November 24, 2017, 03:29:50 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 407649 times)

Online kyndo

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1200 on: September 06, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »
That doesn't sound fun at all.
Au contraire!

My advise would be to spend the day prior covering everything in your home with multiple layers of plastic wrap. Then spend an hour or two cruising through your neighbourhood and bagging as many of those feral cats that you can. Release them in your apartment. Wait for your principal. When you hear her knock, dump a bag of kitty kibbles in the centre of your living room, open the door, and act completely oblivious to the catastrophic mayhem behind you.*

*Note:you may have trouble renewing, afterwards.

Alternatively, clean up your apartment, fix some nice snacks, make some coffee, and score some massive brownie points!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1201 on: September 06, 2016, 12:46:21 PM »
That doesn't sound fun at all.
Au contraire!

My advise would be to spend the day prior covering everything in your home with multiple layers of plastic wrap. Then spend an hour or two cruising through your neighbourhood and bagging as many of those feral cats that you can. Release them in your apartment. Wait for your principal. When you hear her knock, dump a bag of kitty kibbles in the centre of your living room, open the door, and act completely oblivious to the catastrophic mayhem behind you.*

*Note:you may have trouble renewing, afterwards.

Alternatively, clean up your apartment, fix some nice snacks, make some coffee, and score some massive brownie points!

bahahahaha I almost lost it at that.

Ahh yeah if I don't manage to get out of it I should make snacks. Thanks for reminding me haha. I'm not planning on renewing anyways, but if this principal is in fact nicer than the old one, it's good to get her to like me for maximum get-out-of-deskwarming-free potential.

I still haven't met with her. She wanted to before my 4th period class, but was still in a meeting. She then said she would come up to the office during lunch, but I haven't seen hair nor hide of her. My co told me not to worry about going down to see what the situation is; she'll let me know when she wants me.

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #1202 on: September 06, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
I love it when I ask a Korean teacher what we're eating (like a specific thing, not the whole lunch meal obv) and a whole bunch of them look around bewildered and can't answer. hahahaha

You've been eating it for the last 10 mins and you have no idea what you're putting in your mouth????  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

It was 우엉튀김조림 FYI

This happens a surprising amount. Lunch at my school is actually really good but like half the time when I ask what something is, the teachers all have to consult one another before they can come to a consensus as to what it is they are actually eating.

I think this is because the head chef just invents stuff by combining different Korean ingredients. Any time we have something vaguely Western it's always like, potato, cheese and ham in some sort of random combination. I don't actually know most of the time myself.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1203 on: September 06, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »
Quote from: CO2 trylink=topic=88522.msg650229#msg650229 date=1473133385
I love it when I ask a Korean teacher what we're eating (like a specific thing, not the whole lunch meal obv) and a whole bunch of them look around bewildered and can't answer. hahahaha

You've been eating it for the last 10 mins and you have no idea what you're putting in your mouth????  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

It was 우엉튀김조림 FYI

They have a "eat what's presented to you" approach, which I can relate to.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1204 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »
The visit to your home is either to pass judgement or to satisfy her curiosity.

Either way, it's not really a "winnable" situation.

Ages ago, I had this sort of visit (prior to cats and marriage).  I was/am a major neat freak... regularly pulling out major appliances to dust and clean behind them, etc.

The first thing she did was to wipe her hand across the floor near the entry way.

It was spotless, of course, but who does that sort of thing?

It's rude and judgmental.

During the visit, she opened my refrigerator, my cupboards, and my closets!!!

WTF?

Only thing missing from her visit were the white gloves.

Upon her return, she told others at the school, that my place was much cleaner than the previous foreigner, but lacked furnishings and food...

If she saw my place today, she'd probably flip.

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd make a darn good excuse to get out of it.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1205 on: September 06, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »

Orrrrrrrrrrr:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1206 on: September 06, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
Also, since this is pointless ramblings:

I have a facebook friend (who is really just an ex-co-worker, who would have been long forgotten if it wasn't for social media).  She's been pregnant for what feels like 2 years now.  I'm not just saying this as a joke.  I remember sitting on a beach on vacation in the summer of 2013 and first finding out about her pregnancy.  I found it odd that anyone would get her pregnant.  I looked, and apparently I'm not mixing things up.  She didn't already have that kid and is now having another one.  IT'S THE SAME ONE, as far as I can tell!  And she's been "just a few days away!" since about February, so even if I'm wrong your belly isn't giant and you don't pack a bag for the hospital starting in month 4 or 5.  She posts lots and I thought about blocking her, but I really want to see how this plays out.  She posts pics of her belly and the ultrasound and whatnot. She has looked ready to burst since Christmas.  Her close friends and family seem to be really supportive and excited on the messages.  Her bf/husband is has been putting together baby furniture and toys for over a year now. I just wonder if any of these people know how pregnancy works. 

I'm just really confused.  I've had several other friends who have tried to get pregnant, gotten pregnant, had the baby and are now sending that kid off to pre-school in the time this one lady has been carrying around her 'kid'.
Did she ever have that baby?

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1207 on: September 06, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »
Who are these people all over my blinds in my English classroom? I would suspect just stock photography, but there's a big ol' Toronto Dominion (a real Canadian bank) logo next to that guy who really looks like he's actually doing banking and not just posing since he's in shorts and a ball cap and not some generic suit. Do these people know their likenesses are being used in Korea? On blinds?! Also, what's the deal with the picture of a huge, half filled church? The only way I figured out that it was a church was from the hymn lyrics on an overhead projector in the image. There's no context!

I know what you mean. I have one blind that is a map of the world which actually comes in handy, then 3 random blinds of random images. The one over my desk is of "professions" such as "aviator & stewardess" and "office worker" with stock photos. Then the other two are random places like an airport and lake with the ship "Endeavor" on it.

I also have random quotes around my room like: "Impossible? I'm possible!" and "Dream is right in front of you."

And the idioms... I have one blind that must be very outdated, or it could possibly acceptable in Korean culture still. It says:

"A dog is wiser than a woman; it does not bark at its master."
I had someone watch an open class, and that was the only negative thing she pointed out. Then when she came back a year later, she pointed at it again and said "ugh, it's still there."

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1208 on: September 06, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
And the idioms... I have one blind that must be very outdated, or it could possibly acceptable in Korean culture still. It says:

"A dog is wiser than a woman; it does not bark at its master."
I had someone watch an open class, and that was the only negative thing she pointed out. Then when she came back a year later, she pointed at it again and said "ugh, it's still there."

Does this have an accompanying illustration? That would be something to see.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #1209 on: September 06, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
My blinds have quite nice stock photos of street scenes and of children crafting. That dog quote is atrocious! I've never seen anything that awful around, thankfully. There are idioms on display at my school, though they are not on the blinds. Two gems I've seen: "You have to work the talk" and "No pains, no gains".
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #1210 on: September 06, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »
The visit to your home is either to pass judgement or to satisfy her curiosity.

Either way, it's not really a "winnable" situation.

Ages ago, I had this sort of visit (prior to cats and marriage).  I was/am a major neat freak... regularly pulling out major appliances to dust and clean behind them, etc.

The first thing she did was to wipe her hand across the floor near the entry way.

It was spotless, of course, but who does that sort of thing?

It's rude and judgmental.

During the visit, she opened my refrigerator, my cupboards, and my closets!!!

WTF?

Only thing missing from her visit were the white gloves.

Upon her return, she told others at the school, that my place was much cleaner than the previous foreigner, but lacked furnishings and food...

If she saw my place today, she'd probably flip.

I seriously can't believe this. This actually happened? And she compared you to other foreigner, wow.

My old principle used to take me to the local 711 and drink together. Then he'd get so drunk he would pass out and I would have to call his wife.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1211 on: September 06, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »
Yeah, she was with the school admin staff.

They inventoried stuff, which one would think they would do prior to my arrival, but they hadn't cleaned it, either, so not too surprised, really.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1212 on: September 06, 2016, 03:37:06 PM »
Meeting was fine, and she didn't even ask to see my house! She was a real sweetheart. She's worried about me being lonely in Korea and told me to come to her anytime and we can speak Korean and English together. She even said I should visit her house sometime to eat delicious things and meet her cat and dog, then we showed each other pictures of our pets.

I know it's probably just talk, but it's much nicer than our previous principal, who literally just said hello to me on my first day! haha

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1213 on: September 06, 2016, 03:40:52 PM »
You are so lucky.

Congratulations!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1214 on: September 06, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »
You are so lucky.

Congratulations.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1215 on: September 06, 2016, 03:50:45 PM »
Wish my travel schools would agree on how I'm to pay for lunch. At first they wanted me to transfer money directly. Then the deduction for lunches from my main school suddenly jumped up significantly-- I inquired and apparently they had decided to take money directly from my paycheck for all my travel schools without telling me.

As I had already paid my travel schools, my main school basically told me that would be considered "credit" towards future lunches until it balanced out. Which is fine. My coT said it was a good thing I'd said something, otherwise the admin. would have had no idea. Supposedly my main school admin. had talked to the other schools about this; the admin lady is really nice and thought it would be more convenient to just deduct all the lunches from my paycheck rather than me having to pay multiple travel schools all the time.

Today two of my travel coTs asked me about paying for lunches. I told them about what my main school had said and they both expressed surprise. One school checked and cleared it but then said that in the future I should pay them directly. Another school had no idea this was set up. Who is handling finances? Is a random monetary amount from a different school just unnoticeable??

I chatted with my coT about it (admin. lady doesn't speak English) and told her I don't care how I pay for lunches as long as I'm not paying twice. The admin. lady is out until Friday so no answers until then. To my surprise, my coT brought up the situation with the principal, who is apparently now in on the discussion as to how I am to pay for school lunches. Lol

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1216 on: September 06, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
. . .
 The admin. lady is out until Friday so no answers until then.

You hope!

Maybe she left town with all the embezzled lunch money.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1217 on: September 06, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »
Lol no Korean drama, please!

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #1218 on: September 06, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »
Wish my travel schools would agree on how I'm to pay for lunch. At first they wanted me to transfer money directly. Then the deduction for lunches from my main school suddenly jumped up significantly-- I inquired and apparently they had decided to take money directly from my paycheck for all my travel schools without telling me.

As I had already paid my travel schools, my main school basically told me that would be considered "credit" towards future lunches until it balanced out. Which is fine. My coT said it was a good thing I'd said something, otherwise the admin. would have had no idea. Supposedly my main school admin. had talked to the other schools about this; the admin lady is really nice and thought it would be more convenient to just deduct all the lunches from my paycheck rather than me having to pay multiple travel schools all the time.

Today two of my travel coTs asked me about paying for lunches. I told them about what my main school had said and they both expressed surprise. One school checked and cleared it but then said that in the future I should pay them directly. Another school had no idea this was set up. Who is handling finances? Is a random monetary amount from a different school just unnoticeable??

I chatted with my coT about it (admin. lady doesn't speak English) and told her I don't care how I pay for lunches as long as I'm not paying twice. The admin. lady is out until Friday so no answers until then. To my surprise, my coT brought up the situation with the principal, who is apparently now in on the discussion as to how I am to pay for school lunches. Lol

I've also had some problems with paying for lunches. I have three schools and all of them want me to pay differently. When I worked in Seoul they just took it out of my paycheck, but in the smaller cities I guess they have to do things differently.

First they wanted me to pay using bank transfer, buuuuut I guess that changed and I had to go NH and make a special account JUST for school lunches for my main school, and that took a couple hours. They even wanted me to apologize to the administration guy because I guess he tried to get the money out before I even opened the account? :rolleyes: It's the usual Korean bureaucracy "lets do things the hardest way possible."

Also, one of my visiting schools got a new lunch and the lunches are terrible. I was looking around the lunchroom and even the students were making faces, instead of shoving food into their mouths as quickly as they can so they can go play cell phone games.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1219 on: September 08, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »
Almost Friday.

Sometimes I read posts on here and I think they might be someone I know so I search all their posts to gather more clues and then something will throw it off. I've never actually found anyone, I don't think.