September 25, 2017, 06:52:01 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 356575 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1060 on: July 13, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »
The secretary broke her leg AGAIN  :huh: She had like maybe a few weeks where she was almost fully recovered (hardly a limp). I don't remember if it's the same leg or not though. Golly she's had some horrid luck lately.

PE teacher broke his foot playing volleyball a while back too.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1061 on: July 13, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
I've seen numerous threads on here about horribly behaved students and the response from co-teachers and administration is to love the students more.  I've also heard that Korean mothers love their children more than mothers in other countries, something isn't adding up here.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1062 on: July 13, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
The secretary broke her leg AGAIN  :huh: She had like maybe a few weeks where she was almost fully recovered (hardly a limp). I don't remember if it's the same leg or not though. Golly she's had some horrid luck lately.

PE teacher broke his foot playing volleyball a while back too.

That's terrible, I feel so bad for her. How did she do it the first and the second time?

A teacher here broke his ankle playing ping pong a few weeks ago, and he's only returned yesterday. Felt so bad seeing this old man hobbling around on crutches and a boot.

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #1063 on: July 13, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »
Teaching my grade 5's days of the week. Hope they manage to get it...

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1064 on: July 13, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
I've seen numerous threads on here about horribly behaved students and the response from co-teachers and administration is to love the students more.  I've also heard that Korean mothers love their children more than mothers in other countries, something isn't adding up here.

Replace "love" with "coddle" and your sentence would be 100% correct.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1065 on: July 13, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
I've just been informed there is a mistake in one of my camp ppts!!!
OMFG, me a mistake! Never!

I'm teaching 'favorites' to kids and going through a bunch of topics; games, subjects, sports etc.

Apparently I can't have naan as a favorite food. I'm Canadian. Naan is from India. It's just not possible.

I'm not even angry just more surprised. Chicago deep dish it is then!
Dammit, Canadian again. Pancakes?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1066 on: July 13, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »
There's another new student in one of my travel elementary schools. Apparently he was there during grade 2 but moved elsewhere for a year and now he's back for grade 4. My coT vaguely told me there are some problems but she didn't elaborate (maybe she doesn't know specifics as this is her travel school too). She just said that he's very stubborn and not to force him to speak English.

In class the kid got upset and ripped up his paper into tiny shreds and turned around in his seat to face the wall and silently cry. The other students were looking at him like "wtf" (everyone else is pretty mild mannered). I didn't catch what happened as I was observing the other group at the time and my coT's eyes were glued to the computer. So I asked her to find out what happened and she said that according to him, he got skipped a turn but the others all say that never happened. She says that since the students know him from grade 2, they "already know his character."

The student who was being questioned my my coT seemed kinda giggly in response, so I half wonder if they were all in a plot against the "new" kid cause they already didn't like him. Honestly it was probably an accident and misunderstanding that the kid just took very personally. (sometimes my middle school kids accidentally skip each other in activities but they're very easy going about it)

Kid does seem very sullen but as of now I'm kinda suspecting that maybe he has some problems at home. In a different class I had a student who looked angry to be there but I persisted in saying hello and goodbye to her every time and now she seems at least happy to see me, greeting me and saying goodbye even though she still has no interest in English. No telling how this kid is gonna turn out but I guess that's the most I can do.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1067 on: July 15, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
Sitting down, actually doing some work to prepare for camp....

All of a sudden

A bunch of men in suits come into the office

My name is called, I turn my office chair around

I shake a well-dressed ajosshi's hand and he says "Nice to meet you." The Principal and Vice Principal are behind him, saying "This is our foreign teacher."

The camera is flashing

No, I am not dreaming, and I have not suddenly become famous. Apparently the Head of the Education Office in Busan has decided to visit our school today, and I have just been introduced to him. They just found out this morning and no one told me because they figured it wouldn't be of any importance to me. Now I'm really curious though if our meeting might be in the newspaper or something, or on some promotional materials. His name is 김속준 or maybe 김석준.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1068 on: July 15, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Just found out that I'll be teaching summer camp alone because, apparently, at this school all of the KTs must teach additional "special" classes for two weeks after the semester closing ceremony.

Basically, they've got camp, too, it's just called something else for them.

At least my camp will be fun. 8D

Sorry, KTs.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1069 on: July 15, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
Just found out that I'll be teaching summer camp alone because, apparently, at this school all of the KTs must teach additional "special" classes for two weeks after the semester closing ceremony.

Sorry, KTs.

What does stink is that they get paid for theirs, but we don't, which is why it is about to be game-mania up in here.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1070 on: July 15, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »

All of a sudden

I shake a well-dressed ajosshi's hand and he says "Nice to meet you." The Principal and Vice Principal are behind him, saying "This is our foreign teacher."

The camera is flashing

No, I am not dreaming, and I have not suddenly become famous. Apparently the Head of the Education Office in Busan has decided to visit our school today, and I have just been introduced to him. They just found out this morning and no one told me because they figured it wouldn't be of any importance to me. Now I'm really curious though if our meeting might be in the newspaper or something, or on some promotional materials. His name is 김속준 or maybe 김석준.

New principal? Same happened to me last year with a new P. 12 people in my office, single in on me.  Definitely NOT newspaper material. Nothing to worry about. Smile, act like a dim witted fool and carry on.  (My CT actually apologized after for some weird reason.)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1071 on: July 15, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
I've become more tolerant of bugs and such critters since living in the countryside but I don't think I'll ever be able to tolerate centipedes [inside my house]. I even had a nice little house spider that I let bum around in a corner because it never left its nest. Sadly I had to move it out because after an ant invasion I decided to spray bug repellent everywhere.

If they're outside, I could care less, but last night I had the joy of discovering a centipede IN my bedroom ceiling light. In horror, I watched it scurry around up there, decided that I didn't want to try removing the light to get it because dear god what if it fell on me or skittered off into some dark corner biding its time until I was asleep or whatever--

Then I remembered I had a can of bug spray. Sprayed all around the perimeter of the light, hoping for death. Centipede started going nuts, dashing all around inside the fixture until eventually ceasing movement altogether.

And there its body shall remain until the end of time.
Or at least until I move out or the light needs changing.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1072 on: July 15, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »

Sorry, KTs.

What does stink is that they get paid for theirs, but we don't, which is why it is about to be game-mania up in here.

Yeah, pretty much. There's going to be some noise, I hope they'll be able to handle it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1073 on: July 15, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »

All of a sudden

The camera is flashing

New principal? Same happened to me last year with a new P. 12 people in my office, single in on me.  Definitely NOT newspaper material. Nothing to worry about. Smile, act like a dim witted fool and carry on.  (My CT actually apologized after for some weird reason.)

No, it wasn't a new principal. It was the Head of the Busan Office of Education. I was told he's very progressive and wants to visit the schools to see what they're actually like instead of sitting in an office all day.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1074 on: July 15, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »

All of a sudden

The camera is flashing

No, it wasn't a new principal. It was the Head of the Busan Office of Education. I was told he's very progressive and wants to visit the schools to see what they're actually like instead of sitting in an office all day.

Interesting. I know that when we got a new P the head office sent a bunch of suits to come and check the place out shortly after he got here.

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #1075 on: July 15, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
6:00 this morning, lying on the couch drinking a coffee and watching the news, when i too witnessed a big centipede running across the floor. Damn i hate those bugs. My useless, lazy cat (the one who lies on the floor drinking out of her bowl cause she can't be bothered to stand/sit and drink) merely tracks the centipedes progression from her safe spot behind the plants. Thankfully it wasn't scurrying  too fast and i managed to get my buttt off the couch and snuff out it's existence. Now, have a nice weekened ahead of thoroughly cleaning apartment. At least it's going to rain...

Offline Aurata

• Expert Waygook
  • Je regrette rien
« Reply #1076 on: July 15, 2016, 05:55:54 PM »
6:00 this morning, lying on the couch drinking a coffee and watching the news, when i too witnessed a big centipede running across the floor.

In a high rise apartment building??  :shocked:

let me guess, you live in a ground floor house out in the countryside?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:53:20 AM by Aurata »
Imagine your Korea...

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1077 on: July 15, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
6:00 this morning, lying on the couch drinking a coffee and watching the news, when i too witnessed a big centipede running across the floor. Damn i hate those bugs. My useless, lazy cat (the one who lies on the floor drinking out of her bowl cause she can't be bothered to stand/sit and drink) merely tracks the centipedes progression from her safe spot behind the plants. Thankfully it wasn't scurrying  too fast and i managed to get my buttt off the couch and snuff out it's existence. Now, have a nice weekened ahead of thoroughly cleaning apartment. At least it's going to rain...

Not even going to lie. Was in the school bathroom handling the routine, and one of the MFers ran under the stall!!! Bro, i jumped up, praying to god I didn't make a mess and was trying with all intensiveness in trying to find the bastard. I zeroed in on him, making sure he didn't move, never losing eye contact. I quickly finished up, and left. I came back about a minute later with a big broom. It didn't survive.  :police:

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #1078 on: July 15, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »
I've become more tolerant of bugs and such critters since living in the countryside but I don't think I'll ever be able to tolerate centipedes [inside my house]. I even had a nice little house spider that I let bum around in a corner because it never left its nest. Sadly I had to move it out because after an ant invasion I decided to spray bug repellent everywhere.

If they're outside, I could care less, but last night I had the joy of discovering a centipede IN my bedroom ceiling light. In horror, I watched it scurry around up there, decided that I didn't want to try removing the light to get it because dear god what if it fell on me or skittered off into some dark corner biding its time until I was asleep or whatever--

Then I remembered I had a can of bug spray. Sprayed all around the perimeter of the light, hoping for death. Centipede started going nuts, dashing all around inside the fixture until eventually ceasing movement altogether.

Just curious, but how did you deal with the ant invasion?

Regarding centipedes, there was a centipede in the bathroom of my school-provided-apartment a few years ago. It made an appearance a couple of days before I was about to move out (my contract was almost finished). I just put a small plastic disposable container (the type that restaurants will put sauce in when you order something that comes with sauce for take-out) on top of it and left it covered up like that. Haha.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1079 on: July 16, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »

Just curious, but how did you deal with the ant invasion?

Regarding centipedes, there was a centipede in the bathroom of my school-provided-apartment a few years ago. It made an appearance a couple of days before I was about to move out (my contract was almost finished). I just put a small plastic disposable container (the type that restaurants will put sauce in when you order something that comes with sauce for take-out) on top of it and left it covered up like that. Haha.

Got a can of bug spray and thoroughly sprayed the entire outside perimeter of my home as well as the inner and also around all the windows! Haven't seen an ant since :)

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment