October 24, 2017, 05:53:03 AM

Lesson Plan Downloads

Lesson Plan Downloads:  Full access to Lesson Plans are available with a subscription; monthly and yearly options are available for your convenience.  Click here for Subscriptions (You can also click here for details)

Author Topic: Board Game Camp  (Read 13959 times)

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
Board Game Camp
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »
English Game Masters
The camp taught language used when playing games. We mostly played the games as a large group each day and then the final day was spent playing games in small groups using a 20 minute timer to rotate around tables.
I'll post each day's materials on a separate post. There are 4 days (+1 post for book materials)

Edit: In the PPT "Games in English", there's a slide that says watch and listen. There was a video the Korean teachers and me acted in. I don't have it anymore. They were embarrassed and asked me not to share it so I didn't keep it. You'll have to use your imagination and make a skit on your own. Just use the vocabulary from the other parts of the lesson (roll the dice, it's your turn, i won, etc).

Day 1
Introduction
About Me Jenga
Games in English
Faces, Faces
MOD EDIT: Board game compliments of travelinpantsgirl
Please give credit to other users when you create material using their original templates
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:25:21 PM by travelinpantsgirl »

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
Re: Board Game Camp
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »
We skipped Category Cards due to time constraints. Thanks to whoever made the Mario Adventure Game. It was excellent. To practice the months of the year, we played LIAR. The dancing thing ended up being split between today and the next two days to give the entire class a chance to dance.

Day 2
Choose your own Adventure
Date Dance Party ( )
Make a Calendar (craft)

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
Again, due to time, we completely canceled Mystery Clues. We did Categories first. We didn't do Alphabet Soup. Instead we elected to spend more time on the Calendar dance. But I'm putting the Boggle game up in case you want to use it.

Day 3
Categories
Alphabet Soup
Dirt Parfait (cooking)

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »
This day was the easiest of all. We started by finishing the remaining students who hadn't danced yet. Then we put the students into groups of 4. We set up tables with different board games or card games around the room. Each group got 10 minutes at a table. We did this for 80 minutes. The games were Guess Who, Scrabble, Jenga, LIAR, Uno (2 times), and two tables that they could choose (either LIAR or Jenga). We have all these games so no materials were needed but I know I've seen most of them on waygook if you need them. The cheat sheets were on each table so the students could try to speak English.

Day 4
Game Rotation
Golden Bell

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »
Book Materials
We mostly used these for homework since we ran out of time on most days. The exception is the stuff for the Mario Choose your own Adventure Game. We made a rule that if you started any page in your book before the teacher said go, you would lose one point. This was pretty effective.

Offline toddsqui

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
Here are some board games that I created recently (in 2014, for those of you who read this years later...)

These might prove a nice supplement!

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,76414.0.html - CANDY LAND
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,76944.0.html - SNAKES AND LADDERS
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,76960.0.html - FOILED!

Hope this helps!

-T
I created a small web course for newbie teachers on Udemy here.

Offline nadinea

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:03 AM »
Perhaps the original poster will see this. 
What is the date dance party? 

This is great! Thank you for the work.

Offline jeonozoo

• Waygookin
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
English Game Masters
The camp taught language used when playing games. We mostly played the games as a large group each day and then the final day was spent playing games in small groups using a 20 minute timer to rotate around tables.
I'll post each day's materials on a separate post. There are 4 days (+1 post for book materials)

Day 1
Introduction
About Me Jenga
Games in English
Faces, Faces

Could you give  me more explanation in detail?

I don't know how to use the HP cards and the HP game board is damaged.

Could you upload it once again?

I appreciate your efforts

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
Perhaps the original poster will see this. 
What is the date dance party? 

This is great! Thank you for the work.

Not sure what happened to the original link. The Youtube title is The Calendar Song - Kids + Children Learn English Songs and it's uploaded by Busy Beavers. Here's the link again.

English Game Masters

Day 1
Introduction
About Me Jenga
Games in English
Faces, Faces

Could you give  me more explanation in detail?

I don't know how to use the HP cards and the HP game board is damaged.

Could you upload it once again?

I appreciate your efforts

Not sure what the issue is. I just downloaded the board again and it isn't damaged. The HP cards are drawn when they land on a sorting hat space on the game board. Not sure what details you need. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them.

Offline nadinea

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I listened to the song.  I'm just not understanding the activity.  Do they place the card on the floor and make a dance?  I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Also, I just download all these and all the material appears to be working fine for me...

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:53:39 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I listened to the song.  I'm just not understanding the activity.  Do they place the card on the floor and make a dance?  I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Also, I just download all these and all the material appears to be working fine for me...

The dance is like DDR where you step on the arrows in tempo with the song. You lay the cards on the ground (tape is helpful so they don't slip) and then you "dance" by stepping on the card that matches the music. You can practice using two fingers on paper in the book/handout I posted.

Offline nadinea

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »

The dance is like DDR where you step on the arrows in tempo with the song. You lay the cards on the ground (tape is helpful so they don't slip) and then you "dance" by stepping on the card that matches the music. You can practice using two fingers on paper in the book/handout I posted.

Oh, ok thank you for the clarification.  One last question (I hope  :-[).  With the angry birds portion of the Mario game did you just hide the birds in the classroom? was it like a mini scavenger hunt?

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »

Oh, ok thank you for the clarification.  One last question (I hope  :-[).  With the angry birds portion of the Mario game did you just hide the birds in the classroom? was it like a mini scavenger hunt?

I printed and hid them around the class and in the hallway outside but if I was allowed, I would have hidden them all over the school. It's up to your school and students' level, I think. Just hide them well before class so no one sees where you hid them.

Offline nadinea

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 07:54:13 AM »

I printed and hid them around the class and in the hallway outside but if I was allowed, I would have hidden them all over the school. It's up to your school and students' level, I think. Just hide them well before class so no one sees where you hid them.

That's fantastic.  Thanks so much for your timely responses and for your great work on this camp.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:28:33 PM by nadinea »

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Added the scorecards to the first post. The card was folded like a book but that ended up being too big. You can probably just do one row instead of two. Or just give out more points.

Offline ican13

• Newgookin
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
Hello! Your camp idea is really interesting, which intrigued me  a lot!

I was wondering if you have lesson plans about this camp like how u organize and do it.

Things are a little bit out of order in each day. I really wanna try urs!

Thanks!

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Never wrote lesson plans. I didn't think they were needed. I'm not sure how these are out of order.
Just follow the numbers. For the first lesson, use ppt and doc numbered 1; for the second lesson, use the files numbered 2, etc etc.

Offline nadinea

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
Hello! Your camp idea is really interesting, which intrigued me  a lot!

I was wondering if you have lesson plans about this camp like how u organize and do it.

Things are a little bit out of order in each day. I really wanna try urs!

Thanks!

Also, if you download all the material and look through it, it's pretty straight forward.  I was also confused when I first looked at it but once it's downloaded it's pretty easy to understand.

Offline nadinea

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
English Game Masters

Day 1
Introduction
About Me Jenga
Games in English
Faces, Faces

ajr30 when you did the game terms did you do a video?  I see the ppt says watch and listen but there is nothing to watch or was it like a skit?

Thanks so much
nadine

Offline kicker_qb01

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I just did some games that really worked with my students and they caught on fast and enjoyed the games.  I have a small camp (2-3 students) but I'm sure these games would work in larger setting. 

I played UNO with them, found it at homeplus.  Kids really enjoyed it, I'd recommend investing in a set for your class if you don't already have one.

I also did Yahtzee, you can get Dice from homeplus (6 dice for a 1000 won) and it was easy to explain.  I'll attached a yahtzee pdf score sheet on this post.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment