October 17, 2017, 04:42:10 PM

Author Topic: Help! Huge classes + late students!  (Read 2191 times)

Offline rowanoak7

• Explorer
Help! Huge classes + late students!
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
I have a big problem with my classes. I teach at a public middle school and have 18 classes with 36 students each. Every day when the bell rings, only like 5-10 students are in the class with me and it takes a full ten minutes for all 36 to all show up. It's a pain because they are so distracting when they come in that I cannot start my lesson and when I just sit around waiting for them, the good students that were there on time get bored and start messing around.
All the solutions I tried fail with such masses of late kids. I tried to make everyone who was late stand up until they explained why there were late/answered some question, but there were so many that lots would sit down or trade seats and I would lose track of who I was punishing! I tried standing at the door and only letting them in when they apologized, but lots of them would slip past and go in the other door.
My coteacher is generally like 10 mins late too! Right now, I just show a music video for the kids that were on time in the hopes that the late kids would want to come on time to watch it, but it doesn't really work. What should I do? Please help!

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
Re: Help! Huge classes + late students!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
If you can read hangul at all, ask if you can get a copy of each class's attendance sheet. These are called 학생명렬표 or sometimes 학급명렬 in Korean. Then take attendance at the beginning of each class (or even easier, just ask the students who are on time what their number is) and report the late students to the homeroom teacher. That's how I get all my high schoolers in the classroom on time.

Offline CURSEBREAKER

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Wow! How frustrating! The music video idea sounds like a winner. Maybe the Co-teacher should be asked to dance to the video in  front of the room every time the Co-teacher comes in late! LOL! ;)
Whatever you do, keep smiling and don't let it get you down!

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
Do you have a gap between lessons? Start your class when the last student arrives and note the time on the board that the class started. Also, note the time the class will finish (+50 mins). It's punishing the whole class by keeping them back but after a few weeks they'll get the message. Also, if students are particularly good, let them leave when the bell goes but make the late ones/ones who do nothing in class stay back until your allotted class time is up.

With lunch time classes, I sometimes tell them that if they finish the work/activity I give them, they can leave 5 minutes early (thus skipping the lunch queue). If they don't finish or appear not to be trying, I make them stay 5 minutes later (no skin off my nose because there's a separate teacher queue). They love going to lunch early and hate being kept back.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline ifyouknewme

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:44:02 PM »
wow and I thought 32 students are a lot! :S

I used some of these for the 6th grade elementary school kids, so I don't know if it will work for your situation. Normally, when a whole bunch is late, I will let them some grace time. But when there's most of the class and about 5 are late, I would make them come up to the front of the classroom and make them do embarrassing stuff. They are told that they can not go back to their seat until they do something. I'll make them imitate animals like monkey, tiger, elephant, duck, cat, etc. I would not do dog, because there are a lot of dogs in Korean curse words. Sometimes I would make them dance to famous songs like "nobody". Other classmates enjoy their classmates being embarrassed. And they will pressure the students to act out the punishment. And embarrassed students seem to not like it, but they're not embarrassed to the point they'll break down and cry.

Also I'll make one or two extremely late students to stand at the back of the classroom with their hands over their hand, facing the wall. I will be strict and make them turn around when they start to look at the classroom. I'll keep it for around 10 minutes, in the beginning of the class.

Generally I act positive and I'm always smiling in my classes, but when I give them punishments, for instance, making  them stay after class, I take the smile off my face, not because I'm angry, but because I'm serious about what I'm trying to communicate with them. Making them stay late works best when you pull out one of them. I'll make them look at my eyes and make them promise things like not reading comic book during class or being rude in the classroom. At that time my co-teacher translates for me.

Offline danitravels

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you, 38 kids each class and like 5 of which are on time. I've started setting a stopwatch for 45 minutes from the time the last student comes in the door, which is how long my classes are. They have 10 minutes between every class, which I feel encourages them to be late rather than on time. The stopwatch method has gotten some of them to figure it out, but there are a few that seriously don't care... at least their friends beat up on them when they're late! :)

Offline murakano121

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »
my classes average 38 students but luckily they just have their own homerooms which I goto so no issues of lateness.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:36:32 PM by murakano121 »

Offline CURSEBREAKER

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »
What did you finally do about your tardy co-teacher? ;D I have a similar situation.

Offline adhaglin

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
dealing with this now, too. a huge pain.

Offline gmhahn

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »
Last week someone on here suggested using www.online-stopwatch.com. I just started using it for late/misbehaving classes. As students show up late or talk out of turn during class, I tell them "okay, you just added another minute to the stopwatch". At the end of class after the bell rings, I make the the whole class sit quietly as they watch the stopwatch countdown. If even one students talks during the countdown, I pause the stopwatch until they're quiet again. Of course the others students get so angry at each other for making me pause it, which is just what I want. I've found this to work even with the worst of classes who want to leave as soon as the bell rings. It's amazing how long 4 minutes is when you're just watching it tick down.

Offline KathyForeigner

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
I have a similar problem. I don't really care much about the students being late. It's not more than helf the class and I just start the lesson anyway and they come in quietly. My problem is different. The class is 44 students and the way my co-teacher handles it is by making me take half the class and she takes the rest of the students in a seperate area. It worked a few times due to the novelty of being taught solely in English and the pride those students felt being able to understand me. But 'my' class is learning really slowly and are becoming more and more unruly. I'm not sure how to get out of the situation... Techniques for staying/changing the situation anyone?

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
I'd lock the door a minute or two after the bell, keep all the late-comers outside, and then punish them at a convenient time.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment