October 19, 2017, 04:25:36 PM

Author Topic: Things Koreans do that irks us  (Read 31600 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: Things Koreans do that irks us
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Somewhat relevant.  I get annoyed when some Koreans assume I can't read hangeul at all because I can't decipher cursive as well.  Maybe if it wasn't chicken scratch, I could read it just fine.  Lemme scribble some English cursive and see how well you do  :rolleyes:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
Somewhat relevant.  I get annoyed when some Koreans assume I can't read hangeul at all because I can't decipher cursive as well.  Maybe if it wasn't chicken scratch, I could read it just fine.  Lemme scribble some English cursive and see how well you do  :rolleyes:

Some of that shit is incomprehensible top me. I just say "Microsoft Hangul, please."

Makes me wonder if that's what my handwriting looks like to them. hahahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »

This shit is nuts. Annoys me as well

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

You must not be very fluent in Korean. If you were, you would be able to read Korean handwriting without problems.

:angel:

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:15 PM »

You must not be very fluent in Korean. If you were, you would be able to read Korean handwriting without problems.

hehe I admitted my level earlier. I also stand by what I said. Basic mistakes in any language make me question ones fluency, especially when they only used 3-4 words in that language. If 1/4th of your writing has errors in it, you're not doing a very good job.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline moonskie

• Waygookin
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »
If you can't spell a basic word, I wonder how good your Korean really is. Maybe there's another reason(besides your race) why they are speaking to your SO rather than you.

And you think... what? That native Koreans are immune to misspelling their language's words? Plus 외 and 왜 aren't exactly dissimilar.

Of course people can misspell words. However, if you're claiming to speak a language and you make a basic mistake, one can't help but wonder how fluent you are/if they(the waitstaff) can really understand you. If someone claimed to speak English and subsequently misspelled an easy word, then I'd question them as well.

A person in America could order "Hamburger give me" and the waitress would understand, but might ask the native speaking partner what they'd like on it or if there's anything special they would like done to it.
You can't be serious! Do you know how many people spell the word "definitely" wrong? Definately. Definitaly. Defanately. Definetely. Definetily. It's feels almost endless. Some of these people are university educated folks who are still using an incorrect spelling. Does it matter? Do I assume they can't speak English because of that? So silly.

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
This all reminds me of how some English speakers get butthurt when my wife, who clearly does not speak English as well as they do, says jokingly that their English sucks. They'd be all butthurt and try to defend their honor in the English language.

Seems like there's a bit of inferiority complex going on in this thread.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
This all reminds me of how some English speakers get butthurt when my wife, who clearly does not speak English as well as they do, says jokingly that their English sucks. They'd be all butthurt and try to defend their honor in the English language.

Seems like there's a bit of inferiority complex going on in this thread.

Seems like you've realized your viewpoint sucks and now your last resort is to try to silence the other viewpoint by claiming any rebuttal is evidence of being overly defensive and by extension, wrong.

If you think fluency in speaking and listening requires perfect spelling, you're just wrong. I'm sorry that facts don't agree with you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:33:19 PM by scpru »

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
If you can't spell a basic word, I wonder how good your Korean really is. Maybe there's another reason(besides your race) why they are speaking to your SO rather than you.

And you think... what? That native Koreans are immune to misspelling their language's words? Plus 외 and 왜 aren't exactly dissimilar.

Of course people can misspell words. However, if you're claiming to speak a language and you make a basic mistake, one can't help but wonder how fluent you are/if they(the waitstaff) can really understand you. If someone claimed to speak English and subsequently misspelled an easy word, then I'd question them as well.

A person in America could order "Hamburger give me" and the waitress would understand, but might ask the native speaking partner what they'd like on it or if there's anything special they would like done to it.
You can't be serious! Do you know how many people spell the word "definitely" wrong? Definately. Definitaly. Defanately. Definetely. Definetily. It's feels almost endless. Some of these people are university educated folks who are still using an incorrect spelling. Does it matter? Do I assume they can't speak English because of that? So silly.

While "definitely" isn't a hard word, it is a longer one. When I said basic, I meant widely used as well as being easy to spell. One example would be spelling "for" as "four" or as "foor".

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
While "definitely" isn't a hard word, it is a longer one. When I said basic, I meant widely used as well as being easy to spell. One example would be spelling "for" as "four" or as "foor".

There/they're/their

Your/you're

Notice how these words sound similar, like 왜 and 외

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »

There/they're/their

Your/you're

You're/your. If you can't use these correctly, then I assume the person is an idiot. Same with the there/they're/their.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
Ugh - what a bunch of nerds.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
You're/your. If you can't use these correctly, then I assume the person is an idiot. Same with the there/they're/their.

Even an idiot can be fluent in a language, though.

Case in point: me.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »

I know a dude who's in his late 30s and spells "our", "are", and "hour" all as "our". "There" and "their" are also the same to him. This guy has never left Canada, his parents were born and raised there, same as him, but he can't spell to save his life. I should also note that he has no (professionally diagnosed) disorders that interfere with his ability to learn. He just doesn't care, but English is his first language and his FB posts hurt my soul.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
Ugh - what a bunch of nerds.

Agreed. hahahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »

:laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
Some of these people are university educated folks who are still using an incorrect spelling. Does it matter? Do I assume they can't speak English because of that? So silly.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Even here on Waygook, a site filled with university educated folk, a constantly see simple words spelled incorrectly. Super basic words! Stuff like "theatre", "colour", "centre", "axe", "traveller", and "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis".   :wink:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:57:48 PM by kyndo »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
After reading the last few pages...I think I'd rather have dinner with a bunch of slurping hacking ajosshis, than the waygook Korean grammar Nazi crowd. At least I'd be able to eat, get drunk and watch the ballgame with only occasional noise interruptions rather than a constant stream of babble in the background.

Congrats on making the Koreans in the first few pages seem not quite so bad.

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2017, 01:46:15 AM »
So, what did the farmer say to the chicken?

Cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck.

What did the chicken say to the farmer?

I can't understand your accent.  Where are you from?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment