December 12, 2017, 06:42:17 AM

Author Topic: How Many Lessons Do You Make A Week?  (Read 19559 times)

Offline kleigh

• Adventurer
How Many Lessons Do You Make A Week?
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
Hi all.I'd just like to find out how many other teachers have a crazy amount of lesson plans to make per week?
I teach at two schools. At one school, I teach grade 1,2,3, special education class ( and 3 conversation classes with the same students). At the other school I teach grades 1 and 3, taking it up to 9 different  lesson plans per week. Both schools expect me to follow the books, and they have different  books.plus,conversation classes need to be different everyday...and interesting.

It takes a lot of time to prepare good classes and my free time after school is limited.
Are any of you in a similar situation,and how do you cope?

Offline Lever

• Adventurer
Re: How many lesson plans do you make a week? I hafta make 9
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
If you don't count the national curriculum books, I have 14 lesson plans a week.  I can usually get parts of 5 of them to repeat, but that's about it.  What I try to do in my school that's one day a week is use the book (even though I can't take it home, and I don't always know what page we'll be on) and then add an activity that has nothing to do with it.
eg.
The 2nd grade book was dealing with introductions.  So, I taught 2 pages, then we worked on numbers.  I had everyone count to 10, then we watched a short clip, then we played tic tac toe using a 3x3 grid that I had written the numbers in earlier.

What I can recommend is getting them interested in games that are interchangeable.  For example bingo.  If you have enough vocab words, you can honestly put just about anything in a 4x4 grid, and have them use the language.  Matching ppt games are good as well.  Once you find a template you like, it's easy to just switch out the images.

Offline kleigh

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »
Thanks...
Most people I know only plan about 2/3 lesson  per week....
How on earth do you manage 14? May I ask why so many and do you some times not use the lessons in the book and use one lesson across all classes?

Offline natale_laplante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
I usually do about two. I don't know how anyone could do fourteen!  :o

Offline pohangmimi

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
I usually do 2 every other month for my more "progressive" co teacher. The rest of the time my co teachers have me standing off to the side while they teach. Every now and then I do the "human tape recorder" and repeat a line here and there. I'm not complaining. That's just how the men want things done.

Offline kleigh

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
PohangMimi, that sounds too good to be true.. I'd love to do 2 or 3 lesson plans a week... hahah but 2 every other month...  do you teach elementary?

Offline hkg123

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled across this.  I was feeling sorry for myself having worked all weekend on lesson plans and my weekly video broadcast!  I have to do 5 plus that freakin video broadcast and I've been feeling overwhelmed with work.  No more!

Offline chocopie

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »
I have 16 lesson plans a week. Mainly becuase I have a lot of after-school classes with mixed grades and I only see each mixed class once so I can't do the same lesson twice as they might notice.

Offline hardhitten

• Newgookin
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
I have to make 10 but 1 is for an after school class. What group of kids do you work with? I teach in a middle school.

Offline lois87

• Newgookin
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

I'm teaching at elementary and I have to plan 5 a week, including the teachers class!

Offline kleigh

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »
wow that sounds hectic. I have a hard time making 9 interesting lesson plans...but 16? that is crazy...

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
I teach 27 different classes a week = 27 different lesson plans.

Although, at times we teach same material for 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th for after school classes.

It's exhausting but never boring!  :)

Offline kleigh

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO way! Tfuller... how,why,what? i'm astounded... and you manage to make all your classes interesting?
props to you!

Offline lyou4299

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »
I have 9 as well. 1st and 2nd are difficult because there's no book, but the others are a piece of cake to plan for.

Offline pohangmimi

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
"PohangMimi, that sounds too good to be true.. I'd love to do 2 or 3 lesson plans a week... hahah but 2 every other month...  do you teach elementary?"

Nope! All boy's middle school. I have all older male co teachers (late 40's to late 50's), and the head guy sets the rules.  The progressive one thinks I should do something a little more than look cute and repeat a couple of lines. But that's only for his classes.

I thought it was strange at first, but here I am going on year 3 of the same thing. Like I said, I'm not complaining, it could be worse.

Offline sajia

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »
I make about 9 lesson plans a week also... It is difficult to make lesson plans for grades 1 and 2.. but its more difficult to make lesson plans for Kindergartens.. I have 3 kindergarten classes from age 5- 7 and they are all at different levels, thus i have to make two lesson plans for kindergarten classes. 1 more age 6-7 and the other for age 5.

Offline Rose-uh-teacher

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
My school came to me on Friday afternoon and asked for a years worth of lesson plans by the upcoming week for kindergarten through to grade 6 and all afterschool classes. I tried to make it clear that I didn't think that I could do all of that in 1 week but have a big problem saying no anyone anyway. Should I just say no straight out do you think or give it my best shot and see what happens?

Offline tfuller

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO way! Tfuller... how,why,what? i'm astounded... and you manage to make all your classes interesting?
props to you!

I think it's one downside to working in a small elementary school. I'm teaching K-6th (each grade fits in one class), after school classes for all grades, and also do 3 'extra' English classes in the morning for 3, 4 and 6.

But i think the positives outweigh the negatives, as i know most kids by their names now.

Sometimes it's just not possible to make all classes interesting, so generally our after school classes are just a lot of games and fun activities i.e easy to plan and teach.

Offline Lever

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Thanks...
Most people I know only plan about 2/3 lesson  per week....
How on earth do you manage 14? May I ask why so many and do you some times not use the lessons in the book and use one lesson across all classes?

The 14 are my after school classes, I wasn't counting the "class" classes.   :D ;)  It usually takes my classes the full 40 minutes to do the "class" textbooks, so that doesn't lend itself for me really having to "plan" for those classes.  I'm not gonna lie, it's rough, but what are you gonna do? 

Offline morrisonhotel

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
I would say 7 or 8 would be a normal week.