October 19, 2017, 03:21:12 AM

Author Topic: Home Sweet Home  (Read 22539 times)

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
Re: Home Sweet Home
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
Sectarian rioting in the summer. People who make being cynical about absolutely anything  some kind of game. Crap weather all year round. No jobs. Early closing times for bars and mightclubs. Vandalism. Widespread robbery. People asking not-so-subtle questions to see if your a Catholic or Protestant. Answering said people, stating your an atheist and them asking you if your a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist.

There's just so much I miss  :D
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Offline dolphingurl2022

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 01:08:03 PM »
everything...all the quick and easy dinners like hamburger helper (and all the other types) + all the tons of millions frozen food items....sourdough bread!!  Skittles!!  other american goods that you can get at costco but not have to spend almost your whole months salary on!!!

Oh and real cherry coke...u can find it in korea but the recipe is different (same for all other sodas...even mountain dew and dr. pepper)...i think it's the sugar amounts or something but it definitely doesn't taste like home >.<

Offline jauntwithjo

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »
Those Asian boba/pearl drinks that are EVERWHERE in California. T_T I can only find milk tea in Namdaemun.

For those craving Skittles, a little ajumma corner shop within Jongro-3(sam)-ga sells the regular and sour ones. It's in that area past when you come from line 5 transferring to the orange line.

For those craving Reese's Pieces, have you tried the peanut button bonbons at the checkout at Home Plus Express? They're wrapped in silver with a red label. I actually like the creamy peanut filling in it more than Reeses!
Before you create a thread, remember waygook.org has a search engine! Please help keep the redundancy down. Do a little research of your own before making a thread in case the information is already available.

Offline travish65742

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 01:22:45 PM »
Reeses peanut butter cups.  Sandwiches with fresh bread.   Breakfast restaurants (none of them out here in rural Gyeongsangbuk-do, ha ha).  GRILLING OUT!  Trail mix bars.  Being notified of schedule changes in advance ;)

Oh, and my fiance', ha ha.

Ha I like how Reeses peanut butter cups is the first thing on your list instead of your fiance'. I do share a love for Reeses peanut butter cups though.

Offline misskris

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »

God I hope they have flax. Back home, I put flax on and in everything and my body is crying out for it.
[/quote]

They do have ground flax seed at costco!

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
My mum's cooking.  Good cadbury chocolate.  Diet Dr Pepper.  seedless grapes...the list is long!

Offline UKsimon

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
Large portion of chip shop chips with a large sausage, pickled onions and HP brown sauce.

Slap in some black pudding if you're feeling greedy  :P

Offline cleo999

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
My family and friends and animals ( thats a given )

Then : My double bed, oven, BATH, delicious tap water, beef , cheap fruit and veggies, my car ( esp when grocery shopping ), lekker south african men, good beer and being able to see the whole of the gorgeous sky at sunset - and loads more!

Im leaving in 6 weeks so im excited!

But there will be TONS of stuff ill miss here!!!

Offline vitamin-d

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
Mostly I miss my dear friend: Mary Jane.
http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,7772.0.html
for all my lesson plans & games...

Offline Castielle

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
  • PM for any query.
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
MY double bed, my dog, Romans Pizza, Black Label... Saffa things

and my family which is a given.
when in Rome.. Die eind resultaat moet die moeite werd wees!

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
Mostly I miss my dear friend: Mary Jane.

I dream about her almost every night. I wish I was kidding  :(

Offline NickJPrado

• Explorer
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
30 racks of beer... why can't I buy a damn box of beer?
Sam Adams Seasonal beers
bonfires
cookouts - marinated steak tips, smoked rack of ribs, beer up a chicken's butt,
PIE
breakfast diners
PIE again
GRASS soccer fields
wiffle ball
and my hookah
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:54:57 PM by summerthyme »

Offline conorsean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
and my hookah

If it's just hookah you're after (and not anything a bit more exotic  ;D), there are plenty of places in Seoul to smoke till your heart's content. 'Brix' in Iteaweon, Seoul being one I can name off the top of my head.

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »
MY double bed, my dog, Romans Pizza, Black Label... Saffa things

and my family which is a given.

OH MY WORD!! Frieken Roman's pizza!!!!!!  Die ene met die WHOLE STRIP OF BACON en feta!  Aaaaah!! yummy!!!!   

I'd kill for some SA booze... and I don't mean Amarula @ costco... Ciders *not* lemonade-type ;), beer on tap!  HAKKIESDRAAD (just kidding..)

Offline WorkingTitle3484

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
platanos (plantains) and rum, greasy diners, a bagel wit cream cheese, cafecito con leche (coffee with milk) without the frustration...
You get what you give :)

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
I have been here for less than a week, but there are a few things...obviously friends and family...I'm very close with them, so it's an adjustment...other than that

- Grass. It was the first thing I noticed I was missing...
- My car...mostly because if I had my trusty old beater I could explore much more of this country
- Cheap(er) cheese
- Veggie stuff (we're spoiled in Canada...there's a fake version of most kinds of meat, making being a vegetarian much easier)..also throw in just normal vegetables...seems to be pretty expensive/rare around here.
- Internet at home (will solve that problem once I get my ARC, though!)

Other than that...not much...I know it's a long list for less than a week, but there are tons of things I love here, and the experience is worth missing those things temporarily! :)
*click*

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »
I have been here for less than a week, but there are a few things...obviously friends and family...I'm very close with them, so it's an adjustment...other than that

- Veggie stuff (we're spoiled in Canada...there's a fake version of most kinds of meat, making being a vegetarian much easier)..also throw in just normal vegetables...seems to be pretty expensive/rare around here.

My ladyfriend was mentioning something about Korean fake veggie-meat the other day when I was whining about not having tofu dogs (I'm Canadian, too). She said you can buy veggie and soy based meats here in the major supermarkets. I'm not sure where they are, but this just reminded me. I'll ask her.

Offline Canonite

• Expert Waygook
  • o.O
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »

My ladyfriend was mentioning something about Korean fake veggie-meat the other day when I was whining about not having tofu dogs (I'm Canadian, too). She said you can buy veggie and soy based meats here in the major supermarkets. I'm not sure where they are, but this just reminded me. I'll ask her.

Awesome, thanks! That would be much, much appreciated :) Also, you're from Vancouver, aren't you?
*click*

Offline Fallon

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
I miss
my car
my screened in porch
my sister's dog
my sister
my oven
coors light
camel lights
cracker barrel
ben's chili bowl
warm mashed potatoes
decent salads

Offline infogoddess

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
pie and decent beer

I live out in the sticks so it is very hard to find limes so I stock up when I make it to Seoul because there is nothing like a gin and tonic at the end of the day
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment