June 26, 2017, 07:50:13 PM

Author Topic: The Exchange Rate right now... [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 118486 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: The Exchange Rate right now... [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #680 on: March 29, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #681 on: March 29, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
Triggering Article 50 has caused the pound to slide against the KRW. Great time to send money home to the UK.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #682 on: March 29, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »
Looking at the exchange rate from KRW>GBP makes me feel a bit ill now I'm no longer in
Korea. When I moved to Korea it was about £580 for a million. It dropped to £520 and stayed there for a while. The majority of money I sent home was around this rate. Now that I've left, it's around £720. WHYYY  :cry:

Offline Summer

• Veteran
« Reply #683 on: March 29, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
I would love to send money home, but the longer I stay here, the more money gets tied up in housing deposits, furniture, etc.

Same... Sent a bunch of money back last year (50mil) and now I have 20mil in the bank. Going to get married and buying a house in Korea in the next 3 years so I have to keep money here  :cry:

Did you know that eco-friendly can be budget-friendly?

Use my gift code NOQ158 to get $10 off $40 or more; or take $5 orders totaling less than $40.

Choose from 35,000+ healthy and "green" products (grocery items, beauty and cosmetics, and more). Visit iHerb.com today!

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #684 on: March 31, 2017, 10:53:20 PM »
Yeah, best rate it's been in a decade.
You are referring to the CAD-KRW, not USD-KRW, right?  (the latter is not true)

Yes, I am sorry.  I do sympathize.  Our exchange was bad like yours for several years.  I know all too well the frustration of it when you're trying to pay crap off.  As for us, once oil goes back up, our dollar will go back up and then we will have a bad rate again too.  I'm under no illusion about that.  Long term, Korea isn't going to pay off.  Best for us all to have an exit plan and not be here next decade.

Offline stan rogers

• Super Waygook
« Reply #685 on: April 03, 2017, 12:07:39 AM »
Yeah, best rate it's been in a decade.
You are referring to the CAD-KRW, not USD-KRW, right?  (the latter is not true)

Yes, I am sorry.  I do sympathize.  Our exchange was bad like yours for several years.  I know all too well the frustration of it when you're trying to pay crap off.  As for us, once oil goes back up, our dollar will go back up and then we will have a bad rate again too.  I'm under no illusion about that.  Long term, Korea isn't going to pay off.  Best for us all to have an exit plan and not be here next decade.

My exit plan is death. When I'm dead I'm definitely outa here!

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #686 on: April 03, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »
Your remains will go to a Western cemetery rather than a Korean one?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • The octopus has a big clock.
« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2017, 11:44:14 AM »
Hopefully this hullabaloo with North Korea is a short-term thing.

Canadian Dollar is now stronger than the Australian.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
Either way, we all ought to use this time to save.  Who knows what the next decade will bring or not bring.  We all may see a slump and have to return home.  For now, pinch the pennies and send as much home as possible while the rates are good (if they are good for you). 

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
Either way, we all ought to use this time to save.  Who knows what the next decade will bring or not bring.  We all may see a slump and have to return home.  For now, pinch the pennies and send as much home as possible while the rates are good (if they are good for you).

I'd rather enjoy life rather than pinching pennies, but to each their own. It's easy enough to save $1000+/month without pinching pennies. Saving an extra couple hundred while foregoing life's pleasures wouldn't make that much difference in the long run financially anyway.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #690 on: April 11, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
Saving an extra couple hundred while foregoing life's pleasures wouldn't make that much difference in the long run financially anyway.
I hear you about pinching pennies and balancing life's pleasures.

However, if you honestly believe that saving a couple extra hundred dollars each month wouldn't make a difference in the long run...you best have someone else handle your finances, as nothing could be further from the truth.

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
It's important to note that spending money does not equate to happiness or enjoying life. It's important to have hobbies but hey, a stupid purchase is a stupid purchase. We've all had plenty of those.
Let's look at the scenario where you decide to save instead of spend.

Assuming you invest the extra money you save from penny pinching, it will net you on average 7% per year. In 10 years, $200 per month of penny pinching would on average be able to get you about $33,000 ($24,000 invested, $9000 profit). While you might scoff at that $33,000; 7% of that is also nearly worth $200/mo. That's money you earn for simply breathing. Money you can either spend or remain invested. Or, under the 4% safe withdrawal rate, you'd be able to withdraw $110 extra per month for the remainder of your life.

It's up to you to decide whether $110/mo for just sleeping and going about your life makes a difference to you financially. To me it is because it's nearly 10% of my expenses.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #692 on: April 12, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »

I'd rather enjoy life rather than pinching pennies, but to each their own. It's easy enough to save $1000+/month without pinching pennies. Saving an extra couple hundred while foregoing life's pleasures wouldn't make that much difference in the long run financially anyway.

Except if the rug gets pulled out from under you and you have nothing to live on and can't buy food.  Experiencing a bout of unemployment isn't fun.  Trust me; I've been there.  Had to skimp to two meals a day for a very brief time.  (It was a great way to lsoe weight I guess.)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #693 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
I think thermonuclear war is less likely than last week?

Won is finally below 850.

Spend your money the way you want:)
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #694 on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »
Sweetness!!

2,000,000 KRW =
2,377.781CAD

Stay down Cdn Dollar.... 

Stay down till a couple of days after payday.  Woo Hoo!

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #695 on: April 24, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
2,000,000 KRW = 1,773.671 USD  :cry:

Offline Jgrat

• Super Waygook
« Reply #696 on: April 25, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »

Actually, saving just 100 extra dollars a month over 35 years could result in compounded gains of around $135,496 dollars. (inflation adjusted $135,496 would spend like $61,500 approx 2017 dollars).

Annual Savings $1200
7% average compounded return
Time of Compounding Returns 35 years

But I agree with you a little extra fun now while you're young and can enjoy it or a used Porsche when you're retired.

The edit was a minor math error. I accidentally entered the wrong historical average for inflation. Sorry, It's early still.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:17:09 AM by Jgrat »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #697 on: April 25, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

Sorry man.  Your President's bringing back the jobs and firing the economy on full recovery.  The US dollar will rise.  Fortunately for Canadians in Korea, we have a spongehead for a Prime Minister who will drive our dollar down by sheet stupidity of economic policies meant to drive jobs away.  (He does what the globalists tell him to do without an independant intelligent thought of his own.)  At least I can bank some coin for the time being. 

As for what you're going through, I went through it for several years.  It sucked when trying to pay off debt.  At least you may have a good economy to return to eventually.  I'm not sure what I can return to. 

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #698 on: April 25, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »

Sorry man.  Your President's bringing back the jobs and firing the economy on full recovery.  The US dollar will rise.  Fortunately for Canadians in Korea, we have a spongehead for a Prime Minister who will drive our dollar down by sheet stupidity of economic policies meant to drive jobs away.  (He does what the globalists tell him to do without an independant intelligent thought of his own.)  At least I can bank some coin for the time being. 

As for what you're going through, I went through it for several years.  It sucked when trying to pay off debt.  At least you may have a good economy to return to eventually.  I'm not sure what I can return to.

My grandparents hate Pierre and how the debt changed under his leadership.

A lower dollar is good for exports and makes Canada a more attractive place for business. A rise back to 90 cents would be pretty bad for what some might argue, are industries in fairly bad shape.

Also, the dollar is back to the mid 830s, so think about exchanging if you you just got paid.
-AP

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #699 on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »

Actually, saving just 100 extra dollars a month over 35 years could result in compounded gains of around $135,496 dollars. (inflation adjusted $135,496 would spend like $61,500 approx 2017 dollars).

Annual Savings $1200
7% average compounded return
Time of Compounding Returns 35 years

But I agree with you a little extra fun now while you're young and can enjoy it or a used Porsche when you're retired.

The edit was a minor math error. I accidentally entered the wrong historical average for inflation. Sorry, It's early still.
That 7% return is a dream.

That's the number they told me 20 years ago when I graduated. 

It isn't true.

Recent Lesson Plans

Speaking Based Camps by cryden
[Today at 05:01:27 PM]

Video Challenge by MattyC31
[Today at 04:31:25 PM]

Moana Camp by hloper2008
[Today at 03:13:44 PM]

Spelling Bee Bomb Game by ashwalton
[Today at 01:58:28 PM]

Resource for Activities by joemacpherson01
[Today at 12:51:08 PM]