November 19, 2017, 11:48:35 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 402773 times)

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1100 on: July 19, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
I will buy an entire fucking forest of mints if it'll keep those devils away.

Careful.  Mods are cracking down on circumventing profanity censors.  It's what set off the whole "chain of events" concerning me last Friday.

...Notice how all the comments by myself, kyndo, robobob9000, yourself, and Chinguetti that were even vaguely mentioning it in this thread have been deleted. :undecided:  I'm assuming this one will be as well, even though it doesn't break the TOS in any way.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1101 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
My summer camp starts tomorrow. I HOPE YOU'RE READY FOR ME, WORLD!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1102 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »

Careful.  Mods are cracking down on circumventing profanity censors.  It's what set off the whole "chain of events" concerning me last Friday.

...Notice how all the comments by myself, kyndo, robobob9000, yourself, and Chinguetti that were even vaguely mentioning it in this thread have been deleted. :undecided:  I'm assuming this one will be as well, even though it doesn't break the TOS in any way.

I didn't notice before but now I do.

I keep trying to get over the 300 post threshold, but it feels like I'll never make it. ;c

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1103 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »

Hey NomadicMadda, it says on my screen underneath your name that you've been 'muted'. What does that mena, do you know? FYI it wasnt anything I did. I've never seen that before so I'm curious.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1104 on: July 19, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »

Hey NomadicMadda, it says on my screen underneath your name that you've been 'muted'. What does that mena, do you know? FYI it wasnt anything I did. I've never seen that before so I'm curious.

It means she's been moderated to a point that she's no longer permitted to post anything for a while.

It's basically an online suspension of posting privileges.

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1105 on: July 19, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »

It shows up when I look at it too. It means she's been muted  :-[

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1106 on: July 19, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »

That's annoying. I guess I'll have to clean up a bit. I see you've been muted sometime between posting this and now (not even half an hour). Hmm...

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
I've become more tolerant of bugs and such critters since living in the countryside but I don't think I'll ever be able to tolerate centipedes [inside my house]. I even had a nice little house spider that I let bum around in a corner because it never left its nest. Sadly I had to move it out because after an ant invasion I decided to spray bug repellent everywhere.

If they're outside, I could care less, but last night I had the joy of discovering a centipede IN my bedroom ceiling light. In horror, I watched it scurry around up there, decided that I didn't want to try removing the light to get it because dear god what if it fell on me or skittered off into some dark corner biding its time until I was asleep or whatever--

Then I remembered I had a can of bug spray. Sprayed all around the perimeter of the light, hoping for death. Centipede started going nuts, dashing all around inside the fixture until eventually ceasing movement altogether.

And there its body shall remain until the end of time.
Or at least until I move out or the light needs changing.

Omg I'm not sure if this is actually true but I've heard about how centipedes are like zombies and their dead bodies actually attract more so you might want to get rid of it.

Whether or not this is true, you just made the hairs on my body stand up. :cry: Also, I'm too scared to actually look it up.

Haha.  Aww, sorry.  I had a horrible infestation in my US apartment.  Centipedes and silverfish.  I'm still not sure exactly the difference but one is fast as hell and the other are slow like they actually want you to kill them.  Let me try to look up if the zombie thing is real.

Reading this made me feel ill and so, naturally I went to google centipedes. This blog post is mostly anecdotal and while it made my skin crawl it made me laugh as well.

http://www.xojane.com/fun/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-house-centipedes

Read at your own risk. My stomach still hurts and now I have phantom bugs running over my toes!!  :laugh: :cry:

Ugh, I wasn't going to look it up myself but I can't resist links. I got the creepies more than the laughs. :cry:
There was one crawling around my room last week. My dog had been making weird noises and looking at something on the floor...I got up from the bed to see a huge one just crawling yuck. I think it took 10 hits with a shoe to kill it    :-[ Apparently mint is a good natural repellent so I'm going to buy some loose peppermint tea  to spread around very inch of the apartment.

Mint really does work! That's what my mom uses back home and when she runs out she uses her vinegar/citrus mix. Just buy a spray bottle and fill it with apple vinegar or white vinegar. You can add lemon peels inside and let it soak in before you spray it everywhere( corners, around the doors, bathroom,etc). I haven't done it in 2 months and that's probably why that centipede got in.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1108 on: July 19, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
Mint really does work! That's what my mom uses back home and when she runs out she uses her vinegar/citrus mix. Just buy a spray bottle and fill it with apple vinegar or white vinegar. You can add lemon peels inside and let it soak in before you spray it everywhere( corners, around the doors, bathroom,etc). I haven't done it in 2 months and that's probably why that centipede got in.

What works better, mint or the vinegar/citrus mix?

I don't really have a problem with the crawlies but I'd like to keep it that way. I'm leaning more towards the mint because I'm afraid of the smell from the vinegar. Is it strong, or does it fade after a while?

And would using mint from a tea bag be good, or do I have to buy some kind of oil or whatever for it to be effective?

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1109 on: July 19, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »
Both work the same but the vinegar/citrus will be easier to start with. Peppermint oil is best to use but the only place I have seen it so far is iherb. We used to have a lot of bugs back home....mainly pregnant spiders that were impossible to get rid of until my mom opted for more natural ways to clean. The smell is strong but after a few minutes it will start to fade. I usually use the apple vinegar because the smell isn't as bad as the white. Mint leaves from tea bags will work too but of course the oil is better. You can open the tea bags and sprinkle it around the edges of your place. Cinnamon powder works best to keep some small bugs away. I had my drawers full of ants and I left a bag of cinnamon powder overnight and they were dead or gone.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1110 on: July 19, 2016, 09:29:45 AM »
Both work the same but the vinegar/citrus will be easier to start with. Peppermint oil is best to use but the only place I have seen it so far is iherb. We used to have a lot of bugs back home....mainly pregnant spiders that were impossible to get rid of until my mom opted for more natural ways to clean. The smell is strong but after a few minutes it will start to fade. I usually use the apple vinegar because the smell isn't as bad as the white. Mint leaves from tea bags will work too but of course the oil is better. You can open the tea bags and sprinkle it around the edges of your place. Cinnamon powder works best to keep some small bugs away. I had my drawers full of ants and I left a bag of cinnamon powder overnight and they were dead or gone.

Nice, thanks. c:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1111 on: July 19, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
I was having trouble opening one of the snacks someone brought in from Paris Baguette, so my cot took it from me and just yanked it open.

Me: "You're much better than me at opening things"
Her: "In Korea, I am AJUMMA"

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1112 on: July 19, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »
I was having trouble opening one of the snacks someone brought in from Paris Baguette, so my cot took it from me and just yanked it open.

LOL gotta love ajummas (sometimes).

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1113 on: July 19, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »

Haaaaaa~h.

*saves picture.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #1114 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »

Lol I used to have a coteacher that would reference herself as being all-powerful Ajumma at times. She was really sweet, wouldn't let students get away with dumb stuff, and everyone really liked her. She invited me over to her apartment for dinner with her family and another coteacher's family a couple times, as well as a beach cookout. They were all really swell people, and I miss them dearly. (Had to change cities thanks to budget cuts) She was the first Ajumma a met and gave me a really good impression of "them."

Your story, which is hilarious btw, reminded me when I would ask her something like, "Wow, you cooked all of this??" To which she would reply, "Hey~! I'm ajumma! We can do anything!" ;D
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1115 on: July 19, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »

Lol I used to have a coteacher that would reference herself as being all-powerful Ajumma at times. She was really sweet, wouldn't let students get away with dumb stuff, and everyone really liked her. She invited me over to her apartment for dinner with her family and another coteacher's family a couple times, as well as a beach cookout. They were all really swell people, and I miss them dearly. (Had to change cities thanks to budget cuts) She was the first Ajumma a met and gave me a really good impression of "them."

Your story, which is hilarious btw, reminded me when I would ask her something like, "Wow, you cooked all of this??" To which she would reply, "Hey~! I'm ajumma! We can do anything!" ;D

haha man I wish that's what she was like. she's judgemental, super critical but refuses to be helpful, definitely the worst of my coteachers in terms of teaching, and smacks her students.

but she's the head teacher so I have to at least pretend to get along with her. at one point I got tired of her crap and stopped being really friendly and she gave me crap for that too haha

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #1116 on: July 19, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »
Played a writing game with my grade 5 students this morning. As always, when they open their notebooks to write anything, they always first write the date first. As always, i asked "can anyone tell me what Tuesday is in Korean"? They all shouted 화요일, not 금요일. Bless their hearts...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:09:37 PM by walrus »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1117 on: July 19, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »
Played a writing game with my grade 5 students this morning. As always, when they open their notebooks to write anything, they always first write the date first. As always, i asked "can anyoneone tell me what Tuesday is in Korean"? They all shouted 화요일, not 금요일. Bless their hearts...
Are you ending your week early?

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1118 on: July 20, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »
Played a writing game with my grade 5 students this morning. As always, when they open their notebooks to write anything, they always first write the date first. As always, i asked "can anyoneone tell me what Tuesday is in Korean"? They all shouted 화요일, not 금요일. Bless their hearts...
Are you ending your week early?

Yeah, I don't get this.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1119 on: July 20, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »
Supposedly PoGo is going to be launched in Japan today, which means I'll be able to play because Busan is included in a Japan map cell. As far as I can tell it hasn't gone live yet though. Gahhh so impatient.