December 11, 2017, 11:48:38 AM

Author Topic: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation  (Read 46426 times)

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
Re: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »
Except that you're not, in fact, getting paid to be on duty 24/7 but nevertheless expected to act as though you were.

Oh, FFS!  Have some self-respect.  Try to show a little decorum.

Which is exactly why I avoid anything EPIK-related like the plague.

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2011, 07:56:55 AM »
It's also banned at most football (soccer for the Americans), underage discos, a lot of public places such as parks and stuff, in most cinemas, and the Houses of Parliament or the Senate.

Never stopped anyone else before.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline Gillod

• Veteran
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
That is too bad. It seems that drinking is a part of the social/ workplace (ish) in Korea anyway. At least, I mean, at teachers dinners I have never not been offered multiple drinks and shots. We have all finished college... we can handle some drinks.

Again, what we're saying is YOU can handle some drinks. But year after year after year, NETs have made complete fools of themselves at these orientations by getting completely and totally wasted. A few bad apples, man. And if other orientations wree anything like the 2 I went to, it wasn't just a few bad apples.

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »
I was at the last orientation...but we had to be in bed by 10 (in our own rooms)...
- What time was 'lights out'?
- Did they give you warm milk & cookies?
- Did they issue Dalki or Hello Kitty jammies?
- If you were 'bad' and missed a session, could you be sent to bed without dinner?
... so many questions!  ;)
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline minamteacher

• Expert Waygook
  • AegNO >.<
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »
This is the most unintentionally hilarious thread on Waygook. Over 200 posts on drinking alcohol at a training event!

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
This is the most unintentionally hilarious thread on Waygook. Over 200 posts on drinking alcohol at a training event!

I created a monster.  :D
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline Burndog

• Super Waygook
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »

Is the GEPIK/YBM association further proof of GEPIK reducing itself to a hagwon?

Yeah, I have classes of 6 students, all of whom have roughly the same English level.  I work with a few other foreign teachers and a few Korean teachers.  My pay doesn't come in on time most months and I have two weeks worth of vacation that I can take whenever I like.

All this because YBM provided technical and other assistance at their Orientation.

It's over 200 posts on NOT drinking alcohol at a training event!!!  It's mental!

Offline randarchy

• Adventurer
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
I just finished the EPIK orientation, and alcohol was also banned. Including at the farewell dinner restaurant. However, we had from 9-midnight to get in as much as people could..and I think a lot made use of that!

Offline JoannaB

• Explorer
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
Thats silly, having a few drinks with people is the best way to get to know people!

Offline hkg123

• Veteran
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
All the more reason to allow alcohol.

Allow us responsible ones to have a pleasant time and weed out the irresponsible ones (under penalty of firing).

Hmm, that's actually kind of a good idea.  Never thought of that.

Offline Davox

• Super Waygook
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »

Allow us responsible ones to have a pleasant time and weed out the irresponsible ones (under penalty of firing).

It's a bad idea.  I was a little on the fence before the orientation on the alcohol issue, but having just come back from there, they made absolutely the right call.  Yes, we could allow alcohol, and yes we could just fire the few teachers who act badly...except for a few things.

1) GEPIK can't fire them.  Only the principals can do that, and only for reasons stipulated in the contract, and only after the requisite amount of written warnings, etc.
2) If they do get fired, who's going to teach the children in the meantime?  It costs a lot of time and money to hire one of us...schools are short of both now.  Are they really going to fire someone if they don't know when or even if they can be replaced?
3) Even if they do get fired, what does GEPIK do when the day after, newspapers in Korea run "Foreign Alcoholic Teachers Get Drunk With Students Using Taxpayer Money*" on the front page and GEPIK funding gets cut to fund some other thing...again?  Why do you think GEPIK has had so many funding changes and restructuring recently?  For fun?   Every time one of those articles runs in a paper, we get a little bit closer to the program being ended.  Do you want to go back to working in a Hagwon?  I don't.

Banning alcohol was absolutely the correct call.

*Yes, there were students in the hotel with us.  Hundreds of them. 

BTW Burndog...I really liked your presentation.  It was one of the more useful ones, and definitely one of the most entertaining.  It's a real shame the videos had problems.

Offline caddycatcat

• Waygookin
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
They only banned it because too many people were getting out of hand.

Offline Chezlinl

• Explorer
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
I attended the training this past week in Seoul and I am glad that alcohol was banned.
The guest teachers behaved like a pure example of an elementary class. They knew the rules and boundries and worked with in it successfully. There were still a few who "tried to swim up stream" but all~an~all the guide lines were maintained.
I can only imagine what the results would have been if we were allowed to do what we wanted. there were a number of strong willed characters, who if unleashed could have brought the house down.
To all it was a great training and i learnt 100's

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »

It's a bad idea.  I was a little on the fence before the orientation on the alcohol issue, but having just come back from there, they made absolutely the right call.  Yes, we could allow alcohol, and yes we could just fire the few teachers who act badly...except for a few things.

1) GEPIK can't fire them.  Only the principals can do that, and only for reasons stipulated in the contract, and only after the requisite amount of written warnings, etc.
2) If they do get fired, who's going to teach the children in the meantime?  It costs a lot of time and money to hire one of us...schools are short of both now.  Are they really going to fire someone if they don't know when or even if they can be replaced?
3) Even if they do get fired, what does GEPIK do when the day after, newspapers in Korea run "Foreign Alcoholic Teachers Get Drunk With Students Using Taxpayer Money*" on the front page and GEPIK funding gets cut to fund some other thing...again?  Why do you think GEPIK has had so many funding changes and restructuring recently?  For fun?   Every time one of those articles runs in a paper, we get a little bit closer to the program being ended.  Do you want to go back to working in a Hagwon?  I don't.

To be honest, I was being a bit facetious.

As for point 2, it's a bit unfortunate that schools have to keep these teachers around.  It seems like it's saying to the potential troublemakers, "I'm going to make it impossible for you to expose yourself as the irresponsible person that you are."

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
Anyways, it wasn't terrible not being able to drink.  I think most people didn't go into withdrawal (I sure didn't) and were still able to unwind at the end of the day and get to know each other.

Offline w4z

• Veteran
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
People smuggled alcohol into the GEPIK orientation anyway.  One guy was bragging about his suitcase full of soju.

Offline Gunpojohnny

• Adventurer
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »
If people did smuggle soju into the orientation I sure didn't notice. There wasn't a lot to do after hours. We did sing like idiots and play ping-pong.

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #217 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
If people did smuggle soju into the orientation I sure didn't notice. There wasn't a lot to do after hours. We did sing like idiots and play ping-pong.

Maybe we were in the same noraebang.

Offline hkg123

• Veteran
« Reply #218 on: April 28, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »
Yeah, out of all of the possible things to be worried about during a GEPIK orientation such as

1)  Will the lectures be useful?
2)  Outside of the lectures, can I get other practical tips?
3)  Will my sleeping accommodations be adequate?
4)  Will the food be good?

The question of being allowed to drink alcohol ranks way up there.   All those other concerns are trivial in comparison.   Especially since the orientation will be a whole 2 or 3 days.   Hardly anybody can stand to do without alcohol for 3 days right?

You don't find it demeaning?

Maybe, but I find it even more demeaning to be in the same group of people (i.e. native teachers) who would have a thing like this be their primary concern.

Personally, I wanted to leave the facility not because I wanted to get drunk, but because I wanted some good pizza.   Although I suppose you could make the argument that I should have the right to do that, I figured that raising a fuss about such a thing wasn't worth it.

The food was gross.  If there had been a pizza place nearby and we weren't allowed to leave, then I'd be pissed, no doubt.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »
The food was gross.  If there had been a pizza place nearby and we weren't allowed to leave, then I'd be pissed, no doubt.

The pizza and chicken delivery places will bring you beer - just make sure to ask that it comes in an opaque bag.