November 19, 2017, 11:56:11 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402781 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1500 on: October 07, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
I want to know why some user names are orange or otherwise colored differently than most. Someone please solve this mystery

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1501 on: October 07, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
I've been doing this secret handshake class (courtesy of waygook) the past two days since we only had two days of class this week between red days and the typhoon. I've enjoyed doing it and most of the kids have too, but I've really wanted to teach it to some of the high-level students because I think they would have even more fun with it (feel more comfortable being creative because they're not like "oh no how will I write this down later") but my one and only high level class I was going to get to do it with was just stolen away by their teacher ("do you mind if I take this class" stuff)

Sigh. At least this means I don't have any classes after 4th period.
That sounds interesting... did you just search secret handshake?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1502 on: October 07, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »
I wonder if there's ever been a scandal of that scale in Korea?  Particularly posthumous revelations (and confirmation of long time rumours) like we saw with Savile.

This is something I can never understand.  There were all those things said by Elijah Wood recently about Hollywood parties which have pedophile rings hanging around and how parents may be relaxed about things, if it makes their kids famous, is just wrong and shows it still happens.  With regards to Korea, I would hate to be a Korean woman hoping to make it big on TV because I am sure there are similar 'things' they have to go through with TV bosses, if they want to be famous.  TV is totally messed up.
I have absolutely nothing to back it up cuz I don't remember any of the people's names involved (so I can't properly google it), but I did hear that that is a big part of the industry. There were some PD's that made sleeping with them basically a requirement if they wanted to go far in the entertainment scene.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1503 on: October 07, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
I've been doing this secret handshake class (courtesy of waygook) the past two days since we only had two days of class this week between red days and the typhoon. I've enjoyed doing it and most of the kids have too, but I've really wanted to teach it to some of the high-level students because I think they would have even more fun with it (feel more comfortable being creative because they're not like "oh no how will I write this down later") but my one and only high level class I was going to get to do it with was just stolen away by their teacher ("do you mind if I take this class" stuff)

Sigh. At least this means I don't have any classes after 4th period.
That sounds interesting... did you just search secret handshake?

I think I just found it while trolling the middle school lesson plans board. It's been pretty successful.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1504 on: October 07, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »
cot came over to ask me a grammar/sentence structure question

:cheesy: : is "I agree the use of cellphones in school" ok?
 :undecided: : absolutely not
 :cheesy: : is there a way to use "I agree" and have it be correct?
 :undecided: : well yeah you can write something like "I agree that students should be allowed to use cellphones in school" but that's way too complicated
 :cheesy: : that's what I thought too
 :cheesy: : what about "I agree about..."
 :undecided: : no
 :cheesy: : I'm actually asking for my friend, she's planning to do a lesson on debating and she sent me her plan but she wanted the students to use this phrase and it looked awkward to me. She really wants to have them use "I agree"
 :undecided: : Just tell her what I taught the kids in our class: that you only use "I agree" after a statement, not a question
 :cheesy: : (laughing) she just sent me another text, can you use "I agree on..." ?
 :undecided: : no
 :cheesy: : that's what I thought

Random friend of my teacher, stop trying to make sentences work that don't work!!! and for the love of god don't teach these horrendous sentence structures to your students!!! lol

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1505 on: October 07, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
Just add "with"...

"I agree with the use of cellphones in school."

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1506 on: October 07, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
to me, personally, that still sounds weird. "I agree with you" or "I agree with your point" don't sound off, but a long phrase like that sounds strange

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1507 on: October 07, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Could one not also say "on"? Such as, "I agree on the use of cellphones in school."

What was the initial question? "Do you agree .... use of cellphones in school?"

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1508 on: October 07, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »
"the use of"= allowing

Allowing is too "high level", so the use of is ok, no?

"I agree with allowing cellphones in school."

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1509 on: October 07, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »
I do think using "with" sounds better. Would using "on" be incorrect though?

I feel like "on" implies, "I agree on [the subject of] the use of cellphones in school." It sounds clunky & weird but is it technically incorrect?

"I agree on [allowing] cellphones in school." ???

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1510 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
You can "agree on" where to go, etc., but isn't this "agreeing with" a policy that has already been established?

It isn't the same thing, is it?

We need to "agree on" where to meet this weekend is different to "agree with"...one you have control over, while the other, you do not.

Enjoy your weekend.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1511 on: October 07, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »
It all starts to sound wonky in my head when I overthink it. I like googling things to make sure but it's always nice to ask an actual person. Thanks for the grammar tuneup.

Cheers & a good weekend to you.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1512 on: October 07, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »
Of course it depends on the question it's in response to, but the initial question is "What do you think of etc etc" in which case it's really not ok (to my intuition, at least)

I did tell her that if the question is "Do you agree with etc etc" then you could potentially answer that way, but not if it's the former.

Sometimes there are sentences that sound like they could be correct in a technical sense which are really clunky and I just say they're wrong. I feel like the goal of language education should be first to teach them how to communicate in a way that doesn't make the listener turn their head and go huh?? even if they can technically understand
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:28:34 PM by moonbrie »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1513 on: October 07, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
It really depends on the question, for sure!

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1514 on: October 07, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
I like that the happiness thread is never on the main page anymore

YoungMin

« Reply #1515 on: October 07, 2016, 02:52:59 PM »
Quite fancy some lemoncurd on toast but good luck finding that within a 1000 miles of me scratcher.

Offline SmallBaguette

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1516 on: October 07, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »
Did that white man liking Asian women thread get deleted?

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1517 on: October 07, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
I want to know why some user names are orange or otherwise colored differently than most. Someone please solve this mystery

Literally, I don't know why.

I've been trying for years to figure it out, too.

would guess it's got something to do with your post count. most forums have something like this. rep, or rank, or stars, or different names depending on how many posts you've made.

YoungMin

« Reply #1518 on: October 07, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »
Did that white man liking Asian women thread get deleted?

You're god damn right.  8)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1519 on: October 07, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »
Quite fancy some lemoncurd on toast but good luck finding that within a 1000 miles of me scratcher.

Home plus has it. (at least in Cheongju last week it did)