December 11, 2017, 01:34:50 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 424840 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1800 on: October 31, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »
Is anybody out there no-pooing? I think I'd like to try.

This may have a different connotation than you intended.  :wink:

Sure, if you're of a certain mind you could go there. :rolleyes: True hairistas will know what I'm talking about, though, and they'll reply with proper decorum. :angel:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1801 on: October 31, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »

Sure, if you're of a certain mind you could go there. :rolleyes: True hairistas will know what I'm talking about, though, and they'll reply with proper decorum. :angel:

I was no-poo for a year before I gave up on it. For me, after my hair got past a certain length, it was just too oily and gross. Co-only also results in heavy-feeling hair for me. Could never really figure out the baking soda nonsense. Easiest/best for your hair is to use either goat's milk shampoo bar or some SLS-free shampoo coupled with cone-free conditioner (if you use it)

My hair is super finicky so I've explored a lot of options, but I'm thinking of returning to the good ol' "cut it all off" method lol

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1802 on: October 31, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »

I was no-poo for a year before I gave up on it. For me, after my hair got past a certain length, it was just too oily and gross. Co-only also results in heavy-feeling hair for me. Could never really figure out the baking soda nonsense. Easiest/best for your hair is to use either goat's milk shampoo bar or some SLS-free shampoo coupled with cone-free conditioner (if you use it)

My hair is super finicky so I've explored a lot of options, but I'm thinking of returning to the good ol' "cut it all off" method lol

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Shampoo.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1803 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

Thanks for validating my comment, moonbrie. I probably have less hair than you, and less and less by the day, so perhaps no-poo would be more manageable for me. Or maybe I'll just take the plunge straight to a bacterial spray and forgo "poo" (and showers) altogether  :afro:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:23:45 PM by donovan »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1804 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39:47 AM »

I started a couple months ago. I was losing too much time (and hair). I try to go one week without washing (my hair is a bit past my shoulders) but average about twice a week. I use a hair mask/shampoo/vinegar rinse and then dry shampoo throughout the week (Klorane works incredibly well for me). Been working well so far.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1805 on: November 01, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »

I started a couple months ago. I was losing too much time (and hair). I try to go one week without washing (my hair is a bit past my shoulders) but average about twice a week. I use a hair mask/shampoo/vinegar rinse and then dry shampoo throughout the week (Klorane works incredibly well for me). Been working well so far.
I tried it for a while. Even though my hair is kind of short, it's super thick and curly. It was fine for about 2 weeks and then my scalp started getting kind of clogged up with dirt, product, and sweat. Co-washing wouldn't remove it. Good luck to the rest of y'all though.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1806 on: November 01, 2016, 08:53:32 AM »
I've never tried it. I wash my hair about 3 or 4 times a week cuz my hair gets pretty oily otherwise. Would going shampoo free make a big difference? I have noticed that when I go on week long camping trips with no real showers that I can make it longer times with no shampooing.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1807 on: November 01, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
I've never tried it. I wash my hair about 3 or 4 times a week cuz my hair gets pretty oily otherwise. Would going shampoo free make a big difference? I have noticed that when I go on week long camping trips with no real showers that I can make it longer times with no shampooing.

The idea is that water alone can remove the major dirt, and remove most of the oil, but not all of it, because your hair actually needs some of it. Shampoo is really stripping and damaging to hair.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1808 on: November 01, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »
I've tried using shampoo-alternatives, but they all either leave my scalp feeling just as greasy and/or leave my hair strands feeling dry and dull.

My hair seems to be happy with shampoo and conditioning. But then I spend money on good shit. And people always say not to put conditioner directly on the scalp, but I always do, and my hair seems happier for it (I guess it balances out whatever the shampoo strips away).

I can also get away with not washing my hair everyday so that I'm not always stripping my scalp of natural oils (which, as Ajahya has stated, your scalp and your hair actually need for optimal health). The idea behind cleaning your hair is to get rid of access and built-up oil, not to completely strip it all away.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1809 on: November 01, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »

The idea is that water alone can remove the major dirt, and remove most of the oil, but not all of it, because your hair actually needs some of it. Shampoo is really stripping and damaging to hair.

Maybe I'll try this over the weekend. I'll wash my hair on Thursday night, and then just use water on Saturday, maybe Sunday, to see if I can go at least two or three days without shampoo. I've always wanted to try because I know shampoo can be really drying, but my hair gets oily really fast, so I'll test it out over the weekend.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1810 on: November 01, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »

Yeah, I know the natural oils are good. Thats why I don't wash every day, but it does get a little gross after a few days. But I just cut a bunch of hair off so maybe that will be better! Haha.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1811 on: November 01, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
I usually wash my hair once a week. It's fairly long, and curly, and very dry. If you wash your hair less often though it's even more necessary to really massage your head to get rid of dead skin, whether or not you use shampoo. (Realized this when I ended up with dandruff after not using shampoo and thus not really cleansing the scalp, despite not usually having dandruff problems).

Also I totally want to try that weird bacterial spray, donovan. Lol. Outing myself as a gross swamp monster here: I actually hate showers. I hate being wet and cold and naked. I would be so happy if I could just put some bacteria on my skin so I won't smell like the swamp monster I am.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1812 on: November 01, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »
I usually wash my hair once a week. It's fairly long, and curly, and very dry. If you wash your hair less often though it's even more necessary to really massage your head to get rid of dead skin, whether or not you use shampoo. (Realized this when I ended up with dandruff after not using shampoo and thus not really cleansing the scalp, despite not usually having dandruff problems).

Also I totally want to try that weird bacterial spray, donovan. Lol. Outing myself as a gross swamp monster here: I actually hate showers. I hate being wet and cold and naked. I would be so happy if I could just put some bacteria on my skin so I won't smell like the swamp monster I am.

LOL I actually enjoy showers, but I hate washing my hair. That alone is what makes me contemplate if I really need to shower on any given day ahahahahaha too bad my hair gets oily super fast.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1813 on: November 01, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »

LOL I actually enjoy showers, but I hate washing my hair. That alone is what makes me contemplate if I really need to shower on any given day ahahahahaha too bad my hair gets oily super fast.

I love baths. But I don't have a bathtub here. Waiting for your hair to dry, especially if it's long, is really the worst though. It just increases the amount of time you have to spend being wet and cold.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1814 on: November 01, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »

I love baths. But I don't have a bathtub here. Waiting for your hair to dry, especially if it's long, is really the worst though. It just increases the amount of time you have to spend being wet and cold.

My hair was really long--right down to my butt--and it was so annoying to wash and dry so I cut half of it off this past weekend. Now it's a little past my armpit, but yesterday, the kids thought I was wearing a wig for Halloween. :laugh: They were so disappointed when they realised that I actually cut my real hair because they loved playing with it. :laugh: I hate when they play with my hair, so that's another bonus for me. On the other hand, I feel bald.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1815 on: November 01, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
I'm thinking about cutting my hair, too, but I'd feel so naked without my mane. I let it grow until it gets past halfway down my back, then cut it up to about mid-breast level. Last time I had short hair I was something like 7 or 8 years old (Mom tricked me, told me she was only cutting off an inch but it was more like 9 inches... was so mad at her).

I want to play tetris.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1816 on: November 01, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »
I somehow have started watching some re-runs of Kitchen Nightmares, and I am loving it.

On another note, I don't think I can go poo-less. I take showers twice a day (I know it is bad for my hair and dries out my skin) and just can't seem to back away from the poo. I love the poo. Especially those smells! (I just got Herbal Essence, and another tea tree one). Anyhow, back to Kitchen Nightmares...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1817 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I . . . just can't seem to back away from the poo. I love the poo. Especially those smells!

Out of context quote! Yeah!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1818 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
I'm thinking about cutting my hair, too, but I'd feel so naked without my mane. I let it grow until it gets past halfway down my back, then cut it up to about mid-breast level. Last time I had short hair I was something like 7 or 8 years old (Mom tricked me, told me she was only cutting off an inch but it was more like 9 inches... was so mad at her).

I want to play tetris.

I know. I regret cutting my hair. :cry: The only time I don't is when I wash it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1819 on: November 01, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »
I was largely considering going without shampoo because it dries out my hair terribly, but if I don't wash it for so much as a day, it gets super oily and my scalp gets itchy. Maybe as a man with shorter hair I would have less to worry about in terms of the hair gunk Ajahya was talking about. I also still get pimples almost daily. It's not nearly as bad as it was in high school, but it's still an annoyance (and come on, I'm over 30!) and I feel like the less chemicals I can have around my face clogging it and drying it, the better. I really would be interested in the bacteria mist but there is a couple week transition period while your natural microbiome gets up and running, and even after that, you'll probably smell; nothing raunchy, but still noticeable and possibly off-putting.

Also some no-poo product was recently connected to a rash of people whose hair completely fell out after use. There's no guarantee that the chemicals in no-poo products will be any better for you than standard shampoo. The least I can do is buy sulfate-free shampoo.