September 21, 2017, 09:38:06 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353179 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1320 on: September 23, 2016, 05:53:22 PM »
I'm feeling super uninspired for my review game for next week. I've looked up all kinds of ideas and lots of them are good, but I'm having trouble coming up with enough review questions for any of the formats.

ugh

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1321 on: September 23, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
My question for everyone is: how do you pronounce the word 'vase'? Does it make a difference if you say it in isolation versus in a sentence? What about 'vase' versus 'flower vase' for example? Same? Different?? :blank:
Depends on who I'm talking to. If it's an American, I say "v-aw-se" because I know it will piss them off. If I'm talking to a Commonwealther, I say "v-aye-se" because I know it will jolly well irk them.
Simple pleasure.  :smiley:

Note to self: learn the International Phonetic Alphabet.

Offline AlexAlex85

• Adventurer
« Reply #1322 on: September 23, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

I don't think it will appear in the Recent Lesson Plans section so I wanted to let you know I've uploaded a lot of non textbook lessons that I've used at my low level high school.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,100966.0.html

They might be suitable for middle school too.  The material is fairly simple.

Have a nice weekend everyone  8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:15:59 PM by AlexAlex85 »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1323 on: September 24, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
This little conversation from the ranting thread got me thinking, but it's not a rant, so I'm replying here. :P

One of my co-teachers last year actually tried to correct my pronunciation one time in the middle of class. :rolleyes: I didn't even bother telling her how stupid that was; I think the look I gave her was enough to get the message across.

I was once told that it's incorrect to pronounce the 't' in 'badminton,' and that it should be pronounced 'badmin'on' with a glottal stop. I disagreed, and she said "You don't know because you didn't study this. You're just going by your instinct as a native speaker."

Wrap your head around that.

To be completely honest, I don't think anyone around me has ever pronounced it without the 't'... Your KT is stupid.

I've literally never heard it pronounced without the 't'. I mean, people don't always enunciate it well, but ain't nobody saying 'Gonna go play me some badminon.'

Anyways. These days my coteachers are rad. So, everything #based. My ring is a mansion.

I sometimes call it badmington by mistake. :P My elementary students picked up on that really quick this year (as I have a few students that love badminton) and had a good laugh at me. I had a laugh at myself as well, but quickly turned it around to make it into a life lesson about it being okay to make mistakes.
I have no idea why I do that though haha.

The other day during class, I was having the kids repeat after me and I said a word in a pronunciation that they weren't used to, apparently. No one said anything, but the kids were visibly confused and we all ended up laughing about it anyway.

My question for everyone is: how do you pronounce the word 'vase'? Does it make a difference if you say it in isolation versus in a sentence? What about 'vase' versus 'flower vase' for example? Same? Different?? :blank:

I was once told that if it costs more thsn $100, you use the snootier pronunciation.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1324 on: September 24, 2016, 01:57:50 PM »
Am I alone in prounouncing badminton without the first N? I would always say bad-mitten growing up, and only learned to correct it here in korea. A search for 'badminton' in the dictionary reveals that 'badmin'on' is an acceptable if not widespread pronunciation of the word~

Offline ADB123

• Veteran
« Reply #1325 on: September 24, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
Is anybody living rurally and having a hard time or need some inspiration? I made a video for you on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2CliQn7N8&index=2&list=PLgqA9zfXpAPLAgFS7W1AR2cAzGUiSxkEa

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1326 on: September 24, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »
Am I alone in prounouncing badminton without the first N? I would always say bad-mitten growing up, and only learned to correct it here in korea. A search for 'badminton' in the dictionary reveals that 'badmin'on' is an acceptable if not widespread pronunciation of the word~

As a kid, it was always "bammington" to me....

Not saying I was right, just how I thought it was.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1327 on: September 25, 2016, 01:57:41 AM »
As a kid, it was always "bammington" to me....

Not saying I was right, just how I thought it was.

Sounds like Bamm Bamm's rich cousin from Bel Air.

It's all right; not all of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1328 on: September 25, 2016, 03:34:27 AM »

It's hard to tell donovan, but I feel like I pronounced it the same way as you. However, the more I say the word, the more I realize after the 'bad' part, the rest of it is just a clusterfuck of pronunciation that could only belong to a native speaker.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1329 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »
It's all right; not all of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths.
Born with a silver spoon in the mouth, and never having bothered to remove it.
Now *that* might explain some of the more... ... 'exotic' pronunciations mentioned here...
 :wink:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1330 on: September 26, 2016, 10:42:15 AM »
I'm definitely one of those who always said "Badmitten". But then I think I only played the game once in my life. Also I would have spelled it wrong as well.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1331 on: September 26, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »
I for one, want to know why we are teaching the kids to say "badminton" in the first place. Is it that popular of a sport in Korea? Do Koreans think all English speakers play it? It's not one of the major sports in the States (as in "Hey it's badminton season"/ "I've got to watch the badminton finals tonight.") It seems a little random.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1332 on: September 26, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
I for one, want to know why we are teaching the kids to say "badminton" in the first place. Is it that popular of a sport in Korea? Do Koreans think all English speakers play it? It's not one of the major sports in the States (as in "Hey it's badminton season"/ "I've got to watch the badminton finals tonight.") It seems a little random.
It's far more widespread here in Korea than it is in North America.
All of my middle-school students play it regularly during their gym classes, and I'm guessing it's the same in other schools as well..
Also, I've been to several  sports events where teachers from different schools compete in various sports. Invariably, the 2 featured sports are volleyball and bad-mitten.
Likewise with ping-pong: it's far more popular in Asia than it is in North America.

What's random to one is bread-and-butter (rice-and-kimchi) to another. :undecided:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1333 on: September 26, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »

I used to play it as a kid, though probably as badly as I pronounced it :-[

I think it's more because it is wildly popular here, at least with married couples in their forties wearing matching uniforms.  I was recruited to join my school's badmitten team as we are lacking in male teachers; it was an incredibly intense experience.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1334 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
On Saturday, I walked from Uiwang Stn down the west side of the lake, down HwanggujiCheon, to GweonseonRo and then East to Suwon Station. 12km

Yesterday, my buddy and I climbed the whole DaeRyongSan (900m) course in Chuncheon. 8.5km

Why do I do this to myself?
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1335 on: September 26, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »

Meh. I think it's fair enough. It's popular in Asia and it's a sport they are likely to play. So as far as describing what games they like etc it's nor bad. Plus it's phonetically written so it's good practice.

Don't forget that popularity is subjective particularly from an American perspective. Most of the world loves soccer and calls it football. More or less no one plays NFL. Baseball is well known but not played much and basketball is global.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1336 on: September 26, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »
I hate the feeling of someone ignoring or avoiding me on purpose. It gives me bad anxiety.  Facebook puts that fear into me too often. I hate that facebook will show someone is online when they actually aren't. I have definitely gotten angry at people for ignoring me but they werent actually online... oops

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1337 on: September 26, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
I took the Pottermore patronus quiz, and I got a blackbird!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1338 on: September 26, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
Haha, I got the Calico Cat.

Why not.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1339 on: September 26, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »

I pronounce it with all of the letters--'bad-min-ton'--but I'm starting to wonder if I've always pronounced it like that or if I just think I have. This goes for other things that aren't just limited to pronunciation. Like... has "You should get some rest" always sounded mildly awkward to me? Or do I just think that because it sounds awkward in the textbook?? Three years in Korea is starting to affect how I think about certain English phrases and pronunciations.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment