November 19, 2017, 01:43:54 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 401990 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1840 on: November 02, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
I've been making up for lost time at the gym and it's slingshot me into an endless craving for anything protein-rich.

Especially beef.

What I wouldn't give for a bloody steak right about now.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1841 on: November 02, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
ughhh

I've been really nauseous and dizzy lately and I finally realized it's because I need new glasses (I'm farsighted and the only way I can tell if I need new glasses is that I feel sick - I can "see" just fine close up, the strain on my eyes just makes me feel terrible). I'm excited because I can get some fashionable Korean frames, although I'm not sure what style I want. (Any suggestions?)

I asked my cot to go with me to get my eyes checked, because while I'm 90% sure I could deal with it myself... you never know what kind of strange words the examiner might use when you don't expect it. I explained to her that I've been dizzy and need to go to the eye doctor to get a new prescription, and apparently hearing "doctor" and "prescription" she thought I wanted to go to an actual hospital.

I thought she was trying to indirectly say she didn't want to go with me or that I shouldn't get my eyes checked, or that I should just go to the eye store and tell them my prescription and get new glasses myself... spent a good 5 minutes talking around each other like that. I'm relieved that she'll come with me, because there have been times before when she's just like "you figure it out yourself" and won't help me with something.

I wish we could cut out of school early though today has been really unbearable. We're going today right after school but I feel like I'm gonna barf out of my eye sockets.

Koreans don't consider optometrists as doctors which is probably where this confusion came from. Ophthalmologists are doctors, but optometrists aren't. On that note, I hope you get your updated prescription and stylish frames without any other headaches. :azn:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1842 on: November 02, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
Yeah... I didn't know how to explain that "eye doctor" is a generic term. At one point I was just like "ok, whoever it is doing the examination" lol

The more baffling one is what other word I could have used for "prescription" (I ended up going with "you know, the strength of the glasses" and touching my lenses for emphasis)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1843 on: November 02, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »
Man.. I really want some good ole homemade Thanksgiving food.

Samesies. Currently I have...instant mashed potatoes.  :sad:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1844 on: November 02, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
I've also been told that there's a big difference in the accuracy you can get in a new prescription between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist here. Ophthalmologists are more thorough and have more equipment while a lot of optometrists just "ballpark" it based on your previous prescription, or so I've been led to believe. One guy told me about an optometrist who sat him in a chair, used a single machine, and then asked him: "Do you think your prescription has changed?" He replied, "No," and the optometrist said, "Okay, I agree."

I don't know how common that is.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1845 on: November 02, 2016, 02:59:34 PM »
damnit

Also she just decided she can't go with me today. Although I wasn't planning on going today initially, I am really feeling sick and I don't know if I can wait until next week.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1846 on: November 02, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »

But they're so good.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1847 on: November 02, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »

But they're so good.

This is true but man what I wouldn't give for some gravy and a biscuit to go with them.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1848 on: November 02, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
It is eerily quiet in the school right now. I'm wondering if classes got let out early today and no one bothered to tell me about it.

But they're so good.

I like to roll them into balls, lightly coat them with olive oil, bread them in parmesan, and bake them in the oven. SOOOooooOOOOoooOOO good.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1849 on: November 02, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »
It is eerily quiet in the school right now. I'm wondering if classes got let out early today and no one bothered to tell me about it.

But they're so good.

I like to roll them into balls, lightly coat them with olive oil, bread them in parmesan, and bake them in the oven. SOOOooooOOOOoooOOO good.
That sounds amazing.

Also, relating to the eyes, I don't know if you were talking about in Korea specific or in general, but optometrists really are doctors. They basically do the same level of things as opthamologists, minus the eye surgery. But they still prescribe things, can do some medical work on eyes as well.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1850 on: November 02, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »

But they're so good.

This is true but man what I wouldn't give for some gravy and a biscuit to go with them.

Dang girl - you need that instant gravy life. It's good.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1851 on: November 02, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »

But they're so good.

That sounds amazing.

Also, relating to the eyes, I don't know if you were talking about in Korea specific or in general, but optometrists really are doctors. They basically do the same level of things as opthamologists, minus the eye surgery. But they still prescribe things, can do some medical work on eyes as well.

They are. I mix in stuff, too -- almost always chives, cheese and some kind of meat (bacon is great if you can find it). Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll make some this weekend and see if either Homeplus and Emart are currently carrying sour cream (they have in the past, probably not now but Ima check).

And yeah, it's Korea-specific. There's supposedly a stronger division between the two professions in both the amount of training and expertise that they have here, leading into a pretty wide variety of results (a lot of that seems to depends on how much of a difference your vision may have changed since your last prescription). I don't have any personal experience to go on that, just on what I've been very strongly told second-hand by numerous people who were, apparently, prescribed the wrong prescriptions.

Also, the optometrists here aren't allowed to check for eye health, either.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1852 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
They are. I mix in stuff, too -- almost always chives, cheese and some kind of meat (bacon is great if you can find it). Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll make some this weekend and see if either Homeplus and Emart are currently carrying sour cream (they have in the past, probably not now but Ima check).

Bacon is great, why not make your own, i do and i have a freezer full of cured pig products.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops-wet-curing-brine

Sour cream is also easy to make at home:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/215240/homemade-sour-cream/

I see the lack of stuff i like in Korea as an opportunity to hone my kitchen skills.  Just had Lasagne for dinner and made some sun-dried focaccia bread for sandwiches next week ( freezes well - recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535456/paul-hollywood-s-focaccia .  Almost every food you miss is makeable with a little practice, and food tastes better when you make it yourself.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1853 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »

Bacon is great, why not make your own, i do and i have a freezer full of cured pig products.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops-wet-curing-brine

Sour cream is also easy to make at home:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/215240/homemade-sour-cream/

I see the lack of stuff i like in Korea as an opportunity to hone my kitchen skills.  Just had Lasagne for dinner and made some sun-dried focaccia bread for sandwiches next week ( freezes well - recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535456/paul-hollywood-s-focaccia .  Almost every food you miss is makeable with a little practice, and food tastes better when you make it yourself.

Maybe if I'm really hard-up for bacon I'll try making my own, but, as much as I love bacon, I eat it maybe 3-5 times in a year (and only as part of a dish). And I keep my fridge fairly packed with frozen fruits and stuff, so not enough room to be storing things that I don't eat very frequently. If I get a bigger place, I might get a mini freezer JUST for frozen meats, though.

And never really thought about making my own sour cream before, always kind of thought that the process would be too involved, but it seems really easy. Will give it a shot.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1854 on: November 03, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I ended up deciding to stop by an eye place to try my luck and had a pretty good eye exam and got some nice cheap glasses. While I hope the prescription is correct, I think I can afford to make a $30 mistake.

Also my new glasses are really cool and compliment both my hair and my eyes. Score!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1855 on: November 03, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »

But they're so good.

That sounds amazing.

And yeah, it's Korea-specific. There's supposedly a stronger division between the two professions in both the amount of training and expertise that they have here, leading into a pretty wide variety of results (a lot of that seems to depends on how much of a difference your vision may have changed since your last prescription). I don't have any personal experience to go on that, just on what I've been very strongly told second-hand by numerous people who were, apparently, prescribed the wrong prescriptions.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure. I haven't actually gone to any eye related things since being here.

I may try that myself this weekend. And maybe even the sour cream or bread making if I have time.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1856 on: November 03, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
Whoo, I'm a super waygook now!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1857 on: November 03, 2016, 08:40:26 AM »
It feels good, doesn't it?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1858 on: November 03, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1859 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh: