September 25, 2017, 05:12:36 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356486 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1840 on: November 01, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
I usually wash my hair once a week. It's fairly long, and curly, and very dry. If you wash your hair less often though it's even more necessary to really massage your head to get rid of dead skin, whether or not you use shampoo. (Realized this when I ended up with dandruff after not using shampoo and thus not really cleansing the scalp, despite not usually having dandruff problems).

Also I totally want to try that weird bacterial spray, donovan. Lol. Outing myself as a gross swamp monster here: I actually hate showers. I hate being wet and cold and naked. I would be so happy if I could just put some bacteria on my skin so I won't smell like the swamp monster I am.

LOL I actually enjoy showers, but I hate washing my hair. That alone is what makes me contemplate if I really need to shower on any given day ahahahahaha too bad my hair gets oily super fast.

I love baths. But I don't have a bathtub here. Waiting for your hair to dry, especially if it's long, is really the worst though. It just increases the amount of time you have to spend being wet and cold.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1841 on: November 01, 2016, 04:14:59 PM »
I usually wash my hair once a week. It's fairly long, and curly, and very dry. If you wash your hair less often though it's even more necessary to really massage your head to get rid of dead skin, whether or not you use shampoo. (Realized this when I ended up with dandruff after not using shampoo and thus not really cleansing the scalp, despite not usually having dandruff problems).

Also I totally want to try that weird bacterial spray, donovan. Lol. Outing myself as a gross swamp monster here: I actually hate showers. I hate being wet and cold and naked. I would be so happy if I could just put some bacteria on my skin so I won't smell like the swamp monster I am.

LOL I actually enjoy showers, but I hate washing my hair. That alone is what makes me contemplate if I really need to shower on any given day ahahahahaha too bad my hair gets oily super fast.

I love baths. But I don't have a bathtub here. Waiting for your hair to dry, especially if it's long, is really the worst though. It just increases the amount of time you have to spend being wet and cold.

My hair was really long--right down to my butt--and it was so annoying to wash and dry so I cut half of it off this past weekend. Now it's a little past my armpit, but yesterday, the kids thought I was wearing a wig for Halloween. :laugh: They were so disappointed when they realised that I actually cut my real hair because they loved playing with it. :laugh: I hate when they play with my hair, so that's another bonus for me. On the other hand, I feel bald.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1842 on: November 01, 2016, 04:45:47 PM »
I'm thinking about cutting my hair, too, but I'd feel so naked without my mane. I let it grow until it gets past halfway down my back, then cut it up to about mid-breast level. Last time I had short hair I was something like 7 or 8 years old (Mom tricked me, told me she was only cutting off an inch but it was more like 9 inches... was so mad at her).

I want to play tetris.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1843 on: November 01, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
I somehow have started watching some re-runs of Kitchen Nightmares, and I am loving it.

On another note, I don't think I can go poo-less. I take showers twice a day (I know it is bad for my hair and dries out my skin) and just can't seem to back away from the poo. I love the poo. Especially those smells! (I just got Herbal Essence, and another tea tree one). Anyhow, back to Kitchen Nightmares...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1844 on: November 01, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I . . . just can't seem to back away from the poo. I love the poo. Especially those smells!

Out of context quote! Yeah!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1845 on: November 01, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
I'm thinking about cutting my hair, too, but I'd feel so naked without my mane. I let it grow until it gets past halfway down my back, then cut it up to about mid-breast level. Last time I had short hair I was something like 7 or 8 years old (Mom tricked me, told me she was only cutting off an inch but it was more like 9 inches... was so mad at her).

I want to play tetris.

I know. I regret cutting my hair. :cry: The only time I don't is when I wash it.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1846 on: November 01, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »

I'll talk with you about trot, cowboy.

So, according to her, this is how to wash your hair

First, of all, you must wash it at night, because you are too busy in the morning. But remember that at night the oil comes out of your scalp. But it is best to wash your hair at night right before going to bed.

Because of all the oil that comes out of your scalp, when you wash your hair you really need to scrub and massage your scalp to get rid of all the oil. Don't use a lot of shampoo, but really rub it in. Don't put the shampoo on the rest of your hair, only the scalp. And be sure to massage it. Rinse it out one time, and then shampoo and rinse your scalp two more times, for a total of three times, because you really must be sure to get all the nasty oil off your scalp.

Then, use conditioner on the rest of your hair, but not on the scalp.

:rolleyes:

I mean, yes, some of this is common knowledge/intuitive: shampoo for the roots, conditioner for the ends, and it's less damaging to your hair to air-dry which is less inconvenient overnight. But it was just so bizarre because of her strong emphasis on how important it is to GET RID OF ALL THE OIL

Man seriously, how great is trot? Like, it's so fantastic. If you're ever at a bar or hof and they have trot videos playing, it just gets the vibe so good. And hearing it on the street still makes me feel like I'm in a foreign country. Also some trot is just catchy.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1847 on: November 01, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
I was largely considering going without shampoo because it dries out my hair terribly, but if I don't wash it for so much as a day, it gets super oily and my scalp gets itchy. Maybe as a man with shorter hair I would have less to worry about in terms of the hair gunk Ajahya was talking about. I also still get pimples almost daily. It's not nearly as bad as it was in high school, but it's still an annoyance (and come on, I'm over 30!) and I feel like the less chemicals I can have around my face clogging it and drying it, the better. I really would be interested in the bacteria mist but there is a couple week transition period while your natural microbiome gets up and running, and even after that, you'll probably smell; nothing raunchy, but still noticeable and possibly off-putting.

Also some no-poo product was recently connected to a rash of people whose hair completely fell out after use. There's no guarantee that the chemicals in no-poo products will be any better for you than standard shampoo. The least I can do is buy sulfate-free shampoo.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1848 on: November 01, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »
I somehow have started watching some re-runs of Kitchen Nightmares, and I am loving it.

On another note, I don't think I can go poo-less. I take showers twice a day (I know it is bad for my hair and dries out my skin) and just can't seem to back away from the poo. I love the poo. Especially those smells! (I just got Herbal Essence, and another tea tree one). Anyhow, back to Kitchen Nightmares...

I still quote Kitchen Nightmares while cooking at home. Like, if I put slightly warm food in the fridge: "YOU'RE GOING TO KILL SOMEBODY!" or if I'm unsure about something's shelf life "IT'S ROTTEN!" Doesn't really translate without the accent, though.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1849 on: November 01, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
Today a student ran up behind me and gave me a crushing hug that included lifting me off the ground.

An elementary schooler. (Grade 6, but still...) A random teacher saw and seemed to scold the kid.

I feel little.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1850 on: November 01, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »
Today a student ran up behind me and gave me a crushing hug that included lifting me off the ground.

An elementary schooler. (Grade 6, but still...) A random teacher saw and seemed to scold the kid.

I feel little.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Girl or boy?

Even in my third year, I'm always shocked at how big they get by grade 6. The girls, for the most part, are still shorter than me (I'm about 5'4") but even then, quite a few of them are big-boned. Two of the sixth grade boys are taller than some of the male teachers.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1851 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:04 PM »
A girl!!

I appreciate the sentiment (a student who transferred to our school this year so is relatively new, and apparently she didn't learn a lick of English at her previous school/s but is still happy to see me) but  :cry:

I'm not very tall (5'2"ish) so I'm about the same height as many of my students if not shorter, particularly with 6th graders and middle schoolers.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1852 on: November 01, 2016, 06:15:44 PM »

I want to play tetris.

I know. I regret cutting my hair. :cry: The only time I don't is when I wash it.
I had really long hair when I first came to Korea, maybe 2 or 3 inches shy of my butt, but then when I had my first knee surgery here, I cut it to collarbone length because it got so oily and gross. I couldn't properly shower with my leg, so off it went. It was much more managable. The kids freaked out about it too.

This weekend, I went from mid-back to shoulder length cuz I wanted to cut out all the blonde ombre that I had leftover from last summer and now it feels so much softer and takes less time to wash.

I have recently started using those Lush shampoo bars which are really nice though.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1853 on: November 01, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »

My hair was really long--right down to my butt--and it was so annoying to wash and dry so I cut half of it off this past weekend. Now it's a little past my armpit, but yesterday, the kids thought I was wearing a wig for Halloween. :laugh: They were so disappointed when they realised that I actually cut my real hair because they loved playing with it. :laugh: I hate when they play with my hair, so that's another bonus for me. On the other hand, I feel bald.

I was actually bald three years ago, but have been growing out my hair since then. Being bald was so nice. Nothing to worry about except the baffled stares of people who can't believe a woman would shave her head. I'm tempted to shave my head again on a near-daily basis, but I've been growing it so diligently. I think my hair is actually the longest it's been in my whole life right now.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1854 on: November 01, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »

I'll talk with you about trot, cowboy.

Man seriously, how great is trot? Like, it's so fantastic. If you're ever at a bar or hof and they have trot videos playing, it just gets the vibe so good. And hearing it on the street still makes me feel like I'm in a foreign country. Also some trot is just catchy.

I didn't know what it was even called until recently. It was just "that cool old timey music some taxi drivers listen to." I was so excited when I happened to come across the term for it. I really want to learn some trot songs so that I can blow everyone's mind at the noraebang.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1855 on: November 01, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »
I was largely considering going without shampoo because it dries out my hair terribly, but if I don't wash it for so much as a day, it gets super oily and my scalp gets itchy. Maybe as a man with shorter hair I would have less to worry about in terms of the hair gunk Ajahya was talking about. I also still get pimples almost daily. It's not nearly as bad as it was in high school, but it's still an annoyance (and come on, I'm over 30!) and I feel like the less chemicals I can have around my face clogging it and drying it, the better. I really would be interested in the bacteria mist but there is a couple week transition period while your natural microbiome gets up and running, and even after that, you'll probably smell; nothing raunchy, but still noticeable and possibly off-putting.

Also some no-poo product was recently connected to a rash of people whose hair completely fell out after use. There's no guarantee that the chemicals in no-poo products will be any better for you than standard shampoo. The least I can do is buy sulfate-free shampoo.

Ew pimples. That's annoying.

Shorter hair gets oily more quickly bc there's less hair for the oil to spread out on, but it's also easier to get away without washing it without it looking like total shit. My hair when it was short looked really nice despite using nothing but water to wash it, but past a certain length it was... eh

Yeah, that one was Wen. I never tried it because I didn't think it was worth the cost. I guess it had something in it that was clogging people's pores on their heads. Bleh.

I still want that bacterial spray. I could just use it in conjunction with some nice essential oils...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1856 on: November 01, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »

Ew pimples. That's annoying.

Shorter hair gets oily more quickly bc there's less hair for the oil to spread out on, but it's also easier to get away without washing it without it looking like total shit. My hair when it was short looked really nice despite using nothing but water to wash it, but past a certain length it was... eh

Yeah, that one was Wen. I never tried it because I didn't think it was worth the cost. I guess it had something in it that was clogging people's pores on their heads. Bleh.

I still want that bacterial spray. I could just use it in conjunction with some nice essential oils...

Oh sh*t... If I had money at the time, I probably would've bought Wen hahaha I was a young impressionable teen with no job, though, so I guess that was lucky.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1857 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:18 PM »
Man.. I really want some good ole homemade Thanksgiving food.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1858 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
Man.. I really want some good ole homemade Thanksgiving food.

Should've been at my place on Sunday.  Friends with Commisary privlidge are the best!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1859 on: November 02, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
ughhh

I've been really nauseous and dizzy lately and I finally realized it's because I need new glasses (I'm farsighted and the only way I can tell if I need new glasses is that I feel sick - I can "see" just fine close up, the strain on my eyes just makes me feel terrible). I'm excited because I can get some fashionable Korean frames, although I'm not sure what style I want. (Any suggestions?)

I asked my cot to go with me to get my eyes checked, because while I'm 90% sure I could deal with it myself... you never know what kind of strange words the examiner might use when you don't expect it. I explained to her that I've been dizzy and need to go to the eye doctor to get a new prescription, and apparently hearing "doctor" and "prescription" she thought I wanted to go to an actual hospital.

I thought she was trying to indirectly say she didn't want to go with me or that I shouldn't get my eyes checked, or that I should just go to the eye store and tell them my prescription and get new glasses myself... spent a good 5 minutes talking around each other like that. I'm relieved that she'll come with me, because there have been times before when she's just like "you figure it out yourself" and won't help me with something.

I wish we could cut out of school early though today has been really unbearable. We're going today right after school but I feel like I'm gonna barf out of my eye sockets.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment