December 17, 2017, 02:33:38 AM

Author Topic: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation  (Read 46576 times)

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »
So it seems that all alcohol is banned at the upcoming GEPIK orientation.  I'm sure someone did something stupid in the past.  Still, I'm very surprised for (at least) 2 reasons.  First, we're adults and are not being treated as such.  Even more surprised because it's Korea practically every event, particularly work-related ones, offer alcohol during meal times (at least at the end of the day).

What do you think?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline Jessica G

• Adventurer
Re: Alcohol banned at GEPIK orientation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
Banned!!? We'll just see about that muahahahahahahaha   8)

Seriously though that sucks. I hadn't heard.

Offline singletrackmind

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Doesn't surprise me.  Last year it was embarrassing to see all the garbage that people left all over the campus.  Not to mention some idiots who started drinking at 8:00am.  One guy in my seminar had to be removed because he started rambling incoherently in the middle of a lecture.  The yearly orientation is a perfect example of why Koreans think all NETs are drunken morons. 

Offline Gunpojohnny

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:51:50 PM »
I guess I'll have to pour this soju... into a pepsi bottle  :-X Seriously though I'll just do what I'm told. It's just two and a half days... at a resort... ::Sigh:: It's my first year so I have no idea what to expect

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
Just for the record, here it is:
http://b2b.ybmedu.com/File/b2b/gepik_2011%20GEPIK%20Orientation%20Guidelines.doc

2011 GEPIK Orientation Guidelines

A) General Guidelines    

All participants are expected to adhere to the following guidelines.

1.   All lectures are mandatory. Please refer to the schedule in the orientation book. Be sure to always bring your own orientation book to each lecture and be seated 10 minutes before the start of every lecture.

2.   Always sign the attendance sheets in the mornings and afternoons.

3.   Please dress appropriately and be sure to wear your name tag at all times.

4. Notify the GEPIK Coordinator’s Office in the event that
(a) you will be absent from a lecture and/or
(b) plan to leave the premise.*
* For insurance and safety purposes, you must fill out an off-campus
permission slip (available at the GEPIK Coordinator’s Office) any time you
plan/have to leave the premise.

5.  Damaging any facility equipment will result in a fine.

6. Be sure to keep your valuables with you or safely locked away.

7. It is your responsibility to keep your dorm room clean.

8. In case of an emergency, be aware of where the fire equipment
and fire escapes are located.

9. No outside visitors are allowed to stay in the dormitory over night.

10. Alcohol is strictly prohibited. This includes drinking alcohol
and/or being in possession of any alcohol.

B) Expulsion from the Orientation

If one of the following situations should occur, you will be expelled from the orientation and your school will be notified:

1.   If your attendance at the orientation is negligent.

2.   If you do not adhere to the GEPIK Orientation Guidelines or the
dormitory rules.

3.   If you drink alcohol and/or are caught in possession of any
alcohol.

4.   If you are found gambling or engaging in any type of
violence/abuse/loose conduct and/or behavior.

5. If you do not follow the instructions required for the orientation
program.

C) Staying in the Dormitory

All participants are expected to adhere to the following dormitory rules.

1.   The dormitory is shared with other trainees (not only GEPIK teachers) so please respect others and keep the noise level to a minimum (*there is a strict noise out policy from midnight).

2.   In case of an emergency, please notify the Coordinators/staff and
follow their instructions.

3. Other:
a) For insurance and safety purposes, you are not allowed to change your designated room. If it is absolutely essential, permission must first be granted from the GEPIK Coordinator’s Office.
b) You are responsible for your personal actions and all of your personal belongings. GEPIK is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.

Offline Mlatte

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
We are there to learn and not to party!  We need to have full mental capacity in order to learn in order to do our jobs.

Offline RatnaMH

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Good... The TaLK folks were shacked up with the Epik people in Jeonbuk and they were having a mosh pit in the uni, the night before they were all shipped out to their schools...
With loads of Korean admin people around watching them go at it like retards...

Offline JamericanTeacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
What's this?  Alcohol banned at a professional gathering?  GASP   ::)

Last year at one of the sessions a NT got so trashed that he went to the front desk and demanded a private room costing the govt an additional few hundred thousand won.  Not alot of money relatively speaking but unacceptable.

The next day he was so trashed that he missed all the workshops and had to be carried to the bus.  I know all this for a fact bc I witnessed it and proofread the warning letter the school (he was a second NT at my former school) that listed everything he did.  BTW, I was flabbergasted that he was warned as opposed to fired but *shrug.*

Yes, we are adults but you must admit, there are enough bad apples who spoil things for the bunch.  Some of the things we complain about truly amaze me.

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »
All the more reason to allow alcohol.

Allow us responsible ones to have a pleasant time and weed out the irresponsible ones (under penalty of firing).

Offline yitzike

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
don't know the setup for yours but I was just at one recently in Daejeon (been here for 4 months before that) and yes, alcohol is banned on the campus we were on, but just go out to a bar at night if you feel the need to drink. that's what most of us did. I didn't hear about anyone causing any problems when they got back to campus out of our orientation group.

yes, koreans do drink at training events, but here's the difference: they say on paper it's a "teacher's training" but when they get there, no one actually does any training or attends any lectures, calling it a teacher training is just an excuse for the staff to take a short trip together.

as for us? we're at those orientations to actually learn a bit about our craft, get good ideas, network, etc etc, and also to learn a little about korean culture/language/how to adapt. believe me there is noooooooooo shortage of time for people to hang out and drink and party for the remaining 362 days of their contract.

suck it up for a few days, during the daytime at least. i'm sure your liver won't go into withdrawl.

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
We're not allowed to leave the facility (it's a resort, so it's definitely not a policy of the venue).  No chance to go to a bar (and I think it's fairly remote).

Frankly, I feel that we're being treated like children.  Even back in our home countries you can have a drink at the end of a day at training seminars, meetings etc.

As for learning Korean culture, I don't think there's really all that much to offer in the time-frame (I know I'm just being negative now.  I've been in Korea for 2 years so I don't think a 30 minute class about saying "annyeong haseyo" will benefit me much).

Offline yitzike

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »
@justanotherwaygook: that sucks, ours was a lot different, it was 5 days long on a campus in Daejeon, 200 students (most of which were noobs or only a month old, many of which had been in country for several months or even years). there were some keen presentations on korean culture (not just stock), and as for korean lessons, they separated us into three groups, beginner, intermediate, advanced (i was intermediate but all that took was being able to read hangeul - though i'm told the advanced classes were generally useful for those who knew the language well).

maybe my sarcastic remarks were hasty :-) that does kind of suck about it being banned and all. it's really too bad a few people who don't understand the concept of "party without making yourself everyone else's problem" have ruined it for the responsible types like the rest of us.

Offline Brian

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
At this point, though, GEPIK orientations are known for being nothing else than a big frat/tri-delt party---and have even made the newspapers because of the drinking---so it's not surprising. 
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »
Doesn't surprise me.  Last year it was embarrassing to see all the garbage that people left all over the campus.  Not to mention some idiots who started drinking at 8:00am.  One guy in my seminar had to be removed because he started rambling incoherently in the middle of a lecture.  The yearly orientation is a perfect example of why Koreans think all NETs are drunken morons.

Yeah, when I went in 2009, it was nothing but three days of partying. It was rather gross seeing everybody getting sick and puking on everything. Even the staff members were plastered and had poor behavior. I think it is good to ban alcohol. It shouldn't be a big party. It needs to be oreintation. Anybody who complains about there being no booze or bars to go to are just being childish.

If you are in Korea just to party and drink, go get a job at a hagwon. Personally, I am tired of hearing from Koreans how all foreigners are alcoholics. It is supposed to be a business trip, not a "get drunk and puke all over the tennis courts, front driveway and parking lot, bathrooms, classrooms, and dorm rooms." I felt very shameful that the people who have to clean the facilities had to take care of so much barf, busted soju bottles, and general garbage.

Ok, enough ranting, I am glad it is banned. I support the ban, and yes, I feel, after attending my GEPIK training, that many people who are here SHOULD be treated as babies because they act like it.

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
It's unfortunate that people act like idiots.  I can understand why the ban is in place, but that still doesn't make me feel better. 

Don't assume I'm in Korea to drink and party; I probably average 0-3 drinks a week.

As for foreigners being viewed as drunkards, one only needs to look critically and see that this behavior is happens across nationalities.

I should say that I'm not upset over this ban.  Rather, I feel it is unfortunate and a bit demeaning.

Offline elzoog

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »
Yeah, out of all of the possible things to be worried about during a GEPIK orientation such as

1)  Will the lectures be useful?
2)  Outside of the lectures, can I get other practical tips?
3)  Will my sleeping accommodations be adequate?
4)  Will the food be good?

The question of being allowed to drink alcohol ranks way up there.   All those other concerns are trivial in comparison.   Especially since the orientation will be a whole 2 or 3 days.   Hardly anybody can stand to do without alcohol for 3 days right?

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »
the last time I went people got stupid with the alcohol.  Many people had hangovers.  When it got late, the store shut down and everyone moved to the tennis courts to drink.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline mboycuk

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:27 AM »
Well i just have to say, that is really sad.  As adults no one can take your right to drink from you.  So i wouldn't worry to much.  Epik won't send everyone home.  They need english teachers.  Just don't show up to class drunk and you'll be fine

Offline kneukels

• Veteran
  • Hugs not Drugs!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »
As a result of the reputation of these orientations (and the fact that our schools previous NET told my CT all about it) my school has decided that they will not let me go. I'm disappointed. I've been here 7 months and I am quite comfortable in my surroundings, but I haven't really met a lot of people and I feel a part of my Korean experience it being taken away. I asked my CT a few months ago if she would please look into letting me go, I might not learn a lot about teaching but I would meet some friends (and it's required according to my contract). She said she will let me know when the papers arrived. Now I'm hearing that orientation is coming up soon, and I haven't heard a single thing from my CT, so I guess, conveniently she forgot, or the school simply said no. I'm disappointed :( I'm not a big drinker, but I am a social person, and I live in a very small town so I haven't met A LOT of new people yet.

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »
Yeah, out of all of the possible things to be worried about during a GEPIK orientation such as

1)  Will the lectures be useful?
2)  Outside of the lectures, can I get other practical tips?
3)  Will my sleeping accommodations be adequate?
4)  Will the food be good?

The question of being allowed to drink alcohol ranks way up there.   All those other concerns are trivial in comparison.   Especially since the orientation will be a whole 2 or 3 days.   Hardly anybody can stand to do without alcohol for 3 days right?

You don't find it demeaning?

We're even supposed to get a permission slip if we want to leave the facility.