November 20, 2017, 05:37:30 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 403829 times)

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1040 on: July 07, 2016, 02:25:44 PM »
i'll actually give the mods the benefit of the doubt here and say that maybe it hit the page count limit. that thread was looooonnngggggg. i hope the mods can clarify.

Couldn't they just have locked it as they've done with other threads? The original ranting/venting thread was just locked, but you can still read it. If the length of 2.0 was an issue, why wasn't it addressed earlier before it got so long?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1041 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
i'll actually give the mods the benefit of the doubt here and say that maybe it hit the page count limit. that thread was looooonnngggggg. i hope the mods can clarify.

Couldn't they just have locked it as they've done with other threads? The original ranting/venting thread was just locked, but you can still read it. If the length of 2.0 was an issue, why wasn't it addressed earlier before it got so long?

I don't know, it doesn't feel like a great loss. I mean, who was really goona go back and go through the long list of compaints we've written if they just locked it? I think it would have been pointless after locking it.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1042 on: July 07, 2016, 02:44:12 PM »

I don't know, it doesn't feel like a great loss. I mean, who was really goona go back and go through the long list of compaints we've written if they just locked it? I think it would have been pointless after locking it.

Material-wise it's not a great loss at all, but I'm certainly curious why it was deleted. I honestly have no idea what happened to it, but the idea of intentionally deleting what people have said, pointless rants or not, goes against the freedom to say what we want. I'm not accusing the mods of anything without any evidence, but as I said, I'd like to know what happened.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1043 on: July 08, 2016, 08:43:43 AM »
...There's a bird flying around in the halls, tweeting noisily and running into the windows. My coworkers are all just like "yes, it's a bird." I guess it's not unusual for birds to wander into school?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1044 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »
I want ice cream soooooo bad. I realize now that I haven't had any in a year, and I was doing just fine without it, but now that I realize it's been a while... it's like the craving has taken over my soul.

Also, I'm close to finishing my work despite my attempts at self-sabotage.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1045 on: July 08, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Perhaps someone from an education office saw all the complaints about the Korean teachers, the education system, and the camps and, in typical South Korean fashion, rather than consider those complaints, weigh them on their merit, and ultimately address them or dismiss them, which should be the case if free speech were allowed in South Korea, the person or persons contacted the operators of this site and threatened them with a defamation suit in order to save face and squelch all criticism that would otherwise force South Koreans to acknowledge as false the little fantasy world they have built up in their minds of a Korean utopia with an education system superior to all others due to "Korean uniqueness."
I know that your post was intended to be humourous, but it does actually raise a good question: what laws regarding slander/freedom of speech apply to Waygook?

I've read that Waygook's host server is in North America, and we therefor don't have to worry about local (Korean) authorities being able to seize data etc. It also means that it would be very difficult for them to file a cease and desist, as it would require going through international channels, which is a huge pain in the ass (which is one reason why the Bay of Pirates is still running after all these years).

As for freedom of speech, Ièm a little blurry on how those laws apply to the internet, but I would guess that the laws of the website owners' nationality would apply, which in this case is Canada (I think?). So not quite as free as what Americans might be used to, but far freer than here in Korea!

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #1046 on: July 08, 2016, 09:31:14 AM »
I want ice cream soooooo bad. I realize now that I haven't had any in a year, and I was doing just fine without it, but now that I realize it's been a while... it's like the craving has taken over my soul.

I eat ice cream semi-regularly but I just recently discovered that I really (like really) love green tea ice cream. Now I can't get enough. Especially if said green tea ice cream happens to appear in bingsu. Damn... I'm hungry.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1047 on: July 08, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »
Perhaps someone from an education office saw all the complaints about the Korean teachers, the education system, and the camps and, in typical South Korean fashion, rather than consider those complaints, weigh them on their merit, and ultimately address them or dismiss them, which should be the case if free speech were allowed in South Korea, the person or persons contacted the operators of this site and threatened them with a defamation suit in order to save face and squelch all criticism that would otherwise force South Koreans to acknowledge as false the little fantasy world they have built up in their minds of a Korean utopia with an education system superior to all others due to "Korean uniqueness."
I know that your post was intended to be humourous, but it does actually raise a good question: what laws regarding slander/freedom of speech apply to Waygook?

I've read that Waygook's host server is in North America, and we therefor don't have to worry about local (Korean) authorities being able to seize data etc. It also means that it would be very difficult for them to file a cease and desist, as it would require going through international channels, which is a huge pain in the ass (which is one reason why the Bay of Pirates is still running after all these years).

As for freedom of speech, Ièm a little blurry on how those laws apply to the internet, but I would guess that the laws of the website owners' nationality would apply, which in this case is Canada (I think?). So not quite as free as what Americans might be used to, but far freer than here in Korea!

Yeah, the internet can be tricky, but in this case Korea has 0 jurisdiction. Korea is free to lodge a complaint with the site's country of origin, but that's not likely to go anywhere since the country of origin has different laws, practices and priorities.

Also, I don't think S. Korea's defamation laws would apply here anyway unless specific names and faces are attached to the complaints.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1048 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »

I eat ice cream semi-regularly but I just recently discovered that I really (like really) love green tea ice cream. Now I can't get enough. Especially if said green tea ice cream happens to appear in bingsu. Damn... I'm hungry.

OMG STAWP I'M DYING

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #1049 on: July 08, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »

OMG STAWP I'M DYING

I'm craving ice cream but I'm really craving green tea ice cream macarons. The ones at Baskin Robbins are really good  :cry:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1050 on: July 08, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »

OMG STAWP I'M DYING

I'm craving ice cream but I'm really craving green tea ice cream macarons. The ones at Baskin Robbins are really good  :cry:

I want macarons so badly now. :cry: This thread just made me hungry. Thank god it's almost lunch time.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #1051 on: July 08, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »
Today at the beginning of class a kid proclaims to me that he can't see. We run with some jokes on this for awhile and then start class. Twenty minutes later he's crying because another student threw eraser bits into his eyes. Way to foreshadow your own demise, kid.
(I did really feel bad for him. He's one of my favourites and I loathe the kid who threw the eraser bits).

Next class rolls around. Another kid gets poked in the eye by someone or something and sobs for the rest of the class. What is with the influx in eye injuries today?

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1052 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
Today at the beginning of class a kid proclaims to me that he can't see. We run with some jokes on this for awhile and then start class. Twenty minutes later he's crying because another student threw eraser bits into his eyes. Way to foreshadow your own demise, kid.
(I did really feel bad for him. He's one of my favourites and I loathe the kid who threw the eraser bits).

Next class rolls around. Another kid gets poked in the eye by someone or something and sobs for the rest of the class. What is with the influx in eye injuries today?

your day sounds like lenny's
'

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1053 on: July 08, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
We had another school dinner last night and I tried raw crab for the first time. You have to bite down on the shell (and half the legs are hanging out of your mouth) and the squishy stuff inside kinda squirts into your mouth. It's not good squishy like sushi, it's just gooey and way too salty. I don't recommend it.

The weeks have been flying by lately. Strange it's Friday again. Today was the easiest day ever; just a movie in a few classes and preparing interview questions for the 1st and 2nd graders to determine in which level of summer camp they'll be.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1054 on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
My co-teacher whom I share a classroom with (no office) has been leaving two hours early for the past couple of weeks and I'm getting so much stuff done.

I'm genuinely curious. Is there anyone who works better in a group environment? I can't get sh*t done with other people hanging around, taking phone-calls, sighing (the sighing!) etc.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1055 on: July 08, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
My co-teacher whom I share a classroom with (no office) has been leaving two hours early for the past couple of weeks and I'm getting so much stuff done.

I'm genuinely curious. Is there anyone who works better in a group environment? I can't get sh*t done with other people hanging around, taking phone-calls, sighing (the sighing!) etc.

I think I tend to work better in a group environment, gauging from past work experiences. My coworkers and I don't need to gab all day but just having others present helps my motivation, somehow. Whether it's silent or loud doesn't make much difference to me, as I'm pretty good at focusing on the task at hand. Once I worked in a windowless basement and on occasion there were a few weeks when I saw absolutely nobody (my supervisors perhaps trusted me too much and were busy doing their own thing in different buildings so they would just shoot me emails as check ups) and it drove me a bit mad.

I guess I just need warm bodies, hahahah

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #1056 on: July 08, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »

OMG STAWP I'M DYING

I live in Boseong where we have ALL THE GREEN TEA EVERYTHINGS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1057 on: July 10, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »

OMG STAWP I'M DYING

I live in Boseong where we have ALL THE GREEN TEA EVERYTHINGS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1058 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
The secretary broke her leg AGAIN  :huh: She had like maybe a few weeks where she was almost fully recovered (hardly a limp). I don't remember if it's the same leg or not though. Golly she's had some horrid luck lately.

PE teacher broke his foot playing volleyball a while back too.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1059 on: July 13, 2016, 10:12:45 AM »
I've seen numerous threads on here about horribly behaved students and the response from co-teachers and administration is to love the students more.  I've also heard that Korean mothers love their children more than mothers in other countries, something isn't adding up here.