December 17, 2017, 02:32:35 AM

Author Topic: How Many Lessons Do You Make A Week?  (Read 19624 times)

Offline Tpre022

• Veteran
Re: Do I have too much lesson planning?
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
There's been a couple of threads about this before. Basically, many or perhaps most teachers plan a lot less (sometimes 1 or two a week at big high schools or something), but there's quite a lot of us who do that many or more. Small elementary schools often require that of their teachers. I teach at a school similar to yours and I do ~16.

Offline w4z

• Veteran
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
That's a crazy amount of lessons to plan. I thought I had a lot as I plan one class for grade 1, one for grade 2, one 90 min advanced writing class and a 3 hour saturday class. I don't know how you cope... Good luck.

I can do it, but I am running out of material fast.  I instituted  theme weeks for 2nd grade and 5th grade to slow down the inevitable wall I will hit sometime in the fall by my estimation.  I now spend a lot of my down time at home thinking about what the hell to do.

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
If your school will pay for it, like they have for our dept, www.flashduck.co.kr is a valuable resource. We have been using it for over a year and haven't run out of ideas and worksheets yet!

Offline dolphingurl2022

• Veteran
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
I'm at a bigger middle school and I do about 10 every week...every plan I write must also be extremely detailed and be about 2 pages long....

Considering you're at a smaller school it's expected that you'll have more then someone at a bigger school although with 6 of them you have your co-teacher's help so you're actually pretty much the same as me for number of lessons you plan on your own. 

It's a lot of work and yea there are teachers who probably only have to plan a few lessons every week (some i've heard only about 2 or 3) but there are also those that have to plan more...for smaller schools it's always more because you see your students a lot a more...for bigger schools though (aside from my school which seems to be the exception) it's a lot less which means less lessons....as long as you like your school/job then the amount of lessons you plan really doesn't matter as much :-)

Offline Sprite06

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • Waygook Turtle
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
My school has 40 students and I do the same as you.

It's exhausting.

Offline cgreen

• Adventurer
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
I know how you feel.  I've been at my school almost 2 years and this is the first semester I've had a co-teacher.  I'm at a small school and we do about 17 lesson plans a week (grades 1-6 and after school classes).  This year it's better because like I said I have co-teacher. 

It's unfortunate but there's nothing we can do.  I have friends at larger elementary schools (as a result, they only teach 2 grades) and have to do no more than 4 lesson plans a week.  Hang in there...