September 27, 2017, 03:28:59 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 357734 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1740 on: October 19, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
My friend sent me a creepypasta link with a WA based story. Apparently every state has a scary story that you can read through, so I just spent some time reading that since my last class was randomly cancelled.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1741 on: October 19, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
Classes are all planned for the week so I've been entertaining myself by reading about cryptids in Africa. It would be cool if they did exist, but if they do why don't we have proof yet? Though most (Western) people used to believe the gorilla was a myth until not that long ago, so even though these cryptids are usually pretty big it seems arrogant to assume we've discovered everything.

20 minutes until I'm outta here and then I'm going to try and clean out my washing machine. It's started giving my clothes a weird smell and I read about cleaning it with vinegar and baking soda so we'll see how that goes.

Offline rowdes

• Veteran
« Reply #1742 on: October 19, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »
Just a rant..

Is anyone else irritated with the new education rules where all classrooms must have the kids sitting in groups? having taught here for over 6 years, I have found this to be highly unproductive, as the kids just talk to one another. (I've always had them in rows/columns, all facing the front)

I'm not aware of this rule... All of my students sit in the rows / columns and some of the homerooms at my school have their classrooms set up in the same way. Is this a regional policy?? :huh: Also, I agree that sitting in groups makes the class unproductive. I just have the kids form groups when the activity calls for it.

This^ I haven't been made aware of such rules. My students usually get into groups as my class is starting now, but other than that, they sit in rows facing the front.

sorry guys, seems like it's only being enforced in the 달서구 / 남구 area. It's been a noisy week thus far haha.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1743 on: October 20, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?
I think about this when I drive usually.  I like driving an automatic here but it does seem quite a lazy way to drive and more like driving on Gran Turismo on the playstation, than real driving.  If people had to change up and down to stop the car from stalling when driving then maybe they would be more careful when they drive.  Or maybe Koreans would just stall the whole time.  There is also no skill in traffic light racing here  :-[

I find that if you let the impatient drivers crawl half way over the crosswalk on a red light they keep nudging it forward and forward waiting for it to turn green and then by the time it actually turns green they have their foot on the brake cos they can't see the green light cos they've crept forward too far to see the lights change and then you just gun it past them as soon as it turns green. I usually throw in a 'what a bellend' head shake as I drive by.

Sumfink like dis?

I be more like dis

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1744 on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
Yesterday was national earthquake training. Today they will do the same exact thing for fire...but like they should really make it a surprise to them. For that entire period the students are just waiting for it. Would be nice to see what they did if they weren't expecting it. 

YoungMin

« Reply #1745 on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?
I think about this when I drive usually.  I like driving an automatic here but it does seem quite a lazy way to drive and more like driving on Gran Turismo on the playstation, than real driving.  If people had to change up and down to stop the car from stalling when driving then maybe they would be more careful when they drive.  Or maybe Koreans would just stall the whole time.  There is also no skill in traffic light racing here  :-[

I find that if you let the impatient drivers crawl half way over the crosswalk on a red light they keep nudging it forward and forward waiting for it to turn green and then by the time it actually turns green they have their foot on the brake cos they can't see the green light cos they've crept forward too far to see the lights change and then you just gun it past them as soon as it turns green. I usually throw in a 'what a bellend' head shake as I drive by.

Sumfink like dis?

I be more like dis

One of the greatest movies of our generation. Might watch this today actually for some banter. Martin Freeman is an incredibly talented actor. Might even change my username to Tim Canterbury out of respect.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1746 on: October 20, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
Yesterday was national earthquake training. Today they will do the same exact thing for fire...but like they should really make it a surprise to them. For that entire period the students are just waiting for it. Would be nice to see what they did if they weren't expecting it.
We didn't even know what it was at our school and no one did anything. So pointless.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1747 on: October 20, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
From grade 6 textbook
"Wow, friend's grandmother, your Hanbok is beautiful"
Grandmother replies: "Do you know about Hanbok?" (Do you know about X Korean cultural item being the focus of the grammar for this lesson)

What student says. "Yes. I know about it."

What she should have said: "I just fu**ing said hanbok, didn't I, you senile old cow?"
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1748 on: October 20, 2016, 12:04:03 PM »
Classes are all planned for the week so I've been entertaining myself by reading about cryptids in Africa. It would be cool if they did exist, but if they do why don't we have proof yet? Though most (Western) people used to believe the gorilla was a myth until not that long ago, so even though these cryptids are usually pretty big it seems arrogant to assume we've discovered everything.

20 minutes until I'm outta here and then I'm going to try and clean out my washing machine. It's started giving my clothes a weird smell and I read about cleaning it with vinegar and baking soda so we'll see how that goes.

You can also buy washing machine cleaner at Emart (which is probably just baking soda but still)!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1749 on: October 20, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
From grade 6 textbook
Grandmother replies: "Do you know about Hanbok?" (Do you know about X Korean cultural item being the focus of the grammar for this lesson)

What she should have said: "I just fu**ing said hanbok, didn't I, you senile old cow?"

My students hate that chapter cuz they think the English spelling is hideous. They keep saying it's trash spelling and it offends them so I told them how bad some Hangul translations are, we had a laugh, and went back to the annoying chapter.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1750 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
From grade 6 textbook

My students hate that chapter cuz they think the English spelling is hideous. They keep saying it's trash spelling and it offends them so I told them how bad some Hangul translations are, we had a laugh, and went back to the annoying chapter.
We had a similar chapter in out book, talking about yeotnori and ssireum and other korean stuff and when we got to the part of the chapter where the foreign kids act out stuff and talk, they could not stop laughing at the terrible pronunciation. Gam sa hap ni da! Bee bim bap! It was awful.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1751 on: October 20, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »
From grade 6 textbook

We had a similar chapter in out book, talking about yeotnori and ssireum and other korean stuff and when we got to the part of the chapter where the foreign kids act out stuff and talk, they could not stop laughing at the terrible pronunciation. Gam sa hap ni da! Bee bim bap! It was awful.

Student: That's not how to say 한복.
Me: yeah and Overwatch doesn't sound like o-buh-wha-chee so just move on.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1752 on: October 20, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
From grade 6 textbook

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1753 on: October 20, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
From grade 6 textbook

On a serious note it does bug me when the students mock my Korean pronunication.  Yesterday I was helping a student by saying something in Korean and he just laughed and did an impression of me right to my face.  Ballsy but annoying!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1754 on: October 20, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »
From grade 6 textbook

On a serious note it does bug me when the students mock my Korean pronunication.  Yesterday I was helping a student by saying something in Korean and he just laughed and did an impression of me right to my face.  Ballsy but annoying!

I have a first grade elementary girl who seems to think she's a teacher and every day on the bus she wants to teach me more words but she like drills me on pronunciation. Like super pushy with it. Which yeah it's actually helping but she gets like offended if I make a mistake for forget a word.

Her: *points at eye*
Me: I'm tired...
Her: KRISTY TEACHER! STUDY!! What's this!*points at eye in a way that demands an answer*
Me: *mumbles* 눈
Her: LOUD PLEASE!
Me: 눈!!!!!
Her: ...good job....

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1755 on: October 20, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
From grade 6 textbook

I have a first grade elementary girl who seems to think she's a teacher and every day on the bus she wants to teach me more words but she like drills me on pronunciation. Like super pushy with it. Which yeah it's actually helping but she gets like offended if I make a mistake for forget a word.

Her: *points at eye*
Me: I'm tired...
Her: KRISTY TEACHER! STUDY!! What's this!*points at eye in a way that demands an answer*
Me: *mumbles* 눈
Her: LOUD PLEASE!
Me: 눈!!!!!
Her: ...good job....
Last night I was at the grocery store asking them to deliver my groceries and every time I said something in Korean, one woman made me repeat it 3 or so times, and a second woman just came out of no where and giggled with each phrase or number. But at least they didn't make mocking impersonations (that I know of, haha).

I also had a cute little first grader that would try to teach my random Korean words, like water bottle or something.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1756 on: October 20, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
To be fair, though, some people's Korean pronunciation is awful.

There's nothing worse than people whose pronunciation is honest-to-goodness bad, who then turn around and say, "Bawwww! The clerk at the restaurant didn't understand what I said - everything is stupid and bad and I don't like it."

Take some personal accountability. Yeah, sometimes even with good pronunciation, people blank when they have a foreigner try to speak to them. It's annoying, but whatever. It's not that common. But most of the time it's because the speaker is absolutely butchering whatever they're trying to say, but isn't willing to check their privilege enough to realize that it might actually be that the way they're saying something is literally difficult to understand.

The fact that most people here won't take the time to try to understand said butchered Korean is the point that I take issue with. Go to a lot of places, and if a tourist who can't English well is trying to get something at a restaurant, most times people will listen and be patient and try to figure out what it is that customer is trying to say. Here people are often like, "WELP BETTER THROW MY HANDS UP - NO POSSIBLE WAY TO COMMUNICATE HERE!" That's super lame. But still. Some people's pronunciation is total butt.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1757 on: October 20, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
To be fair, though, some people's Korean pronunciation is awful.

There's nothing worse than people whose pronunciation is honest-to-goodness bad, who then turn around and say, "Bawwww! The clerk at the restaurant didn't understand what I said - everything is stupid and bad and I don't like it."

Take some personal accountability. Yeah, sometimes even with good pronunciation, people blank when they have a foreigner try to speak to them. It's annoying, but whatever. It's not that common. But most of the time it's because the speaker is absolutely butchering whatever they're trying to say, but isn't willing to check their privilege enough to realize that it might actually be that the way they're saying something is literally difficult to understand.

The fact that most people here won't take the time to try to understand said butchered Korean is the point that I take issue with. Go to a lot of places, and if a tourist who can't English well is trying to get something at a restaurant, most times people will listen and be patient and try to figure out what it is that customer is trying to say. Here people are often like, "WELP BETTER THROW MY HANDS UP - NO POSSIBLE WAY TO COMMUNICATE HERE!" That's super lame. But still. Some people's pronunciation is total butt.
I didn't want to say it in the post becuase I feel like it sounds like the humble brag thing, but I have been told by more than a few Koreans that my pronunciation is quite good. I will admit that for new words I struggle at first, but once I have used it a few times I'm pretty set. Plus anyways, it was just saying 배달 and my address which I have done quite a few times. I eventually pulled out my phone and plugged it into translate and she got it. In the end I got my groceries so it's all good. I don't mind that much when people do the blank "She's unintelligible" face because I'm sure that sometimes it isn't quite right, but laughing just doesn't seem very nice. Oh well~

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1758 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
Yeah, much truth in the couple of posts above.

Some people's Korean is quite terrible, verging on unintelligible.

Enjoy "the fatgirl" blog, but her Korean (as well as her English) is hard to understand at times.

It's not an easy language to master.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1759 on: October 20, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
I sometimes think I am far too introverted for my own good.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment