September 20, 2017, 12:39:25 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 351380 times)

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1820 on: October 31, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »
Maybe this is a bit short sighted but I've always wondered about it.  If you were born in Korea, lived abroad and then came back and so can speak both languages fluently (I mean native level English and Korean), aren't you incredibly valuable as a teacher?

I mean are people like that able to charge a much higher fee for tutoring?

The idea of being exposed to native level English but at the same time being able to get an accurate translation in Korean at the same time must be quite attractive.

A friend of mine is just as you have described. He charges what I consider the normal rate. 50,000 an hour/person, which lowers depending on the number of hours or number of students.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1821 on: October 31, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
I wanted to post this on Friday but the site was down

So, on Friday my principal kept me after to talk to me. As usual, nothing "bad," just her wanting to talk. It continues to be a little awkward but it's nice to practice my listening in Korean in a "real life" context.

Conversation topics included:
Her telling me the "right way" to wash your hair. No, not joking. She'd been telling me for a month that she wanted to tell me the best way to wash hair, as if it was some amazing discovery she just made.
Talking about trot music
Talking about music education in the States
Her giving me "helpful" teaching tips like "be sure to speak loudly" and "explain things again more slowly and simply if a student doesn't understand" and "be sure to say hello to all the students". She also told me to be sure to say hello to all the Korean teachers because Korean people are shy and to especially say hello to the male teachers (???)

She also asked me how things were going with boss cot to which I responded "Things became a little bit okay" and told me to let her know if I have any more troubles with her

(On a related note, I told the nice cot that I had talked with the principal about boss cot before so if she wanted to talk to her about it, she would be sympathetic and take her seriously)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1822 on: October 31, 2016, 05:49:42 PM »

So, on Friday my principal kept me after to talk to me. As usual, nothing "bad," just her wanting to talk. It continues to be a little awkward but it's nice to practice my listening in Korean in a "real life" context.

Her telling me the "right way" to wash your hair. No, not joking. She'd been telling me for a month that she wanted to tell me the best way to wash hair, as if it was some amazing discovery she just made.
Talking about trot music
Her giving me "helpful" teaching tips like "be sure to speak loudly" and "explain things again more slowly and simply if a student doesn't understand" and "be sure to say hello to all the students". She also told me to be sure to say hello to all the Korean teachers because Korean people are shy and to especially say hello to the male teachers (???)

She also asked me how things were going with boss cot to which I responded "Things became a little bit okay" and told me to let her know if I have any more troubles with her

(On a related note, I told the nice cot that I had talked with the principal about boss cot before so if she wanted to talk to her about it, she would be sympathetic and take her seriously)

I wish anyone would talk to me about trot. Trot is the best. Also what's the best way to wash your hair? I always just shampoo and conditioner. If I use any leave-in product or anything, it's greasy.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1823 on: October 31, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »

Talking about trot music

I wish anyone would talk to me about trot. Trot is the best. Also what's the best way to wash your hair? I always just shampoo and conditioner. If I use any leave-in product or anything, it's greasy.

I'll talk with you about trot, cowboy.

So, according to her, this is how to wash your hair

First, of all, you must wash it at night, because you are too busy in the morning. But remember that at night the oil comes out of your scalp. But it is best to wash your hair at night right before going to bed.

Because of all the oil that comes out of your scalp, when you wash your hair you really need to scrub and massage your scalp to get rid of all the oil. Don't use a lot of shampoo, but really rub it in. Don't put the shampoo on the rest of your hair, only the scalp. And be sure to massage it. Rinse it out one time, and then shampoo and rinse your scalp two more times, for a total of three times, because you really must be sure to get all the nasty oil off your scalp.

Then, use conditioner on the rest of your hair, but not on the scalp.

:rolleyes:

I mean, yes, some of this is common knowledge/intuitive: shampoo for the roots, conditioner for the ends, and it's less damaging to your hair to air-dry which is less inconvenient overnight. But it was just so bizarre because of her strong emphasis on how important it is to GET RID OF ALL THE OIL

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1824 on: October 31, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Is anybody out there no-pooing? I think I'd like to try.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1825 on: October 31, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »

This may have a different connotation than you intended.  :wink:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1826 on: October 31, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »

I literally can't work out if this is rude or not.  Is this like when you eat barley bibimbap and you think you need to take a shit, but can't?  Is it then watched like dogging?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1827 on: October 31, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »

Sure, if you're of a certain mind you could go there. :rolleyes: True hairistas will know what I'm talking about, though, and they'll reply with proper decorum. :angel:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1828 on: October 31, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »

Sure, if you're of a certain mind you could go there. :rolleyes: True hairistas will know what I'm talking about, though, and they'll reply with proper decorum. :angel:

I was no-poo for a year before I gave up on it. For me, after my hair got past a certain length, it was just too oily and gross. Co-only also results in heavy-feeling hair for me. Could never really figure out the baking soda nonsense. Easiest/best for your hair is to use either goat's milk shampoo bar or some SLS-free shampoo coupled with cone-free conditioner (if you use it)

My hair is super finicky so I've explored a lot of options, but I'm thinking of returning to the good ol' "cut it all off" method lol

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1829 on: October 31, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

I was no-poo for a year before I gave up on it. For me, after my hair got past a certain length, it was just too oily and gross. Co-only also results in heavy-feeling hair for me. Could never really figure out the baking soda nonsense. Easiest/best for your hair is to use either goat's milk shampoo bar or some SLS-free shampoo coupled with cone-free conditioner (if you use it)

My hair is super finicky so I've explored a lot of options, but I'm thinking of returning to the good ol' "cut it all off" method lol

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Shampoo.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1830 on: October 31, 2016, 11:18:49 PM »

Thanks for validating my comment, moonbrie. I probably have less hair than you, and less and less by the day, so perhaps no-poo would be more manageable for me. Or maybe I'll just take the plunge straight to a bacterial spray and forgo "poo" (and showers) altogether  :afro:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:23:45 PM by donovan »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1831 on: November 01, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »

I started a couple months ago. I was losing too much time (and hair). I try to go one week without washing (my hair is a bit past my shoulders) but average about twice a week. I use a hair mask/shampoo/vinegar rinse and then dry shampoo throughout the week (Klorane works incredibly well for me). Been working well so far.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1832 on: November 01, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »

I started a couple months ago. I was losing too much time (and hair). I try to go one week without washing (my hair is a bit past my shoulders) but average about twice a week. I use a hair mask/shampoo/vinegar rinse and then dry shampoo throughout the week (Klorane works incredibly well for me). Been working well so far.
I tried it for a while. Even though my hair is kind of short, it's super thick and curly. It was fine for about 2 weeks and then my scalp started getting kind of clogged up with dirt, product, and sweat. Co-washing wouldn't remove it. Good luck to the rest of y'all though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1833 on: November 01, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »
I've never tried it. I wash my hair about 3 or 4 times a week cuz my hair gets pretty oily otherwise. Would going shampoo free make a big difference? I have noticed that when I go on week long camping trips with no real showers that I can make it longer times with no shampooing.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1834 on: November 01, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
I've never tried it. I wash my hair about 3 or 4 times a week cuz my hair gets pretty oily otherwise. Would going shampoo free make a big difference? I have noticed that when I go on week long camping trips with no real showers that I can make it longer times with no shampooing.

The idea is that water alone can remove the major dirt, and remove most of the oil, but not all of it, because your hair actually needs some of it. Shampoo is really stripping and damaging to hair.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1835 on: November 01, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
I've tried using shampoo-alternatives, but they all either leave my scalp feeling just as greasy and/or leave my hair strands feeling dry and dull.

My hair seems to be happy with shampoo and conditioning. But then I spend money on good shit. And people always say not to put conditioner directly on the scalp, but I always do, and my hair seems happier for it (I guess it balances out whatever the shampoo strips away).

I can also get away with not washing my hair everyday so that I'm not always stripping my scalp of natural oils (which, as Ajahya has stated, your scalp and your hair actually need for optimal health). The idea behind cleaning your hair is to get rid of access and built-up oil, not to completely strip it all away.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1836 on: November 01, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »

The idea is that water alone can remove the major dirt, and remove most of the oil, but not all of it, because your hair actually needs some of it. Shampoo is really stripping and damaging to hair.

Maybe I'll try this over the weekend. I'll wash my hair on Thursday night, and then just use water on Saturday, maybe Sunday, to see if I can go at least two or three days without shampoo. I've always wanted to try because I know shampoo can be really drying, but my hair gets oily really fast, so I'll test it out over the weekend.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1837 on: November 01, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »

Yeah, I know the natural oils are good. Thats why I don't wash every day, but it does get a little gross after a few days. But I just cut a bunch of hair off so maybe that will be better! Haha.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1838 on: November 01, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »
I usually wash my hair once a week. It's fairly long, and curly, and very dry. If you wash your hair less often though it's even more necessary to really massage your head to get rid of dead skin, whether or not you use shampoo. (Realized this when I ended up with dandruff after not using shampoo and thus not really cleansing the scalp, despite not usually having dandruff problems).

Also I totally want to try that weird bacterial spray, donovan. Lol. Outing myself as a gross swamp monster here: I actually hate showers. I hate being wet and cold and naked. I would be so happy if I could just put some bacteria on my skin so I won't smell like the swamp monster I am.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1839 on: November 01, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
I usually wash my hair once a week. It's fairly long, and curly, and very dry. If you wash your hair less often though it's even more necessary to really massage your head to get rid of dead skin, whether or not you use shampoo. (Realized this when I ended up with dandruff after not using shampoo and thus not really cleansing the scalp, despite not usually having dandruff problems).

Also I totally want to try that weird bacterial spray, donovan. Lol. Outing myself as a gross swamp monster here: I actually hate showers. I hate being wet and cold and naked. I would be so happy if I could just put some bacteria on my skin so I won't smell like the swamp monster I am.

LOL I actually enjoy showers, but I hate washing my hair. That alone is what makes me contemplate if I really need to shower on any given day ahahahahaha too bad my hair gets oily super fast.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment