November 19, 2017, 09:13:43 AM

Author Topic: Ferry sinking on its way to Jeju-Do  (Read 70964 times)

Offline EL34

• Expert Waygook
Re: Ferry sinking on it's way to Jeju-Do
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Come on, people. There are so many factors at play here causing this tragedy, the least of which being a lack of swimming lessons. You make it sound like it's these people's fault they drowned. If you're so confident in your assessment of the situation you can go tell one of the grieving mothers "If only you had signed your kid up for swimming lessons, then he might be alive right now."
uhh, person. only one person said that.

did anyone read this part of the reddit post? unbelievable.

15:15 KST. A ... JTBC news anchor was interviewing one of the survivors, a female high school student. He asked, "do you know that one of your friends had died?". The student, who didn't know about the death of one of the students, answered "no" with a quavering voice and promptly started sobbing on live air. Furious netizens are displaying their anger on various SNS, including the news channel's official twitter.

Yeah, that's pretty low. Reporter will manipulate people by asking them questions they know will make them cry, but that takes the cake.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 08:14:06 PM »
Articles saying about 290 are now unaccounted for, and rescued people saying that there were people below decks, and everyone was told by the PA to stay in their seats at first.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/04/116_155513.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/world/asia/south-korean-ferry-accident.html?hp

Offline DownnDirty

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »
There is a Korean news report that suggests they rescued the captain and some crew members before other passengers.  Image below:

http://media.daum.net/issue/627/newsview?issueId=627&newsid=20140416161007028

http://i.imgur.com/goxx5BN.jpg

I can't imagine the outrage if this is true. 

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
"At one point, the school announced that all students had been rescued but soon rescinded the announcement, to the parents' wrath."

That is unbelievably cruel.  You don't make an announcement like that until you know for absolute sure.  I can't even begin to imagine the pain of just waiting to hear from your child in such a situation.  My thoughts are with everyone involved. 

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
My wife is watching SBS now and they're saying 4 dead and 284 missing.

Offline saram_

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
4 dead and 284 Unaccounted for is the latest yep..

An absolutely terrible tragedy..

Been following this all day and initially it seemed like the situation was under control.
The Media let out that all were safe etc.
The school sent out messages to all the Parents that all the students were safe.

A lot of confusion, ANGER AND FRUSTRATION out there right now.
I expect this to drag on for a long while..

Difficult to comprehend :(

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
Re: Ferry sinking on its way to Jeju-Do
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
I will apologize for my "Koreans should learn to swim" comment. I said it when the media made it seem like everything was fine and rescue teams were on the scene and getting everyone off the ship. Now that it seems like hundreds of people could be missing, I can certainly see that it sounds callous and pointless. There's tons of other issues that faced the people on that boat that have absolutely nothing to do with swimming. And we won't know what really happened for days. We all work with Korean kids every day and losing even 1 of them would be a massive blow to any of us. Let's hope for the best.

Again I apologize and let's get back on topic.

Offline TheTromboner

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
Were there no lifeboats?

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan

Offline GoCyclones

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:52 AM »
It's EXACTLY as I suspected... kids were told to "stay put" over the loudspeakers.  It totally makes sense as to why so few people were rescued.

I'm sorry, but this sounds so Korean, it just angers the #*$(*# out of me.  I felt a sick feeling in my stomach about this tragedy all yesterday, but I'm just mad today about this.  Really, really angry. 

I used to teach at a high school, and I totally see this kind of thing happening... where some dumb administrator says, "stay put."

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 06:01:07 AM »
From the BBC travel correspondent

Survivors have also complained that they were told to stay put even though the ferry was tipping over. That's not as surprising as you might think. The basic assumption is always that the ship is the best lifeboat. That it's normally safer to stay on board than brave the water.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »
Well it's first thing Thursday morning and the news is saying 6 dead and 290 missing.

Offline Squire

• Super Waygook
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 06:33:04 AM »
Realistically, at this point, does 290 missing mean 290 dead? It seems that way to me.

Offline weRborg

• Super Waygook
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
Realistically, at this point, does 290 missing mean 290 dead? It seems that way to me.

Sad, but likely.

I mean, there is the slim chance that a few were picked up by other boats and have been counted. Or some might have drifted to nearby islands. There's also the very very slim chance there are air pockets in the boat and people are holding out down there. But again, that is a very very small probability.

I think by the end, there will be at least a hundred or two confirmed dead, many of them high school or elementary students. It makes my stomach sick thinking about it. God, it's awful. You want to be angry, but who can you be angry towards? Maybe the captain or whomever made the decision to not have enough life boats. But still, they don't deserve the full blame. It's just frustrating and sad, such a tragedy.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

Offline TheTromboner

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »

Probably, but you keep searching regardless.  Makes me feel sick thinking about the whole situation.  Why were they told to stay seated if the ship was already listing badly to one side?  Where were the lifeboats?  I can't imagine how I would feel if my students were on that ferry.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 07:24:02 AM »
It's EXACTLY as I suspected... kids were told to "stay put" over the loudspeakers.  It totally makes sense as to why so few people were rescued.

I'm sorry, but this sounds so Korean, it just angers the #*$(*# out of me.  I felt a sick feeling in my stomach about this tragedy all yesterday, but I'm just mad today about this.  Really, really angry. 

I used to teach at a high school, and I totally see this kind of thing happening... where some dumb administrator says, "stay put."

See

Survivors have also complained that they were told to stay put even though the ferry was tipping over. That's not as surprising as you might think. The basic assumption is always that the ship is the best lifeboat. That it's normally safer to stay on board than brave the water.

They should have stayed on the ship as long as possible, but made their way to the outside/top. Really, you want to stay out of the water as long as possible, but of course not get stuck inside the ship as it lists.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:35:48 AM by gagevt »
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 07:27:22 AM »
I can't imagine how I would feel if my students were on that ferry.

That's what I keep thinking. They're listing the rescued students now and in some classes there's only one or two confirmed survivors. I can't imagine what those kids are going through. I don't know what I'd do if I went into work one day and discovered most of my students were missing or dead.

Offline tr06

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:22 AM »
A couple of the teachers at my school, being former teachers of these students, received phone calls from students as the ship was sinking exclaiming how scared they were.  The mood at my school in Ansan, very close to Danwon, is extremely dismal.  I really hope the brothers and sisters of my students who were on the boat are ok.  :(

Offline TheTromboner

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »

See

They should have stayed on the ship as long as possible, but made their way to the outside/top. Really, you want to stay out of the water as long as possible, but of course not get stuck inside the ship as it lists.

Stay on the ship makes sense, but stay in your seat below decks?  That's crazy, nearly suicidal.  It sounds like there was no passenger evacuation system given the massive number of presumed missing.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 07:48:28 AM »
Tragic indeed and a lot of finger-pointing and face-saving is bound to happen after an incident like this (not limited to Korea).

We should all be saddened by this and not join in with wild speculations and comments about Koreans not being able to swim. Clearly in this situation being able to swim probably wouldn't make too much of a difference (it would help of course) due to the low water temperature. So unless you were able to swim to a rescue craft quickly or paddle in your life jacket, chances are you wouldn't survive.

It is pretty certain most died from being trapped and it was not cause by their swimming ability or lack thereof.

Sad day for all.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!