November 19, 2017, 09:16:56 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402340 times)

Online Pecan

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1740 on: October 20, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
Yeah, much truth in the couple of posts above.

Some people's Korean is quite terrible, verging on unintelligible.

Enjoy "the fatgirl" blog, but her Korean (as well as her English) is hard to understand at times.

It's not an easy language to master.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1741 on: October 20, 2016, 12:45:59 PM »
I sometimes think I am far too introverted for my own good.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1742 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:34 PM »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1743 on: October 20, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
I wonder what everyone on here looks like in real life.

I wonder if strangers could correctly guess who the teacher is if I showed a picture of myself with my middle school students. When I go on field trips with the students I sometimes get mistaken for one.  :undecided:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1744 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
To be fair, though, some people's Korean pronunciation is awful.

There's nothing worse than people whose pronunciation is honest-to-goodness bad, who then turn around and say, "Bawwww! The clerk at the restaurant didn't understand what I said - everything is stupid and bad and I don't like it."

Take some personal accountability. Yeah, sometimes even with good pronunciation, people blank when they have a foreigner try to speak to them. It's annoying, but whatever. It's not that common. But most of the time it's because the speaker is absolutely butchering whatever they're trying to say, but isn't willing to check their privilege enough to realize that it might actually be that the way they're saying something is literally difficult to understand.

The fact that most people here won't take the time to try to understand said butchered Korean is the point that I take issue with. Go to a lot of places, and if a tourist who can't English well is trying to get something at a restaurant, most times people will listen and be patient and try to figure out what it is that customer is trying to say. Here people are often like, "WELP BETTER THROW MY HANDS UP - NO POSSIBLE WAY TO COMMUNICATE HERE!" That's super lame. But still. Some people's pronunciation is total butt.
I didn't want to say it in the post becuase I feel like it sounds like the humble brag thing, but I have been told by more than a few Koreans that my pronunciation is quite good. I will admit that for new words I struggle at first, but once I have used it a few times I'm pretty set. Plus anyways, it was just saying 배달 and my address which I have done quite a few times. I eventually pulled out my phone and plugged it into translate and she got it. In the end I got my groceries so it's all good. I don't mind that much when people do the blank "She's unintelligible" face because I'm sure that sometimes it isn't quite right, but laughing just doesn't seem very nice. Oh well~

Yeah. I wasn't directing my comment to you, directly. I get super, super annoyed and flash the stink eye at people when I hear them commenting on my Korean, or literally speaking among each other commenting on the fact that I'm speaking Korean when I'm literally standing next to them. That biz is just rude and unnecessary and people need to get glared at for that.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1745 on: October 20, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

Maybe you're just rude~

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/opinion/sunday/am-i-introverted-or-just-rude.html

Thanks for the reading material.  I'm not rude.  Just introverted.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1746 on: October 20, 2016, 01:18:43 PM »
The science teacher has been passing around some sort of 3D goggle box with his phone inside, playing a video of a roller coaster ride. It's kind of awesome  :laugh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1747 on: October 20, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
To be fair, though, some people's Korean pronunciation is awful.

There's nothing worse than people whose pronunciation is honest-to-goodness bad, who then turn around and say, "Bawwww! The clerk at the restaurant didn't understand what I said - everything is stupid and bad and I don't like it."

Take some personal accountability. Yeah, sometimes even with good pronunciation, people blank when they have a foreigner try to speak to them. It's annoying, but whatever. It's not that common. But most of the time it's because the speaker is absolutely butchering whatever they're trying to say, but isn't willing to check their privilege enough to realize that it might actually be that the way they're saying something is literally difficult to understand.

The fact that most people here won't take the time to try to understand said butchered Korean is the point that I take issue with. Go to a lot of places, and if a tourist who can't English well is trying to get something at a restaurant, most times people will listen and be patient and try to figure out what it is that customer is trying to say. Here people are often like, "WELP BETTER THROW MY HANDS UP - NO POSSIBLE WAY TO COMMUNICATE HERE!" That's super lame. But still. Some people's pronunciation is total butt.
I didn't want to say it in the post becuase I feel like it sounds like the humble brag thing, but I have been told by more than a few Koreans that my pronunciation is quite good. I will admit that for new words I struggle at first, but once I have used it a few times I'm pretty set. Plus anyways, it was just saying 배달 and my address which I have done quite a few times. I eventually pulled out my phone and plugged it into translate and she got it. In the end I got my groceries so it's all good. I don't mind that much when people do the blank "She's unintelligible" face because I'm sure that sometimes it isn't quite right, but laughing just doesn't seem very nice. Oh well~

Same. All of my Korean friends have said there's nothing strange about my pronunciation and it's quite good. Yet half the time I try to talk to Koreans they give me the blank stare or horrendously "mishear" what I said because they weren't actually listening, just trying to guess what I was going to say. I understand when what I say is grammatically weird, but when I ask 가능해요? and it's misheard as 사랑해요 when in context it makes no sense for me to be saying that....  :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1748 on: October 20, 2016, 01:50:18 PM »

Maybe you're just rude~

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/opinion/sunday/am-i-introverted-or-just-rude.html

Sure. Sorry if I came off as rude. I'm a bit of both.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1749 on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »

Maybe you're just rude~

That's ok.  I was just comparing myself to the Chinese teacher at my school.  She's always smiling, chatty, going over to other teachers and talking to them.  I, on the other hand, have resting sadface, don't do well with small talk, and stay at my desk.  I think I'll make more effort to be social.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:01:57 PM by denimdaze »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1750 on: October 20, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »

Maybe you're just rude~

That's ok.  I was just comparing myself to the Chinese teacher at my school.  She's always smiling, chatty, going over to other teachers and talking to them.  I, on the other hand, have resting sadface, don't do well with small talk, and stay at my desk.  I think I'll make more effort to be social.

Could be worse. Could be an RBF  :lipsrsealed:

Cheer up  8)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1751 on: October 21, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
My sun butter got clumpy. :(

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1752 on: October 21, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »

What even does this mean? Is sun butter like body butter?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1753 on: October 21, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »

What even does this mean? Is sun butter like body butter?

I think she's talking about sunflower butter (like peanut butter, but made out of sunflower seeds instead).

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1754 on: October 21, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
A new student has joined my morning class.  Nothing weird about that.  But...

In the morning at around 7:30 he comes to the teachers' office, gets himself a coffee and kicks back chatting with the other teacher who's usually around at that time.

It just seems...weird.  I mean, relaxing in the teachers' office and drinking our coffee feels a little bit too...familiar/casual for a student.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1755 on: October 21, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

In the morning at around 7:30 he comes to the teachers' office, gets himself a coffee and kicks back chatting with the other teacher who's usually around at that time.

It just seems...weird.  I mean, relaxing in the teachers' office and drinking our coffee feels a little bit too...familiar/casual for a student.

That does seem weird... lol Are you at a high school??

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1756 on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »

Haha doesn't it!!  Yea it's a high school.  Maybe he knows the other teacher from a previous school or something but still there should be some boundaries  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1757 on: October 21, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »

Haha doesn't it!!  Yea it's a high school.  Maybe he knows the other teacher from a previous school or something but still there should be some boundaries  :laugh:

Are you sure he's a student? Maybe he's a spy in disguise!  :shocked:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1758 on: October 21, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
I was inspecting the goods on the snack table in the teachers' office when a coworker comes up and says:

"Don't think. Just eat."

He then proceeds to put one of everything into my hands.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1759 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
You have some of the cutest KTs at your school. Makes me jealous.

I think I'm going to walk for about 4-5 hours after work today. Now I just have to decide on a few destinations to make that happen because I can't just walk to walk (even though that's usually why I'm doing it).

Wish I could just go hiking after work for that long but it gets dark fast now and, I'll admit, I get scared being on a mountain at night. It's hard to see and I believe in monsters.