November 19, 2017, 02:55:47 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402521 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1240 on: September 09, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
Today in class some of my students were talking about how my dress reminded me of a one piece character, but I couldn't catch which character they were talking about. I tried asking but they were embarrassed that I knew what they were talking about haha. Now it's driving me crazy though! I want to know what character I (or my dress) look(s) like!

?

Bahaha that would be great but I doubt it. It's a white dress with washed-out brown red and blue stripes.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1241 on: September 09, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »
Tips for getting pencil off desks easily? Trying to keep my damn classroom clean but the graffiti on the desks is getting ridiculous. Is there any magical substance besides erasing every desk....wet tissues are soso

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1242 on: September 09, 2016, 10:41:07 AM »
Moonbrie, are there textbooks you would recommend for studying Japanese? Just curious.

If you didn't find good Japanese books. I use Japanese from Zero. I like the way things are done in the series. I feel like they are good if you don't know any Japanese at all. I went into them knowing Hiragana and Katakana, so I was able to skip over a little bit. I regret not bringing the first 2 with me to Korea, as I am trying to give myself a refresher before continuing where I left off haha.
I'm onto the 3rd book now. It's helped my reading and writing a bit, but it is difficult to find the time to practice with someone. I generally say the words and stuff as I read/write for my speaking practice.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1243 on: September 09, 2016, 10:44:44 AM »
Tips for getting pencil off desks easily? Trying to keep my damn classroom clean but the graffiti on the desks is getting ridiculous. Is there any magical substance besides erasing every desk....wet tissues are soso

Never tried it, but what about the magic eraser sponge foam thing? I don't remember what they call it here but they normally keep packages of the stuff with the other sponges and green pads.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1244 on: September 09, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
 :P

I wouldn't worry about it. Get the students to do it. Preferably, the ones that did it.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1245 on: September 09, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it. Get the students to do it. Preferably, the ones that did it.

Yeah, if my students have to sit in filth that's their problem.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1246 on: September 09, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »

Ahah yeah it's amazing how quick it disappears when you threaten to keep the kids there til it's all gone.

Offline JenniferNZ1

• Adventurer
« Reply #1247 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
I am lucky in that my school has soap in the washrooms and cleaning cloths in the classroom.  I find a wet/damp cloth with soap on it works well. 

Offline coxy15

• Waygookin
« Reply #1248 on: September 10, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

Students' tears...

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1249 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
So my class got interrupted by a surprise visit from some random sports people from the office of education-- they're scouting out elementary school students (5th and 6th graders) for middle schools.  :huh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1250 on: September 12, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
omg so as I've mentioned before, we have a really nice new principal - very caring, and likes to talk to me a lot (I still get nervous when I get called to her office though). She just came up while I was reading the ranting thread and was looking over my shoulder, but saying "Oh, can you really read it? it's so small!"

Anyways, I  have no plans for chuseok and I was hoping that she might invite me to do something (seemed likely given her personality), and after hearing I have no plans she asked for my phone number!

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1251 on: September 13, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »

Students' tears...

One of my go to punishments is to have the kids clean the desks if they are caught writing on it. Not just their desk but all of them (or as many as they can in that 10 minute break.)

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1252 on: September 13, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »
Happy Tuesday-Friday, everyone!  ;D

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1253 on: September 13, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »
Some of us still have to work on Tuesday robin_teacher  :cry:
Have a good holiday though!

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1254 on: September 13, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
I'm at school right now, but I'm checked-out. Bring it on, students; I'm one step away from having a mojito in my hand.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1255 on: September 13, 2016, 08:13:42 AM »
Tsukiji sushi, we will soon meet.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1256 on: September 13, 2016, 08:52:28 AM »

Students' tears...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:17:33 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1257 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
Most of us have to work on Fridays too, that's why today is like a Friday. After school we're freeeeeee!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1258 on: September 13, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
Most of us have to work on Fridays too, that's why today is like a Friday. After school we're freeeeeee!
What? You're working on the friday? Friday is a red day on my calendar. Insofar as I know, if you work for a public institution, you get the day off. Even most hagwons should be off too (most kids won't be around to make it in).

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #1259 on: September 13, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »
I'm at school right now, but I'm checked-out. Bring it on, students; I'm one step away from having a mojito in my hand.

I feel the same. Ugh! Today is torture. I'm just holding out for the wine waiting for me at the finish line.
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus