September 21, 2017, 09:38:03 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353178 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1500 on: October 07, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
I have to edit essays, which I actually like doing, but my god I just want to shred some of them out of frustration. How do you even start with a sentence like "For a book than anyone who did not read at all, the more other people have more of a conversation piece in a dialogue with people who read book, and be a hundred copies of us have read a variety..." and it just goes on.  :sad:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1501 on: October 07, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »
I have to edit essays, which I actually like doing, but my god I just want to shred some of them out of frustration. How do you even start with a sentence like "For a book than anyone who did not read at all, the more other people have more of a conversation piece in a dialogue with people who read book, and be a hundred copies of us have read a variety..." and it just goes on.  :sad:

Haaaah, I remember these. So glad this isn't me at the moment.

Looks like a copy/paste from a translation software.

It's so bad that it would be easier to rewrite it than to edit it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1502 on: October 07, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
So we actually have teacher's workshop today for like... the 2nd time all year (all other occasions got canceled for one reason or another). My coT is telling me I can do whatever I want but the lack of specificity for something I've never done before (the first workshop we just introduced ourselves) actually is less helpful than just telling me what to do.

I know I'm probably taking it more seriously than I ought (which I'm sure she thinks as well) but I still feel some pressure finding something interesting enough to talk about for 90 straight minutes. For me, it's nice to have examples of how something is done before deviating and doing whatever.

Time to research topics and articles... wonder if that "no gift over x amount of won" would still be of interest of if it's old hat already (I know teachers have been discussing it in Korean already). Maybe it'd be easier for them to discuss in English since they've already talked it to death in Korean? Suppose I can find a handful of articles and let them pick one to read before discussing? Read more if time allows?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:06:09 AM by yirj17 »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1503 on: October 07, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
Looks like a copy/paste from a translation software.

Which is exactly what it is. I've gotten to the point where I just hand these back and tell them to try again. If a student (typically adult student) can't be arsed to do anything more than plug their Korean into Google Translate and hand me the results, then I can't be arsed to try and make it make sense. It teaches them nothing and makes me lose my mind.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1504 on: October 07, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
... because the Mods love me more than the rest of you.*  :smiley:

*Despite the several month-long account suspensions :(

Or... maybe the mods hate you more than the rest of us. :evil: :P
I feel that the MODS need to weigh in on this very important matter!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1505 on: October 07, 2016, 11:11:17 AM »
My class load just got shortened by one more today cuz the students have to practice their dances for a school festival on Monday. Hooray. If only it was the class I didn't like...

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1506 on: October 07, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
... because the Mods love me more than the rest of you.*  :smiley:

*Despite the several month-long account suspensions :(

Or... maybe the mods hate you more than the rest of us. :evil: :P
I feel that the MODS need to weigh in on this very important matter!

Very important matter for a very important person.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1507 on: October 07, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
Some teachers in the office must be very bored today. There are currently two mini drones flying around the office  :laugh: :laugh:

Friday funday!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1508 on: October 07, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »
I watched the new Louis Theroux: Savile documentary last night.  That was uncomfortable viewing at times.

I wonder if there's ever been a scandal of that scale in Korea?  Particularly posthumous revelations (and confirmation of long time rumours) like we saw with Savile.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1509 on: October 07, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
I've been doing this secret handshake class (courtesy of waygook) the past two days since we only had two days of class this week between red days and the typhoon. I've enjoyed doing it and most of the kids have too, but I've really wanted to teach it to some of the high-level students because I think they would have even more fun with it (feel more comfortable being creative because they're not like "oh no how will I write this down later") but my one and only high level class I was going to get to do it with was just stolen away by their teacher ("do you mind if I take this class" stuff)

Sigh. At least this means I don't have any classes after 4th period.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1510 on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
I wonder if there's ever been a scandal of that scale in Korea?  Particularly posthumous revelations (and confirmation of long time rumours) like we saw with Savile.

This is something I can never understand.  There were all those things said by Elijah Wood recently about Hollywood parties which have pedophile rings hanging around and how parents may be relaxed about things, if it makes their kids famous, is just wrong and shows it still happens.  With regards to Korea, I would hate to be a Korean woman hoping to make it big on TV because I am sure there are similar 'things' they have to go through with TV bosses, if they want to be famous.  TV is totally messed up.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1511 on: October 07, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
Why is it if you work hard all week teaching, that Friday glass of red wine tastes so much better than weeks where your students have self study or tests and you have less to do?  :sad:

YoungMin

« Reply #1512 on: October 07, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Why is it if you work hard all week teaching, that Friday glass of red wine tastes so much better than weeks where your students have self study or tests and you have less to do?  :sad:

Bit early for the wine Dave isn't it?  :P

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1513 on: October 07, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »

Bit early for the wine Dave isn't it?  :P

There is a reason I wore a burgundy-coloured sweater today.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1514 on: October 07, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »
I want to know why some user names are orange or otherwise colored differently than most. Someone please solve this mystery

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1515 on: October 07, 2016, 03:24:08 PM »
I've been doing this secret handshake class (courtesy of waygook) the past two days since we only had two days of class this week between red days and the typhoon. I've enjoyed doing it and most of the kids have too, but I've really wanted to teach it to some of the high-level students because I think they would have even more fun with it (feel more comfortable being creative because they're not like "oh no how will I write this down later") but my one and only high level class I was going to get to do it with was just stolen away by their teacher ("do you mind if I take this class" stuff)

That sounds interesting... did you just search secret handshake?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1516 on: October 07, 2016, 03:25:44 PM »

This is something I can never understand.  There were all those things said by Elijah Wood recently about Hollywood parties which have pedophile rings hanging around and how parents may be relaxed about things, if it makes their kids famous, is just wrong and shows it still happens.  With regards to Korea, I would hate to be a Korean woman hoping to make it big on TV because I am sure there are similar 'things' they have to go through with TV bosses, if they want to be famous.  TV is totally messed up.
I have absolutely nothing to back it up cuz I don't remember any of the people's names involved (so I can't properly google it), but I did hear that that is a big part of the industry. There were some PD's that made sleeping with them basically a requirement if they wanted to go far in the entertainment scene.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1517 on: October 07, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »

That sounds interesting... did you just search secret handshake?

I think I just found it while trolling the middle school lesson plans board. It's been pretty successful.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1518 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
I want to know why some user names are orange or otherwise colored differently than most. Someone please solve this mystery

Literally, I don't know why.

I've been trying for years to figure it out, too.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1519 on: October 07, 2016, 04:32:35 PM »
cot came over to ask me a grammar/sentence structure question

:cheesy: : is "I agree the use of cellphones in school" ok?
 :undecided: : absolutely not
 :cheesy: : is there a way to use "I agree" and have it be correct?
 :undecided: : well yeah you can write something like "I agree that students should be allowed to use cellphones in school" but that's way too complicated
 :cheesy: : that's what I thought too
 :cheesy: : what about "I agree about..."
 :undecided: : no
 :cheesy: : I'm actually asking for my friend, she's planning to do a lesson on debating and she sent me her plan but she wanted the students to use this phrase and it looked awkward to me. She really wants to have them use "I agree"
 :undecided: : Just tell her what I taught the kids in our class: that you only use "I agree" after a statement, not a question
 :cheesy: : (laughing) she just sent me another text, can you use "I agree on..." ?
 :undecided: : no
 :cheesy: : that's what I thought

Random friend of my teacher, stop trying to make sentences work that don't work!!! and for the love of god don't teach these horrendous sentence structures to your students!!! lol

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment