September 21, 2017, 09:37:40 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 353175 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1020 on: July 06, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
Well, right now is finals for most middle/high schools so they can leave school after lunch (although some may leave before lunch).
Midterms, I think. Typically, the school year starts in March. :wink:

Į\_(ツ)_/Į my coteachers called them finals. anyways, what, then, should I call the midterms for the first semester? the mid-mid-terms? the quarter-terms?

....semi-mid-terms? half-mid-terms? the quarter quell?
First semester mid-terms, first semester finals, second semester mid-terms, second semester finals...

That is what we call them in the US and what they call them in Korea, as well.

What do you call them where you are from?

Yep. In Korea each term (Spring or Fall) has an exam halfway through (mid-terms) , and then again before the vacation (finals). My Co-T wrote the latter on my calendar as "a term-end examination", but same thing.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1021 on: July 06, 2016, 06:28:02 PM »
Well, right now is finals for most middle/high schools so they can leave school after lunch (although some may leave before lunch).
Midterms, I think. Typically, the school year starts in March. :wink:

Į\_(ツ)_/Į my coteachers called them finals. anyways, what, then, should I call the midterms for the first semester? the mid-mid-terms? the quarter-terms?

....semi-mid-terms? half-mid-terms? the quarter quell?
First semester mid-terms, first semester finals, second semester mid-terms, second semester finals...

That is what we call them in the US and what they call them in Korea, as well.

What do you call them where you are from?

I was poking fun at him for being condescending haha. Obviously I'd use the terms you just listed.

Although as I recall in high school, while we usually had semester-based midterms, we either just called it "a big test" or "midterms" .... and then we would have another "midterm" at the end of the semester lol (provided it was a year-long class and not a semester-long class, then it would be a final)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1022 on: July 06, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
I was poking fun at him for being condescending haha.
Don't make fun of my favourite pastime!  :cry:
Although as I recall in high school, while we usually had semester-based midterms, we either just called it "a big test" or "midterms" .... and then we would have another "midterm" at the end of the semester lol (provided it was a year-long class and not a semester-long class, then it would be a final)
I only ever had semester long classes, so we'd have mid terms and finals. Everything else was just "a test".
I know that my coworkers call the end-of-term-tests "finals", but I just can't bring myself to call 'em that myself. There was a bit of self-mockery in my condescending sounding comment.
But I *was* serious about my suggestion of "quarter finals". I think my students (middle-school boys) would be far more excited about things if all school-related events were renamed with sports related terms.
Class captain?       --> Quarterback.
Final exams?         --> Playoffs.
Detention?            --> Penalty box.
Warnings?             --> Yellow card.
Get out! ?             --> Red card.
NET?                    --> Assistant waterboy.
Lunchtime?           --> Scrimmage.
C level class?        --> Minor leagues.
Vocational school? --> Arsenal. (:wink:)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2016, 10:12:41 PM »
Whomever recently said his/her students were frothing at the mouth, I think today I witnessed what could be similarly described as such-- but with grade 3 middle school boys.

The activity wasn't even noteworthy, it was just a memory matching game with a bunch of cards I'd made to make them practice the key expressions. But the boys were nearly screaming because they got so competitive about it.  :huh:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1024 on: July 07, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
Whomever recently said his/her students were frothing at the mouth, I think today I witnessed what could be similarly described as such-- but with grade 3 middle school boys.

The activity wasn't even noteworthy, it was just a memory matching game with a bunch of cards I'd made to make them practice the key expressions. But the boys were nearly screaming because they got so competitive about it.  :huh:

:laugh: I love when the kids go nuts over games. At my first school, my CT was a blackhole for all things fun. She would make the kids play quietly and if they took more than 2 seconds to choose a letter or a picture or whatever she would skip their turn. Sucked the fun out of everything. I hated her.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1025 on: July 07, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »

:laugh: I love when the kids go nuts over games. At my first school, my CT was a blackhole for all things fun. She would make the kids play quietly and if they took more than 2 seconds to choose a letter or a picture or whatever she would skip their turn. Sucked the fun out of everything. I hated her.
There is always one kid who takes it way to seriously like if he loses the game his life will end. In my 6th grade classes in particular. I played a simple flashcard speed game thing with two teams. 2 kids came up at a time and the first one to say the thing on the flashcard first in Englishee won. If it was too close to call I made them do another one. No one seemed to care except this one kid who kept being like "HE WAS DEFINITELY FIRST WE GET POINT!!" or if their pronunciation was a bit off he'd be like " SHE SAID "A"!! NOT "B"!! And Im just like dude you need to relaaaaax or go sit down and come back later. Seriously. There wasn't even a prize up for grabs. 

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1026 on: July 07, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »
Why is the clock on this site always two hours ahead? Like if I post at 9:00AM the site would say 11:00AM. What's the deal?

I thought maybe it's because the site is hosted in a different time zone but wouldn't it make sense to align the clock with Korea time, seeing as that's where the majority of users live?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1027 on: July 07, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »
Why is the clock on this site always two hours ahead? Like if I post at 9:00AM the site would say 11:00AM. What's the deal?

I thought maybe it's because the site is hosted in a different time zone but wouldn't it make sense to align the clock with Korea time, seeing as that's where the majority of users live?

The site's default is set to somewhere in the Pacific. If you check around in your user settings, you can find the option to change your time-zone.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1028 on: July 07, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »

The site's default is set to somewhere in the Pacific. If you check around in your user settings, you can find the option to change your time-zone.

Just switched it up. Cheers!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1029 on: July 07, 2016, 12:12:42 PM »
In other news, I lost my watch. Found it this morning. Then lost it again not 3 minutes later.

I bet I kicked it under the fridge. How do I always manage to do that?

I also want my school to switch the current bell toll with a Mario Bros. midi. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1030 on: July 07, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
I was poking fun at him for being condescending haha.
Don't make fun of my favourite pastime!  :cry:
I only ever had semester long classes, so we'd have mid terms and finals. Everything else was just "a test".
I know that my coworkers call the end-of-term-tests "finals", but I just can't bring myself to call 'em that myself. There was a bit of self-mockery in my condescending sounding comment.

There were only a handful of semester-long classes when I was in high school, and they were optional for the most part. The only kinds of classes that tended to be one semester long were computer skills, home ec, or art classes. And those don't tend to have exams haha.

Offline Mr. Pink

• Adventurer
  • I don't tip
« Reply #1031 on: July 07, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »
what happened to the ranting/venting thread? it just disappeared.

did a mod delete it?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1032 on: July 07, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »

did a mod delete it?

Woah, looks like something happened.

If it was deleted, WHY? Moderating means punishing users for infractions. Not threads for containing a dick post.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1033 on: July 07, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »

did a mod delete it?
:shocked:
it's gone!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1034 on: July 07, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »
Why?? What's the point? Or why not just lock it instead. It's not like someone won't just start a new one...

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1035 on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »

did a mod delete it?
it's gone!

Who's gonna start version 3.0?  :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1036 on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »

did a mod delete it?

You're right. D8

Really hoping that was a mistake.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1037 on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
Why?? What's the point? Or why not just lock it instead. It's not like someone won't just start a new one...

NEW RULE! No complaining! Just be happy!

- You know who Mod

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1038 on: July 07, 2016, 05:00:02 PM »

did a mod delete it?
it's gone!

Who's gonna start version 3.0?  :laugh:

The first post can be complaining about the disappearance of the last two, lol

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1039 on: July 07, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »

did a mod delete it?

Perhaps someone from an education office saw all the complaints about the Korean teachers, the education system, and the camps and, in typical South Korean fashion, rather than consider those complaints, weigh them on their merit, and ultimately address them or dismiss them, which should be the case if free speech were allowed in South Korea, the person or persons contacted the operators of this site and threatened them with a defamation suit in order to save face and squelch all criticism that would otherwise force South Koreans to acknowledge as false the little fantasy world they have built up in their minds of a Korean utopia with an education system superior to all others due to "Korean uniqueness."

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment