September 20, 2017, 12:37:17 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 351374 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1280 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »
 :huh: Yikes, glad I sprung for a temporary simcard while back home.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1281 on: September 21, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
Just received a water bill with a grand total of... 0.00. My coworker jokingly accused me of not showering and then I remembered that the bulk of that billing period was when I was gone on vacation.

...still doesn't account for the rest of the month though...

I frequently have W 0,000 electric bills, even when not on vacay.  Apparently I just sit in the dark.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1282 on: September 21, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
Just received a water bill with a grand total of... 0.00. My coworker jokingly accused me of not showering and then I remembered that the bulk of that billing period was when I was gone on vacation.

...still doesn't account for the rest of the month though...
Don't worry, next billing cycle will be 200 000W.

Just paid my summer phone bill, it was 200,000w.  Some of that was expected but I stupidly got hit with extreme roaming charges while on vacation.

Just seeing the number makes me angry.  >:(
I just found this out for my last vacation, but you can turn your services off for the time that you are gone so that you don't get those charges. It turns off all SMS and calling capabilities, but if you get wifi, its all fine. So for the month I was gone, I think my bill was 10k. I just called in at the airport to turn it off and back on.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1283 on: September 22, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
I have this really pain in the ass student in one of my low-level classes named Donghun. He actually participates in class sometimes, which is good, but he's a super loud class clown so he's always causing a distraction or just being generally irritating. He was the first student I learned the name of because he's always yelling out "I'm Donghun!!!" in class

Today he came up to me while I was preparing to teach another class, and he asked Teacher, am I handsome? I thought about it for a second and said "Donghun, you're annoying"

He's low-level so he had no idea what it meant, but one of my high-level students who was studying near where we were started laughing. He demanded that she tell him what I said in Korean, and I just said, hey, Donghun, if you actually study English then you'll be able to understand what I say! (Of course, he didn't understand that either, and demanded again to the high-level girl to tell him what I said)

Another student got curious what all the fuss was about and came over and asked me, so I told him, and he burst out laughing too. Donghun got even more flustered but this boy wouldn't tell him the meaning of what I said either, and just laughed at him for being stupid and not studying.

Eventually another student from the sidelines just said simply in Korean to Donghun that what I said has a "not good meaning". The other students who had overheard all confirmed that everyone thinks Donghun is annoying, and I told them about his "I'm Donghun!!!" routine. They said he does that in all his other classes too.

Donghun stalked off with his friend. I almost felt bad for him, but he's seriously such a pain in the ass...and if he had studied his vocab for this chapter he would've known what I said too :p (We learned "annoying" this week)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1284 on: September 22, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
I have this really pain in the ass student in one of my low-level classes named Donghun. He actually participates in class sometimes, which is good, but he's a super loud class clown so he's always causing a distraction or just being generally irritating. He was the first student I learned the name of because he's always yelling out "I'm Donghun!!!" in class

Today he came up to me while I was preparing to teach another class, and he asked Teacher, am I handsome? I thought about it for a second and said "Donghun, you're annoying"

He's low-level so he had no idea what it meant, but one of my high-level students who was studying near where we were started laughing. He demanded that she tell him what I said in Korean, and I just said, hey, Donghun, if you actually study English then you'll be able to understand what I say! (Of course, he didn't understand that either, and demanded again to the high-level girl to tell him what I said)

Another student got curious what all the fuss was about and came over and asked me, so I told him, and he burst out laughing too. Donghun got even more flustered but this boy wouldn't tell him the meaning of what I said either, and just laughed at him for being stupid and not studying.

Eventually another student from the sidelines just said simply in Korean to Donghun that what I said has a "not good meaning". The other students who had overheard all confirmed that everyone thinks Donghun is annoying, and I told them about his "I'm Donghun!!!" routine. They said he does that in all his other classes too.

Donghun stalked off with his friend. I almost felt bad for him, but he's seriously such a pain in the ass...and if he had studied his vocab for this chapter he would've known what I said too :p (We learned "annoying" this week)

I'm far from Teacher of the Year but this honestly seems really mean.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1285 on: September 22, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »

By all means, make the kid feel stupid. That'll teach him.  :rolleyes:

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1286 on: September 22, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »

It does seem mean but I am guilty of letting students get to me so much so that I now regret some things that I have said to them in the past. My first year teaching I had a faily high level class that was really social and just wanted to talk during my lectures. I would constantly have to shout their names out and tell them to be quiet so much so that they too learned the words rude, annoying, and ridiculous.

Not all kids are angels. Looking back on it I wouldn't have called them those things but I can definitely also remember being so frustrated and genuinely angry with them.

HEY AT LEAST I DIDNT PUNCH ANY OF THEM ^^

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1287 on: September 22, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »

It does seem mean but I am guilty of letting students get to me so much so that I now regret some things that I have said to them in the past. My first year teaching I had a faily high level class that was really social and just wanted to talk during my lectures. I would constantly have to shout their names out and tell them to be quiet so much so that they too learned the words rude, annoying, and ridiculous.

Not all kids are angels. Looking back on it I wouldn't have called them those things but I can definitely also remember being so frustrated and genuinely angry with them.

Yeah but to enlist other students to ridicule the kid? Come on.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1288 on: September 22, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »

Just paid my summer phone bill, it was 200,000w.  Some of that was expected but I stupidly got hit with extreme roaming charges while on vacation.

Just seeing the number makes me angry.  >:(
I just found this out for my last vacation, but you can turn your services off for the time that you are gone so that you don't get those charges. It turns off all SMS and calling capabilities, but if you get wifi, its all fine. So for the month I was gone, I think my bill was 10k. I just called in at the airport to turn it off and back on.

Thanks I may try that next time.

I actually got a travel data plan at the SK shop at the airport but I guess I went over the daily limit too often and made a few long distance phone calls which pushed the cost up exponentially. I should've been more careful of course but I was on vacation and I had forgotten my bag of f*cks back here in Korea. I didn't expect it to be that much though.

I'm definitely caring now though, as the summer vaca phone AND credit card bills came in, so be careful out there kids.  :wink:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1289 on: September 22, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »

Nobody is calling kids angels, and sometimes not having control of the classroom is not your fault. But teaching is not about having control of the classroom every second, it's making sure the kids ingest the content of the lesson. If they don't, chances are there was something you should have done differently. Try to improve upon yourself and not let the kids get to you. And remember everything you say around them is an example for them.

Also, nobody's impressed you didn't assault any children.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1290 on: September 22, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »

Yeah sorry Moonbrie I agree, but I imagine you weren't having the best day so benefit of the doubt.

I get it though, sometimes I have some of those kids that I just....I just want to see them like fall over or something, or drop their ice cream.  :laugh:

Anyway, these days I try to understand them. They aren't all massive a-holes and some have genuine problems. I know that's a bit cringey .

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1291 on: September 22, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »

I didn't enlist other students to make fun of him though?

It was weird and got out of control really quickly. I was just poking fun at him (I especially hate when boys ask me if they're handsome at this age, it feels a little gross) but his classmates(? actually I think he's in another class and was hanging out in the classroom during break time) just jumped on it because I guess he's insufferable all of the time, not just in my class.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1292 on: September 22, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »

Yeah I'd be careful about calling kids names or anything like that, even in a joking way cause I'm always surprised what the kids remember and what they don't. Just when I think no one's paying attention they bring up that time 8 months ago when I said something funny/weird/off-topic :huh:

All it takes is one bad comment to reach the wrong parent's ears and then...

I've definitely muttered things under my breath or when my back was turned but to student's faces I'm all sunshine and rainbows. Even if the kid seems to actually BE a real asshole and could use a punch, you never know what someone's home life is like and what they're going through at school. It's also just not worth any of the potential repercussions. We're the adults, we get to go home and have a life!

I think there's a big difference though between saying that someone is rude and saying someone is annoying. I tell students all the time that they're acting rudely (in a calm manner and I never make it personal) if they're acting like little assholes. I would never say a student was annoying though. Criticize the action, not the person. The nuance is probably lost on most of them but it's kept me out of any hot water so far.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1293 on: September 22, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »

Yeah sorry Moonbrie I agree, but I imagine you weren't having the best day so benefit of the doubt.

I get it though, sometimes I have some of those kids that I just....I just want to see them like fall over or something, or drop their ice cream. :laugh:

Anyway, these days I try to understand them. They aren't all massive a-holes and some have genuine problems. I know that's a bit cringey .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To OP, I get that some of the kids are annoying--I have a few students that I'd like to punch all the way back to their homeroom, and trust me, there are days when I lose it and I yell at them, but that's not the same as actively singling someone out and saying things to them that you know they don't understand, whether or not it's their own fault. On top of that, you got other students in on it while talking about that student right in front of him. I'm sure it was just a slip-up this time but you should definitely be more careful and check yourself next time.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1294 on: September 22, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »

I get it though, sometimes I have some of those kids that I just....I just want to see them like fall over or something, or drop their ice cream. :laugh:

To OP, I get that some of the kids are annoying--I have a few students that I'd like to punch all the way back to their homeroom, and trust me, there are days when I lose it and I yell at them, but that's not the same as actively singling someone out and saying things to them that you know they don't understand, whether or not it's their own fault. On top of that, you got other students in on it while talking about that student right in front of him. I'm sure it was just a slip-up this time but you should definitely be more careful and check yourself next time.

I actually legit thought he would know what I said since we literally learned "____ is annoying" ._.

I should've said something like "Donghun, you're loud" but "annoying" was the first thing in my head because I've been teaching it all week :/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:11:51 PM by moonbrie »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1295 on: September 22, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »

I actually legit thought he would know what I said since we literally learned "____ is annoying" ._.

I should've said something like "Donghun, you're loud" but "annoying" was the first thing in my head because I've been teaching it all week :/

Yeah, I get it. I've definitely made fun of my students before, but everyone knows I'm just teasing them and they actually like it for some reason. The students fight to be the one to be teased which I think is kind of weird but at least they're not taking offense. On the other hand, if it starts to escalate like it did in your situation, you have to know when to put a stop to it and let the other students know that it's not okay. It's not so much your word choice as it is how you handled the situation. Like I said, it was probably just a slip-up but you can just keep it in mind if it happens again. We all make mistakes. No big deal.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1296 on: September 22, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »

that's not the same as actively singling someone out and saying things to them that you know they don't understand, whether or not it's their own fault.

She didn't "actively single him out," he approached her on his own between classes.

On top of that, you got other students in on it while talking about that student right in front of him.

She didn't get other students in on it, he did. Moonbrie didn't say anything to the other students, or tell the annoying kid to ask them what she said. He didn't understand, so he asked someone else who happened to be nearby. It was only after several other students (voluntarily) involved themselves that OP mentioned his routine.

I can understand you guys thinking it's wrong to call a student annoying, but there's no need to make things sound worse than they are by twisting things around.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1297 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »

Yeah, I get it. I've definitely made fun of my students before, but everyone knows I'm just teasing them and they actually like it for some reason. The students fight to be the one to be teased which I think is kind of weird but at least they're not taking offense. On the other hand, if it starts to escalate like it did in your situation, you have to know when to put a stop to it and let the other students know that it's not okay. It's not so much your word choice as it is how you handled the situation. Like I said, it was probably just a slip-up but you can just keep it in mind if it happens again. We all make mistakes. No big deal.

Yeah, I'm not particularly good at classroom management...especially when it's not actually class time yet and all the students are running around, wrestling each other, and yelling. If my coteacher had been there she probably would've straightfowardly told him the meaning of the word in Korean and told him to stop bugging me while I was setting up (preventing all that followed), but even though I know it by sound I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1298 on: September 23, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
._. It's nice that my new principal is so nice, but it's starting to weird me out a little.

Today's meeting:
- tells me that I need to be active and smile and greet the students more, that my smile is so beautiful but I look so serious most of the time
- asks me why I don't eat the school lunch, says that in Korea we should really eat lunch together
- gives me one of those hotdogs from the bakery and an egg
- mentions how beautiful it would look if I styled my hair a certain way, then does my hair for me
- says she wants me to come down to her office more often
- asks if she can come to my apartment sometime so she can see if I need anything and buy it for me since I'm "like her daughter"

I asked afterwards to the head english teacher if I don't smile enough and she said yes ._. ugh

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1299 on: September 23, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »
._. It's nice that my new principal is so nice, but it's starting to weird me out a little.

Today's meeting:
- tells me that I need to be active and smile and greet the students more, that my smile is so beautiful but I look so serious most of the time
- asks me why I don't eat the school lunch, says that in Korea we should really eat lunch together
- gives me one of those hotdogs from the bakery and an egg
- mentions how beautiful it would look if I styled my hair a certain way, then does my hair for me
- says she wants me to come down to her office more often
- asks if she can come to my apartment sometime so she can see if I need anything and buy it for me since I'm "like her daughter"

I asked afterwards to the head english teacher if I don't smile enough and she said yes ._. ugh
I was reading these assuming it was a male principal and it was indeed quite weird. But no matter what, the last one is a little odd if you aren't close. And since its the principal, you likely aren't.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment