, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
None of my kids are exchanging peppero like they did last year. :I

So I brought in a few boxes regardless and I'm handing them out because I love them all the same.  This year they made / ate tteok instead in the cafeteria before school started. I got a giant bag filled with like, 12 of htem.