November 19, 2017, 10:19:50 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402696 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1700 on: October 18, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
It's always strange when the co-teachers pick pop songs to sing in class. Hearing a bunch of ten year olds yelling

Who cares if we're trashed, got a pocket full of cash we can blow oh oh oh,
Shots of patron,
And it's on, girl.

I imagine they go home and ask their parents what "Dancing Juice" is.
At my first school, there was an English singing festival. We did that song and some Maroon 5 song which also was not that great. After the students had already memorized them, my CoT decided to ask me if the songs were ok.

I don't wanna play no games
You don't gotta be afraid
Don't give me all that shy shit
No make-up on
That's my

Sugar

We did this song. Oi vey.

We also did both in my school. Is that weird? Why are schools are copying each other?

Anyway, to be fair, Korean kids usually have pretty innocent minds and it's usually the radio edit of the songs. :)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1701 on: October 18, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »
These days, I feel like yirgacheffe, moonbrie, and CO2 are the best reasons to keep coming back to Waygook.

Thanks, Mister.

I have some like 2.5 - 3 year old 누룩. Will it still be decent if I try to make some mack? My 찹쌀 is like 2 years old, too. And my yeast is like 3 years old. But it's been in the fridge.

Do I need to buy new stuff, or can I just use this old stuff that I never got around to using?  I need fall mack.

You could give it a shot but I wouldn't expect it to A) ferment (at all or properly) and B) taste alright. That's a long damn time. My general rule for nuruk is a year, and you're well past that. The rice might be okay, if it was sealed and dry.

I'd make a simple danyangju with 100g of steamed chapssal/100 ml of good water and 15g of your nuruk just to see what happens. Won't take too long to prep and you can see what happens. Don't use the yeast, because then you can control for just the nuruk.

Keep me updated, I'm interested to see what happens with your ancient brewing supplies. hahaha

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1702 on: October 18, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
These days, I feel like yirgacheffe, moonbrie, and CO2 are the best reasons to keep coming back to Waygook.

Thanks, Mister.

I have some like 2.5 - 3 year old 누룩. Will it still be decent if I try to make some mack? My 찹쌀 is like 2 years old, too. And my yeast is like 3 years old. But it's been in the fridge.

Do I need to buy new stuff, or can I just use this old stuff that I never got around to using?  I need fall mack.

You could give it a shot but I wouldn't expect it to A) ferment (at all or properly) and B) taste alright. That's a long damn time. My general rule for nuruk is a year, and you're well past that. The rice might be okay, if it was sealed and dry.

I'd make a simple danyangju with 100g of steamed chapssal/100 ml of good water and 15g of your nuruk just to see what happens. Won't take too long to prep and you can see what happens. Don't use the yeast, because then you can control for just the nuruk.

Keep me updated, I'm interested to see what happens with your ancient brewing supplies. hahaha

Okay. 100 / 15 ratio? I'll give that a shot tonight or tomorrow.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1703 on: October 18, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

Yeah, there are more complicated recipes but a simple single fermentation is even steamed rice and water. Usually I'd say use 10 percent nuruk to rice ratio but it's old so I'm suggesting you jack it up a bit to 15.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1704 on: October 18, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

dang my second compliment about my internet posts, I feel so validated

now to post another rant about the same teacher in the ranting thread!

(today has been pretty shit so I wasn't being sarcastic in saying that I appreciate your words lol)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1705 on: October 18, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

dang my second compliment about my internet posts, I feel so validated

now to post another rant about the same teacher in the ranting thread!

(today has been pretty shit so I wasn't being sarcastic in saying that I appreciate your words lol)

I'm honored to be included although I'm not really sure why I've been included :laugh: Thanks for that!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1706 on: October 18, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Also, moonbrie, your co-T sounds like a different kind of special lol

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1707 on: October 18, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »

Thanks, Mister.

Yeah, there are more complicated recipes but a simple single fermentation is even steamed rice and water. Usually I'd say use 10 percent nuruk to rice ratio but it's old so I'm suggesting you jack it up a bit to 15.

Aight. Yeah. Three or four years ago I was all about brewing mack, but I never was scientific enough to keep notes, monitor temperatures accurately, etc (I'm a liberal arts major, yup) so it was always a crapshoot. For every two good batches, I'd get one off batch, and even when they were good, they never tasted the same. Do you use a 항아리 or a glass or plastic jar? I always used a 항아리, because I wanted to be 'authentic.'

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1708 on: October 18, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
Aight. Yeah. Three or four years ago I was all about brewing mack, but I never was scientific enough to keep notes, monitor temperatures accurately, etc (I'm a liberal arts major, yup) so it was always a crapshoot. For every two good batches, I'd get one off batch, and even when they were good, they never tasted the same. Do you use a 항아리 or a glass or plastic jar? I always used a 항아리, because I wanted to be 'authentic.'

I have a hangari (12L) and 10 5L plastic ones.

One of the great things about makgeolli is that it's never the same. A true living beverage.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1709 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:55 AM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1710 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »
Secretary is in the hospital again. Fourth time this year.  :sad:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1711 on: October 19, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »

That's too bad. Is this the same person who broke the same ankle twice in the same year?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1712 on: October 19, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »

That's too bad. Is this the same person who broke the same ankle twice in the same year?

Yep. Turns out I was mistaken; the second time was some kind of Achilles tendon injury but she had a foot brace and crutches like when she broke her ankle so I thought it was the same thing. The third and fourth times? Achilles tendon issues. Yikes

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1713 on: October 19, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »

Yep. Turns out I was mistaken; the second time was some kind of Achilles tendon injury but she had a foot brace and crutches like when she broke her ankle so I thought it was the same thing. The third and fourth times? Achilles tendon issues. Yikes

Wow, I hope she manages to make a full recovery this time. I'm wondering if she might have to have surgery since this is a recurring issue.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1714 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »

Wow, I hope she manages to make a full recovery this time. I'm wondering if she might have to have surgery since this is a recurring issue.

I think she's had surgery twice on it already  :sad: I happened to be with her when things went to shite the second time (she was very kindly giving me a lift since I was headed to the same destination). Of course she would get stuck with the foreigner who hardly speaks Korean when an emergency happens (and she speaks about as much English as I speak Korean). She made a pit stop for something then came back to the car and her foot was just bleeding through the bandaging :huh: Fortunately a family member was able to come get her but yikes..

I suspect she might have to have surgery on it for the third time...

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1715 on: October 19, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »
I think she's had surgery twice on it already  :sad: I happened to be with her when things went to shite the second time (she was very kindly giving me a lift since I was headed to the same destination). Of course she would get stuck with the foreigner who hardly speaks Korean when an emergency happens (and she speaks about as much English as I speak Korean). She made a pit stop for something then came back to the car and her foot was just bleeding through the bandaging :huh: Fortunately a family member was able to come get her but yikes..

I suspect she might have to have surgery on it for the third time...

That's terrible. I hope it works out this time.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but I just found this and it's something you should think about.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1716 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
 :laugh: I would need quite the wee little figurine, for my mini drone. Ooohh I should find Pokemon miniatures and fly them around!!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1717 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
Experienced my first Korean stick-transmission taxi cab this morning. This is also the first Korean cab driver I've seen who actually knew how to navigate through traffic efficiently without trying to give me a stop-and-go play-by-play of The Fast and the Furious.

Coincidence?
I think about this when I drive usually.  I like driving an automatic here but it does seem quite a lazy way to drive and more like driving on Gran Turismo on the playstation, than real driving.  If people had to change up and down to stop the car from stalling when driving then maybe they would be more careful when they drive.  Or maybe Koreans would just stall the whole time.  There is also no skill in traffic light racing here  :-[

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1718 on: October 19, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »

Coincidence?

Dang. Never had a stick cab before.

Has anyone ever had a taxi take them on a long-ish distance ride in Seoul without using their navigation system? I had a guy drive me from one side of the city to the other all the way to my doorstep without turning on his navi or getting lost at all. Was the fastest ride I'd ever had between those two places, also.

YoungMin

« Reply #1719 on: October 19, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »

Coincidence?
I think about this when I drive usually.  I like driving an automatic here but it does seem quite a lazy way to drive and more like driving on Gran Turismo on the playstation, than real driving.  If people had to change up and down to stop the car from stalling when driving then maybe they would be more careful when they drive.  Or maybe Koreans would just stall the whole time.  There is also no skill in traffic light racing here  :-[

I find that if you let the impatient drivers crawl half way over the crosswalk on a red light they keep nudging it forward and forward waiting for it to turn green and then by the time it actually turns green they have their foot on the brake cos they can't see the green light cos they've crept forward too far to see the lights change and then you just gun it past them as soon as it turns green. I usually throw in a 'what a bellend' head shake as I drive by.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:34:32 PM by AgentMichaelScarn »