September 27, 2017, 03:18:25 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 357723 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1300 on: September 23, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
I am not sure what to feel right now.

I think for the first time in my life, I feel both empty but strangely fulfilled. 

All the way back in March I got a new box of Korean staples for my stapler.  I looked at the box and it said '5000 pcs'.  Wow!  I thought.  That's a lot. I've never ever finished a box of staples, even back in England, I'd lose a box or never get close to finishing a box of staples. 

But today, I finished my last staple from that box.  The box is now empty.  Maybe reflecting my life.  What to do now?  As it is Friday, I either have a glass of wine later, or have a shuffle into a sock.  Should it be a celebration?  Or a wake?  5000?  So many. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1301 on: September 23, 2016, 11:46:51 AM »
._. It's nice that my new principal is so nice, but it's starting to weird me out a little.

Today's meeting:
- tells me that I need to be active and smile and greet the students more, that my smile is so beautiful but I look so serious most of the time
- asks me why I don't eat the school lunch, says that in Korea we should really eat lunch together
- gives me one of those hotdogs from the bakery and an egg
- mentions how beautiful it would look if I styled my hair a certain way, then does my hair for me
- says she wants me to come down to her office more often
- asks if she can come to my apartment sometime so she can see if I need anything and buy it for me since I'm "like her daughter"

I asked afterwards to the head english teacher if I don't smile enough and she said yes ._. ugh
I was reading these assuming it was a male principal and it was indeed quite weird. But no matter what, the last one is a little odd if you aren't close. And since its the principal, you likely aren't.

Oh yeah, I would be very uncomfortable if she wasn't a woman.

I'm a bit uncomfortable over the whole insistence that I have to smile more. When I asked my boss about it she said "you're a special person in the school so everyone hopes you will smile at them and say hello" I don't think I'm particularly unfriendly, but after you've been working somewhere for several months I feel like it's a bit burdensome to be required to greet every single person you see in the hall... it's not as if I ignore them, I always nod or bow at least....

yay one more thing to be anxious about

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1302 on: September 23, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
Classes canceled at my travel school so I get a day of desk warming at my main school. Have to plan midterms but at least I have a full day to get it done rather than in the time between classes during the week.

Bonus: Students are confused when they see me cause I'm not at this school on Fridays. "Teacher what? Teacher why?"

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1303 on: September 23, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »
._. It's nice that my new principal is so nice, but it's starting to weird me out a little.

Today's meeting:
- tells me that I need to be active and smile and greet the students more, that my smile is so beautiful but I look so serious most of the time
- asks me why I don't eat the school lunch, says that in Korea we should really eat lunch together
- mentions how beautiful it would look if I styled my hair a certain way, then does my hair for me
- asks if she can come to my apartment sometime so she can see if I need anything and buy it for me since I'm "like her daughter"

I asked afterwards to the head english teacher if I don't smile enough and she said yes ._. ugh
I was reading these assuming it was a male principal and it was indeed quite weird. But no matter what, the last one is a little odd if you aren't close. And since its the principal, you likely aren't.

I'm a bit uncomfortable over the whole insistence that I have to smile more. When I asked my boss about it she said "you're a special person in the school so everyone hopes you will smile at them and say hello" I don't think I'm particularly unfriendly, but after you've been working somewhere for several months I feel like it's a bit burdensome to be required to greet every single person you see in the hall... it's not as if I ignore them, I always nod or bow at least....

It sounds like one of those street men. "Hey. you'd be so pretty if you smiled." I think its just the typical wanting to show off the foreigner thing, make sure that everyone feels good. But as long as you are greeting, I think you're fine. I sure as heck never smile at all of them, just the little nod.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1304 on: September 23, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »

Today's meeting:

It sounds like one of those street men. "Hey. you'd be so pretty if you smiled." I think its just the typical wanting to show off the foreigner thing, make sure that everyone feels good. But as long as you are greeting, I think you're fine. I sure as heck never smile at all of them, just the little nod.

Yeah, I definitely got the same feeling re: "showing off the foreigner"

I just asked another coteacher and she said that she noticed yesterday I didn't greet a student who greeted me, and of course it was one of the yellers. I tried to explain that it's really impolite to scream hello at your teacher, and that's probably why I didn't respond, but she just said it was a cultural difference.

Whatever. If they think I'm rude, I'm rude. idgaf. Just one more reason to look forward to leaving haha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1305 on: September 23, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
Reminds me a little of the creep in my main school's admin office. Except he is male and most indubitably a creep. Liked showing me off to new people like a shiny toy and always made comments on my "attractiveness."

Some people are genuinely kind but he is the type of nosy git that only acts nice in order to further his own agenda or expect some favor in return

I hope your principal is the former.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1306 on: September 23, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
I think she is genuinely kind, it's just a bit much especially considering the old principal talked to me like...once o-o

Really gotta ramp the cleaning of my apartment though haha I didn't know how to tell her not to come. I tried the whole "Oh but it's so small, it's not interesting, you don't have to come" but because I'm "like her daughter" she really wants to

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1307 on: September 23, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
Admin guy used to go on about me being like "a younger sister" to him. Lol bruh you way too old and what kinda brother continually makes comments on how "good" his sister looks? Hurk

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1308 on: September 23, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
Ugh, it says that my personal computer's connected to the internet but nothing will load. Wtf is with this evil ****?

The dark overloads of misery and workplace-woe are powerless against the restart button, though.

I dreamed about this last night. This is my life now.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1309 on: September 23, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
Ugh, it says that my personal computer's connected to the internet but nothing will load. Wtf is with this evil ****?

The dark overloads of misery and workplace-woe are powerless against the restart button, though.

I dreamed about this last night. This is my life now.

It could be that the battery in your motherboard is dead and it won't remember the time or date.

I find that if the time is out of whack on my computer, that it won't load a lot of the websites I want to go to.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1310 on: September 23, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »

Today's meeting:

Feeling very thankful my principal usually just reads a paper in his office and probably peaces out at like 11am. But man that "look cheerful" and "smile more" bullshit has got to go. Like uh oh the foreigner appliance is broken.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #1311 on: September 23, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »

I think for the first time in my life, I feel both empty but strangely fulfilled. 

All the way back in March I got a new box of Korean staples for my stapler.  I looked at the box and it said '5000 pcs'.  Wow!  I thought.  That's a lot. I've never ever finished a box of staples, even back in England, I'd lose a box or never get close to finishing a box of staples. 

But today, I finished my last staple from that box.  The box is now empty.  Maybe reflecting my life.  What to do now?  As it is Friday, I either have a glass of wine later, or have a shuffle into a sock.  Should it be a celebration?  Or a wake?  5000?  So many.

I will now destroy your accomplishment and belittle it.  I bet a coworker borrowed a row of staples out of the pack and didn't tell you.   :laugh:  :evil:

Also, what is shuffle into a sock?  Is that a euphemism for solo happy time?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1312 on: September 23, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »
I have such bad anxiety today! I just want to go home  :sad:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1313 on: September 23, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »
I can be very opinionated and I studied political science in uni (that isn't to say I know more than anyone, haha) so I do love a good debate, and I think debating on the internet is very important.

Many people claim this is a waste of time. Don't feed the trolls, it isn't the real world etc.

I disagree. I believe the internet is incredibly important to discussion and communication. It's the new town square. If I set up a debate in front of city hall, who would come? Maybe not many people, and it would be a large endeavor involving many people and many hours of work. It might not be worth the payoff, I'm just K. GrXXX, no one gives a shit.

But, online I'm CO2. In an instant, I can jump into the foray and voice opinions of mine to dozens, or hundreds, thousands, perhaps millions in the right forum or website. And to brush aside debates between the netizens of earth is foolish.

Because, the main point is this. You don't debate anyone, in real life, or here on the net, to change THEIR mind. Do you really think Christopher Hitchens was trying to convert Sharpton, or different pastors to a secular, atheistic worldview? Nonsense.

We debate our views for those in the wings, those onlookers, bystanders and political pundits who don't care to share their voice, but will look on and nod accordingly. For those who aren't the experts, for those who only brushed the surface of a subject or belief and who wish to delve further. You don't debate to change the opponent, you do it to influence the hordes of invisible onlookers that reside in the roots of this great tree we call the web. These are the ones whom your voice will reach and influence. Never forget that.

So, the next time you're debating a troll, or even someone earnest with whom you butt heads on a particular topic, remember that there are those voiceless netizens in the stands, waiting and thinking about what you write. They might just agree with you.

This is why it's so important to  maintain a level head during a debate online. Voice yor opinions, know your shit and get it out succinctly and clearly. Let the other person devolve into "You f**ing retard." "Yeah, you would say that." "Oh, you're American, what would you know?" These things may rile you up but it only hurts their stature in the forum that they're in.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Hodlpu

• Veteran
« Reply #1314 on: September 23, 2016, 04:16:03 PM »
My Fridays are so easy.  2 morning classes, then I just take a nap all day.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1315 on: September 23, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »

I will now destroy your accomplishment and belittle it.  I bet a coworker borrowed a row of staples out of the pack and didn't tell you.   :laugh:  :evil:

Also, what is shuffle into a sock?  Is that a euphemism for solo happy time?

Ah, now come on Kevin!  My 5000 'kids' are all accounted for.  The guy next to me seems a little crestfallen as he is still working through his 5000.  If this was the only thing on my bucket list, I could die a happy man.  But it isn't.  It included experiencing a 5.8 richter scale earthquake sitting on a queen size bed in Korea, which I did a couple of weeks ago.  There is nothing else to look forward to.

8)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1316 on: September 23, 2016, 04:18:36 PM »
This little conversation from the ranting thread got me thinking, but it's not a rant, so I'm replying here. :P

One of my co-teachers last year actually tried to correct my pronunciation one time in the middle of class. :rolleyes: I didn't even bother telling her how stupid that was; I think the look I gave her was enough to get the message across.

I was once told that it's incorrect to pronounce the 't' in 'badminton,' and that it should be pronounced 'badmin'on' with a glottal stop. I disagreed, and she said "You don't know because you didn't study this. You're just going by your instinct as a native speaker."

Wrap your head around that.

To be completely honest, I don't think anyone around me has ever pronounced it without the 't'... Your KT is stupid.

I've literally never heard it pronounced without the 't'. I mean, people don't always enunciate it well, but ain't nobody saying 'Gonna go play me some badminon.'

Anyways. These days my coteachers are rad. So, everything #based. My ring is a mansion.

I sometimes call it badmington by mistake. :P My elementary students picked up on that really quick this year (as I have a few students that love badminton) and had a good laugh at me. I had a laugh at myself as well, but quickly turned it around to make it into a life lesson about it being okay to make mistakes.
I have no idea why I do that though haha.

The other day during class, I was having the kids repeat after me and I said a word in a pronunciation that they weren't used to, apparently. No one said anything, but the kids were visibly confused and we all ended up laughing about it anyway.

My question for everyone is: how do you pronounce the word 'vase'? Does it make a difference if you say it in isolation versus in a sentence? What about 'vase' versus 'flower vase' for example? Same? Different?? :blank:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1317 on: September 23, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »
Had a meeting for speaking tests today. It was pretty routine stuff: They speak Korean most of the time and every few minutes they ask me a question.

Then one of the administrators came in for no apparent reason so I made a joke to myself, "Oh, is she gonna take pictures of us gathered around the table with our heads down, looking all hard-working?"

Sure enough, she takes out her phone and begins snapping away. I love little Pyongyang moments like that.

Offline jupinkorea

• Super Waygook
  • 18:32
« Reply #1318 on: September 23, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
I love little Pyongyang moments like that.

Our first North Korean teacher on the board  :P
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1319 on: September 23, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »

That is a hell of a lot of staples to use. I use probably around 50 a year. What do you use them all on? I am just curious, hahaha.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment