November 19, 2017, 02:51:10 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402503 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1860 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »

I see the lack of stuff i like in Korea as an opportunity to hone my kitchen skills.  Just had Lasagne for dinner and made some sun-dried focaccia bread for sandwiches next week ( freezes well - recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535456/paul-hollywood-s-focaccia .  Almost every food you miss is makeable with a little practice, and food tastes better when you make it yourself.

Totally agree! I have been making some great hummus lately, simply because I can't find it here.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1861 on: November 03, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
I have been making some great hummus lately, simply because I can't find it here.
If you're craving hummus and various other turkish foods, you may want to check out the Kebab Plus Gwangju FB page.
Theyve got some pretty cool hummus mixes, as well as kebabs, falafel, etc.
It's based in Gwangju, but if you order a certain amount they will deliver anywhere in mainland S.K. (for a price).
Next day delivery too!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:25:49 AM by kyndo »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1862 on: November 03, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »
I have been making some great hummus lately, simply because I can't find it here.
If you're craving hummus and various other turkish foods, you may want to check out the Kebab Plus Gwangju FB page.
It's based in Gwangju, but if you order a certain amount they will deliver anywhere in mainland S.K.

OMG I LOVE YOU *e-hugs and e-kisses for you*

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1863 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »
Whoo, I'm a super waygook now!
It feels good, doesn't it?

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh:

:laugh: I was the same way. I lurked under a different name for a year but then forgot my password when I switched schools, registered under this one, and lurked for another year before posting.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1864 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
It's based in Gwangju, but if you order a certain amount they will deliver anywhere in mainland S.K. (for a price).

oh my goodness gracious

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1865 on: November 03, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »

Have you (or anyone else) ordered this and got it delivered? Does it travel well?
How is it in general? Some of the hammus I've had in Korea has been....bad to say the least, so I'm always on the look out for something decent.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1866 on: November 03, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
:-[ :smiley:

Have you (or anyone else) ordered this and got it delivered? Does it travel well?
How is it in general? Some of the hummus I've had in Korea has been....bad to say the least, so I'm always on the look out for something decent.
    I have actually ordered from here 2 or 3 times, usually in larger orders shared between 5 or 6 of us.
    The hummus travels very well, as does the falafel (the falafel is only the mix: you need to cook/bake/fry it yourself). The kababs were delicious, but not as fresh as you would get from a restaurant or street stall (which makes sense as they were sitting in a train for a few hours).
    The people did respond to our FB messages almost instantly, and were very good about custom orders, and complicated shipping instructions. The packaging included cold-packs, and everything was individually sealed.

The hummus was excellent: I personally very much enjoyed the sweet chilli mango... but then again, there are very few foods that I don't enjoy. Also, I've been told in the past that my culinary preferences are weird, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. :smiley:

In general, I would say that it was quite good, but if you live in one of the big cities and have convenient access to a kebab place, you will probably prefer going there. For the rest of us, this is definitely a great alternative! My experiences with them were all very positive, and they're rated a 4.9/5 on the FB page thingy. I would recommend giving them a try.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:18:10 AM by kyndo »

YoungMin

« Reply #1867 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »

In general, I would say that it was quite good, but if you live in one of the big cities and have convenient access to a kebab place, you will probably prefer going there. For the rest of us, this is definitely a great alternative! My experiences with them were all very positive, and they're rated a 4.9/5 on the FB page thingy. I would recommend giving them a try.

Do people read those ratings on FB? Not having a go at the Kebab place. I'm sure it's good.

I've had friends ask me to 'like and review' their business that was literally created 5 minutes ago on the can and never done a job or sold a cashnew nut and its got 12 5* reviews from friends. Total horseshit man.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:25:55 AM by AgentMichaelScarn »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1868 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
Has anyone found a good hummus place in Seoul? All this talk has made me want some, but I imagine there is something close to here.

Offline blazaforest

• Waygookin
« Reply #1869 on: November 03, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
:-[ :smiley:

How is it in general? Some of the hummus I've had in Korea has been....bad to say the least, so I'm always on the look out for something decent.
    I have actually ordered from here 2 or 3 times, usually in larger orders shared between 5 or 6 of us.
    The hummus travels very well, as does the falafel (the falafel is only the mix: you need to cook/bake/fry it yourself). The kababs were delicious, but not as fresh as you would get from a restaurant or street stall (which makes sense as they were sitting in a train for a few hours).
    The people did respond to our FB messages almost instantly, and were very good about custom orders, and complicated shipping instructions. The packaging included cold-packs, and everything was individually sealed.

The hummus was excellent: I personally very much enjoyed the sweet chilli mango... but then again, there are very few foods that I don't enjoy. Also, I've been told in the past that my culinary preferences are weird, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. :smiley:

What's their minimum order for deliveries, do you know? A couple of us in Yeosu are VERY excited about this prospect, LET ME TELL YOU.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1870 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
Do people read those ratings on FB? Not having a go at the Kebab place. I'm sure it's good.
I've had friends ask me to 'like and review' their business that was literally created 5 minutes ago on the can and never done a job or sold a cashnew nut and its got 12 5* reviews from friends. Total horseshit man.
Something to keep in mind, I agree. But I thought I would put that info out there anyway, in case anyone cared. The 1,200 'likes' on their page is probably a much better indicator. :undecided:
What's their minimum order for deliveries, do you know? A couple of us in Yeosu are VERY excited about this prospect, LET ME TELL YOU.
According to their page, "Hummus and Falafel days" have no minimum order. I made an order of 20,000 and they delivered it. I assume that since the customer pays for shipping, it doesn't really matter to them? I guess that would be a good question to ask if and when you message them your order.
We decided to pool our orders because shipping costs are kinda high (they're a very small business) and a pooled order would mean a better economy of scale shipping wise.

Man, i feel like should be asking them for money, doing all this rep work!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:20:24 PM by kyndo »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1871 on: November 03, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh:

:laugh: I was the same way. I lurked under a different name for a year but then forgot my password when I switched schools, registered under this one, and lurked for another year before posting.
I only figured out what your name came from yesterday... it's on the coffee I've been drinking since the start of the academic year.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1872 on: November 03, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »

I only figured out what your name came from yesterday... it's on the coffee I've been drinking since the start of the academic year.

Mmmmm coffee... Speaking of which, I should just bring my own kettle to school. I tried to go to the teacher's office during lunch to make myself a cup but they were having a meeting. >:(

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1873 on: November 03, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »
wait there's a coffee brand called yirgacheffe?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1874 on: November 03, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
I don't know if it's also a brand, but apparently it's the name of a type of bean. Ethiopean Yirgacheffe.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1875 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
I don't know if it's also a brand, but apparently it's the name of a type of bean. Ethiopean Yirgacheffe.
It's a district (and township) in Ethiopia that's well known for coffee production. Many popular brands, like Kopavogur and Villa Las Estrellas are named after the region in which the coffee beans are harvested.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:50:11 PM by kyndo »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1876 on: November 03, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
I've learned something new today.

Now I'll just envisage a giraffe sipping a cup o' joe.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1877 on: November 03, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
It's a district (and township) in Ethiopia that's well known for coffee production. Many popular brands, like Kopavogur and Villa Las Estrellas are named after the region in which the coffee beans are harvested.

Thanks. Sharing is caring.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1878 on: November 03, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Thanks. Sharing is caring.
My pleasure!
 I'm especially fond of Villa Las Estrellas but they don't seem to have any of it here, even on Gmarket. If any of y'all find any, lemme know! :smiley:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1879 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »

:azn: Yep. You won't typically see them in the chain shops like Starbucks or A Twosome Place or whatever, but if you go to the local shops that roast their own beans and such, there will usually be two to five different beans, all named after the region that they're from.