October 24, 2017, 05:57:54 AM

Author Topic: EunHye Elementary School Slave contract BEWARE!  (Read 6711 times)

Offline CJKorea

• Explorer
EunHye Elementary School Slave contract BEWARE!
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:58:56 AM »
A warning that EunHye elementary School is a private elementary school located in Western Seoul. This school is currently looking for 3 new English teachers for March 3rd.
Where do I begin with this school?

Many factors at this school just don't add up at all, primarily the ever shrinking student enrolment and the deplorable building conditions on the top floor. Top floor area is where the foreign instructors teach. No working computers and desks and chairs are completely broken (top floor).   

1# The contract is absolutely ridiculous and insulting. Several clauses including holding teachers accountable for lost income and the rather unnecessary need to include and I quote "Inciting other Employees to act collectively against Eunhye Elementary School." is quite frankly an admission of serious staff issues or a very troubled past. I've never seen this ever on a contract in ROK yet..
Mandatory work on Saturdays when there is a "special event"...
Contract states pay is made as a deferred payment. :huh:

2# Poor communication between foreign staff and KETs. The NETs are unsure most of the time what is going on and are told on a need to know basis. (fairly typical)

3# No compensation for overtime hrs, yet the school claims that over 30hrs will be payed. 

4# Contract language is vague throughout! Defining terms
     of overtime and sick days are very unclear. (actually there is much contradiction as to how many days will actually be given.)   

I sincerely hope this school closes down for good. I am shocked and appalled by the building, working conditions and of the school's 2 faced attitude treatment towards it's NETs.
Not one NET has ever lasted more than 1 year.

I have gone as far as to have a labour attorney look at this contract to re-examine it.

I warn anyone who is job searching at the moment to stay as far away from this school as humanly possible.

I fully expect more reports to come from this school in the next few months.

I am posting this warning as a warning only and not to be malicious or vengeful in any way. I am doing this out of extreme concern for the health, safety and well being of anyone trying to find new employment opportunities. It's not going to be worth your time nor effort working at this school.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:48:28 PM by CJKorea »

Offline MintyBadger

• Newgookin
Re: EunHye Elementary School Slave contract BEWARE!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
Hi...I'm interviewing for a job here tomorrow and I'm worried that if I get to read the contract that it may have some the same issues you're talking about.  Actually,  I'd read it previously and told the guy I couldn't sign as it stood (penalties,  indemnification,  et cetera)...it sounds like a big risk (or several risks concentrated into one job).

On another ESL  site, another guy characterized it as "chill" and said the main issues lay in the drinking habits of former teachers (teacher?):

I saw this thread and I created a username specifically so that I could answer this. I just finished working at Eunhye. I was there for a year and a half. The job is great. It's a rich school, so the kids can definitely be a little stuck up, but it's nothing you can't handle. As far as the work environment goes, it's very chill. As long as you show up and take care of your stuff, you're fine. The bosses are all very easy going.

I noticed that people were speculating about the frequent job postings. When I started in the spring of 2012, they hired me and two other teachers. The three of us were supposed to stay for a year, but one of the other two teachers was a drunk and missed classes. He got fired and they had to get a new teacher for the second semester. After the second semester, the teacher who finished his year contract left and the teacher who replaced the bad teacher left, as he had only been hired to fill in for 1 semester. I signed on for 1 more semester only. They hire two new teachers and the three of us have just recently finished the spring semester. Now, they have just hired someone to replace me. I don't know if he's there for a semester or a full year.

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation. I was very satisfied with my time at Eunhye and I don't want to see it get a bad reputation for no reason. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
MintyBadger,

I guess I might be seeing you tomorrow? I'm also interviewing there. What time is your interview? I've seen mixed reviews about the school so I thought I would go and check it out for myself. If I get offered a dodgy contract, I can just walk away.

Hi...I'm interviewing for a job here tomorrow and I'm worried that if I get to read the contract that it may have some the same issues you're talking about.  Actually,  I'd read it previously and told the guy I couldn't sign as it stood (penalties,  indemnification,  et cetera)...it sounds like a big risk (or several risks concentrated into one job).

On another ESL  site, another guy characterized it as "chill" and said the main issues lay in the drinking habits of former teachers (teacher?):

I saw this thread and I created a username specifically so that I could answer this. I just finished working at Eunhye. I was there for a year and a half. The job is great. It's a rich school, so the kids can definitely be a little stuck up, but it's nothing you can't handle. As far as the work environment goes, it's very chill. As long as you show up and take care of your stuff, you're fine. The bosses are all very easy going.

I noticed that people were speculating about the frequent job postings. When I started in the spring of 2012, they hired me and two other teachers. The three of us were supposed to stay for a year, but one of the other two teachers was a drunk and missed classes. He got fired and they had to get a new teacher for the second semester. After the second semester, the teacher who finished his year contract left and the teacher who replaced the bad teacher left, as he had only been hired to fill in for 1 semester. I signed on for 1 more semester only. They hire two new teachers and the three of us have just recently finished the spring semester. Now, they have just hired someone to replace me. I don't know if he's there for a semester or a full year.

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation. I was very satisfied with my time at Eunhye and I don't want to see it get a bad reputation for no reason. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline dukie

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
MintyBadger,

Why are you interviewing for a job you had for a year and a half?  Or am I reading your post wrong?  Being hired for 6 months is highly irregular as well.  Do these applicants get a flight allowance or a bonus for only working those 6 months?  Probably not.   :cry:

Anyway, you explanation for your 1 post is feasible, but kind of fishy, something a owner or one of their lackies might do to justify it.

I don't know this hagwon or anyone that works there, but your post makes it me more apprehensive about this place.

I'm taking sides with the OP, this place sounds like, it doesn't treat their foreign employees very well.

Offline scholes

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »

I saw this on the davesesl, not a member there by the way just googled the school as my friend just recently got a job at private school.

This is a recruiter or someone from the school trolling as the exact same thing was posted on daves 18months ago

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=177781

Look at the last post on that thread, he never even bothered to change a word!

To think that they used it as a template since 2012.....didn't even bother to update it from 2012 which was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:43:59 AM by scholes »

Offline baphomet

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 02:23:49 PM »

I saw this on the davesesl, not a member there by the way just googled the school as my friend just recently got a job at private school.

This is a recruiter or someone from the school trolling as the exact same thing was posted on daves 18months ago

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=177781

Look at the last post on that thread, he never even bothered to change a word!

To think that they used it as a template since 2012.....didn't even bother to update it from 2012 which was a long time ago.

Dayum!  Busted.  Seriously screw all schools that worry more about their online presence than their physical presence.  I hope this school shuts down and catches on fire.

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:35:35 PM »
You guys are reading MintyBadgers post wrong. There is no conspiracy from the owner or recruiter.

They are interviewing for the job and have googled and wanted to ask about the school. They said they found a post on another website (obviously the same DavesESL post from 18 months ago) where the guy said the school was 'chill'. They then went on to copy the post, using : to clearly show it.

Offline scholes

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:50 PM »
You guys are reading MintyBadgers post wrong. There is no conspiracy from the owner or recruiter.

They are interviewing for the job and have googled and wanted to ask about the school. They said they found a post on another website (obviously the same DavesESL post from 18 months ago) where the guy said the school was 'chill'. They then went on to copy the post, using : to clearly show it.

Yeah you write but there was nothing said about the drinking habits on that thread. Couldn't differentiate then what was his own words and what wasn't.

Offline MintyBadger

• Newgookin
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:27:58 AM »
I think my post wasn't punctuated correctly so it read differently than intended.  I posted via smartphone...making it harder to edit my post as carefully as I customarily do.  I'm not a shill for this school.

It's rare that you see schools,  even ones that are doing badly, in such a state of disrepair that you despair the moment you see it.  Although you might be able to dismiss some of the OP's complaints as subjective or what have you...it's hard to risk your family's financial stability on an employer that sucks all the money out of their place of business and puts none into it's upkeep. 

Am I being too superficial here?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:59:34 AM by MintyBadger »

Offline D.J.Wallace

• Adventurer
  • Context is important
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
I interviewed at the school on Friday and was immediately offered the position after my demo class. I was surprised too by the speed at which they decided - many schools drag their heels and make decisions slowly due to principals etc.

Looking around the school, I wouldn't say that the conditions were deplorable; it's not a new school by any standard, but even the newer public schools I have visited have been in a bad condition, not a rationalisation just an explanation. The classrooms seemed to have up-to-date computers, but that's on first glance.

I accepted the position after talking about the hours and the pay. The contract clearly covers overtime and the expectations of weekend work should it arise and states compensation.  I was given plenty of time to check through the contract and answer any questions I had, there were some, and even the head teacher was able to see that some of the wording can be a little scary. I was also informed that the contract was written up by Yeonsae university as the programme was initially started by them, now Eunhye have taken over the syllabus themselves as far as I was told.

OP I'm wondering if you were offered the position, obviously you had the contract in hand, what did you do once you had the contract? What were your expectations. I would also encourage other professional teachers to watch what they say with regards to hoping that the school burns down. I personally would not want someone who says such awful things to be teaching my children, let's try and stay within professional bounds shall we?

My advice to anyone who is interviewed at this, or any school, read through the contract carefully. Ask for an extra one so you may take it home. Contracts can be amended at later dates - Eunhye also states this in the contract - don't be afraid to ask questions. This is a contract and an agreement between two parties, you must agree to the terms. If you think something is unfair, have it changed. These contracts should be there to protect both parties, and must be treated as such. In the case of the teacher who was a drunk, I was told about this teacher, and rightly so, the teacher should be fired, as well as have any ability to teach children anywhere revoked until he changes his ways.

I'm starting there next week. If anyone has any questions that they want to ask, you can reply to me on this thread or P.M me.

Offline maximuz04

• Newgookin
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 02:58:02 AM »
Hello,
I have been offered a job at Eunhye starting in March. So far, everything seems okay and while the contract does seem a bit overwhelming, it is nothing I haven't seen before. I was wondering if there are any words of wisdom you could offer? (maybe dirt?) I have other offers, but I really liked the vibe I got from Teresa and MJ. However, you never really know. 
I noticed 3 teachers there and from the sounds of it, it looks like they are getting three new ones this year. It is kind of alarming that this post shows that they cleaned house in 2015 and it seems like they are doing the same next year. Any thoughts on why? 
Final question, how many Saturdays do you actually work?
Thanks!

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
So they have had no foreign teachers renew for at least 2 years?

I would ask to speak to the existing teachers, and if they deflect or refuse, then avoid.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »
Either sign it or don't sign.  You can also modify or edit the contract, sign that one, and send it back.  If they don't accept, then move on. 

Offline D.J.Wallace

• Adventurer
  • Context is important
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
I'm actually at this school now, any questions you have, feel free to send them my way!

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
I'm actually at this school now, any questions you have, feel free to send them my way!
How long have you been here?
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline D.J.Wallace

• Adventurer
  • Context is important
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 09:29:36 PM »
I've been here since I posted last, around January 2015.

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
I've been here since I posted last, around January 2015.
Out of the current number of foreign teachers, how many have done gone on to do another year. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline D.J.Wallace

• Adventurer
  • Context is important
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
Out of the current number of foreign teachers, how many have done gone on to do another year. 

There were two of us who renewed last time around, but all three native teachers are leaving at the end of this February.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
I interviewed here and got a really weird vibe from the interviewers and the students and the school for being a private school was in horrendous shape. Like why is a private school in more disrepair than a public one?
Anyway they offered me the job but I turned it down because in the interview they kept saying things like "Don't you think it's the foreign teacher's fault if the students don't behave?, etc." I don't want to work where the blame game might take place and the kids weren't friendly either. I think I lucked out by declining.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
Why do they call themselves a "public" school?  Are they associated with Epik or any other regional government educational program.  I'd sue this school for false representation because what says they are a public school CLEARLY SOUNDS LIKE A HAKWON!  (and a very bad one at that) 

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment