November 19, 2017, 02:54:59 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402517 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1780 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
Cool. I teach as young as 3rd grade and I don't see my kids getting scared but thought I'd feel out others' opinions. ^^

I did manage to find a Korean subtitled version of "This is Halloween" but it was on Korean youtube and won't be available if you're logged into an account that's not Korean. Fingers crossed it stays up (posted a few years ago so I feel it should be fine) otherwise they'll just have to deal hahah

Just download it. I've never had issues but I also don't rely on Youtube to work when I need it to. I showed a bunch of shorts this summer camp as a warm-up to each day but I downloaded all of them beforehand. :azn:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1781 on: October 24, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
Cool. I teach as young as 3rd grade and I don't see my kids getting scared but thought I'd feel out others' opinions. ^^

I did manage to find a Korean subtitled version of "This is Halloween" but it was on Korean youtube and won't be available if you're logged into an account that's not Korean. Fingers crossed it stays up (posted a few years ago so I feel it should be fine) otherwise they'll just have to deal hahah

Just download it. I've never had issues but I also don't rely on Youtube to work when I need it to. I showed a bunch of shorts this summer camp as a warm-up to each day but I downloaded all of them beforehand. :azn:

I downloaded it as an mp4 but my computer was unable to play it :( I even tried to convert it for windows media player but then the sound disappeared ><

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1782 on: October 24, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »

I downloaded it as an mp4 but my computer was unable to play it :( I even tried to convert it for windows media player but then the sound disappeared ><

Hmm... that's werid. I've never had that problem before lol I'm not tech savvy so I can't help you there. :sad:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1783 on: October 24, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »
Yeah, not sure what the deal is. As it is, I've stuck to just using youtube all year and haven't had an issue yet so here's hoping my luck will continue in that vein!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1784 on: October 25, 2016, 06:40:49 AM »
A new student has joined my morning class.  Nothing weird about that.  But...

In the morning at around 7:30 he comes to the teachers' office, gets himself a coffee and kicks back chatting with the other teacher who's usually around at that time.

It just seems...weird.  I mean, relaxing in the teachers' office and drinking our coffee feels a little bit too...familiar/casual for a student.

That does seem weird... lol Are you at a high school??

Haha doesn't it!!  Yea it's a high school.  Maybe he knows the other teacher from a previous school or something but still there should be some boundaries  :laugh:

Are you sure he's a student? Maybe he's a spy in disguise!  :shocked:

He's still doing it.

This morning I walked in to find him boiling our kettle  :huh:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1785 on: October 25, 2016, 08:13:59 AM »
A new student has joined my morning class.  Nothing weird about that.  But...

In the morning at around 7:30 he comes to the teachers' office, gets himself a coffee and kicks back chatting with the other teacher who's usually around at that time.

It just seems...weird.  I mean, relaxing in the teachers' office and drinking our coffee feels a little bit too...familiar/casual for a student.

That does seem weird... lol Are you at a high school??

Haha doesn't it!!  Yea it's a high school.  Maybe he knows the other teacher from a previous school or something but still there should be some boundaries  :laugh:

Are you sure he's a student? Maybe he's a spy in disguise!  :shocked:

He's still doing it.

This morning I walked in to find him boiling our kettle  :huh:
We went on a teacher dinner month ago and about an hour into it, two guys walked in, joined our party, went and got plates of food, and started eating. I was really confused because I thought they were students (young looking, same hair styles as a lot of the boys, and were even wearing the same type of shirt the kids have for uniforms). I asked what a couple of students were doing eating with us and it turns out they were brand new teachers,.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1786 on: October 25, 2016, 09:32:28 AM »

Is this your school computer or personal computer?

If it's mp4, you could try installing VLC player -- it's a good free media player that has no problem playing most files, although you'll have to play with a couple of settings if you want Korean subtitles to work okay in it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1787 on: October 25, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
School computer. Might be a good fix for my middle schools as there are English rooms but for elementary I don't know about installing stuff on all the homeroom teachers' computers. Thanks for the tip :)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1788 on: October 25, 2016, 02:16:40 PM »

This is This is Halloween (with Korean subtitles)~

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1789 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
The slippers I use at my travel school make me think of horses. Clip clop, clip clop.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1790 on: October 26, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »
A coworker has a large dried fish (like a foot and a half long) and is smacking it in the palm of his hand, saying, "This is my baseball bat" while another teacher is calling him a "gangster."

I just got back from my travel school and this is what's happening in the home office. Lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1791 on: October 26, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
I wish entertaining things like that happened at my school

my coteacher asked me if I wanted to renew yesterday. I told her no, as I had told anyone who asked me before how long I planned on staying and I said just the year. I apologized because I know the principal wants me to stay and it's less convenient for them to get a completely new teacher again who needs some time to figure everything out, and said I hoped to write some notes for the new foreign teacher and asked when they would know about the new teacher.

She said they weren't going to get a new foreign teacher next year  :blank:

I apologized again but she said it's fine and I'm not sure if it's just the standard placating "it's fine" or actually me being here has been inconvenient for everyone this year ....  :blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1792 on: October 26, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »

my coteacher asked me if I wanted to renew yesterday. I told her no, as I had told anyone who asked me before how long I planned on staying and I said just the year. I apologized because I know the principal wants me to stay and it's less convenient for them to get a completely new teacher again who needs some time to figure everything out, and said I hoped to write some notes for the new foreign teacher and asked when they would know about the new teacher.

I apologized again but she said it's fine and I'm not sure if it's just the standard placating "it's fine" or actually me being here has been inconvenient for everyone this year ....  :blank: :blank: :blank:

Man this worries me. I had to ask about renewal and apparently that won't happen until early December? Ugh I wish I knew.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1793 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
About renewing: I want to and my VP said she hopes I stay, but I haven't heard anything official yet. Hopefully I will soon, though, that way I'm not on tenterhooks just waiting.

The school talent show is tomorrow! I'm excited to watch it. Sadly I'll miss most of the little ones performing as I have 5th and 6th grade classes then, but watching the ones I can will be fun. I do wish they wouldn't turn everything into a competition though. They're all already comparing themselves to the other classes and saying who is better. It'd be nice if they could just have fun with things for once. :undecided:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1794 on: October 26, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »

Is this that boss co-T?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1795 on: October 27, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »

Is this that boss co-T?
haha fortunately no. it's my handler cot. All of my coteachers are nice and reasonable peoploe except the boss cot. Although my handler cot is very cold emotionally. Cheerful, yes, but never warm. So it's hard for me to read her.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1796 on: October 27, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
I just watched a 5 nights at Freddy's video and jump scared myself at my desk. My coworker that was sitting next to me looked over very concernedly and asked what was happening and if I was ok. I just told her I was preparing for Halloween class.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1797 on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:09 AM »
I wish I had the self-discipline to overcome my deeply entrenched habit of procrastination.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1798 on: October 27, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »
A student left their notebook in class and I noticed a worksheet from the book titled, "Let's go to movie."   :undecided:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1799 on: October 27, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »
A student left their notebook in class and I noticed a worksheet from the book titled, "Let's go to movie."   :undecided:

One time I noticed my elem. 5th graders spelling a word incorrectly, "vesetable." I then saw that their worksheets from my coT (when she teaches alone and I'm at a diff. school) had it spelled that way.  :blank: :blank: I also had to correct "potatoes" but that one is at least a little more understandable.

Pretty sure she doesn't make her own worksheets and gets them from somewhere... but seems like she doesn't bother to actually check the materials.